48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 250490 times)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The truth about Latas please...
« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2006, 09:38:18 PM »
For those of us who don't have 1001 memories of the guy, imagine our children, what is there to prove that this man was as great as we all think he is? Let me hear alyuh. [/b]

The children of tomorrow need only look at the difference in the Soca Warriors squad during qualification after he made his return.
Hart for president

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2006, 07:42:16 AM »
Latas WAS Boavista when he was there and that is why Porto bought hime. he was part of the team that went from a small side to a serious title contender.

When he went Porto he suffered from a mix of stepping up to a big club and a change in team management.

Juma, latas was at Porto first.  He suffered at Porto because bobby robson had a rotation policy at the time and never really settled on a starting midfield, due to the number of good players at his disposal.

Latas is the best player that Trinidad and Tobago ever produced.  Both he and Yorke and world class, but i would put Yorke as the greatest because he did something that a Trinidadian might never do again.

He topscore in de flicking champions league!!

ah love it!!

Not taking anything away from Dwight but his many goals in the CL are part due to excellent service from Man U's 1999 midfield.

They don't get the goals; mostly the strikers do....Latapy is one of dem midfielders. Of course the midfielder attacks and gets his share in goals...but rarely you'll see a midfielder on any #1 topscorer list.  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2006, 08:43:33 AM »
Latapy's problem, as one poster mentioned earlier, is that his game can only flourish based on the mentality of a team. Like how he has Falkirk playing a passing game.Nearing the end of the last season, they were fighting against relegation so they changed their approach cause they were scrapping for survival, thus latas influence waned (plus theobald say tha's why he couldn get sweat).

That has really been his curse. He went to Portugal with Leonson and they made Academica an attractive team and then Porto came in. Because of his stature and because of Trinidad, he had to prove himself to Bobby Robson and the fans and couldn just walk on. Howver, I think a change in mamangement brought a change in philosphy.

The thing is, not many managers can handle ''flair'' players, because u have to base the game around them for them to flourish. This can affect a manager's philosphy and in most cases, it affects their ego because suddenly the team is being based around a player while managers try to instill that it is ''my team'' and that we play as a team. This is why Ronaldinho wasn't as big as he is now, even though he was just as good, when he was at PSG. Fernandez couldn handle big players.
Ginola, Waddle, Gascoigne, Rui Costa when he went to Milan, Veron at ManU...thses are players who accustomed bossing the midfield but certain coaches doh know how to work with that and get the best out of their players. This is what hurt Latas the most. If u name is Maradona or Zidane or u are a Brazilian...u have that rep coming into the team so people know, big name, big player...u just support him. But Latas didn have that so they just couldn give him the boss role at a ''big'' side like Ranger or Porto to allow him to show the fans that he is the boss, and base the team around him like is done at Falkirk and Boavista where he is ''GOD'' like he is to us.

That's also why Beenie bench him in the World Cup. If Beenie was here during the 90's and grow up watchign Trinidad football on tv liek we see the EPL, things woulda be different. But flair players always run that risk.

That is also why Yorke had to adapt to being a striker. When he first left, he and Latas were both Attackign Midfielders vying for the same spot under Gally, until public outcry insist Yorke must start. At Villa, because it was a ''big club'' Yorke had to adapt his game in order to get a sweat otherwise he woulda remain in obsucrity just because he come from a county with no rep cause he wasn;t goign to get that position to be ''d man'' in the midfield who the play goes through. Latas was always d man and when he went to portugal it was with Academica so he never had to worry about adapting in order to sweat. Tha's where Yorke get the edge over him.

But Latas is the greatest bar none, we al lknow that. We just can't prove it. Kinda like how people who see Di Stefano insist that he better than Pele and Maradona, and he have stats to back it too. But nobody else really care except his supporters.... :-[
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2006, 11:05:55 AM »
In all this talk about greatness...let's not forget what Yorke was able to accomplish, playing at the top of his game, at the top of the sport (the EPL at the time was arguably the best league in the world...top two definitely with the Italian).  Unfortunate that Latas (my sentimental favorite) didn't get a better oportunity to display his talent on a bigger stage, but ultimately he made his mark against inferior competition compared to Dwight.  Not meant as a slight to Latas...just cold, hard facts.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2006, 11:20:24 AM »
I remember some time ago on UWI ground someone praising yorke about how good he was ...Yorke told him Russel was better...at the time !
Latapy is the best player I have ever seen for Trinidad. Yorke is the best trinidadian player I have seen playing for his club..you work it out !
is is like the question of who is better ..maradona or Pele ...not even FIFA could answer that one and they have all the facts !
I wonder if they could clone Latas  ??? ???

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »
First of all, any  player from the English speaking Caribbean who was not good enough to make it into the EPL cannot be considered to be a great player.  He might be considered a good or very good player.   We all understand that to be considered great a player must play with the best, and/or against the best, and demonstrate his or her superior ability  among those players.   Not to offend anyone, ...we have been down this road many times,  and as others have also  pointed out Latapy’s achievements  to date are not significant enough for him to be labeled as a great player.

Many of us appreciate hearing the sentimental stories about Latapy in U16 etc. Nonetheless in many sports,  demonstrated brilliance at a young age does not always translate into success as a professional.  Recently, there has  been  a number of stories about the number 1 picks in the NFL draft who dropped out of the league after a few short seasons, or those who simply did not live up to expectations as a professional.  A person who achieved the status of number 1 pick in the NFL draft must have been brilliant in University and in all likelihood a star in high school and his hometown. 

For me...Latas is the best footballer I ever see in a T&T uniform.  Make that in any Caribbean football uniform.  Make that in any CONCACAF region uniform.  Bar NONE.  Dwight Yorke is an excellent player....but footballer for footballer....FOR ME....He not in latas' league.
That statement destroys your credibility. 

How many have seen Latapy play as a club professional?   Again, like many others I also sense that Latapy is a very good player.  That said, everytime this topic comes up, there have not been any independent evidence/criteria for Latapy’s greatness; that is the talk and possible status always hinges (or threads ) on Yorke’s achievements, a sort of parasitic relationship. There are many other very good T&T footballers (for example Leonsen Lewis, Jameson, ) whose professional backgrounds are not dramatically different from Latapy’s, and who also  really performed for the country,  so  how come we don’t hear as much about those fellaz.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 07:02:45 PM by StoreBayLimer »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2006, 10:49:45 PM »
First of all, any  player from the English speaking Caribbean who was not good enough to make it into the EPL cannot be considered to be a great player.  He might be considered a good or very good player.   We all understand that to be considered great a player must play with the best, and/or against the best, and demonstrate his or her superior ability  among those players.   Not to offend anyone, ...we have been down this road many times,  and as others have also  pointed out Latapy’s achievements  to date are not significant enough for him to be labeled as a great player.

Many of us appreciate hearing the sentimental stories about Latapy in U16 etc. Nonetheless in many sports,  demonstrated brilliance at a young age does not always translate into success as a professional.  Recently, there has  been  a number of stories about the number 1 picks in the NFL draft who dropped out of the league after a few short seasons, or those who simply did not live up to expectations as a professional.  A person who achieved the status of number 1 pick in the NFL draft must have been brilliant in University and in all likelihood a star in high school and his hometown. 

How many have seen Latapy play as a club professional?   Again, like many others I also sense that Latapy is a very good player.  That said, everytime this topic comes up, there have not been any independent evidence/criteria for Latapy’s greatness; that is the talk and possible status always hinges (or threads ) on Yorke’s achievements, a sort of parasitic relationship. There are many other very good T&T footballers (for example Leonsen Lewis, Jameson, ) whose professional backgrounds are not dramatically different from Latapy’s, and who also  really performed for the country,  so  how come we don’t hear as much about those fellaz.

With all due respect ah have to alert de formites  ....TATA ALERT !!  TATA ALERT !! BIG BIG TATA ALERT !! ALL YUH WATCH OUT IT LACED WITH PURE .. :bs: :bs: :bs:

yuh got to be joking  ??? ??? ???   :bs: :bs: :bs:
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2006, 11:17:19 PM »

For me...Latas is the best footballer I ever see in a T&T uniform.  Make that in any Caribbean football uniform.  Make that in any CONCACAF region uniform.  Bar NONE.  Dwight Yorke is an excellent player....but footballer for footballer....FOR ME....He not in latas' league.

Because I state something you may not happen to agree with, it "destroy my credibility?"  Wha part of "FOR ME, and Latas is the best footballer I EVER SEE in a T&T uniform" you doh get?  Who is you to determine if my opinion or what I see is credible or not?

Haul yuh sanctimonious, insular ass wit dat shit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:20:31 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2006, 06:41:59 AM »
Ahm....allyuh aware de man does check out dis forum every now an then

Not that I think he would give one ass about anybodys opinion of him at this point...but still....

By de way...Latas have chirren?..ah son even?
Any of his brothers have chirren?.....prodigy skills does genetically jump sometimes yuh know
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 22, 2006, 09:14:56 AM »
First of all, any  player from the English speaking Caribbean who was not good enough to make it into the EPL cannot be considered to be a great player.

So is EPL or nothing fuh you? That is de league to end all leagues ent? Steups. Allyuh EPL-worshippers is something else yes.

By de way...Latas have chirren?..ah son even?
Any of his brothers have chirren?.....prodigy skills does genetically jump sometimes yuh know

Latas had a son last year  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 22, 2006, 09:35:55 AM »

With all due respect ah have to alert de formites  ....TATA ALERT !!  TATA ALERT !! BIG BIG TATA ALERT !! ALL YUH WATCH OUT IT LACED WITH PURE .. :bs: :bs: :bs:

yuh got to be joking  ??? ??? ???   :bs: :bs: :bs:

Yuh didn't have to give ME de alert.  I was getting a hissing sound and an acrid fecal smell emanating from my computer as soon as I turned it on!!   :rotfl:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 22, 2006, 10:54:45 PM »

Because I state something you may not happen to agree with, it "destroy my credibility?"  Wha part of "FOR ME, and Latas is the best footballer I EVER SEE in a T&T uniform" you doh get?  Who is you to determine if my opinion or what I see is credible or not?

Your suggestion that because you include ``for me’’ etc,  in your statement that that somehow makes it plausible or acceptable  is simply not true.  Is it possible to turn incredible statements into credible statements by simply putting ``For me’’ or  “in my opinion”  in the statement? In general the answer is no.  If a  person makes the  statement  `` For me 1 + 2 = 5,” then it is easy to reject that.  Likewise you might think that your statement is notsimilar because it might involve some judgment.  But performance is sport is quantifiable, and in fact with the clock and the numerous measures (assists, goals, touches of the ball),  it is easy to see  that some  statements are of the form `` For me 1 + 2 = 5.”  Is it possible to hide one’s bias or preference when talking about the best or great by including ``for me’’ etc. In general the answer is no. And that is also partly because the use and understanding of best and great in some ways contains a negation of ``for me’’ etc.  If a golf commentator says that David Duval is the best golfer of this generation because he made the lowest score in a round on the PGA tour. Then whether he adds ``for me’’ or not is irrelevant, his judgment is clearly questionable and his other statementsabout profs golfers could not really be taken as reliable.  And that is in spite of the fact that Duval does hold the record for the lowest in a round

The only part of  my original post that should be rewritten is the sentence with reference to parasitic ...  .   But I notice that a recent topic
 Which player in world football now reminds you of Latapy??
 is addressing the gist of the complaint. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 11:02:23 PM by StoreBayLimer »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2006, 07:01:43 AM »
To the author of this post....

I have been wondering about getting a compliation of the man's best moments.....and I know the idea has been bandied about on this forum, so I hope it really comes to fruition....ah want de first copy  :).......all I can say is my memories of him are mostly from the Strike Squad days and whenever he played for the National team after that.....

I have no memories of him from his overseas exploits.....(as opposed to seeing Dwight all the time.....Man U vs. Bayern Munich 1999 Champions League final.....what a classic!!!....but I digress.... ;D)

I can also say dat I honestly cyar say I ever see de man play a bad ball....it amazing every touch was pure magic......So while I is ah Tobagonian and ah goh have a slight bias fuh Dwight...

De truth is de man is de greatest I ever see in a TnT juzzy   :beermug:  :beermug:....and speaking of juzzy....

Dey plan to retire dat # 10??.....ah find dey should......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 23, 2006, 01:44:01 PM »
yes it was bradford city and it was not football reasons he did not get the contract, also jorge casagrande the brazillian coach got trails and scholaships for quite a few guys back in those days . to tell how trinidadians taught and still think today one guy who he got a trial with stoke city said he came back because all they did was play two touch football

Thanks for that confirmation, Zuri, I had heard some sumour as to why he didn't get the contract but I wasn't concerned.  He is still a boss!!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »
Your suggestion that because you include ``for me’’ etc,  in your statement that that somehow makes it plausible or acceptable  is simply not true.  Is it possible to turn incredible statements into credible statements by simply putting ``For me’’ or  “in my opinion”  in the statement? In general the answer is no.  If a  person makes the  statement  `` For me 1 + 2 = 5,” then it is easy to reject that.  Likewise you might think that your statement is notsimilar because it might involve some judgment.  But performance is sport is quantifiable, and in fact with the clock and the numerous measures (assists, goals, touches of the ball),  it is easy to see  that some  statements are of the form `` For me 1 + 2 = 5.”  Is it possible to hide one’s bias or preference when talking about the best or great by including ``for me’’ etc. In general the answer is no. And that is also partly because the use and understanding of best and great in some ways contains a negation of ``for me’’ etc.  If a golf commentator says that David Duval is the best golfer of this generation because he made the lowest score in a round on the PGA tour. Then whether he adds ``for me’’ or not is irrelevant, his judgment is clearly questionable and his other statementsabout profs golfers could not really be taken as reliable.  And that is in spite of the fact that Duval does hold the record for the lowest in a round

The only part of  my original post that should be rewritten is the sentence with reference to parasitic ...  .   But I notice that a recent topic

OK Storebay.   You made this statement right? 

First of all, any  player from the English speaking Caribbean who was not good enough to make it into the EPL cannot be considered to be a great player.

Well.....dat statement wuss dan 1 + 2 = 5.  In oddah words....with all due respect....yuh talkin shit!

How's dat fuh facts?!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:53:34 PM by palos »

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #255 on: August 23, 2006, 03:23:31 PM »

storebaylamebrainer...
de saying same shit different day doh even apply to this post ...this
tutu yuh post eh de same amount as before is way way much more...Yuh cud add up whatever yuh want,EVERY POST YUH MAKE  = SH!T SH!T AND MORE SH!T yuh shud change yuh name tuh latrinelimer ....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 03:31:09 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 23, 2006, 07:21:04 PM »
[
storebaylamebrainer...
tutu yuh post eh de same amount as before is way way much more...Yuh cud add up whatever yuh want,EVERY POST YUH MAKE  = SH!T SH!T AND MORE SH!T yuh shud change yuh name tuh latrinelimer ....

AH lorse count...dat is clash number 37 or 38??
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 23, 2006, 10:27:46 PM »
[
storebaylamebrainer...

AH lorse count...dat is clash number 37 or 38??

:rotfl: :rotfl: ......buh de man talking shit wha yuh want mey tuh say  ??
....39 ...40 ..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 10:30:39 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 24, 2006, 05:35:30 PM »

Well.....dat statement wuss dan 1 + 2 = 5.  In oddah words....with all due respect....yuh talkin shit!

How's dat fuh facts?!!

It would be more useful to point out why that criteria as one of the tests for greatness (in T&T football) is incorrect or irrelevant.  Can you do that? It would  help your case/cause and likeminded supporters are waiting for an answer.    Of course one can think of various hypothetical circumstances involving other leagues, but when one looks at the distribution of T&T players in the various leagues over the last 20 years, it is unlikely that the distribution will change significantly in the next 10 years.  Hence again, at this time, one can say that in order to be eligible for consideration of greatness in T&T football, the player must have played in the EPL.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 24, 2006, 05:50:02 PM »
It would be more useful to point out why that criteria as one of the tests for greatness (in T&T football) is incorrect or irrelevant.  Can you do that? It would  help your case/cause and likeminded supporters are waiting for an answer.    Of course one can think of various hypothetical circumstances involving other leagues, but when one looks at the distribution of T&T players in the various leagues over the last 20 years, it is unlikely that the distribution will change significantly in the next 10 years.  Hence again, at this time, one can say that in order to be eligible for consideration of greatness in T&T football, the player must have played in the EPL.

Let's agree to disagree on this topic.

Respeck

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 24, 2006, 07:01:46 PM »

How's dat fuh facts?!!

more assness yuh talking .........you shud take Palos advice becuz your knowledge and vision of TnT football or football on de whole is very very limited..
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2006, 03:40:42 AM »
i don't think this thread is about gauging success based on achievements but its about gauging the best player based on natural ability..

essien plays for the best team in the EPL but most ghanains might tell you abedi pele is the best player they had.. Because mido played for spurs and roma, do you think egyptians rate him as a better player than Hassan?? Who was a better Colombian player Asprilla or Valderrama?? But Valderamma ent play no ball outside...

This could apply to any sports.. Do you really think Lennox Lewis was the best boxer of the last decade???

You're missing the point... Latas is the most gifted player we ever produced, and by extension, the best player we've ever produced... Yorke himself could tell you that.. Yorke is the most successful player we've ever had...

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2006, 03:57:31 AM »
i don't think this thread is about gauging success based on achievements but its about gauging the best player based on natural ability..

essien plays for the best team in the EPL but most ghanains might tell you abedi pele is the best player they had.. Because mido played for spurs and roma, do you think egyptians rate him as a better player than Hassan?? Who was a better Colombian player Asprilla or Valderrama?? But Valderamma ent play no ball outside...

This could apply to any sports.. Do you really think Lennox Lewis was the best boxer of the last decade???

You're missing the point... Latas is the most gifted player we ever produced, and by extension, the best player we've ever produced... Yorke himself could tell you that.. Yorke is the most successful player we've ever had...

AGREED
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2006, 10:57:31 AM »
I think the mere fact that whenever kudos are being given to latas Dwight's name always pops up and for that matter whenever kudos are being given to any local footballer simply because Dwight is definitely the greatest t&t footballer, no debate. I think the on field comparisons are unfair simply because they played different positions and even with positions they are different types of players. Latapy for all the ability that he has apparently never caught the eyes of those in really high places, i mean they can never be any comparisons with the leagues in Portugal and Scotland to the EPL, after the failed wc campaign for italia 90, how is it that Yorke caught the eye to go on to play in the EPL given that he only made substitute appearances over Latapy who had much more playing time? For those who dont know Yorke was an outstanding dribbler and has tremendous ball handling capabilities, these things have been removed from his game over the years to suit the roles he was given. Manchester did not want a dribbler they wanted somone to put the ball in the back of the net with one or two touches, Yorke was that man, and for me he would always be the MAN.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Falkirk 1 Dunfermline 0
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2007, 02:00:10 PM »
Falkirk 1 Dunfermline 0
By: stv.tv

13 Jan 2007

Rangers target Alan Gow's last-minute goal delivered victory for Falkirk in their Bank of Scotland Premier League clash at home to Dunfermline.

Torrential weather conditions dogged the match as driving wind and rain made it almost impossible to play measured football.

The result leaves the Pars nine points adrift of St Mirren at the foot of the SPL table and they look doomed to relegation.

Falkirk boss John Hughes gave a debut to on-loan Manchester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, the son of Manchester United and Denmark legend Peter, as Jeroen Lambers dropped to the bench.

Suspended duo Jim Hamilton and Phil McGuire both dropped out of the Pars side that beat Rangers last week with Greg Shields and new signing from Shelbourne Bobby Ryan both coming in.

The players struggled to cope with the atrocious weather conditions in the early stages of the match, with the ball proving difficult to control.

The Pars went close when a free-kick from the left by Owen Morrison was met with a glancing header by Shields which drifted wide.

On-loan Celtic player James O'Brien found space in the box in the sixth minute for the visitors but skewed a left-footed shot wide.

The Bairns went close after 20 minutes when Russell Latapy's free-kick broke to Kenny Milne whose goal-bound shot was blocked by the head of team-mate Gow and then cleared to safety.

The hosts went close again just a minute later after good work from Gow and Vitor Lima on the left saw the latter cut inside, but his left-footed effort was headed behind for a corner.

Falkirk came close again when Latapy threaded a ball into the box for Gow who flicked it into the path of Liam Craig.

From the just a few yards wide, the midfielder stabbed the ball wide.

Schmeichel was finally called into action on the stroke of half-time as he spread himself brilliantly to deny former Scotland striker Stevie Crawford who had been sent clear.

A long ball forward from Darren Barr in the 50th minute sent Craig clear on goal, but the strong wind blew the ball away from the player and Pars goalkeeper Roddy McKenzie cleared.

Three minutes later good work from Patrick Cregg and Latapy on the right created another chance.

A snap shot from Trinidad and Tobago star Latapy from inside the box was well held by McKenzie.

The hosts went close again when a Gow free-kick from the right after 63 minutes almost found Craig at the far post, but the midfielder was unable to connect from a few yards out.

An opener looked inevitable when Cregg sent Gow clear on the right of the box in 67 minutes, but the striker overhit a square ball for Lima who was free in front of goal.

The visitors were still a threat on the break and went close in 77 minutes when O'Brien knocked a ball into the path of Stephen Simmons but the midfielder sliced a right foot effort wide.

Craig threatened for the hosts three minutes later as he beat two men on the left and cut inside but lashed a right-footed effort well wide.

The winner came when Craig sent Gow clear on the left side of the box in the 90th minute and the striker's shot slipped under the body of McKenzie.

Falkirk will be hoping it is not a farewell goal, as Rangers continue in their efforts to land the in-form Bairns favourite.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: Falkirk 1 Dunfermline 0
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
The magician at work again!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2007, 06:10:26 AM »
NICE  ;)
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2007, 08:29:53 AM »
well done falkirk

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
Keep at it Latas keep makin we smile
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 14, 2007, 11:32:41 PM »
Dat is why ah cah put nothing else as meh avatar, he is we lil magician. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

1]; } ?>