48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 247701 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Firing Latapy not the answer
« Reply #1140 on: December 15, 2010, 07:21:33 AM »
Firing Latapy may not be the answer but it certainly will correct a past mistake. latapy should never have been given this job...he was not ready ...and still is not ready ...so removing him will create room for someone who is. Whether the TTFF in its wisdom or lack of it will bring someone who can extricate us from this mess is another matter.

You see before you can start an upward spiral you need to reverse the existing trend. We are sinking lower and lower ..if anyone has missed it.

I however hold little hope for any good decision by the TTFF because of  their history..now that the same officials have been returned >>>based on what :??? .....  I dont expect much.

Imagine Camps acceptance speech was the same words as Jack Warner's praising speech ...  :devil:

Someone remarked that the team could not get practice games ...I eh blaming the TTFF for dat one though ...who wants to play us ? we cant even fill our own stadium ... jamaica , Costa Rica , USA , Mexico , Honduras ..these are the regions " big Teams " ..Opponents not wasting time playing teams that cant beat Guyana ... now even Grenada have bragging rights over us !

latapy had a long enough run to prove that he could do the job ...longer than most international coaches ... we all know the song which appllies here ..." if you dont know me by now ...... you will never never know me ....oooooohhh ...

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #1141 on: December 15, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »
Keeping him is not the answer either.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 15, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »

Re: CONCACAF U17 Draw
« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:53:47 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T&T U-17S GROUPED WITH HOSTS JAMAICA,GUATEMALA IN CONCACAF FINAL ROUND    Print

Trinidad and Tobago’s National Men’s Under 17 team have been grouped with hosts Jamaica and Guatemala for the Final Round of CONCACAF Qualification towards the 2011 FIFA Under 17 World Cup.

This was determined at the draw in Montego Bay, Jamaica on Wednesday.
The fixtures will be released by CONCACAF within the next week but already T&T head coach Shawn Cooper and Youth development officer Anton Corneal were looking ahead to the tournament with optimism.

Well we know who is at least partly rsponsible for youth dvelopmen in T&T now.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 15, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
He ain't fired yet?  scheeeupss.  How come we does rush for everything else but doing the right thing?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 15, 2010, 06:09:11 PM »
He ain't fired yet?  scheeeupss.  How come we does rush for everything else but doing the right thing?
Breds, there's no way latapy remainin as coach, even if he had won the digicel cup! jack warner knows that latas eh ready and was only using him for the time being until he fixed his business.

remember, jack was concentratin on the bigger fish, which was the womens under 17 world cup ( which i'm sure he made ah killin) and the past mens under 20 world cup.

for the past two yrs jack was as busy as ah bee makin paper, and with his political ambitions accomplished and all the money makin ventures with the under 17's and 20's out the way, now he will break the bank and look tuh run for brazil 2014!

if jack warner really wanted to go to SA2010 we woulda went! all he needed to do was hire a good coach and made available the best players.

fear not, latapy gettin reshuffled into the yute program and we will see ah big name coach and technical director, and ah going as far as to say that on the  9th/ 10th of march we will be playing ah big team to start the 2014 campaign.   

just hold tight, jack still trying to land ah best coach, when he does he will replace latas.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 15, 2010, 07:50:38 PM »
As long as new day is coming for we football I good.  They could start with the announcement.  :)
Stop selling out Jack files.. :devil:
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 17, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Latapy appears in Hibs testimonial.
« Reply #1147 on: September 15, 2011, 04:17:00 AM »
Latapy appears in Hibs testimonial.
By Shaun Fuentes.

Russell Latapy returned to his old Stadium at Easter Road on September 4 to play in a testimonial match for former Hibernian team-mate Ian Murray.

The “Little Magician” was given a standing ovation at the highly anticipated event which saw the present day Hibs team line up against the Hibs Legends.

Former French star Patrick Viera and Robert Pires also made guest appearances in the match. The Scotsman newspaper described Latapy as the fans’ favourite while the Edinburgh Evening News said he was sublime as ever.

Latapy however missed the final penalty in sudden death which saw the current Hibs eleven win the affair after being deadlocked 5-5 in regulation time.

“These guys never lose the skill, they just lose the pace and happens to all of us at the end! But you saw with John's finishes and Russell's through balls they were exceptional players and we were lucky to get them back.

“This might be the last chance the Hibs fans will get to see them play, so it's great for them as well,” Murray said.

Latapy also added: “It was a special team with a top manager in Alex McLeish who has gone on to prove at Rangers, Scotland and now in the English Premier League.

“It was a tremendous team which played entertaining football which was great for the fans. I had some fantastic years with Hibs.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy appears in Hibs testimonial.
« Reply #1148 on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:58 AM »
http://youtu.be/jRNYE9Kbv7E

Some Highlights of the game

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 15, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »
Hahaha.....latas even miss his penalty with class and deception

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
He try that wrong-foot kick and hit it wide.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Ex-Hibs ace Latapy returns to Scottish football
« Reply #1151 on: October 19, 2011, 07:36:10 AM »
Ex-Hibs ace Latapy returns to Scottish football
By David Hardie (The Scotsman)

Former Hibs ace Russell Latapy is poised to make a sensational return to Scottish football at the age of 43 after signing for East of Scotland League outfit Edinburgh City.

The “Little Magician” jetted into the Capital last night and immediately headed for his first training session with his new team-mates at Peffermill ahead of Saturday’s William Hill Scottish Cup second round clash with Ayrshire Junior side Irvine Meadow. The Trinidad and Tobago legend has agreed a short-term deal with the Meadowbank-based club following a chance meeting with City manager John Green after Ian Murray’s testimonial match in which he’d starred for a team of former Easter Road aces against the current Hibs team.

Today Green revealed how that early morning chat in a George Street night club had helped his club pull off a major coup in persuading Latapy to pull on his boots once again.

He said: “I’d got talking to Russell at the after-match ‘bash’ following Ian’s game and he genuinely seemed interested in what we are doing, the whole ethos of Edinburgh City and the emphasis we put on coaching and bringing through youngsters.

“I rather had my tongue in my cheek when I suggested to him at the end of our chat that he should come and play for us. Russell indicated he would be interested but, to be honest, that’s probably as far as I thought things would go.”

However, the more Green thought of the possibility of luring such a high-profile player to his club, the more the idea grew on him, particularly the long-term benefits it would bring a squad boasting an average age of just 22.

Contact with Latapy was re-established, the upshot being the former Porto, Boavista, Rangers, Dundee United and Falkirk star flying from his home in Portugal to begin preparing for his City debut.

Green said: “I think my committee thought I was a bit crazy when I put it to them, but I believed Russell was sincere in what he’d said, that he was genuinely interested in what we were doing. He had said if he was available he would come over and help so I was happy to ask him again.

“We’d had a good conversation about football, Russell is a football man, a fantastic person and I’d felt he meant what he had said. If I hadn’t thought it possible I wouldn’t have pursued it so it was a case of if you don’t ask the question you don’t get the answer.”

Latapy’s arrival in Edinburgh – international clearance having been gained via the SFA from the authorities in the Caribbean – was kept a closely guarded secret with Green’s players totally unaware of what was happening until he joined them in training last night, but the City boss has no doubts the impact his presence will have.

He said: “Like Franck Sauzee Russell was only at Hibs for a small number of years but both of them became absolute legends, football fans everywhere, regardless of who they supported, recognised them as something special, players people wanted to watch.

“My son Daryl idolised Russell when he was at Easter Road ten years ago. He’s now 21 and studying in San Francisco but when I phoned to tell him our news he couldn’t believe it. So I am absolutely delighted to have Russell join us. As manager of the club I have a responsibility to recruit he best possible players but also a responsibility to do the right thing and Russell falls into that criteria.”

And Green believes Latapy will have an impact far beyond his influence on the pitch at a club which currently has some 300 players aged between six and 19 in their youth system. He said: “It’s not about trying to pull a trick on Irvine Meadow, Russell is here for the right reasons, he’s accepted the offer to come over and help us. There are no airs and graces about him and he’s certainly not come here as some sort of mercenary but because he understands what we are trying to do.

“He’ll certainly raise the profile of Edinburgh City, that’s for sure, and I’m certain he’ll cause a bit of a stir but his experience will benefit the whole club, I’m sure that however long he’s with us he’ll leave a lasting memory on us all.”

While Latapy will be passing on his expertise in training session for City’s youngsters, his presence is sure to attract a far larger than normal crowd than might have been anticipated to Saturday’s Cup tie, Green adding: “At £6 to get in and see Russell Latapy would, for me, be the only way I’d want to spend my afternoon.

“Along with Franck he’d be considered the best Hibs player in the last ten to 15 years. Football should be about skill, skill and more skill and that’s what Russell is all about.”

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:47:28 AM by Tallman »
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-Hibs ace Latapy returns to Scottish football
« Reply #1152 on: October 19, 2011, 07:43:58 AM »
This is a joke right?

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: October 19, 2011, 07:46:26 AM »
Wtf.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: October 19, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »
doh f*** me up....
waitt hahahahaha ah wonder if he go geh ah national recall...imagine that nah! :rotfl:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: October 19, 2011, 07:50:38 AM »
 :o ... dat after-match bash must of had real drinks!!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 19, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
That is what yuh call ultimate PIYONGNESS!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:18 AM »
Play till yuh cyah play no more ...  :beermug:

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
Form is temporary- Class is permanent Age is just a number. Well it depends at what level one plays/

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: October 19, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »
The man real thirst for football.  How many of us would turn down the chance to play pro ball even for 1 game?
Do yuh ting Latas!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 19, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
well is semi-pro football, several levels below the scottish premier league..

Do yuh ting Latas... when yuh finish I go give yuh a small contract with Soca Labourers here in NY

Free cigarettes, rum and transport
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: October 19, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
Go and enjoy your football Brother!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 19, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
He starting to resemble Roger Milla in truth.....
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 19, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »
nah man...nahhhhh... i just come back from scotland... I woulda be in the first in line for that match...
come on Edinburgh City..

by the way..up there i heard nuff lime talk about that benefit match..before and after it.......he scored in it as well...

There is only one Russell Latapy

Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 19, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »
wonder if he will talk Yorke into taking a sweat too

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 19, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »
Allyuh bad mind trinis let the man play nah ... allyuh stop playing yet?
Why should he?

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 19, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
I find Latas looking much older since he leave trini

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 19, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
Allyuh bad mind trinis let the man play nah ... allyuh stop playing yet?
Why should he?
classic line , i love it .
i

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:28 PM »
the fella lookin fuh food fuh de pot that's all! remember he loss out on ah lucrative deal when he was head hauncho here not too long ago, now he eh have no income so ah man hah tuh eat somehow.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ex-Hibs man Russell ready to cast a spell over city again
« Reply #1169 on: October 20, 2011, 04:36:54 PM »
Ex-Hibs man Russell ready to cast a spell over city again
By Anthony Brown (The Scotsman)

AS a man who was renowned for enjoying Edinburgh’s nightlife when he played for Hibs, perhaps it’s fitting that Russell Latapy’s latest, and surely final, transfer deal as a player was initiated over a beer in George Street’s Le Monde bar.

The little Caribbean magician’s well-documented penchant for the good life may have led him into a spot of bother back in his days as Hibs’ talisman at the turn of the millennium, but former Easter Road team-mate Ian Murray says Latapy’s most recent late-night actions in the Capital merely underline the decency and humility of the Trinidadian.

It was after Murray’s testimonial match last month that Latapy was introduced through a mutual friend to Edinburgh City manager John Green and the jovial chatter that unfolded over a few beverages eventually led to the unlikely prospect of the 43-year-old former Hibs, Rangers and Falkirk midfielder stepping out of retirement to sign for the East of Scotland side.

Green described the coup as akin to Manchester United legend George Best joining Hibs at the end of the career, while it also bears resemblance to the occasion former Serie A star Pasquale Bruno turned out for Cowdenbeath.

Recalling the events that led to his latest career move, Latapy said: “I met their manager through a close friend when we were out for a drink after Ian’s testimonial and we were having a laugh and a tongue-in-cheek chat about me playing for Edinburgh City.

He asked me if I fancied playing for them and I thought ‘yeah, why not’. We spoke again about it a bit more seriously a few times after that and I said ‘okay, I’ll get myself fit’ and here we are.”

Huddled inside a big puffa jacket as he shields from the cold snap which has been gripping the Capital, you have to wonder why the little wizard feels the need to don his boots again amid the onset of a Scottish winter when he really ought to be catching some late-autumn sun on Portugal’s fine golf courses. Genuine love of the game appears to be the main reason.

“I just love playing football, it’s my whole life. I consider Scotland one of my many homes. I have many fond memories from this country and just love being here. I also love being around football and an opportunity to play for a growing club who give opportunities to young players appealed. If I can pass on some of my experience to some of the young, up-and-coming players here, I’m delighted to do that. ”

Predominantly based in Portugal, where he admits to playing more golf than football in recent times, Latapy will be flying back and forth between Edinburgh and Iberia through the duration of his short-term contract.

He doesn’t know how long the unlikely alliance will last, but, for now, he is simply intent on enjoying his unexpected return to competitive football, starting with Saturday’s eagerly-awaited Scottish Cup second-round clash at home to Junior side Irvine Meadow.

So does he still possess the necessary level of fitness? “I messed about at five-a-sides twice a week with some former players in Portugal but, to be honest, I’ve spent most of my time on the golf course. Apart from Ian’s testimonial and helping out in training sessions when I was in charge of Trinidad I’ve not played any 11-a-side football competitively for two years.

“I still keep myself semi-fit and, although I probably couldn’t play in the SPL, I think I’m still capable of playing for Edinburgh City. I’ll only find out on Saturday how the old legs are, but my touch is still there.

I never really ran about that much even when I was younger anyway! I always let the ball do the work. I’ve not been told my role yet for Saturday but I’ll try and do whatever I’m asked to the best my body will allow.”

As he awaits an opportunity to return to management after being ousted as Trinidad and Tobago boss at the start of the year, Latapy admits the boyish desire for playing football that still burns inside him made it impossible to resist Green’s offer to return to action.

He knows he’s not got the legs to operate at the level he used to, but, despite the relatively low profile of the East of Scotland League, the chance to help out friends and represent a forward-thinking club who play at Meadowbank Stadium, just a stone’s throw from Easter Road, held no end of appeal for the Hibs legend.

Murray, who was emerging as a youngster at Hibs when Latapy was weaving his magic at Easter Road, is thrilled to see his old pal back, and urged the Edinburgh City players to savour playing alongside such a natural talent.

“The fact he’s willing to play for Edinburgh City shows that the wee man just wants to play football,” says Murray. “You’d get some players who wouldn’t entertain the idea, and wouldn’t return calls or whatever but Russell’s not like that. He’s the type of guy that always remembers that Scottish football was good to him and that’s probably got a lot to do with his decision to play for Edinburgh City.

“It’s a really good coup for them, especially with it being the Scottish Cup this weekend,” said the Hibs captain. “Without being disrespectful, it’s not often you get a player of Russell’s calibre playing for a team like Edinburgh City.

He played in my testimonial last month and all that he’s lost is the fitness. His football ability is all still there. The City players will definitely get a lift from playing beside him. It’s going to be a really special occasion for the club as well as for Russell because nobody realistically thought he’d ever be back playing a competitive match in Scotland.

“The Edinburgh City players need to make sure they enjoy playing beside Russell. It will add a bit of spice for them but they also need to make sure they don’t get sucked into the occasion and feel that every pass has to go Russell.

It’ll be tough for him fitness-wise, he’s not going to be running about changing the entire game, but he’ll certainly give Edinburgh City a better chance. He’ll just sit and spray passes about and he’ll be a threat at set-pieces.”

Latapy will make his City debut against a side Murray is familiar with after Irvine Meadow put up a brave fight in losing 3-0 to Hibs at Easter Road in the Scottish Cup two years ago. “They were a decent side,” recalls Murray.

“You could sense they got a bit of a lift from playing us and that’ll probably also be the case now that they’re going to be up against a player like Russell. We were fortunate to take the lead against them at Easter Road. If they’re of the same calibre then it will be a really hard game for Edinburgh City.

Irvine Meadow will be favourites but signing Russell will give Edinburgh City a bit of inspiration and should add a good few people to the gate. There’s every chance a few Hibs fans and even a few football fans will go along, so it will help the club financially and it’ll help them on the park.

The gate should swell by quite a few and I hope that is the case because Russell deserves it and Edinburgh City deserve it for trying to do something a little bit different and showing a bit ambition.”

If Latapy helps inspire his new team to a surprise win on his debut, Edinburgh’s nightspots should brace themselves for a convoy of Scottish Cup merry-makers from Meadowbank.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:04:53 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>