48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 247644 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hibernian Flashback: Russell Latapy
« Reply #1260 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
Hibernian Flashback: Russell Latapy
hibernianfc.co.uk

On a dreich Wednesday in the capital, www.hibernianfc.co.uk rewinds the clock to remember a prodigiously skilful player who wore the green of Hibernian with distinction, Russell Latapy; next month it will be 15 years since he made his Hibs debut against Ayr United.

His association with Hibernian was brief, but the charismatic Trinidadian left a lasting impression - this is his story:
When Russell Latapy moved to Easter Road in October 1998, Hibernian manager Alex McLeish quickly realised he had produced a sizeable coup in the transfer market.

But that proved to be an understatement because he had acquired the services of a wondrous entertainer and a true match-winner.

Latapy's friend and Trinidad and Tobago team-mate, Tony Rougier had recommended him to McLeish, who invited the then 30-year-old to participate in a bounce match against Brechin.

One piece of eye-catching individualism then sparked off an exciting chapter in Hibernian's history with Latapy enchanting McLeish and the club's supporters in the process.

While few Hibernian supporters would have recognised the diminutive Trinidadian before he joined the club, he arrived at Easter Road with an impressive cv.

He began his career in his homeland, but it was not until he moved to Portugal in the early 1990s that his career began to really take off.

After a spell with Academica Coimbra, the midfielder joined Porto and was instrumental in helping the club win back-to-back Superliga titles.

Success followed him when he moved on to Boavista and he picked up winner's medals in the Cup of Portugal and Portuguese SuperCup in 1996/97.

He then moved to Scotland in 1998 and instantly became a fans' favourite with the Easter Road crowd thanks to his extraordinary talent.

The languid lad from Port of Spain commenced a celestial sojourn in Leith with the team in green and illuminated Easter Road with moments of breathtaking skill.

Read More...
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Hibernian Flashback: Russell Latapy
« Reply #1261 on: September 11, 2013, 06:04:47 PM »
I still feel robbed that I haven't seen much of Latapy.

Legend indeed!!!  :notworthy:
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hibernian Flashback: Russell Latapy
« Reply #1262 on: September 11, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »
..."selling more dummies than a mannequin salesman...."  boss line
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Inverness eye Russell Latapy as assistant manager
« Reply #1263 on: January 09, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
Inverness eye Russell Latapy as assistant manager
Jim Spence (BBC Scotland Sport)

Former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Russell Latapy has been targeted by Inverness Caledonian Thistle manager John Hughes to become his assistant.

The 45-year-old, who also played for Dundee United, Hibernian and Rangers, was part of Hughes' side when he was in charge at Falkirk.

"Russell is my number one target," Hughes told BBC Scotland.

"He is currently working at Boavista in Portugal but is in Scotland at the moment doing his pro licence."

Latapy, who was capped 79 times, became his national team's manager in 2009 after a spell as assistant but left his post following their failure to qualify for the 2011 Gold Cup.

Hughes, who took over after Terry Butcher left for Hibs, has talked with the former midfielder while he has been on his coaching course.

And he hopes to have Latapy in the technical area for the match at Aberdeen on 18 January.

"He is a great guy with great experience and, if he can pass that on to the players here at Inverness, it would be fantastic," said the Inverness manager.

"I'm hopeful of having him with us sometime next week, but he is involved at Boavista at the moment and he would want to do things the proper way there before joining us."

Latapy began his career with Trintoc and Port Morant United in his homeland before moving to Portugal with Académica, Porto and Boavista.

After leaving Falkirk in 2009, he played briefly in his homeland with Caledonia AIA and briefly came out of retirement at the age of 43 to play for East of Scotland Football League club Edinburgh City in their 2011 Scottish Cup tie against Irvine Meadow.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Inverness eye Russell Latapy as assistant manager
« Reply #1264 on: January 09, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
Good to see Trinis in employment :)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: January 16, 2014, 05:25:35 PM »
John Hughes is ‘delighted’ that Russell Latapy has agreed his release from Boavista. He will join the Inverness Caley Thistle boss as his number two within the next fortnight.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-talk-january-16-celtic-3028921

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: January 16, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »
 :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: January 17, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
Hughes expects former team mate and coaching assistant Russell Latapy to take up his post as Inverness number two at the start of next week.

The 45-year-old former Trinidad and Tobago midfielder, who also played for Dundee United, Hibernian and Rangers, was part of Hughes’ side when he was in charge at Falkirk, where he also worked as a coaching assistant.

They were also team-mates at Easter Road and will team up again after Latapy left Portuguese side Boavista, where he was doing some coaching.

Hughes said: “Hopefully he will be here with us at the beginning of next week.

“He has been cleared by Boavista, he spoke to them and got their best wishes.

“Unfortunately for us he had a little bit of court business to do with the Trinidad FA for his time as Trinidad national manager and he had to appear in court.

“He is in Trinidad tying that up and if he is not here on Saturday, hopefully he is here next week.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/inverness-manager-keen-to-take-on-in-form-aberdeen-1-3272642

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: January 18, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
Hughes also explained some of the reasoning behind Russell Latapy's appointment as assistant manager at the Caledonian Stadium.

Latapy played with Hughes and Hibernian and played under him at Falkirk.

The 45-year-old former Trinidad and Tobago head coach will team up again with Hughes after leaving his coaching post with Portuguese club Boavista.

Hughes added: "I don't go in for taking in someone because he's a friend. I take someone in because he's good for the club.

"He's a very astute, clever tactician of football. He knows the game like the back of his hand and had a massive part to play in what we did at Falkirk.

"Collectively, as a team, he's good about the dressing room and he's a fantastic fellow. I'm looking forward to him coming in on Monday or Tuesday."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25795154

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: January 19, 2014, 05:48:07 AM »
Lets hope something comes of this - with some international experience behind him he could come back and really add something to the game in T&T

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Russell Latapy to join John Hughes in Inverness
« Reply #1270 on: January 24, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »
Russell Latapy to join John Hughes in Inverness
By Alasdair Fraser (The Scotsman)

JOHN Hughes is urging his Caley Thistle players to soak up every trick in the repertoire of the man they still call “The Little Magician” in Trinidad, as Russell Latapy will today finally put pen to paper on a deal to become Hughes’ assistant manager.

Weeks of wrangling over the terms of departure from his past club Boavista in Portugal caused a delay in Latapy’s return to Scotland. The 45-year-old former Porto, Hibs and Rangers midfielder was also embroiled in a $5 million court action against the Trinidad and Tobago FA.

That disagreement over past payments as coach of the nat-ional squad has finally been settled out of court, leaving Latapy free to fly into Inverness. He was scheduled to arrive last night.

Latapy will be on the training ground at Fort George this morning and Hughes, who worked with his close friend at both Hibs and Falkirk, believes he will prove invaluable to the club. Above all, Hughes will tell Thistle’s youngsters and attack-minded players to grasp the opportunity to watch and learn.

Hughes will never forget footage of Latapy bossing the midfield for Porto against Sampdoria in the 1995 Cup Winners’ Cup quarter-finals. And he also remembers Dwight Yorke placing Latapy above Manchester United colleagues David Beckham and Paul Scholes in his best-in-the-world team.

Hughes views Latapy as a world-class talent whose lengthy years in Scotland belied his true status. While he joked about supplying a wheelbarrow for Latapy and his court case pay-off, Hughes was deadly serious when assessing what he would bring to the training ground.

The Inverness manager said: “Russell, I’m delighted to say, is flying up to Inverness at tea-time tonight, so he will be on the training ground with us tomorrow. What does Russell bring? He will be a perfect part of the team here and fit right in to the dynamics of the club.

“He is very clever on tactical work and his philosophy on how the game should be played.

“I’ve spoken to him about where we are as a club, and where we want to be. He totally understands that.

“He’s just a fantastic character and a very approachable, humble guy. He’s the sort who would give you the last penny in his pocket. He was a world-class footballer and, trust me, I don’t say that lightly.

“People ask how could he be a world-class footballer when he played much of his football in Scotland. But, believe me, Russell was world-class. To back that up, I watched a programme on Manchester United TV where Dwight Yorke named him in his all-time greatest team.

“He had Latapy in there before Scholes and Beckham, the lot of them – that’s how good he was.

“Russell once gave me a DVD of him playing for Porto in Europe against Sampdoria, where they lost eventually on penalties.

“Russell was up against two Italy internationals in Attilio Lombardo and Roberto Mancini, the ex-Manchester City boss, but he just ran the show.

“He can work with the so-called technical players at the club and pass on wee bits and pieces, individually and collectively. If any kid here doesn’t take the chance to grasp it and learn from Russell then he’s a fool. I can remember the young lads at Falkirk really taking to him and he has this great trick on him which Scott Arfield picked up and made part of his own game.”

Latapy’s seriousness about coaching is underlined by his work on backing up his talent and experience with hard coaching qualifications.

Hughes stressed: “Russell is just finishing his Uefa Pro Licence as well, so he is mad serious about his coaching.

“A lot of what we did at Falkirk was down to him. He will be a kindred spirit here, that’s for sure. He’s a tough cookie. Don’t ever underestimate him. I just think he will be a fantastic fit for this club.”

Hughes, meanwhile, is looking to add a striker as back-up to Billy McKay before the January transfer window shuts. But he stressed he would not be too upset if the month passed without fresh signings.

He said: “We are wanting good footballers with a good character, no matter what position they play in. But the position we will probably be looking at is centre forward.

“You don’t really want to bring anyone in to sit on the bench, but if anything happened to Billy Mckay it would be a mad rush to go and get someone.

“But there are so many players coming back to fitness, even if we didn’t bring anyone in I would be happy with what we’ve got. We have players who can adapt and play in a number of positions.”

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: January 24, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
Uefa Pro License....nice going.  Good to see some of our best players really getting certified and being students of the game. 

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:11 PM »
Big-up to Latas and congrats on your appointment!! :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

If only the TTFA can sort itself out properly some of you guys can come back home and contribute to the development of T&T football in the future!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:02:19 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: January 24, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
“He can work with the so-called technical players at the club and pass on wee bits and pieces, individually and collectively. If any kid here doesn’t take the chance to grasp it and learn from Russell then he’s a fool. I can remember the young lads at Falkirk really taking to him and he has this great trick on him which Scott Arfield picked up and made part of his own game.”

A ex-Falkirk youth player had a laugh with me about walking into the dressing room after training and stumbling upon Latas with a cig in his mouth. Said he was in awe. Truth is ... he was still in awe years later. He shared the story with me July, 2013.

Happy fuh Latas.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: January 24, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
I still vex I ain't see the best of Latas  oui. I want to see that DVD Hughes talk bout oui.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: January 24, 2014, 05:09:02 PM »
I still vex I ain't see the best of Latas  oui. I want to see that DVD Hughes talk bout oui.

Here's a clip of the second-leg from Youtube, quality is not the best and even then only a few glimpses of Latas.  Sadly his missed penalty more or less sent Sampdoria through.  Side note:  Sampdoria score de lone goal on a sweet volley from Roberto Mancini (ex- Man City, current Galatasaray manager).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Hc3FrQ90OE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8Hc3FrQ90OE</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 25, 2014, 05:16:43 AM »
Thanks Bakes. Appreciate the vid.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 25, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »
Inverness boss John Hughes welcomes former player Russell Latapy to coaching team
By Michael Gannon (Scottish Daily Record)

John Hughes reckons Russell Latapy will be box office at Inverness – after telling stadium staff the dugout duo were Hollywood stars George Clooney and Denzel Washington.

The two men are relishing their Highland reunion after Latapy checked in yesterday and finalised a two-and-a-half-year deal as Yogi’s No.2.

The double act – which was first formed at Falkirk – was already in full swing as the Trinidad and Tobago man was introduced to the squad with Hughes comparing the pair to a couple of film stars.

A club insider said: “Yogi was going around introducing Russell to staff and saying they were George Clooney and Denzel Washington.

“Yogi has a long-standing image of himself as a dead-ringer for Clooney but no one else sees it!

“It was all good fun and Russell will fit right in.”

The Caley Thistle gaffer is delighted to hand his old pal a starring role back in Scotland.

Hughes said: “I’m thrilled to bring Russell on board.

“He’s a shrewd operator who knows the game like the back of his hand. He’s a real technician but has no ego and is an excellent mixer so he’s the right fit for our club.

“He also has the expertise to offer individualised coaching to a few of our players to benefit their game.”

Latapy left a coaching role at Boavista to hook up with Hughes and is looking forward to life in the Highlands.

He said: “John and I have had a great relationship over the years and I’ve taken the decision to leave Portugal to link up with him again.

“Caley Thistle is a community club and I look forward to working with everyone to make an effective contribution.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 27, 2014, 05:33:31 PM »
Russell Latapy: Exclusive First Interview for Inverness Caledonian Thistle

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rXesh6SYPF0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rXesh6SYPF0</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy wants slick football at Inverness Caledonian Thistle
« Reply #1279 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:52 PM »
Latapy wants slick football at Inverness Caledonian Thistle
BBC Sport

Russell Latapy's long-term goal as assistant manager to John Hughes is to help Inverness develop an entertaining style of play.

The former Rangers, Falkirk and Hibs midfielder arrives in the Highlands ahead of Sunday's League Cup semi-final with Hearts and is keen to get started.

"The boys are quite upbeat and in good spirits," said Latapy.

"They're quietly confident that they're going to go out and do their best, so hopefully we can go and get a result."

The former Trinidad and Tobago manager, who is best known in Scotland for his time at Easter Road, says he is looking forward to making a contribution at Inverness Caledonian Thistle and helping maintain the club's form over the past two seasons.

Hughes, who was appointed manager when Terry Butcher left in December, moved quickly to appoint Latapy as his assistant, the two having spent time together as players at Hibs and in a coaching capacity while Latapy was with Falkirk.

"When you look at the club and what it has achieved over the years, it's a privilege for me to be part of what is happening, to have the opportunity to work with John again," said Latapy.

"It's difficult to say exactly what I'm going to bring, but my role is assisting in doing whatever I can to make the players better and ensure we get results.
"Basically, whatever is needed is what I'll be prepared to do.

"But everything takes time - first and foremost, we have to get results because football matches are about winning.

"Obviously, we would like to do it in a particular way.

"There's a lot of quality in the dressing room, so I think within time, we would try to develop a style which Yogi (John Hughes) is known for.

"I think, coming in right now and asking the players to make big changes when they've had a lot of success over the past years would be unfair to everyone involved.

"We want to play the way we did at Hibs and Falkirk, where we had some success, but it's not going to happen overnight."

Latapy, known as the "Little Magician" for his style of play during his time in Scotland, admits that the Scottish game has changed significantly due to the absence of Rangers from the top-flight, but believes the current emphasis on youth players should help boost local talent in the long run.

"In those days, we had the Old Firm teams, which definitely made a difference," said Latapy.

"A lot of teams survived because they got the following of the Old Firm - but without Rangers being in the top league, it definitely makes a difference.

"I would also think that before, ten years ago, the clubs would go out and buy quality because the money was available, so what's good at the present time is that young players are getting the opportunity to come through and gain experience from an early age, because there isn't the money that was there before.

"But I think Scottish football will see the benefit in the national team in a few years to come."

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 29, 2014, 06:22:59 AM »
One of the worst coach to coach T&T, hope he improve now. And if he coach de way he does talk, de team might drop asleep in de locker room at half time.

Cant forget he was offered two friendly games before we play Costa Rica and he say no, hell no, he prefer just pay for de team to go to Tobago to jog around Shaun Park and get fit for a World Cup match, then when de real game start, after 65 mins we was bun and Costa Rica came back and buss we ass.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 29, 2014, 06:52:55 AM »
One of the worst coach to coach T&T, hope he improve now. And if he coach de way he does talk, de team might drop asleep in de locker room at half time.

Cant forget he was offered two friendly games before we play Costa Rica and he say no, hell no, he prefer just pay for de team to go to Tobago to jog around Shaun Park and get fit for a World Cup match, then when de real game start, after 65 mins we was bun and Costa Rica came back and buss we ass.

He's still young and has a lot to learn - hopefully he will take his qualifications seriously and enrol on as many courses as possible. My old uni Warwick actually does football management courses/degrees and the like, looked very interesting to say the least, especially when they would helicopter in players/referees in teh summer.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
League Cup final: Latapy won’t preach to players
« Reply #1282 on: March 16, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
League Cup final: Latapy won’t preach to players
By Andrew Smith (The Scotsman)

YOU could take it as read that tips about tippling on the eve of a cup final would never be orthodox when coming from Russell Latapy.

Not when the Inverness Caledonian Thistle assistant manager, infamously, was sacked by Hibernian two weeks before the 2001 Scottish Cup final. Latapy’s crime was an unauthorised night out with Dwight Yorke which ended in a drink-driving charge for the Hibs player.

Inverness will contest their first national final this afternoon when they go head to head with Aberdeen for the League Cup and Latapy, a fabled lover of the high life, didn’t preach abstinence when asked what he would say to his squad about any plans for rest and relaxation ahead of the big day.

“The best advice I can give the players is: obviously you know yourselves better than anyone,” he says. “Whatever you need to do to get yourself in the best possible shape to win the cup final, get it done. If that entails going out and having fun, don’t get caught.”

Latapy’s fondness for partying was a Scottish media staple during his playing days. It didn’t help that his high-profile clubbing chums included childhood friends Yorke and cricketing great Brian Lara. Latapy’s cigarette habit didn’t help either but he has always had one ace card to prove that the impression of him was more smoke than fire. “Once you have a reputation it is very difficult to lose it,” he admits. “But the truth is I played professional football until I was 40. So there is no chance I could have been all that bad. If I had done all that stuff I would never have played till I was 40. It’s about choosing what you want to do at the right time.”

Now 43, Latapy pitched up at Caledonian Stadium two months ago as second in command to his long-time associate John Hughes. It is a potentially momentous time for the club, a point not lost on Latapy. Across 25 years of a professional playing career in which his sorcerer-like skills won him admirers at Portuguese clubs Academica, Boavista and Porto, as well as at Falkirk, Hibs and Rangers, in particular, he calculates he appeared in only “four or five” finals. Only one brought a winners’ medal, the 2002 League Cup final in which Rangers ran out 4-0 victors over Ayr United. That record is perhaps why his stand-out cup memory is of being the only one of nine players to miss a penalty in a shoot-out that allowed Sampdoria to progress to the semi-final of the European Cup-Winners’ Cup at Porto’s expense in 1995. “I let myself down in that particular instance,” he said.

Latapy doesn’t dwell overly much on the possibility he let down Hibs in 2001, with regret not a word he seeks to apply to the events that brought his days at Easter Road to an abrupt end. “I don’t know if I would say that I regret it,” he said. “What I would say is that I wish things had turned out differently. These occasions are rare. Especially for Inverness – this is our first – so we are hoping the boys can go out, put on a good performance and get a result the whole of the Highlands can be proud of. I also want those boys to come back having enjoyed a special day in their career.”

Latapy will experience it thanks to the special relationship he enjoys with Hughes, who was captain of Hibs when the Trinidadian signed in 1998. They hit it off immediately and Hughes signed Latapy for Falkirk when he moved into management in 2003, and later brought him into his coaching circle at that club. On recruiting him for Inverness, Hughes said it was not a “pally-wally” relationship, a fact confirmed by Latapy.

“We’ve always had a very strange relationship,” he says. “I suppose you could say it’s a love and hate relationship. Sometimes we love each other and at other times we are down each other’s throats. I think that’s one of the ingredients you need in order to move things forward. You can’t always agree.

“When I came to Scotland for some reason they put me next to Yogi on my first day in the Hibs dressing room. Our relationship developed from that day. Even when I’ve been out of Scotland we have spoken to each other. It’s a mutual respect that we share and we also know that neither of us got anything easy in football. We both had to work very hard. If you see somebody else who has put in the work and has achieved a certain amount of success you respect that.

“We both really want to play football in a way that has brought success in the past. That involves getting the ball down and passing. Obviously that is a way of playing that doesn’t come overnight. In the management business the job is about getting results. So yeah, you want to get that identity and play a certain style of football but the reality is you only have so much time before things turn on you.”

Latapy knows that from bitter experience. He was coaching at Boavista when Hughes’ latest call came but between 2009 and 2011 the 79-capped player was given the reins at his international side in what was his first senior coaching post. Across 23 games in charge, Trinidad and Tobago recorded only nine wins. Latapy points to mitigating circumstances and the shadow cast by Jack Warner, the controversial FIFA vice-president and a “special advisor” to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation until 2011. Three years ago FIFA’s ethics committee suspended Warner and he stepped away from the game shortly afterwards.

“I think every manager’s goal or dream is to manage their national team at some point and I’m no different,” Latapy says. “I was offered that job before I was offered a job in club management and I had to take it. After 20 years representing Trinidad I wasn’t going to turn my back on them. There was a transition happening at the time in Trinidad football. The Jack Warner saga was going on. It was the end of his era and it was always complicated. In terms of sponsorship from the government and the private sector, with all the things that were alleged against Jack Warner nobody was putting any money in. If I had the opportunity to get into club football first I suppose I would have. Getting back into the game was not the easiest thing to do.”

Sometimes, reputations do not help.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »
......just don't get caught!!!!!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Watkins hails Latapy impact
« Reply #1284 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
Watkins hails Latapy impact
By Jamie Durent (The Inverness Courier)

BRINGING in Russell Latapy as assistant manager has helped winger Marley Watkins improve his game.

Since the former Soca Warrior joined the coaching staff at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Watkins believes Latapy’s football philosophy can only benefit him and his Caley Jags teammates.

The Trinidadian followed manager John Hughes to the Highlands and during his playing days with Hibernian, Rangers and Falkirk and was known for his penchant for the innovative.

“You can tell in training that Russell was a player with a bit of skill. He’s nutmegged a few of the boys, but not me yet!” Watkins said.

“He’s good and he likes to play football the right way — on the deck. He also likes to take you to one side and will tell you a few things to help your game, which is good.

“Both myself and Aaron (Doran), with our ability, just need to show that end product whether it’s a cross or a shot.

“Russell wants us to be creative, but to keep it simple in our half of the pitch. Then, when you’re in the final third, just play with freedon, express yourself and make stuff happen.”

While delivering some promising performances this season, including netting his first goal in the 3-0 derby triumph over Ross County in February, the former Hereford man believes there is more to come from him next season.

“I wasn’t sure what to expect coming up here, but looking back I’ve had some man of the match performances, so I’ve had my good moments,” he said.

“Because I know what will be coming next season, it’s going to be easier for me to prepare for it. There’s been moments where I’ve been really good, but then there’s been times where I’ve been a bit inconsistent.

“I’ll work on my game over the summer and next season I will come back stronger.”The Caley Jags have their first post-split fixture this Friday as they welcome Aberdeen to the Highland capital, with sights still firmly set on snatching a European birth.

Inverness are eight points behind third-placed Motherwell with five games to go and have a midweek trip to Fir Park on the 7th May.

Watkins insists Caley Thistle will not be getting ahead of themselves as they seek to crown a dream season.

“Trying to get into Europe is the aim, but we’ve got to take it one game at a time. However, there’s no reason why we can’t get good results in all of them,” he said.

“In patches we’ve played well. Against Ross County I felt we were particularly good. Both myself and Aaron came into the side and we gave the team some width, but we also kept the ball really well.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 15, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
was a player with a bit of skill

Bit of an understatement, there!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:12 PM »
The King
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:09 AM »
I've always wanted a DVD of the Championships winning seasons Latapy played with Porto? Anybody have anything????

Offline SWF Reporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy complains about Tim Kee run-around; considers legal options
« Reply #1288 on: July 20, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »
TTFA misses Latapy payment; unpaid staff goes on rotation
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868)

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) continues to operate at the edge of financial ruin as, despite general secretary Sheldon Phillips’ sunny disposition, the local football body seems clueless about how to pay its bills while it allegedly dodges debtors.

In January 2014, TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee agreed a seven digit out-of-court settlement with former “Soca Warrior” and football icon Russell Latapy for outstanding salaries owed for his stint as national head coach.

The TTFA, according to Latapy’s local agent Wayne Mandeville, was due to pay half the agreed figure in June 2014. Instead, Mandeville claimed that the deadline passed without word from the football body and he accused Tim Kee, who is also the Port of Spain Mayor, of avoiding Latapy.

“They have taken a strategy of avoidance,” Mandeville told Wired868. “Tim Kee is avoiding dealing with Russell and they are not even accepting calls or returning calls.

“Even if you have some financial issues, which Russell understands, to go about trying to avoid having a conversation with him and anyone associated with him is sad.”

Tim Kee did not answer or return calls on the matter from Wired868. However, Phillips stated that he was available for dialogue on the issue.

“While I can’t speak for Mr. Tim Kee on Mr. Mandeville’s comments, I can assure you we are doing everything we can,” said Phillips, “to take care of Mr. Latapy and the other coaches/technical staff who are owed salaries.

“Mr. Mandeville has my contact information and I want to make clear that it is not our intent to make him or Mr. Latapy have the feeling they are being avoided. As the person who handles daily operations of the FA, I am always accessible and will reach out as well.”

Latapy, who is assistant manager at Scotland Premier League club Inverness, is understood to be keeping his options open with regard to the TTFA’s failure to meet its legal obligations.

Meanwhile, the TTFA faces the possibility of a more direct threat from 13 World Cup 2006 players who will decide over the coming days whether to hand the football body a fresh ultimatum.

Despite Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s pay-out of $8.3 million (US$1.3 million) to the Warriors last month, the TTFA remains legally indebted to the players. And there was a strong suggestion from several players that they will continue with the case so as to hold former TTFF special advisor Jack Warner accountable for over $200 million in unaccounted World Cup revenue.

“When we started (this case) we wanted to see the books,” former World Cup goalkeeper Shaka Hislop told Wired868. “Then it became evident very early on that Mr Warner and the TTFF were not prepared to produce valid accounts. And it became less about what we were owed and more about what he was willing to pay to avoid us seeing the books…

“But now as (Warner) continues to make desperately misguided statements about the settlement and the case and we have the winding up order on the table, it gives us the opportunity to settle this in a not-so-orthodox manner and go after the accounting books.”

Tim Kee, in a recent radio interview, suggested that he was unwilling to go after the missing money and preferred to “eat little and live long.”

Hislop suggested that position could have dire consequences for the TTFA.

“The ideal circumstance is for the TTFA and the players to do this together,” said Hislop. “They have assured me that they are willing to pursue the missing funds… and I continue to believe that even though I am fully aware that some of their public statements contradicted that.

“But I also know that I am in a minority in that regard. If they do not come good on what they have saying to me privately, the majority of the group wants to exercise that winding up procedure on the TTFA (to enable the liquidator to go after its creditors).

“I have always gone with the group and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.”

Former technical director Anton Corneal, who resigned his post in April 2014, is also owed a seven-digit sum by the TTFA and is anxious to be paid for his years of service.

“I would like the TTFA to do what is right,” said Corneal. “People who work hard need to be rewarded financially because this is how I have to earn my living; through coaching.

“I hope they will see it fit very soon to find a solution to this problem. This was my job that I was doing so hopefully things will work out in the very near future.”

The TTFA also owes Pro League champion DIRECTV W Connection a cash prize of $50,000 for the 2013 TTFA FA Trophy title while Central FC is due $30,000 and North East Stars and Malabar FC are owed $10,000 each.

In a Wired868 interview on 13 February 2014, Phillips said the football clubs were days away from being paid for their success in the FA competition. Five months later, they continue to receive empty promises.

“We haven’t received the funding yet and I am disappointed with it,” said Connection president David John Williams. “We have had several promises but nothing has been forthcoming. I have been in constant communication but they keep saying next week.

“And they have been saying that since January.”

The TTFA’s financial shortcomings have affected its national teams too. The football body has not had a technical director since April while men’s head coach Stephen Hart confessed his frustrations to Wired868.

At present, the football body receives rent free accommodation at the Hasely Crawford Stadium but had its phone lines disconnected for non-payment at the start of this month. By Thursday, the TTFA’s office staff would have gone three months without pay.

“From (tomorrow), some staff has been told to come in on Monday and Wednesday and some will come on Tuesday and Thursday while everyone will come out on Friday,” said a TTFA insider, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “That is how it will be until…”

Wired868 understands the TTFA has not yet received its FIFA allocation for this year due to accountability issues. The FIFA press office has not yet confirmed this.

Tim Kee, who is also the PNM treasurer, is the chairman of the TTFA’s financial committee although the body is yet to convene formally.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:27:26 AM by Flex »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Now Latapy sues TTFF ...for $5m
« Reply #1289 on: July 20, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
Latapy reminds me of the girl who marries your abusive husband and expects him to be different with her.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>