48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 247904 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Latapy Thread
« Reply #1320 on: May 30, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »
Well done Latas!

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1321 on: June 18, 2015, 01:55:21 AM »
‘Little Magician’ stars at Flow clinic.
By Sean Taylor (Express).

Long-time local football legend Russell Latapy was the feature attraction at the St Mary’s Grounds, St Clair, yesterday, as the Flow Legends Community Outreach Programme continued their mandate to give back to the children through football.

The company hosted yet another football clinic in the buildup to the British Airways Legends Tobago Football Challenge, after having former English football stars tour several primary schools in Tobago. Fabrice Muamba formerly of Bolton Wanderers, and Rachel Yankey ex-Arsenal Ladies player, were also in Trinidad and Tobago to conduct clinics. Yankey paid the St Augustine Girls’ team a special visit a month ago.

Yesterday, feature the “Little Magician”, Clayton Ince, as well as ex-Liverpool player Stan Collymore. They were all on hand to run separate drills with the children, who were all members of the Queen’s Park Cricket Club’s (QPCC) football youth development programme.

Deryck Murray, who played in 62 Test matches for the West Indies said that the QPCC are making a concerted attempt to mirror their efforts in cricket, in football. He said that with a 125-year pedigree of fostering cricket legends, it was time to expand their influence to football.

The “Little Magician” was enthusiastic about what Outreach Programme was doing. “It’s playgrounds like this where we all started,” he told the Express. “I think it’s a fantastic initiative, whatever is being provided to help the improvement of the young football players is always welcome as a good initiative.”

The clinic itself was a success, despite being cut short by fading light. The youngsters were drilled in many facets of the game, including shooting, passing, close control, goal keeping and even a small scrimmage near the end.

Latapy, Ince and Collymore will all be at the Legends Challenge this weekend. Stern John, the all-time top scorer for the Soca Warriors, will also be in Tobago but did not attend the clinic.

All 64 legends will arrive in Tobago and visit the communities for extended clinics. The legends will be playing for Arsenal, Aston Villa, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and there will be a team of Caribbean All Stars and Professional Footballers Associations (PFA) All Stars.The BA Legends will conclude in a six-a-side tournament which will take place at the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Saturday and Sunday.

STILL GOT IT: Russell Latapy, otherwise known as the “Little Magician” manipulates the ball while explaining fundamentals of the game for the young players of the Queen’s Park Cricket Club. The former Soca Warriors captain partnered with ex-national custodian Clayton Ince and ex-Liverpool player Stan Collymore in the Flow Legends Outreach Programme Football Clinic at the St Mary’s Grounds, Serpentine Road, yesterday. —Photo: Stephen Doobay

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1322 on: June 18, 2015, 02:06:41 AM »
Latapy, Ince inspire QPCC Academy footballers
By ASHFORD JACKMAN (NEWSDAY).

MOST, IF not all the youngsters who participated in the FLOW Legends Community Legacy Outreach exercise yesterday afternoon may never have seen Russell Latapy play for Trinidad and Tobago, but the experience probably inspired most to strive harder to succeed at the Beautiful Game

.For just over an hour, the fortunate aspiring youths, all members of the Queen’s Park Football Academy, worked on their skills with the ball under instruction from Latapy, ex-Liverpool striker Stan Collymore and former TT goalie Clayton Ince on the St Mary’s College ground in St Clair.

The event was made possible by Columbus Communications’ Business Solutions arm, resulting from a partnership with the QPCC Academy that is now into its second year.

“At various points in our history,” said Queen’s Park president Deryck Murray, “we have dabbled in football.” Now, he added, the academy represented a more organised approach to the development of the game at a club that is synonymous with cricket.

Approximately 105 youngsters, ranging between the ages of six to 15, took part, all fully dressed in the familiar light blue of the world famous club, and spread out in age groupings at various points of the sprawling Saints playing field.

Latapy, the former national captain and much-travelled midfield genius worked first with the most senior group, while Collymore took the 9-10 boys through their paces, and Ince conducted drills with half-a-dozen aspiring goalkeepers; other coaches from the academy ensured no group was inactive at any time.

Earlier, Latapy drew a link between his early years and the groups of beginners eagerly awaiting their instructions.

“We reminisce on when we were at this age,” he said. The “Little Master,” who turns 47 later this year, added, “We’re proud to be part of the start of the journey for some of these kids.” It was just over two weeks ago that Latapy won the Scottish Cup as assistant coach at Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Asked whether there was any possibility of returning to coach the national team one day, he was cautious in his reply.

“Nothing is impossible,” he told reporters. “But there’s been a lot of turmoil in football... there would have to be a lot of organisation and clarity before anything could be considered.”

Latapy left last night for the sister isle and the two-day Tobago Football Legends Challenge, to be played at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet this weekend.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 18, 2015, 02:07:08 AM »
‘Little Magician’ stars at Flow clinic.
By Sean Taylor (Express).

Long-time local football legend Russell Latapy was the feature attraction at the St Mary’s Grounds, St Clair, yesterday, as the Flow Legends Community Outreach Programme continued their mandate to give back to the children through football.

The company hosted yet another football clinic in the buildup to the British Airways Legends Tobago Football Challenge, after having former English football stars tour several primary schools in Tobago. Fabrice Muamba formerly of Bolton Wanderers, and Rachel Yankey ex-Arsenal Ladies player, were also in Trinidad and Tobago to conduct clinics. Yankey paid the St Augustine Girls’ team a special visit a month ago.

Yesterday, feature the “Little Magician”, Clayton Ince, as well as ex-Liverpool player Stan Collymore. They were all on hand to run separate drills with the children, who were all members of the Queen’s Park Cricket Club’s (QPCC) football youth development programme.

Deryck Murray, who played in 62 Test matches for the West Indies said that the QPCC are making a concerted attempt to mirror their efforts in cricket, in football. He said that with a 125-year pedigree of fostering cricket legends, it was time to expand their influence to football.

The “Little Magician” was enthusiastic about what Outreach Programme was doing. “It’s playgrounds like this where we all started,” he told the Express. “I think it’s a fantastic initiative, whatever is being provided to help the improvement of the young football players is always welcome as a good initiative.”

The clinic itself was a success, despite being cut short by fading light. The youngsters were drilled in many facets of the game, including shooting, passing, close control, goal keeping and even a small scrimmage near the end.

Latapy, Ince and Collymore will all be at the Legends Challenge this weekend. Stern John, the all-time top scorer for the Soca Warriors, will also be in Tobago but did not attend the clinic.

All 64 legends will arrive in Tobago and visit the communities for extended clinics. The legends will be playing for Arsenal, Aston Villa, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and there will be a team of Caribbean All Stars and Professional Footballers Associations (PFA) All Stars.The BA Legends will conclude in a six-a-side tournament which will take place at the Dwight Yorke Stadium on Saturday and Sunday.

STILL GOT IT: Russell Latapy, otherwise known as the “Little Magician” manipulates the ball while explaining fundamentals of the game for the young players of the Queen’s Park Cricket Club. The former Soca Warriors captain partnered with ex-national custodian Clayton Ince and ex-Liverpool player Stan Collymore in the Flow Legends Outreach Programme Football Clinic at the St Mary’s Grounds, Serpentine Road, yesterday. —Photo: Stephen Doobay
is that harry potter on the right of the screen with his foot on the ball standing next to the blond kid?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 18, 2015, 10:47:36 AM »
now yuh talkin Latas. I watching & listening too, as I'm sure many others capable of getting a little something in. "Please sir, I want some more"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 19, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
Video Report http://www.tv6tnt.com/sevenpm-news/-FOOTBALL-LEGENDS---308310631.html

Football Legends Russell Latapy, Clayton Ince and Former Liverpool striker Stan Collymore were busy passing on their skills yesterday to the youth as part of the Flow Legends Community Outreach Programme

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 02, 2015, 12:20:17 PM »
WATCH this short tribute video to former Rangers star, Russell Latapy. Pay attention to the sublime skills displayed at 1:21.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GKob7aaAWww" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GKob7aaAWww</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Russell Latapy poised to leave Caley Thistle
« Reply #1327 on: July 04, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
Russell Latapy poised to leave Caley Thistle
By Alex Martin (The Press and Journal)

Caley Thistle assistant manager Russell Latapy is poised to leave the Highlanders.

Manager John Hughes remained silent on Latapy’s destination, but confirmed the former Trinidad and Tobago manager is keen to take charge of his own club.

Latapy missed Inverness’ 2-1 friendly win against Deveronvale at Princess Royal Park last night, with Brian Rice, who was Hughes’ assistant at Falkirk and Hibernian, watching on from the stands.

Hughes would be keen to team up again with Rice should Latapy depart, but claimed: “It’s miles away. Russell has hinted he wants to be his own man and pursue something new.

“I understand that and he would go with our best wishes. There’s something happening for him, but there’s nothing concrete.

“That’s all I can say on it at the moment.

“I’ve always been mates with Brian. It just so happens Brian is over visiting me, and people have put two and two together. If Russell did go and Brian fancied it, it would be something we would certainly look at.

“I asked Brian to come up and oversee things and cast an eye over things, that’s why he’s up here, I don’t know how things will materialise.”

Inverness once again fielded trialists J J Hooper and Jordan Roberts, who has agreed terms with the Highlanders but is awaiting clearance from the SFA before his move can be completed.

Hughes drafted in a third trialist, former Plymouth Argyle midfielder Oliver Norburn, who lasted 45 minutes before being replaced by Liam Polworth after suffering an ankle injury.

The Caley Jags manager is keen to assess 22-year-old Norburn again in Tuesday night’s match against Forres.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 04, 2015, 05:12:07 PM »
Ah hear he partner "Sancho" trying to recruit him for Central lol
Notice how quiet he and Yorke is after 2006 - yuh have tuh wonder if ' Jack the beans talker"  had fix them up nicely. Lol

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Assistant manager Russell Latapy leaves Caley Thistle
« Reply #1329 on: July 09, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »
Assistant manager Russell Latapy leaves Caley Thistle
By Andrew Clark (The Press and Journal)

Inverness Caley Thistle have confirmed that assistant manager Russell Latapy has left the club.

Latapy has spent 18 months in the Highland capital as number two to John Hughes but will now move on in a big to kickstart his own management career.

After confirming his decision to leave, Latapy said: “My journey here has been fantastic and I have enjoyed every minute of my time in Inverness culminating in us finishing third in the SPFL and winning the William Hill Scottish Cup, a massive achievement for any club let all alone ICTFC.

“I have never hidden my ambition to one day be my own man in management terms and I believe now is the time.

“I would like to thank the supporters, players and all the staff for their support and co-operation during my time at the club including John for giving me the opportunity.

“I would also like to say I have enjoyed my time in the Highlands, it is a wonderful place to live and I have been made most welcome and have been extremely well treated by everyone at the club and the city of Inverness. I would like to wish the club and the team continued success in the future.”

Caley Thistle chairman Kenny Cameron added: “Whilst we are particularly sorry to see Russell depart for pastures new, we fully appreciate his desire to further develop his undoubted talents in a new environment and accordingly, all of us at ICTFC take this opportunity to thank him for everything he has brought to the club over the past 18 months.

“Specifically in terms of his knowledge, skills, commitment and great humour, all of which have greatly contributed to our recent successes.

“Russell will always be remembered here at ICTFC, as a member of a great winning team. We wish him every success going forward.

“I recognise that any form of organisational change brings with it, its own range of challenges.”

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 10, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »
Any rumours or where he gone to? I would hope he have something concrete before leaving...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 14, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »

Celebrating 53 years of Independence, CTV salutes soca warrior Russell Latapy

https://www.facebook.com/ctntworld/videos/10153021258712826/

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Russell Latapy looking to become first black manager in Scottish football since John Barnes' spell at Celtic
By Stephen McGowan (The Scottish Daily Mail)

Eighteen years since he made Scotland his home Russell Latapy can count the unsavoury incidents on one hand. Racism has been a rare and unusual cold caller.

'The only thing I really remember was at a particular football ground here in Glasgow,' he tells Sportsmail in a west end cafe. 'I won't say which.

'I was playing for Hibs and there was an older guy belting out racist comments in the stand.'

AC Milan's Kevin Prince-Boateng took an uncompromising approach to this kind of thing, storming off the pitch and forcing the abandonment of a friendly two years ago. Latapy preferred a less demonstrative approach.

'I scored a double that day and used it as motivation to help us to win promotion,' he says chuckling.

A Google search reveals just one other reported race incident towards the end of his playing career. Ironically, the match involved Hibs – where he enjoyed iconic status – whilst he was player coach of Falkirk. A group of five supporters were questioned by police for crude racial discrimination. Latapy strains to remember the incident in question.

'Whatever people said to me didn't get to me,' he shrugs. 'I was only ever doing my job.'

The issue is pertinent now for one reason. Assistant to John Hughes at Inverness for 18 months the 46-year-old left after the Scottish Cup victory in May. The plan now is to strike out on his own. To become the first black manager in Scottish football since John Barnes and his short-lived, nine month tenure at Celtic.

Born in Laventille, Port-of-Spain, a district of Trinidad, Latapy's CV boasts experience as a number two at Falkirk and in the Highlands. There was also a challenging apprenticeship in charge of his national team under the auspices of Trinidad's 'special advisor' Jack Warner.

Warner and FIFA President Sepp Blatter have been quick to deflect accusing in the British press by playing the racism card. Discredited figures, their claims are easy to dismiss. Fifteen years since Barnes suffered ignominy at Parkhead, however, Latapy regards the dearth of black managers in Scottish and English football as conspicuous.

'In Scotland you have four divisions with 42 clubs,' he points out.In the English league there are four divisions and the conference as well.

'They have over 100 clubs down there. So that's approximately 150 managers across the UK. But you can count on the fingers of one hand how many of them are black. One hand.'

The statistics are damning. Of the 230 clubs which make up the seven tiers of English football below the Premiership level only 14 – or 6.5 per cent of the total - have black managers. In Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales there are none. This despite 14 per cent of the UK population being of ethnic origin.

Asked what this says about British football in 2015 – or his own prospects of becoming a manager - Latapy opts to drink from a glass half full.

'It's like everything else. Things change. I see a process of change now.

'You see Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink doing a good job at Burton. Chris Ramsay suffered a relegation at QPR, but they gave him the responsibility to take the team forward.

'We've seen others like Chris Powell, Chris Hughton and Paul Ince. So it is changing. In England at least. And I would like to be part of that process of change up here in Scotland.'

The only man to have managed in Scotland's top flight, the Barnes / Celtic experience ended desperately badly. Since then Barnes has managed Tranmere Rovers in 2009 after a spell with the Jamaica national team. But last year he complained bitterly that black managers rarely enjoy the second chances granted to their white counterparts.

'I don't remember too much about what happened at Celtic for Barnes,' says Latapy.

'You never know if a first job is right for you, that's the problem. You can't pick and choose. If Celtic comes along and offers you the chance that's the kind of job you can't say no to.

'But you need the opportunity to give it a go.'

A former Rangers player Latapy harbours no expectations of a call from Parkhead any time soon. He did talk to Alloa chairman Mike Mulraney, but decided to stay at Inverness.

'I trust Scottish football to give me a fair chance at management. I believe eventually it will happen.

'One of the issues in the past was that a lot of the black players who played the game never took coaching badges.

'They just didn't believe they would get the opportunity. But there are a lot of black ex-players now as qualified as anyone else. I am one of them.

’It's only a matter of time before someone comes on the scene and makes a statement. Listen, I don't know if I think 'I'll be the first successful black manager in Scotland.'

'I just think I want an opportunity to show what I can do. I think positive all the time. Why can't it be me? I think about the game. About what I can do.

'Whatever race or nationality you are I don't believe jobs should be allocated based on the colour of your skin.'

Or, he hopes, on past reputations. One of the great mavericks of the Scottish scene, a diminutive conjurer who also played for Rangers, Falkirk and Dundee United, he blew the chance to play for Hibs in the 2001 Scottish Cup Final when he was caught behind the wheel of a car in Edinburgh intoxicated. Dwight Yorke, his best friend, countryman and a renowned Manchester United striker in his day, was by his side.

'I always enjoyed my life,' Latapy says now with rueful understatement. I enjoyed a night out. I still do. But your wants and your needs change as you get a bit older.

'Dwight Yorke is still my friend but he's a bit older now as well.'

Where Yorke was once more likely to hook Latapy up with female admirers he introduced him eight years ago to a more enduring and passionate relationship. With golf.

'Dwight and I prefer a glass of wine and a nice meal now and arrange a round of golf instead of hitting the town,' he claims. 'It's normal for us to be up at 7am for 18 holes.

'We don't find fun the way we used to these days.'

At Inverness Latapy would take to the Dundonald Links at 7am for 18 holes before training. His handicap was pared down to six and this week he returned to Portugal to play some rounds in warmer climes.

'It's too late for me to play professionally,' he admits, regret in the voice. 'But I entered the Inverness amateur open recently and made the cut.

'Golf is a game for gentlemen. You have to be honest and trust others. It teaches you about discipline, decision making and life.'

He has three children and a home in Portugal – where he won trophies with Sporting Lisbon and Boavista – but his preference is to find a stable environment in England or Scotland.

He was his own man once. Assistant coach to Columbian Francisco Maturana he took the national team reins in the middle of a World Cup qualifying campaign.

'I basically worked for two years without getting paid,' he recalls with a shake of the head. 'There comes a time when you have to say, 'enough.' The more I pressured them for my money the more excuses they made.'

The funding for the Trinidadian association came from the government. The cash dried up when Warner, a politician, businessman and football fixer, aligned himself with the opposition.

'The official name for Jack Warner's post at the time was ‘Special Advisor', Latapy laughs. 'A quick synopsis of how it worked was this. He made all the decisions and other people signed the contracts.

'I knew exactly what I was getting into. But how many people in my situation would say no to Jack Warner? I'm not going to walk away from a chance of my first job – especially if it's managing my national team.

’But the main benefactors of the national team were the Trinidadian government. And Jack Warner decided to go into politics and stood for a rival party. I was caught in the middle.'

Capped over 100 times for his country Latapy has countless Warner anecdotes, but prefers to let sleeping dogs lie. He yearns to return to Trinidad one day to, 'clean up the game' – his words. But his first love now is Scotland and its iconic, sweeping fairways,

'I have been here for a long time now, around 18 years all in. I know the Scottish game, the Scottish people. The reality is that if I want to make my mark as coach it will have to happen in Europe.

'I was fortunate enough to have an interview with the chairman of Alloa and felt that went well. I thought the job was there for me. But I just felt it wasn't the right time to leave Inverness. It's a different situation six months later.

'Maybe now I would take an opportunity like that if it came along. But first someone has to give me the chance.'

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: November 20, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »
WATCH: Ministry of Sport's press conference concerning the payment of monies owed to former Head Coach, Russell Latapy
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r3Pgtlqz3WU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r3Pgtlqz3WU</a>

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: November 20, 2015, 07:26:41 PM »

the MOS reminds me of

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: November 20, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »
Russell Latapy wants to come back home , I truthfully gave up and forgot about him , but he didnt gave up on us I guess .Fans are so fickle they've said , I suppose , one bad outting and we write them off , even if the greatest of all time , the Supreme Magician Russell Latapy.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:47:25 PM by Quags »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:36 PM »
Russell Latapy wants to come back home , I truthfully gave up and forgot about him , but he didnt gave up on us I guess .Fans are so fickle they've said , I suppose , one bad outting and we write them off , even if the greatest of all time , the Supreme Magician Russell Latapy.

what stopping him from coming back?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Now Latapy sues TTFF ...for $5m
« Reply #1337 on: November 21, 2015, 06:52:19 AM »
Latapy to finally get US$1M coaching salary.
By STEPHON NICHOLAS (NEWSDAY).

Former national coach and TT football legend, Russell Latapy, will finally be paid his salary for his tenure at the helm of the Soca Warriors from 2009-2011.

Minister of Sport Darryl Smith, in a press conference at his Ministry’s Office in Port of Spain yesterday, announced that “The Little Magician” will be paid half of the US$1 million that is outstanding to him by the Government.

The funds will be derived from the subventions to the TTFA and will be disbursed in quarterly tranches of US$200k, US$200k and US$100k respectively. The TTFA has been entrusted to come up with the remainder of what is owed to Latapy.

Smith, an ex-national youth football player, described Latapy as someone he always looked up to and believes clearing the debt owed to him was necessary.

“Russell has been someone who has represented Trinidad and Tobago and worn the red, white and black on his heart and sleeve since he was a young boy right up to the senior level up to Germany (World Cup). He also took the opportunity to coach which shows his patriotism.

“Whatever may have been the issue then, it is something the TTFA inherited, no fault of (Tim Kee), no fault of Russell, he wasn’t paid monies that was due to him and this is something that we want to clean up. When we were approached to assist in the payment of Russell as a start of the clean-up, we took it with two hands running.

We think it’s something that should be done and speaking with the public they are also in support because it’s taxpayers money. Once you put out efforts and work just like everyone in our daily lives, you should be compensated.

Russell did it almost for free for that period of time. It’s the past, we move on but the only way we could move on is to rectify that,” he said.

Latapy, 47-years-old, thanked the Minister for intervening and also lauded TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee for the conciliatory approach he adopted on the matter.

“I’m delighted that we are at this particular position right now. In my mind it’s a situation that is long overdue. I know that Mr Tim Kee inherited a situation that he didnt create. He was really good in our conversations and he agreed to take up the responsibility that he inherited. It’s been a long overdue situation and I am happy that we’re in this place right now. It took a lot of hard work and conversations but we’re here.

“It’s difficult for football to move on when you have so many situations like this hanging over your head...It’s difficult for coach (Stephen) Hart to work under situations where players are not being paid, he is not being paid.

We have a lot of talent in this country and for these young people to have a good opportunity we need to clean up sport.” Raymond Tim Kee, president of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) was present and expressed delight that Latapy was finally getting what was due to him. He lamented the previous TTFA approach of not paying its debts which he said he could not understand.

“I cannot sit by and allow a person who has brought so much joy and happiness to us to have to go to court to fight for his own money,” he stated. Tim Kee, questioned whether having to pay Latapy with Government subvention would hinder other programmes of the TTFA including the Road to Russia World Cup qualifying campaign, said he was optimistic it would not be affected.

“We have started to put income generating initiatives in place to help us do what we have to do.

It’s something I want to raise with the Minister about national teams who representing the country. My position is any team that represents the country is not representing the TTFA - it’s representing the country and therefore the state has a responsibility to take care of (them)...Those income generating initiatives will demonstrate to the national stakeholders both state and corporate....

The constitution will allow for confidence to come back once more because once your (good) name is lost that’s a huge task to regain but we are pursuing winning back the confidence of the national community. As the team continues to win and move forward...As the Minister said once you start to win people will come forward and want to assist.

RELATED NEWS

Latapy to finally receive payment.
By Ian Prescott (Express).

The long awaited process to pay remaining money owed to local football icon Russell Latapy began yesterday with Sport Minister Darryl Smith committing to 50 per cent of the US$1 million owed to the former national football captain, for his services as Trinidad and Tobago's senior men's national team coach between 2009-2011.

Payment will be made in quarterly instalments, beginning with a first payment of US$200,000, and will be made through the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association's annual subvention from the Ministry of Sport (MOS).

Meanwhile, the former national player and coach, is quietly confident the Trinidad and Tobago national football team will do well during the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup campaign.

A former assistant coach at Inverness Caledonia Thistle in Scotland, Latapy, 47, was on hand to witness the Soca Warriors draw 0-0 with the United States in a World Cup qualifier in Port of Spain on Tuesday night.

“From what I saw on Tuesday night, I am quietly confident we will do very well,” Latapy said. “I do believe in this group of players.”

Latapy warned against complacency. He urged national senior men’s coach Stephen Hart and his players to continue working hard and take every opponent seriously. “I want to say congratulation to coach Hart.

VIDEO: - Ministry of Sport's press conference concerning the payment of monies owed to former Head Coach, Russell Latapy

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 07:02:07 AM by Flex »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: November 21, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
1 million dollars owing and Scottish golf courses + family and the chance to manage in Scotland.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 21, 2015, 04:23:40 PM »

LONG LAST*
Latapy to finally receive payment

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151120/sports/long-last

The long awaited process to pay remaining money owed to local football icon Russell Latapy began yesterday with Sport Minister Darryl Smith committing to 50 per cent of the US$1 million owed to the former national football captain, for his services as Trinidad and Tobago's senior men's national team coach between 2009-2011.
Payment will be made in quarterly instalments, beginning with a first payment of US$200,000, and will be made through the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association's annual subvention from the Ministry of Sport (MOS).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:23:34 PM by Sando prince »

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 21, 2015, 04:47:53 PM »

LONG LAST*
Latapy to finally receive payment

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151120/sports/long-last

payment + 50% + us$200k + ttfa annual  + mos  =  taxpayer$
                                             subvention

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1341 on: November 22, 2015, 05:45:46 AM »
Latapy warns Soca Warriors against complacency
T&T Newsday Reports.

Former National head coach and captain Russell Latapy has expressed a level of optimism for the progress of local football and the local governing body, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

Speaking a day before departing for Europe after holding meetings with officials of the Ministry of Sport and the TTFA, the former FC Porto midfielder added that there was still a lot of work to be done to attain the levels of some of other top nations in CONCACAF and outside of the region, but he was confident that positive change is ongoing.

Latapy is set to receive half of his 2009-2011 salary that was owed to him and thanked Minister of Sport Darryl Smith and TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee.

And as to whether he believes the TTFA can continue the course towards improved operations and governance, Latapy stated: “Absolutely ! After qualifying for 2006, we should have never gotten to a place this dark in our football history.

We are a small nation but the reality is we did. Again, with the president (Tim Kee and the Minister (Darryl Smith) and the way they are operating, I’ve had conversations with them and I must say that they’ve been very true to their word and that is a very positive sign. It is also a sign that everyone is pushing in the same direction which is forward.

There are some other steps the Association has taken which hopefully will raise the levels in various aspects.” Latapy also expects to see the settling of other outstanding matters and ongoing efforts to fix different aspects of the game, adding that he believes the current men’s team has similar capabilities to the one that qualified for Germany 2006.

“It has been difficult for football to move on with so many things hanging over its head. With the Ministry getting involved is really good, because with the group of players we have now and with the performance everyone saw on Tuesday night against the US we need to give the coach a good platform to work with and with all these things hanging over, it makes it complicated. But now we’re seeing positive steps being made which is good for the local game.

And other areas will begin to feel the positive effects of this.

“We qualified in 2006 and we had a fantastic bunch of players and we had a fantastic coach, I can see the same thing happening here. There is a fantastic coach and a fantastic bunch of players. We need to pull together as one to give them the platform to achieve everything that they can and this is one of the ways that we can do that,” Latapy added.

The former ace midfielder said he did not want to speak too highly of the players as there are no easy games in World Cup qualification and warned them that it will only get tougher. He added that the team must not think about the final hexagonal stage yet despite a good start to their group which sees them joint top on points with the USA.

RELATED NEWS

Latapy quietly confident about Warriors World Cup chances.
By Jelani Beckles (Guardian).

Former Soca Warriors footballer and head coach Russell Latapy is optimistic about this country’s chances of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, but does not want the team to get complacent and overconfident.

The Soca Warriors have made a positive start to its World Cup qualifying campaign, defeating Guatemala 2-1 on November 13 and holding USA to a 0-0 draw at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port-of-Spain on Tuesday.

Latapy, who was part of the T&T squad who qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany said: “From what I have seen on Tuesday night I am quietly confident that we will do really well. I do not want to speak to highly of the team and we get overconfident and complacent.”

Latapy said he was impressed with the standard of the Soca Warriors against USA.

“I want to say congrats to coach (Stephen) Hart. I thought the team did the country proud. It was a very organised and disciplined performance. We kept the ball extremely well and we made life extremely difficult for the States. As a fan I am just disappointed that we did not come away with the three points.”

Latapy, who was called the “Little Magician” in his playing days, wants the team to stay focused.

“Firstly, I would like to say there is no easy games in football its 11 versus 11. If we start thinking that way we will get complacent.

“But I do believe in this group of players and I do believe in coach Hart. I think they have had fantastic results in the last two games. I am sure they will continue to play well and do well,” he said.

Latapy added that Hart is low key and that is a good strategy which would allow the team to sneak up on people. The former talented midfielder urged the T&T public to support the team and asked corporate T&T to lend its support as well.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #1342 on: November 22, 2015, 07:25:13 PM »
How about Marvin Faustin an Hutson Charles?

Have they been paid?
Haven't they been waiting as long as Latas?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 22, 2015, 07:51:54 PM »
Glad that he is finally getting some of what was owed to him, I'm sure that must have been some stress.

What's the difference with Latapy getting $500K under this government compared to the WC players getting their payment from the previous government?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 22, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
Glad that he is finally getting some of what was owed to him, I'm sure that must have been some stress.

What's the difference with Latapy getting $500K under this government compared to the WC players getting their payment from the previous government?

ah glad someone else asked.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 22, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »

The difference is structural. The Latapy payment is twinned to the TTFA's subvention. On the other hand, the 2006 Warriors payment was a direct government payout. The Latas payment holds the TTFA to deductions from its subvention and thus maintains the TTFA's fiscal responsibility for the debt owed to RL ...with the government merely acting as a facilitating vehicle rather than absolving the TTFA of the debt. In the 2006 Warriors arrangement, reimbursement to the government is speculative.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 22, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »

Have they been paid?

VB

Without getting into the merits, what your questions seemingly ignore is the nature of Latapy's personal advocacy on this matter.

I'm not endorsing comparisons or relative merit with respect to each claim or circumstance, but if you are going to invoke names ... why leave out Pellerud's?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 22, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »

For one thing the government had committed to helping pay the salaries of coaches and staff.  Latapy was a coach whose salary would have been guaranteed under this committment, it's merely making good on the promise to help.  No different from the government stepping in to pay Hart's salary and pay stipend to the players.  With the WC players there was no such arrangement. 

Not only that, the PP government repeatedly rebuffed appeals from the TTFA to help pay the debt to the WC players... in fact Kamla made it clear the payment wasn't in satisfaction of the debt, but essentially a gift to the players.  It wasn't tied to the government's support of football or sport in general, it was naked campaigning.  The WC players didn't get their payment, they got a payment under nebulous circumstances.  The differences are clearly apparent and not that difficult to discern.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 22, 2015, 08:59:33 PM »

Have they been paid?

VB

Why yuh don't chip in to help pay them?  Yuh acting as though the TTFA can't start paying off all creditors one by one, that they must pay everybody all at once.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 22, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »

The difference is structural. The Latapy payment is twinned to the TTFA's subvention. On the other hand, the 2006 Warriors payment was a direct government payout. The Latas payment holds the TTFA to deductions from its subvention and thus maintains the TTFA's fiscal responsibility for the debt owed to RL ...with the government merely acting as a facilitating vehicle rather than absolving the TTFA of the debt. In the 2006 Warriors arrangement, reimbursement to the government is speculative.

ok.

But (asking) was there not original funding from the Gov't during the reign of RL to cover his salary and/or running of the Fed? Take a peek back.

1]; } ?>