48 (28.6%)
Yes
42 (25%)
Give him time
63 (37.5%)
Assistant only
15 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Russell Latapy Thread  (Read 247482 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Latapy Thread
« Reply #1380 on: January 27, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »
WATCH: Coach Russell Latapy maintains a training Programme with the National Men’s U-17 Team twice a week.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zoXawySmBX4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zoXawySmBX4</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 28, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »
WATCH: Coach Russell Latapy maintains a training Programme with the National Men’s U-17 Team twice a week.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zoXawySmBX4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zoXawySmBX4</a>

this here is good........time in development is what dese youth teams and more importantly Latapy needs to grow....ah could agree with this.
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 03, 2017, 09:21:24 PM »
WATCH: Russell Latapy tries to motivate the U-17 players. It starts on the training pitch…

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/i0XCD0UJR6g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/i0XCD0UJR6g</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 13, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »
Latapy interviewed on Steve David's "Field of Dreams"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh89zd8d6P0
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1384 on: February 19, 2017, 05:53:49 AM »
Latapy: “Let your football do the talking”
TTFA Media.

Former National Football Captain Russell Latapy has issued an appeal to players to let their “football do the talking”.

The current national Under 17 and Under 15 Head Coach, directed his statements at current day players on the National Team, professional players and aspiring national players, saying that as athletes their primary focus should be delivering on the field of play.

For a long time I’ve stood by and listened to some of the younger players voice their opinions regarding the game of football. I would like to share my thoughts, especially, at this time when a player, namely, Jan Michael Williams,  in his lack of wisdom and understanding can boldly make statements about the Honourable Minister of Sport and the Sport Ministry.

“Firstly, Acknowledgement comes with Achievement! The type of achievement required to be successful in football is playing at a high level, motivating other players, and building team spirit and comradery for your team and country while working tirelessly to be at the top of the CFU and Concacaf. It is also taking responsibility for your actions and not blaming others.

“Secondly, If you want acknowledgement you do not need to ask for it. Acknowledgement involves playing professionally for an extended period in a league that is considered a top professional league and not just for a few months.

“So kid, my advice to you is: talk less, defend more and I look forward to you being part of a successful National Team.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 19, 2017, 07:09:49 AM »
Latapy: “Let your football do the talking”
TTFA Media.

Former National Football Captain Russell Latapy has issued an appeal to players to let their “football do the talking”.

The current national Under 17 and Under 15 Head Coach, directed his statements at current day players on the National Team, professional players and aspiring national players, saying that as athletes their primary focus should be delivering on the field of play.

For a long time I’ve stood by and listened to some of the younger players voice their opinions regarding the game of football. I would like to share my thoughts, especially, at this time when a player, namely, Jan Michael Williams,  in his lack of wisdom and understanding can boldly make statements about the Honourable Minister of Sport and the Sport Ministry.

“Firstly, Acknowledgement comes with Achievement! The type of achievement required to be successful in football is playing at a high level, motivating other players, and building team spirit and comradery for your team and country while working tirelessly to be at the top of the CFU and Concacaf. It is also taking responsibility for your actions and not blaming others.

“Secondly, If you want acknowledgement you do not need to ask for it. Acknowledgement involves playing professionally for an extended period in a league that is considered a top professional league and not just for a few months.

“So kid, my advice to you is: talk less, defend more and I look forward to you being part of a successful National Team.”

Shame on you, TTFA Media. Shame on you.

Q: What is the proper role of "TTFA Media"?

A: NOT THIS.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:12:01 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:02 AM »
Yo my head does done be spinning on a daily basis with the madness that is taking place here in the US...now this from Latas??

“When we won our second successive Caribbean Club Championship last year, we received no recognition from Minister Smith” said Williams. “It was the highest profile sporting achievement by any team from T&T in 2016, yet we didn't even receive a letter of congratulations” The club did receive a congratulatory letter from both the President of FIFA and CONCACAF, commenting on the outstanding achievement.

“It's very disappointing as a player in our national sport to see the lack of respect for our achievements” added Williams.

Granted he may (??) have spoken out of turn but "lack of wisdom and understanding"??? So did the Hon Minister (like FIFA and CONCACAF) really did congratulate them and JMW just not know?

So three Pro League titles AND two CFU is not any kind of achievement huh?

So JMW talking bout the minister is the, "straw that broke the camel's back" for Latas?

I could go on with dissecting Latas statement but really what's the point...sigh.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 19, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
Yo my head does done be spinning on a daily basis with the madness that is taking place here in the US...now this from Latas??

“When we won our second successive Caribbean Club Championship last year, we received no recognition from Minister Smith” said Williams. “It was the highest profile sporting achievement by any team from T&T in 2016, yet we didn't even receive a letter of congratulations” The club did receive a congratulatory letter from both the President of FIFA and CONCACAF, commenting on the outstanding achievement.

“It's very disappointing as a player in our national sport to see the lack of respect for our achievements” added Williams.

Granted he may (??) have spoken out of turn but "lack of wisdom and understanding"??? So did the Hon Minister (like FIFA and CONCACAF) really did congratulate them and JMW just not know?

So three Pro League titles AND two CFU is not any kind of achievement huh?

So JMW talking bout the minister is the, "straw that broke the camel's back" for Latas?

I could go on with dissecting Latas statement but really what's the point...sigh.

Go to the head of the line.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hibs in 50 objects: No.2 – Latapy’s steel drum
« Reply #1388 on: June 17, 2017, 07:20:15 AM »
Hibs in 50 objects: No.2 – Latapy’s steel drum
Edinburgh Evening News

Every club can boast an impressive array or pennants, silver salvers, pieces of crystal and so on, gifted by an opposing team to either mark a notable game or a significant milestone in their history.

Some, however, can be a little bit quirky such as the steel drum, resting in a leather case emblazoned with the national flag, presented to then manager Alex McLeish on behalf of the club as Hibs marked the new millennium with a winter tour of Trinidad and Tobago.

Trinidad, of course, is not only the home to calypso music but Russell Latapy, the “little magician” who lit up Scottish football having arrived on these shores as a virtual unknown despite playing for Bobby Robson’s Porto in Portugal, helping them to back-to-back championships while becoming the first Trinidadian to play in the Champions League.

McLeish was tipped off as to Latapy’s availability by Tony Rougier, an international team-mate who was with Hibs at the time, and it took him only minutes of a “bounce game” at Brechin to realise what he had.

Latapy quickly became a firm favourite of the fans with his dazzling skills. Quick feet, a turn of pace and an eye for a goal helped him win the First Division player of the year in his first season in Edinburgh.

However, as big a star as he was to become in the Capital, his own team-mates didn’t realise just how huge a figure he was back in the Caribbean until they were whisked away to the VIP lounge when their plane touched down at Trinidad’s Piarco International Airport.

Awaiting them was a full steel band with a specially composed song.

Hibs, thanks to Latapy, a close friend of West Indies cricket legend Brian Lara who would later visit Easter Road, and Manchester United’s Dwight Yorke, were feted wherever they went while the 200-strong green and white army, including author Irvine Welsh, which had made the journey proved a huge hit with the locals.

The supporters based themselves on the more tourist friendly Tobago, a 12-minute flight from Trinidad, staying in a beachside, all-inclusive hotel where, legend has it, a month’s supply of beer disappeared on the first night.

Sadly, one of their number drowned after falling off a jet ski at picturesque Pigeon Point, a tragedy which obviously cast a shadow over the rest of the trip.

Latapy, who played more than 100 times for his country, underlined his place in the bosom of the Hibs support, scoring the sixth goal as he and his team-mates humbled Capital rivals Hearts 6-2 later that year only for the party-loving midfielder to see his Easter Road career end after he went out on the town with Yorke only 48 hours before a later derby, an action which saw him thrown out by McLeish.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 24, 2017, 01:12:11 PM »
What, no Fire Latapy Thread?  ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 24, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
Who they go put? Shabazz?

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 24, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
One thing Latapy has proven at coaching for T&T: He's no winner.

We need to impeach the dictator  ;)

And bring back Tim Kee

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 24, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
Who they go put? Shabazz?
nah,he taking his turn with the women program, ah think is Anton turn again... :-\

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: March 15, 2018, 06:04:33 PM »
WATCH Highlights of Felgueiras vs FC Porto. Goals by Russell Latapy (Porto) and Leonson Lewis ( Felgueiras) to earn a 1-1 draw for their respective teams on Matchday 5 of the Portuguese Primeira Divisão, 1995-96 season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Pn0BSGdQgYk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Pn0BSGdQgYk</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: March 15, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
Leonson, appears pretty fluent in portugesh

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former Hibernian star Russell Latapy turns 50 today
« Reply #1395 on: August 02, 2018, 07:18:15 AM »
Former Hibernian star Russell Latapy turns 50 today
By John Hislop (The Edinburgh Reporter)

Former Hibs’ star Russell Latapy turns 50 today.

One of the most skilful player ever to grace the Scottish game, Russell spent under three years at Easter Road, but left some lasting memories amongst the supporters fortunate enough to have seen him play.

Born in Port of Spain in Trinidad, Russell’s skills earned him the nickname ‘The Little Magician’ and he would go on to win over 100 caps for the Soca Warriors earning legendary status amongst his countrymen.

His sublime first touch coupled with exceptional ball control and the skill to beat a defender on both sides along with an eye for a goal and the ability to see two moves ahead quickly caught the attention of top European sides and he spent six years in Portugal, winning back to back SuperLiga titles with Porto under Bobby Robson.

As a result, he became the first Trinidadian to feature in the UEFA Champions’ League and was also a member of the Boavista squad that won the Portuguese Cup before Alex McLeish brought him to Easter Road following a recommendation from Tony Rougier.

Incredibly, ‘Big Eck’ insisted that Russell take part in a trial match against Brechin City, but realised after only a few minutes that he had found a genius.

Russell quickly won the hearts of the Hibernian fans, winning the Scottish Division One ‘Player of the Year’ award in his first season, during which he helped the club to promotion.

He scored twice and missed a penalty against Hamilton at Firhill in the game that guaranteed a return to the top flight and remarkably, in the 25 games he started that season, Hibernian won 21 and only lost once.

Back in the Premier League, Hibernian finished a credible 6th reaching the Scottish Cup semi-final where they were unlucky to lose to Aberdeen then the following year Russell helped the club to a 3rd place finish and a Scottish Cup final.

His form that season saw him awarded joint 33rd position in the FIFA poll for World Player of the Year following nominations from national coaches putting him on a par with Roy Keane and Dennis Berkamp.

Russell seemed to reserve his best performances for the Edinburgh derbies where he was never on a losing side, scoring three times at Easter Road including a goal which many Hibernian fans believe was the best ever seen at the stadium.

His reasons for leaving have been well documented but whenever he returned to Easter Road, he received a warm welcome from the fans and in 2011 he played in Ian Murray’s testimonial match where he received a deserved standing ovation from the supporters after yet another superb performance.

Russell recently recalled: “I have many fond memories playing for Hibs. I love the city of Edinburgh and we had a wonderful team.

“Derby games are always special in Edinburgh and one of my favourite memories was the 0-3 game at Tynecastle. We totally dominated that game and there could have been a few more goals. In my view it was one of the best performances we had in my time at Hibs along with the 6-2 game at Easter Road.

“That game was really special for the fans and gave them something to cheer and brag about. Scoring six goals against your rivals was also special for the players.

“I had an amazing relationship with the Hibs’ fans. I think they appreciated the stage I was at in my career and what I brought to the team. The fans always supported me which I appreciated.

“It’s difficult to say if this was the best football of my career but it was certainly a period where I enjoyed my football.”

After leaving Hibernian, Russell won a League Cup winners medal with Rangers and had a brief spell with Dundee United before reuniting with former team mate John ‘Yogi’ Hughes at Falkirk.

As he did with Hibernian, Russell helped the Bairns to promotion whilst winning his second ‘Player of the Year’ award then helped the club consolidate in the top flight.

Initially Russell only intended to spend one year at Falkirk however that turned into five and during his tenure he represented Trinidad and Tobago in the 2006 World Cup.

In 2008 he was inducted into Falkirk’s Hall of Fame and the club hosted Russell Latapy day in his honour with a game against Hibernian.

He continued: “Yogi (John Hughes) was definitely an influence in my decision to continue to play football. At that period I was thinking of retiring and he persuaded me to play one more season which turned into five seasons.

“I have a lot of fond memories of my time with Falkirk including winning promotion to the Premier League.

“I also enjoyed the beginning of my coaching career and bringing through youngsters which was extremely rewarding.”

Since hanging up his boots, Russell has enjoyed success as a coach and assistant manager under John Hughes at Inverness and was at the club when they won the 2015 Scottish Cup, ironically against Falkirk.

Speaking of Scottish Cup wins, Russell was delighted to watch events unfold at Hampden on 21st May 2016. He continued: “I watched the Scottish Cup final because it was between two of my former teams. It’s been a hundred odd years since Hibs last won the Cup and I thought it was a long time in coming but it’s great for the history of the club and also for the fans.”

Russell is currently based in Portugal however he is keen to return to the game as a manager and who knows what the future holds for the Little Magician.

Last word goes to Valentino Singh, sports editor of the Trinidad Guardian who said: “There are four sporting heroes that we must mention in our paper every day, Dwight Yorke, Brian Lara, sprinter Ato Bolden and Russell Latapy. Of the two footballers, Yorke may be the best paid and most high profile but to me Latapy is still the best player.”

Mr Singh will find no arguments amongst the Hibernian or Falkirk fans.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #1396 on: August 02, 2018, 08:01:58 AM »
I believe David Nakhid was the TT player to play in the UEFA Champions' League not Latas.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 02, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »
I believe David Nakhid was the TT player to play in the UEFA Champions' League not Latas.

VB

I don't think Nakhid ever played in the Champions League. The first time Grasshoppers qualified for the Champions League was 1995/96 and he was gone already.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 02, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »

VB

I don't think Nakhid ever played in the Champions League. The first time Grasshoppers qualified for the Champions League was 1995/96 and he was gone already.

I thought it was with a Belgian club. But although I believe it, can't find  any evidence on the net to back it up. ;-)

VB

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 02, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »

VB

I thought it was with a Belgian club. But although I believe it, can't find  any evidence on the net to back it up. ;-)

VB

The Belgian club he played for was KSV Waregem, and as far I know, they have never been involved in European competition. Even Nakhid's resume makes no mention of it.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #1400 on: August 02, 2018, 02:12:44 PM »
1995/96 UEFA Champions League Group Stage
Porto vs AAB

Porto vs Panathinaikos

Started both the above games with #10 jersey

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 02, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »

VB

VB

The Belgian club he played for was KSV Waregem, and as far I know, they have never been involved in European competition. Even Nakhid's resume makes no mention of it.

I know.  ;D

The club also makes no mention of it.

VB

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 19, 2018, 11:45:27 AM »
I  believe D Nakhid was the first to play in the UEFA cup.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy: Let me do my job
« Reply #1403 on: August 24, 2018, 06:59:59 AM »
Latapy: Let me do my job
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday)

NATIONAL Under-20 men’s coach Russell Latapy is pleading with the TT Football Association (TTFA) to “just let me do my job.”

Latapy, in an interview with Newsday on Tuesday to discuss the preparation of the team for the CONCACAF Men’s U-20 Championship in November in Florida, shockingly revealed no training has been held since the team was eliminated from the group stage of the Central America and Caribbean (CAC) Games in Colombia on July 24.

With just over two months to go to battle for a spot in the CONCACAF Men’s U-20 Championships semi-finals, and more importantly one of the top four spots to the 2019 FIFA U-20 Men’s World Cup in Poland, the team is at a standstill.

Latapy said he and his technical staff are frustrated and unable to work as non-payment of salaries is beginning to affect morale and their ability to work properly.

“Some of my staff have not been paid for almost a year,” Latapy revealed.

The legendary former attacking midfielder said he has held discussions with the TTFA on the issues affecting the team and they have promised to work on it but still no relief has been forthcoming.

Latapy said the situation has seriously affected their preparation for the Under-20 Championships.

At the CAC Games he said he and his technical staff identified areas of weakness that needed to be addressed but have been able to do so as time continues to be wasted.

Asked what is the mood of the camp, Latapy said he and his staff are all committed to the team but need the required support.

“The only reason I haven’t quit the job yet is because I believe in these boys,” Latapy said. The 50 year old said he accepts that wins and losses will enhance or tarnish his resume, but said it is unfair that other factors might affect his team’s performance on the field.

He revealed he is not currently on speaking terms with TTFA president David John-Williams but said it is still possible to have a good working relationship. “My brother (Justin Latapy-George) is the secretary of the FA, I get along well with certain members but I haven’t spoken to David John-Williams in a long time,” Latapy said.

The youth coach said, however, a professional relationship is more important than a personal one and he sees no reason why their lack of communication should affect the team as both parties should be interested in the good of the game.

Salaries not being paid on time is nothing new to the TTFA as several past coaches – including Latapy – have had to sue the local football association to get their just due.

The list of coaches and administrators who’ve sought legal action in the past includes Stephen Hart (ex-TT coach), Wim Rijsbergen (ex-TT coach), Anton Corneal, Kendall Walkes and Sheldon Phillips (administrators).

If Latapy walks away, he will be the second national coach to quit in recent times.

Earlier this month, women’s coach Jamaal Shabazz walked away from the job less than three weeks before the final round of the Caribbean Women World Cup qualifiers which begins on Saturday.

Just recently, another national youth team’s training and preparation went to naught as the TTFA failed to get US visas on time for the CONCACAF Under 15 Girls Championship in Florida.

The TTFA president refused to take the blame for his organisation’s tardiness in attempting to secure the visas and hinted that it was possibly time CONCACAF identifies different venues other than the US to host these tournaments.

US Embassy Chargé d’Affaires John McIntyre rebuked John-Williams publicly for that remark, saying the situation arose because of “poor planning” and the TTFA “dropping the ball” in conducting their duties.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 18, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »
“It is poor managerial practise (sic) to engage in any matters that may arise internally to engage in those matters publicly.

--- Justin Latapy-George

:P

:devil:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1405 on: March 19, 2019, 12:32:02 AM »
Latas gets Bajan coaching job.
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T's for­mer mag­i­cal mid­field­er and youth coach Rus­sell Lat­apy is set to take over the head coach­ing job of the Bar­ba­di­an Na­tion­al team.

A re­port from the Bar­ba­dos me­dia re­vealed this ap­point­ment yes­ter­day and it was con­firmed by a mem­ber of the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion. Lat­apy was coach of the coun­try's Un­der-20, 17 and u-15 teams up to re­cent­ly, but his un­suc­cess­ful stint with the u-20s at the CON­CA­CAF Qual­i­fiers at the IMG Acad­e­my in Braden­ton, Flori­da last year opened the door for him to seek a job else­where, as he al­so en­coun­tered trou­bles to re­ceive wages.

Lat­apy's Un­der-15 Boys team was al­so un­suc­cess­ful. How­ev­er, non-pay­ment of wages, cou­pled with lack of sup­port forced him to down tools and with­hold his ser­vices as coach.

In spite of the fail­ure of the coun­try's u-15 team, Lat­apy was ex­pect­ed to be in charge of the Elite De­vel­op­ment Pro­gramme which is ex­pect­ed to make up the com­ing U-15 teams. This po­si­tion has now been giv­en to Stu­art-Charles Fevri­er, the W Con­nec­tion coach.

On the u-17 team, Lat­apy was re­placed by for­mer na­tion­al strik­er Stern John, who re­cent­ly re­cruit­ed Ken­wyne Jones, an­oth­er ex-T&T goalscor­er, as his as­sis­tant.

Lat­apy will be un­veiled to the pub­lic as the Ba­jan coach to­mor­row at an of­fi­cial cer­e­mo­ny, the Ba­jan me­dia re­port­ed.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:02 PM »
Good Going, Latas!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 21, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
Russell Latapy announced as Head Coach of Barbados' Men’s National Senior Team
By Morissa Lindsay (Barbados Today)

Barbados’ senior national men’s team has hired retired Trinidad and Tobago midfield magician Russell Latapy as its new head coach, revealed Barbados Football Association president Randolph Harris during today’s press conference at the Wildey St. Michael AstroTurf.

The initial two-year coaching contract of 50-year-old Latapy means that BFA’s technical director Ahmed Mohammed has been relieved of that position and will now be responsible for developing national youth programmes and policies called the Future Trident Development Programme.

When Barbados Today enquired about the cost associated with acquiring Latapy’s services having coached ten years in Scotland and most recently as an assistant coach with the Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warriors, Harris bluntly stated “it is none of your business.”

I would like to say that the cost of having this quality coach is none of your business. I just would not tell you what it cost. Basically, we have a coach here fully qualified up to pro licence, and he has worked with us, for us to be able to afford to have him here in this capacity,” Harris responded.

It was revealed that the BFA and Latapy were in negotiation from two-years ago. Now the contractual agreements have been finalised, Harris expressed confidence that the Trinidadian football wizard can steer Barbados competitively towards its vision of competing at the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

“Mr Latapy and I have been talking for the past two years about the possibility of him working in Barbados. It is not just a situation of Russell looking for a job; he has been very interested in our team and its development. He is happy with the talent that we have in Barbados, and he believes that he can take it to the next level. I think that he has convinced me early a clock that he would play a significant role in the successes of Barbados’ team now and in the future,” Harris said.

The BFA president took time to thank the technical director Mohammed for the job he has done working with the senior men’s team as a coach, saying: “He has been here doing some great work for us with our youth development programme now called the Future Trident Development Programme. I would really like to thank him for the year and a half that he has worked with the team. We can see some difference in the team, and hopefully, Mr Latapy can be able to take it further, and everybody in Barbados would be happy with the kind of standard that we exhibit.”

Latapy’s first official outing as coach will be this Sunday, March 24 when Barbados host Nicaragua in the ongoing Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football Nations League tournament.

During his remarks, Latapy whose career spans over two decades with 81 caps for the twin-island republic said the Bajan Tridents were a bunch of talented players and he would ensure they continued to work hard.

Additionally, in his capacity as Barbados’ new head coach, Latapy said under his tenure any player with the ability to perform was welcome as the goals would be to improve the standard of football and help win matches.

“I have spoken to the technical director watching the game they played a few weeks ago, and I am happy to say that we have a bunch of players who are talented and not only talented, but they are prepared to work very hard. And I think for any coach if you have a team that is willing to work hard then that is half of the battle done.

“I would do my best to improve the level of the team and whatever I can do to assist in the improvement of Barbados’ football, and that would improve football in the region in general. That is one of our main goals to help improve football in this region which gives the young players the opportunity not only to play professionally but to improve their standard of life. Because this is what football has done for me and I would like to pass on some of this experience and give some of the younger players the opportunity to do the same,” Latapy said.

Present during the media conference was BFA’s executive broad member’s first vice-president Captain Al Walcott, chairman of the technical committee Adrian Donovan and technical director of the national team Ahmed Mohammed who all welcomed Latapy. 

In keeping with the BFA’s motto ‘Better Football For A Better Life’, Walcott said during his brief remarks that: “I believe that it will be a good change for us, a Caribbean man coming to us with skills and qualifications to help enhance and improve the standard of football in Barbados and the region.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: April 25, 2019, 02:39:51 PM »
WATCH: Shaka Hislop reacts to Russell Latapy coaching Barbados

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zzxZViKgZ4g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zzxZViKgZ4g</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 08, 2019, 08:32:35 AM »
Latapy Trident Proud
Barbados Football Association

Head Coach of the Barbados Football Association’s National Senior Men’s Russell “The Little Magician” Latapy said it wasn’t his magic, but rather the players “trusting the process” that saw them through to victory on Thursday night.

The Bajan Tridents walked over (French) St Martin 4-0 in their first game at the BFA’s Wildey Turf in the Concacaf Nations League Group Phase. Barbados, drawn in League C of Group A, is on a quest to earn promotion into League B and earn a spot in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup.

Following the team’s stellar performance, Latapy, who has more than two decades of coaching experience, said the Tridents achieved their main goal which was to win the game at home.

“I’m always happy with winning football games, that’s why we are here. I thought the boys worked really hard especially in the second part of the game. We started back brightly and we controlled that part of the game. I want us to be more prolific and efficient.

While he admitted the team was not yet the “finished product” and that they needed to get a little better, Latapy said they showed positive signs, especially in the backline.

“I’m happy that we played at home in front of our fans and were able to score four goals and get a clean sheet; that’s the aspect of the game I’m happy with. There is still a lot of work to be done. There are a lot of things to correct, but in general the objective was to get three points and we were able to get it,” he said jubilantly.

Latapy who gained 81 caps for the Trinidad and Tobago Soca Warriors also noted the team’s defensive structure was solid most of the time.

“It is football and without mistakes, there are no goals. There were one or two lapses in concentration, but we didn’t suffer a goal. We kept a clean, sheet but I was happy with the defence structure because it allowed us to dominate the game. I prefer to play with the ball than chasing it, and that is one aspect of the game I was very pleased about.”

Meanwhile, international striker Nick Blackman, who scored a brace in his debut with the home side, said he was thrilled to be a part of the Tridents and felt right at home.

“The response took me a little bit by surprise. Obviously having my mum and dad flying over from England to watch, and my family who lives over here coming to support me meant a lot. I think it is important going forward that we keep putting these performances in and we can build momentum and give the fans a team they can be proud of and can be a force to reckon with,” Blackman said.

“There is so much talent in the team going forward. We have really good players. As the weeks and months go on and we train together, I think we are going to only get better. I think there were some positive signs, but we have a lot to work on as the coach stated,” he said.

Trident Magic
Barbados Football Association

It was just like magic!

Head coach of the Barbados Football Association’s (BFA) National Senior team worked his charm and capped off a 4-0 finish against (French) Saint Martin tonight.

Russell “The Little Magician” Latapy kept the crowd at the BFA’s Wildey Turf mesmerized and glued to their seats, in a thrilling opening encounter in the team’s first outing of the Concacaf Nations League group phase games and his first at home game.

Playing in League C of Group A, the senior Bajan Tridents got the ball rolling and are on a solid trajectory for promotion into League B and a chance to book a spot in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup.

As early as the fourth minute, a new look Bajan Tridents, led by Captain Rashad Jules, got their names on the scorecard when Omani Leacock drove home the ball, off a right side free kick by Hadan Holligan,  past Saint Martin goalkeeper Ulrick Luperon.

Ten minutes later Jules, showing his fancy footwork using his right foot expertly crossed to English League 2 Club Carlisle United’s Hallam Hope, but the latter was off target and the ball went high and wide.

Not a full minute later, Tel Aviv Maccabi striker Nick Blackman scored his debut goal on Bajan soil. Leacock played a through ball to the ever-vigilant Blackman, who wasted no time pressing the ball into the left corner, past Saint Martin’s custodian.

As word spread of Latapy’s magic, the stands filled almost to capacity, reminiscent of the golden days in the late 1980s, when fans and supporters would descend on any playing field to watch the Tridents at play.

Eighteen-year-old Nicolai Brathwaite, easily the most valuable player of the night gave a solid performance throughout the 90 minutes. His body language and constant communication with his teammates showed he soaked up Latapy’s advice and was instrumental in demolishing Saint Martin’s backline and any hope they had at scoring, ending the first half on a high.

The North American side returned re-energized as the second half got underway. But the newfound energy did little to increase their chances at goal. Blackman once again stepped up to the plate and coolly sent the ball into the back of the net, past an unsuspecting Luperon, after center back Akeem Hill, who was ahead of the pack, passed the ball to the striker who wasted no time in making it three for the home team.

There was no chance of Saint Martin redeeming themselves when Blackman was substituted for the “Gale force winds”. The stadium erupted in a frenzy, thanking Blackman for his superb showing, but also waiting for what they knew only too well would follow whenever teenaged sensation, Thierry Gale entered a football field.

Not even five minutes later, Gale was fouled just outside the penalty area. That was the only invitation the 18-year-old needed. A hush fell over the Turf as a much fitter and stronger looking Gale stepped up to the ball, curling it around the wall of players, straight into the back of the net as the crowd exploded in immense celebrations.

Jules, passing the captaincy to Holligan, was substituted for forward Armando “Sugar” Lashley, while T’Shane Lorde took Hope’s position. The latter, while having at least four shots on target failed to convert even with three minutes of extra time being added to the clock.

That notwithstanding, at the end of play the Bajan Tridents had found favor once again in the hearts of the fans, and they raced to the sidelines to greet their supporters, as whispers of Latapy’s “magic” reverberated through the stadium.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:42:47 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>