March 29, 2024, 04:47:45 AM

Author Topic: "Keane put his neck on line" - says weight-training Carlos Edwards  (Read 1459 times)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Keane put his neck on line - Edwards
Sunderland Echo

The winger earned his first shot at the big time at the age of 28 when he helped Sunderland to promotion last season, only to be robbed of almost three months' action due to injury.

He had only one reserve outing before being thrown straight into the cauldron of the Wear-Tyne derby the weekend before last, and has thanked boss Roy Keane for taking that leap of faith.

Edwards said: "The gaffer called me to see him the night before the Newcastle game and while I was on my way to the meeting I was thinking what he wanted to ask.

"I figured the question was, 'are you ready?', and I knew my answer would be positive.

"The gaffer stuck with me through the 90 minutes and I know I have got a big boost in confidence from that. For him to call on me for such a crucial game like Newcastle speaks volumes for the fact he has confidence in me and putting his neck on the line, if you like, by playing me.

"That does wonders for a player's confidence and it is great for me because this is my first try in the Premier League in my career and I am really looking forward to testing myself."

Edwards had struggled with injury during pre-season and was finally forced into a prolonged spell on the sidelines when his hamstring was injured at the end of a bamboozling run against Birmingham in only the second match of the season.

Despite returning and looking so strong in the 1-1 draw with the Magpies, the former Luton flier is still looking to get his body in tune for the rigours of top flight football.

"I'm still working on my hamstring," he said. "I'm totally confident in it, otherwise I wouldn't be out there playing. But the manager and physios still look to give me a special day to get some extra work on the weights and build the strength in the hamstring more."

Sunderland head to Everton on Saturday needing to build a run of form to ease fears they could be drawn into a survival dogfight.

They're only two points better off than third from bottom Bolton and Edwards added: "We do need results and we have to be more lethal as an attacking side.

"We have to make half-chances into chances.

"We have been a little bit unlucky at times – look at Newcastle's goal; was it a cross or a shot? – but we need to give 110 per cent because 100 per cent might not be enough."
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "Keane put his neck on line" - says weight-training Carlos Edwards
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 07:23:57 PM »
Good luck, Carlos!  We with you all the way!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 10:43:25 PM »
Go with God Carlos
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »

GOD BLESS YOU CARLOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1]; } ?>