March 28, 2024, 02:15:33 PM

Author Topic: Rene returns  (Read 2856 times)

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
Rene returns
« on: November 23, 2007, 07:19:23 AM »
Rene returns

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sports Editor williamss@jamaicaobserver.com
Friday, November 23, 2007

FROM all indications, Brazilian coach Professor Rene Simoes will return to lead Jamaica's charge to the World Cup Finals in South Africa in 2010.

SIMOES... guided Jamaica to 1998 World Cup Finals
Even before Captain Horace Burrell retook the reins of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) just over two weeks ago, he had indicated that Simoes was his target man to succeed the sacked Serb-born Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic.

A report which appeared on the Brazilian sports website Lancenet.com.br yesterday, quoted the charismatic Brazilian confirming his return.

"Jamaica is not from the Arab world where one could make a lot of money. However, I love the people and that is why I will return," the report quoted Simoes as saying.

Burrell and JFF general secretary Horace Reid were en route to South Africa for the preliminary draw for the World Cup qualifying series yesterday and could not be reached for comment.
When contacted last evening, first vice-president Dale Spencer declined to comment, and referred this reporter to Burrell.

But since the news of Simoes' possible return started to circulate locally, the JFF has never denied that they were going after their man - the mustachioed Brazilian who led Jamaica to a historic qualification to the 1998 World Cup Finals in France.
With negotiations well advanced, it seemed only a matter of time before Simoes would be back with his old team of Burrell and Reid.

The delay in formally announcing Simoes as the new TD was seemingly due to the fact that he had a contractual arrangement with Serie B Brazilian outfit Coritiba, who earned promotion to Serie A and will play their final game of the season against Santa Cruz tomorrow.
A victory would seal the second division title for them.
The website report stated that "technical director Rene Simoes will return to Jamaica in 2008".

That report also stated that he had received other offers, but opted for Jamaica because of "the good relationship that exists between himself and that country".

With Jamaica's football ranked at an undesirable 103 (the lowest ever), the inactivity of the senior team and general feeling of disenchantment of the football constituency brought on by the Crenston Boxhill administration, the return of Burrell at the helm of the JFF has sparked a revival in the nation's football.

And certainly, the acquisition of the affable Simoes will add spark to the flagging 'Back to Africa' campaign, which has been reignited with two friendly internationals in four days this week where 'strong' Boyz teams defeated El Salvador 3-0 on Sunday and Guatemala 2-0 on Wednesday before massive crowds inside 'The Office'.

Former Reggae Boy and World Cup veteran Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore acted in an interim capacity for both games and is the man who is largely expected to be Simoes' assistant when that time comes.

The 54-year-old Brazilian, who captured the imagination of the Jamaican people with his 'down-to-earth' demeanour and 'Jesus Saves' T-shirts, has coached extensively before and after boarding the 'Road to France' train. Immediately before joining Jamaica he was in charge of Brazil's Under-20 men's team and Al Rayyan FC of Qatar.

Other teams managed:

1994-2000 - Jamaica
2001-2002 - Trinidad
2003 - Honduras
2004 - Brazil Women's
(Olympics silver medal)
2004-2005 - Vitoria FC
(Cup of Portugal)
2006 - Iran Under-23
(Asian Games bronze)
2007 - Coritiba

Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Rene returns
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:39:23 AM »
Back to Africa...nice slogan, man. Sure to motivate the Boyz and capture the public's imagination.

''Africa, unite cause were moving right out of babylon,
And were going to our fathers land" - Robert Nesta
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »
good news.....more reason to make dem cry......DE ORIGNAL SEND MORE BRITZ MAN

SEND MORE BRITZ    SEND MORE BRITZ     (said in a mustachioed Brazilian accent)
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
....and I remember when Gally's boys were mannersin dem Jakans wid Rene in charge.... now gally is just down the ladder ...all kinda Mc Comic is national team coach an ting !
well is back to camps and de boys again ...bout de only ting Camps does do is show up for elections. We go fid weself behind de eight ball again ... if we eh dey already

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »
....and I remember when Gally's boys were mannersin dem Jakans wid Rene in charge.... now gally is just down the ladder ...all kinda Mc Comic is national team coach an ting !
well is back to camps and de boys again ...bout de only ting Camps does do is show up for elections. We go fid weself behind de eight ball again ... if we eh dey already

When did Trinidad defeat Jamaica after Rene took charge? maybe that was before Simoes took the reigns.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:56:57 PM »

lets not start again RF
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Simoes set for comeback
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 08:09:49 AM »
Simoes set for comeback
published: Friday | November 30, 2007

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

Simoes
Brazilian Rene Simoes, the man responsible for steering Jamaica to a historic berth in the 1998 World Cup, looks to have packed his bags for an anticipated return to the island, where it is assumed he will take charge of the Reggae Boyz as they bid for an appearance in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
"I am going to a place that needs me, where I was always valued, respected and learned to admire them as a race, as a people and as a country," Simoes, 54, said in a goodbye letter to fans of Brazilian local league Serie B club Curitiba, posted online by Curitiba publication Gazetta Do Pova yesterday.
LOYALTY FROM JFF
"Complicity, loyalty has always been what I had from the President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and its secretary-general," Simoes, the heavily moustached coach, best remembered for his animated forays up and down the sidelines clad in a 'Jesus Saves' T-shirt, continued.
"(It) is this that I always search for in my work, people who recognise the value of the work and in the future, who can be strong in losses and say we are going forward. Visionaries," he said.
Simoes, dubbed 'the little magician' by local fans of the , recently led Curitiba to the Serie B title and promotion to the Brazilian.
Not immediately available
Since being reappointed unopposed as JFF president earlier this month, there has been speculation that Captain Horace Burrell, who brought Simoes on board for the first time in October 1994, would once again look in that direction for guidance. Days after being in office, the new administration terminated the contract of Serbian Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, who had signed a four-year contract with the then Crenston Boxhill-led administration in November of last year. The Brazilian, who has also had stints with Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors, Honduras, the Brazil women's teams and the Iran Under-23 team, was, however, not immediately available, having still been bound by contractual ties to his Brazilian club.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Simoes set for comeback
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 08:17:49 AM »
"SENDSAO MOREIS BRITZESAO"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Simoes set for comeback
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 08:33:18 AM »
I didnt know ya was trilingual
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 08:50:50 AM »
ja will do well this qualification, if they bring their british players, they have a very strong team... its a competition ting between both nations, there will always be, it would be nice 2 see both nations in the WC, it will strengthen our region and our football... i want us to face the toughest competition this qualifying, "its not an easy road".... tt will prevail.... and i also hope ja prevail, i fed up seeing costa rica there time and time again...

God is de BOSS....

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »
Congratulations to Jamaica for getting back Simo.
He connects well with yardies jess like Beenie was one with us.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 09:33:13 AM »
Prepare for fluffy letters and his hidden messages in the news papers for players and fans.
Rene is the master of the silver tongue.

Good Luck
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 09:37:52 AM »

I didnt know ya was trilingual

yuh didnt know Big mad was cunning linguist ?
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 10:30:32 AM »
ja will do well this qualification, if they bring their british players, they have a very strong team... its a competition ting between both nations, there will always be, it would be nice 2 see both nations in the WC, it will strengthen our region and our football... i want us to face the toughest competition this qualifying, "its not an easy road".... tt will prevail.... and i also hope ja prevail, i fed up seeing costa rica there time and time again...

God is de BOSS....
You mean the British players who are Jamaican-born and now play in the British Footbal League (BPL). And don't forget the foreign/Jamaican-born players in Sweden, Belgium, Russia, Brazil etc.  ;D
Oh yeah! And in T&T also.  ;) 
jjbrown

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »
this world cup qualifying go be rel intersting yes ah hope i have the heart for it  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 11:55:19 AM »
SENDSAO MOREIS BRITZESAO"

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
Nice!  :rotfl:
I wonder if boxhill in hiding...dey make dey man a real scapegoat for all the tata dey put down recently.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 02:11:48 PM »
Nice!  :rotfl:
I wonder if boxhill in hiding...dey make dey man a real scapegoat for all the tata dey put down recently.

Well, Boxhill was plain incompetent, no question about it. the man claimed that it doesnt make sense for Jaiamac to play friendly games in the office, because it costs too much to put on these games. Within 2 days of taking Office, Horace Burrell had us playing two back to back games at the "unprofitable" venue...and guess what, we made a profit for both game. Boxhill hirde a coach, pay him US$1M, and have the man sitting around on the beach doing absolutely nothing. What did burrell do? find a way to legally fire hima nd save the JFF $3M.

Jamaica's football was set back about 5 years when Boxhill took the reigns of the JFF. Its a race now for Burrell and his crew to get things back on track...they have done a good job so far.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 02:16:03 PM by Reggaefan »

1]; } ?>