April 29, 2024, 10:17:48 PM

Author Topic: Carlos Edwards has been SOOOOOOOOO disappointing  (Read 9069 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Carlos Edwards has been SOOOOOOOOO disappointing
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:04:04 AM »
I really thought he would have cut it at this level.  I really did.  And not just cut it, but excell.

De man cyah beat de most rudimentary of left backs.  90% of de time he get de ball, he lookin to get de ball inside de box.  While his delivery has improved, his ability to go past his man is non existent.  McEvely?  As clumsy a left back as it have in de EPL and he own Carlos whole match?

One word.  SHOCKING.  To me at least.  I know he has been injured but this is his 3rd match back against the weakest opposition he is likely to face all season and he looked pedestrian.

As a BIG Carlos Edwards fan, I'm almost crushed.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos Edwards has been SOOOOOOOOO disappointing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:11:54 AM »
I am really very disappointed that he has been hurt so much after starting off his career with Sunderland in such a great manner. There was the potential of a great outcome but injuries have been the bain of his existence at Sunderland.
Very very unfortunate.
Lets ALL pray to God that this is a real temporary situation.....Amen.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:22:19 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
Some bounce back from injury without missing a beat and some don't

Did Keane hint that he wasn't at 100% on his return?

I still think that if he has a long run of consistent health & fitness, he would do well.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:20:59 AM »
 Take you time PALOS all of us is CARLOS'S FAN. NOT ONLY DID HE GET INJURED BUT REMEMBER THAT EMBARASSING DEFEAT THEY SUFFERED. I DONT CARE WHO YOU ARE IT WILL AFFECT YOU IN SOME WAY. WE KNOW HE CAN PLAY JUST CUT HIM A LIL LOOSE. YOU TOO HURRY. 3 GAMES COME ON YOU COULD DO BETTER THAN THAT!!!!. HE NEED TO REGAIN FULL FITNESS AND CONFIDENCE AND TRUST MEH THAT DONT COME IN 3 GAMES. SO EASE OFF AND GIVE THE BROTHER A REST.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:29:51 AM »
I really thought he would have cut it at this level.  I really did.  And not just cut it, but excell.

De man cyah beat de most rudimentary of left backs.  90% of de time he get de ball, he lookin to get de ball inside de box.  While his delivery has improved, his ability to go past his man is non existent.  McEvely?  As clumsy a left back as it have in de EPL and he own Carlos whole match?

One word.  SHOCKING.  To me at least.  I know he has been injured but this is his 3rd match back against the weakest opposition he is likely to face all season and he looked pedestrian.

aaahhh palos... ever the optimist..

don't you think its a bit early to issue this sweeping write-off of a judgement?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
Early eh?

Ok.  How long is enough allyuh tink?

10 games?

De ress a de season?

Carlos came to this EPL season with tremendous expectations....not just from fans like mehself....but FOOTBALL people.

Many were excited to see if he could translate his form to this level.

Given his performances thus far, even acknowledging THE FACT that he is coming off a lengthy injury, he has not suggested anything like what he demonstrated at other levels.

As a Trinbagonian, I will always believe in meh heart dat he have what it takes and more.

But sentiment doh cut it at dis level.  Only performance.  And when people at dat level eye on yuh and yuh doh produce...not even a glimmer....dem eye does tun to de nex up and comer quick quick.

In footballin terms, Carlos eh no spring chicken.  He have a very small window of opportunity.  I still backin he to come good and show everybody the player that we all know he is.  But he better get he act togeddah...and mighty quick too.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 11:52:04 AM »
Alyuh men sad yes...no real match fitness, im pretty sure not 100% and u write de man off...well boy.  :'(

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:54:34 AM »
Palos, ah feel yuh lil off on this one.

How was he performing before he got injured?

Do u know he was MoM against Birmingham? (the game he was injured in?)
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »

Arrite bro.  Ah go check back by season end.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:03:36 PM »
Early eh?

Ok.  How long is enough allyuh tink?

10 games?

De ress a de season?

Carlos came to this EPL season with tremendous expectations....not just from fans like mehself....but FOOTBALL people.

Many were excited to see if he could translate his form to this level.

Given his performances thus far, even acknowledging THE FACT that he is coming off a lengthy injury, he has not suggested anything like what he demonstrated at other levels.

As a Trinbagonian, I will always believe in meh heart dat he have what it takes and more.

But sentiment doh cut it at dis level.  Only performance.  And when people at dat level eye on yuh and yuh doh produce...not even a glimmer....dem eye does tun to de nex up and comer quick quick.

In footballin terms, Carlos eh no spring chicken.  He have a very small window of opportunity.  I still backin he to come good and show everybody the player that we all know he is.  But he better get he act togeddah...and mighty quick too.

palos, under all seriousness... yuh moving like ah real drama queen today..

The friggin EPL is up and running at full pace, and this come like Carlos first games of the new season.. He lagging behind in de class and have plenty to do to catch up.. He now coming off injury worries and obviously would still be very tentative on a hamstring injury that he has reinjured multiple times..

Have you ever played on a recurring injury wondering whether or not you fully recovered or if de ting will go again on yuh? Do you know psychologically and physically what kind of impact that does have on yuh game?

So you ready to altogether dismiss the man as a failure after 3 games back?? One breakneck derby match against Newcastle where he put in a creditable performance, one anomaly against Everton where the whole team was poor and one relegation scrap match against Derby??

Waaay sah, judge dredd have nutten on you?!  yuh couldnt even give de man a good 5 games self to fart on de man head eh..

what happen yuh eh get no fantasy league points or something?

STEUPS

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 12:08:18 PM »
It look like he reinjured as well, ah hope nothing too serious.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 12:09:43 PM »
i feel he was rushed to go back and play again.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 12:19:01 PM »

I glad someone brought this up....let the man beathe for few nah... i figure that he hasn't arrived at full sharpness yet...palos i could understand your angst but yuh really starting to push the panic button a little too early..and as u said AT LEAST his delivery is improving..

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »
It look like he reinjured as well, ah hope nothing too serious.

say it isn't so
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 12:35:25 PM »
Carlos seem to be still tentative about extending himself. I feel his confidence in his hamstring is not 100%

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 12:42:15 PM »
Probably if it was any other player most people would have probably agreed with Palos. But we talking about a native son. What I got out of the thread was the fact that Carlos struggled and continues to struggle against one of the poorest defenders in the league. Not Evra, Cole or Rise, all of whom we may have been more understanding. Wide players depend on service but upon receiving the ball they should be in a position to penetrate or deliver consistent crosses. Lets give Carlos the benefit of the doubt. but in all honesty he has not looked the part to date.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
Probably if it was any other player most people would have probably agreed with Palos. But we talking about a native son. What I got out of the thread was the fact that Carlos struggled and continues to struggle against one of the poorest defenders in the league. Not Evra, Cole or Rise, all of whom we may have been more understanding. Wide players depend on service but upon receiving the ball they should be in a position to penetrate or deliver consistent crosses. Lets give Carlos the benefit of the doubt. but in all honesty he has not looked the part to date.

Is only because Carlos Edwards is a Trini, people cuttin he slack.  Ronaldo come back from more serious and lengthier injury and man say he fat and  shithong after 1 game.  But I understand dat and fully expeck de drama queen lyrics etc.  No surprise dey whatsoever. 

Woe be unto anybody who have anyting remotely negative to say bout a favorite native son even when is jes observation.  So it go here.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 12:54:06 PM »
GOOD 3 POINTS CARLOS
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »

Is only because Carlos Edwards is a Trini, people cuttin he slack.  Ronaldo come back from more serious and lengthier injury and man say he fat and  shithong after 1 game.  But I understand dat and fully expeck de drama queen lyrics etc.  No surprise dey whatsoever. 

Woe be unto anybody who have anyting remotely negative to say bout a favorite native son even when is jes observation.  So it go here.

Palos, you just went from bad to worse. You just say Ronaldo and Carlos in the same sentence ?

Let me say like somebody once told me.

"You are one of the men that does regularly post sense on the forum. This just goes to show that everybody can have an off day"
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »

In all truth and honesty, even if it was a big name, it would be real hard for me to come up with a thread about him as hyper-dramatic as this after 3 games...

As an example, I'm curious as to what you'd have to say of Ryan Babel.. He came with a much bigger weight of expectations and is yet to set the league on fire, yet i would find it extremely hard to say he has been soooooo disappointing.. there is something known as the 'bedding in' phase which is a grace period granted to players to acclimatize to the new league..

I'd also like to know if Dean Ashton would be also labelled likewise if he fails to score and do well in his next 2 games.. cause he too is coming off a long injury layoff and finding back his feet...

Carlos is dealing with a combo of those 2 examples.. Coming off injury, and acclimatizing to the league..

Trini or not cut the brother some slack.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »

Is only because Carlos Edwards is a Trini, people cuttin he slack. 

aint no secret in that

Ronaldo come back from more serious and lengthier injury and man say he fat and  shithong after 1 game. 

Not true - not after one game....really curious to see where Ronaldo was labeled a "shithong" after his first game back from injury...dat soundin' like ole talk..... plus everyone hailed Ronaldo's comeback as one of the best ever...

But I understand dat and fully expeck de drama queen lyrics etc.  No surprise dey whatsoever. 

Reasonable observation- no one denying that, but like yuh say we cutting him some slack- admittedly biased, plus in all honesty to write off a player as not ready for EPL, 3 games after coming back from a fairly serious injury is a bit dramatic- you self....

Expectations of Carlos in the EPL were grounded in 50% meritocracy and 50% hype.....wish him the best

If everyone responded to your thread with whole hearted agreement, the message board would have no purpose.....ent?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
Do you all think for a man in Carlos situation starting/playing him in EPL games is the best thing for him?i think at this level is either you ready or you not,you don't go out their to experiment and then have a set of excuses afterwards,the reserve league is for that.This is a very sensitive issue because we are all Trinis but people on here talk about everybody except Trinis on Sunderland team when they lose and that's not fair,that team is playing with too many players recouperating from injuries so you find they are all tentative to go all out,i sympathise with Carlos because he is one of the franchise players on the team,so much is expected of him and so far can't deliver,he is under a lot of pressure but that's the life at that level,when people put out their money all they want is performance and don't want to hear nothing else.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:44:05 PM by Coop's »

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »
he get a bonus point in fantasy today  ;)

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »
 I think he said that he needs at least three full games before he can begin to perform at his best.  I am not worried.  Carlos is a true professional and we know what he is capable of, so have some faith.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 02:46:33 PM »

You being very precipitous , if you ask me.  De man miss de whole season but for a few games.  This is almost midseason, men in high gear, while Carlos is just getting out of the blocks.  He broke down twice this season, not once, and with two HAMSTRING injuries.  Those could take all season to really heal on the inside.  This ain't the Championship, it's the EPL.  Remember, Carlos is still adjusting to the level, because he's pnly played a few games.  He's basically starting all over again at this level.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
I come in here fully expecting man tuh cuss yuh out Palos...and some ent disappoint, lol.  To me Sunderland on the whole (excepting KJ) has disappointed this season.  But I disagree with you on Carlos, his performance hasn't been as expected, but I think the injuries are a sufficient explanation for that drop-off in performance.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 03:57:02 PM »
You being very precipitous , if you ask me.  De man miss de whole season but for a few games.  This is almost midseason, men in high gear, while Carlos is just getting out of the blocks.  He broke down twice this season, not once, and with two HAMSTRING injuries.  Those could take all season to really heal on the inside.  This ain't the Championship, it's the EPL.  Remember, Carlos is still adjusting to the level, because he's pnly played a few games.  He's basically starting all over again at this level.

Uhm...I think you mean "premature" (?)

Offline Oz

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
I'm somewhat surprised at Palos post.  Not the norm for him, but understand his expectation and frustration.  Just wondering Palos if you ever had a hamstring injury....and then had it re-injured when you thought you had healed properly.  A simple yes or no would answer a lot of questions.

If I were Keane (or any coach) I would not start any player coming off bacb to back hamstring injuries.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 04:53:01 PM »
If Palos disappointed leave him alone.  He entitled to his own feelings but he has not been wrong very often over the years and we talking real years here eh.  The truth of de matter is dat Carlos in a very tenuous position.  Is not like Sunderland doing real good in de standings yuh know.  Dey have no slack.  I feel dey go be fighting for survival come season end.  I eh go be surprised if Keane heself throw on a tugs yuh know.  The Rolls Royce was supposed to be one of their pillars but de foundation real shaky right now.  Dem teams and dem does move real dread yuh know.  Dey want to know what have you done for me lately...injury or not.  Shaka and Stern could attest to dat.  If Carlos doh pick it up, he go be heading to bench and den following Stern south division wise.  There is no lingering sentiment.  Second chances doh come applenty at dis level.  I agree with Palos...de window starting to close.  Pull up yuh socks Carlos.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »
He's coming back from injury.

He's playing in a weak/struggling team that doesn't play attractive football.

He's a rookie in the EPL.

He's a very good player by T&T standards, but arguably not really above average at the highest level by int'l standards.....

Who so ever expected him to light it up in the EPL probably needed to temper his/her expectations...

1]; } ?>