April 19, 2024, 04:14:36 PM

Author Topic: Shaka touched by tributes.  (Read 6788 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Shaka touched by tributes.
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:40:28 AM »
Shaka touched by tributes.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Shaka donates testimonial cash to charity

Shaka Hislop expressed his appreciation to the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League and the nation's football fans after his official send off on the weekend in the Shaka Hislop Tribute Cup-a four-team mini-tournament played at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
Hislop, 38, brought his 15-year professional career to a close over three months ago when a recurring back injury prompted his premature retirement from his contract with FC Dallas of United States Major League Soccer (MLS).
Hislop, once Britain's most expensive goalkeeper after a $23 million move to Newcastle United, became one of England's most respected players during stints at West Ham and Portsmouth, while he was also honoured for his anti-racism work off the field.
However, he said the most treasured memory in his career was hearing the national anthem before kick off in Trinidad and Tobago's opening Germany 2006 World Cup game against Sweden in Dortmund.
The six foot five custodian produced a superb display in an historic goalless draw for the "Soca Warriors" against Sweden. His efforts clearly did not go unrecognised.
"I have had 15 fantastic years in football and to go out like this is very special," Hislop told the Express. "I feel very honoured and I was really taken aback by some of the tributes, particularly the kind words expressed by callers while I was on various radio and television programmes over the past few days."
There was a tangible award for Hislop, too, as the Pro League offered him a cheque worth $100,000 for his retirement fund. In a gesture typical of the big man, he distributed the money to various charities within seconds.
Thirty thousand dollars will go to the Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT)-he is honourary president of the fledgling organisation-while a similar sum goes to the Cotton Tree Foundation and a Tobago charity still to be determined.
The remaining $10,000 will be given to a coaching school in his old neighbourhood on Pearl Parkway, Diamond Vale, Diego Martin.
Hislop played 15 minutes for FC Dallas and ten minutes for the local Pro League All Star team on Sunday in the closing fixture of the Shaka Hislop Tribute Cup at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
Three minutes after entering the match, the lanky goalkeeper was already scooping the ball from the back of his net, although he saw the funny side of Defence Force striker Devon Jorsling's goal, which was skillfully created by Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA winger Hayden Tinto.
"I was thinking, 'geez, I haven't touched the ball yet'," said Hislop, who did not train for three months before the weekend competition. "I found myself a bit exposed but it was a really well worked goal. I just had to laugh.
"I really enjoyed myself, though."
Hislop did better when he joined the Pro League outfit in the second half and he helped the hosts hang on to their slender 1-0 lead with a fine reflex save to deny Dallas and Colombian star midfielder Juan Toja.
Hislop expressed his desire to help his compatriots after his retirement and has already begun to do so through FPATT. He described the performances of the Pro League teams as encouraging.
"You have to credit the Brazilians for the standard of their football, which was a lesson to the other teams," he said. "But, given the overall results, I think it showed that the Trinidad and Tobago players are well equipped to cope with the MLS."
Even in retirement, Hislop's considerable frame and reputation remain at the service of his fellow countrymen.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaka touched by tributes.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:04:39 AM »
When I heard about the donation first thing cross my mind was "what about FPATT??".  Nice to see them get some change.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:22:06 AM »
THEY LEAVE OUT THE $10 HE KEEP TO BUY A BEER! ;D
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:54:57 AM »
WELLTHE 10 IS TO A WORTHY CAUSE AS WELL

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:50:32 PM »
Actually I tink is 30 to buy himself, not d wife nor d kids KFC
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:43:56 AM »
Actually I tink is 30 to buy himself, not d wife nor d kids KFC

Ah remember I was returning home for the Bahrain game . Sit down on  the BWEE flight 901 ah think. The flight delayed because they missing a passenger. Man start to stcheups then they say is Shaka they waiting on people start to say oh ho. When he finally board and they say so loud applause like yuh does get from Trini who flying to Miami for the first time and the plane land safely.
Anyhow I complain that I did not get mih window seat , which was empty all this time... guess who sit down next to mih ?
Shaka, the first ting he do is apologise tuh mih for being late and den he say he , the wife and kids had jus move house and he was waiting all morning for them to install some ultra high speed broadband and his wife and daughters would not allow to leave as unless this was done, he say not even if he was playing Brazil in the WC final he woulda be able to leave if that was not done.
Then he pick up ah Suduko book and do that eat and drink champagne all flight.  ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:08:41 PM »
Yep d man is a Family Man
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 05:11:38 PM »
Shaka Hislop: 26 caps = Tribute Cup

Russell Latapy: 116 caps = ? ? ?

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 05:18:20 PM »

Grande, was it not Shaka who arranged this?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »

WC I thought it was the Pro League who did

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »
sorry, I missed that
Thanks
so now your confusion seems warranted.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:45:46 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 05:53:50 PM »
sorry, I missed that
Thanks
so now your confusion seems warranted.

:beermug:

Not really confused, Latas himself probably not expecting anything but we all know he is due something meaningful

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 07:13:11 PM »

Clayton JB Morris = 120 caps......and had brain surgery after a being knocked out in an international game ??????

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 08:55:25 PM »
Clayton JB Morris = 120 caps......and had brain surgery after a being knocked out in an international game ??????
did the TTFF give him any support after that?
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 09:01:15 PM »
26 caps or 260 caps d man retire. D man retire Latas still playin ball. Why in order to big up somebody we have to pull down another man. Shaka name enshrined in we WC HISTORY. Latas is due a huge BIG UP Shaka as well

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 09:06:05 PM »
Latas still playin ball.
I have a feeling that is why, eh Weary
Mr Latapy seems to be still very Active on the Field of play. ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:17:12 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 09:07:48 PM »
26 caps or 260 caps d man retire. D man retire Latas still playin ball. Why in order to big up somebody we have to pull down another man. Shaka name enshrined in we WC HISTORY. Latas is due a huge BIG UP Shaka as well

But weary who pull down Shaka in this thread?

By comparing the two stats I eh mean to imply that Shaka doh deserve a tribute... just that a worthwhile one to Latas is long overdue. Yes Latas playing still but I mean in an international context
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 09:11:49 PM by Grande »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:42:44 PM »
Shaka have much more ties to TNT than Latas his rolein FPATT etc thus easier to organize last weekend. When Latas say he done with Fairfik then he will have time to come 4 weekend like Shaka dis if d Pro League so chooses to honour d man.

Y compare d stats, aas it is said is lies, damn lies and statistics

1]; } ?>