March 28, 2024, 04:43:38 PM

Author Topic: Broken leg forces Carlos out for 6 weeks.  (Read 12038 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Broken leg forces Carlos out for 6 weeks.
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Carlos Edwards is out for a further six weeks after suffering a broken leg in Sunderland’s 1-0 win over Derby County on the weekend.
Edwards’ agent Mike Berry, in Trinidad on football business this week with former England international John Barnes, explained that Edwards suffered a blow on the calf which was strong enough to result in a broken fibia bone.
“The good thing is that it’s clean break with no other complications as such so it will take him about six weeks before he can be back on the pitch. But as the saying goes here in Trinidad, it seems like the guy needs a good bush bath because he has the worst run of injuries in the past year than he’s had in ten years or so,” Berry told TTFF Media.
“It’s been a nightmare for him. He got over the hamstring injury and came back against Everton and then got injured again versus Derby. The one good thing about Carlos is he’s a class player so we have to keep our fingers crossed that he’s not have further injury problems. It’s a clean break which means it will not take too long to heal and there are no ligament damage. We expect 4-6 weeks before he’s back and he is still going to be ready for the Ash Wednesday game against Guadeloupe which he’s looking forward to.”
“It wasn’t the start I was hoping for in the Premiership with the injury but these things happen and I have just got to move on and try to catch my form again after the injury heals. It took me three months to get back into the team and I must say this taught me a lot. I was patient before and now I have to wait a bit more again,” Edwards stated.
Berry was also pleased about Clayton Ince’s progress for Walsall in the English League One. The former Defence Force player was on Monday awarded the English League One “Player of the month” award.
“That’s really good for Clayton because it’s not often you see goalkeepers getting that award because normally that goes to an outfield player. He’s been in good form and he’s a fighter. He’s achieved quite a lot in England.  He’s broken the clean sheet records at Crewe Alexandra and at Walsall and now he’s just hoping to keep this form going into the next qualifying campaign,” Berry said.
Ince added: “This award is good but it’s all because of the hard work of the club itself. We are hard working bunch and I just try to do my part.”
The English agent also touched on Barnes’ visit saying that the former Liverpool star will be in the Caribbean over the next few weeks working in football clinics with youth players in conjunction with the Caribbean Football Union and a leading company. Further will be revealed on this later in the month.

Excerpts from UK Guardian report published last Wednesday. Written by David Conn. The book thrown at Luton stops short of top clubs.

Selective FA corruption charges do nothing to prove a new toughness but smack of expedience. Some who understood no more than the headlines last week seriously discussed the Luton charges as if they did show the FA growing tough on "corruption", tough on the causes of corruption, and described Mike Newell, the club's former manager, as having been "vindicated" in his famous whistleblowing on bungs.
Yet, on inquiry into the substance of the 55 charges, that view rather unravels. The bulk of them are very odd indeed, in which the FA seems to be saying that agents and clubs would be fine to break the rules, as long as they file some paperwork to support it. Some in the game are also accusing the FA of acting tough with a small club while shying away from charging any of 16 big clubs found by the Premier League's own Quest inquiry to have breached similar or identical rules, while Newcastle United and Birmingham City were found by two VAT tribunals to have done the same and also to have made false statements about it to the FA.
However, there is not a whiff of the FA bringing a single charge against any Premier League club. Within the Football League concerns are known to have been expressed at the FA's lack of consistency in implementing football's rules across all clubs.
To be clear, four of the charges against Luton allege that the club dealt with unlicensed agents, which does constitute a serious offence if proved. Yet the bulk of the charges relates to the allegation that the agents - all of them apparently acting legitimately, bringing players whom Luton and Newell wanted to sign, with no suggestion of "bungs" - were paid the fees due to them not directly by the club but by another company, Jayten. The FA's rules require clubs themselves to pay agents - but Jayten was, in fact, the holding company; it owned the club. So, although it may constitute a breach of the rules, and it is difficult to understand why the then chairman, Bill Tomlins, apparently admitted conducting the deals in this way, it does not quite coalesce into the scandal of the century.
The fact that the FA has brought such a charge seems only to demonstrate how surreally upside down the world of football transfers is. The agents, including Mike Berry, were in reality, acting for the players. They represented them and had written agreements with them to find the best deal around. Mike Berry, for example, an accountant who obtained his agent's licence in 1999 and has a clean record, introduced the Trinidadian midfielder Carlos Edwards to Luton after five years in which Edwards had dribbled winningly into the enduring affection of fans at Wrexham.
Berry says other clubs were clamouring to sign Edwards but Luton - and Newell - impressed them, so they chose Luton. Edwards was "on a Bosman", so Luton paid nothing to Wrexham and Berry earned a nice fee, £91,000. Following standard practice in football, the club, not the player, paid Berry. He says Tomlins asked him to invoice the club for £51,000, Jayten £40,000. Berry did so because he was asked but received, he says, no additional benefit from being paid in that way.
Incidentally Luton sold Edwards 19 months later, in January this year, to Sunderland, for £1.4m. Luton have said Newell's contract paid him a 10% commission on sales and, if true, he made £140,000 for selling Edwards on. Newell has never commented on the terms of his employment. He is suing Luton for wrongful dismissal and the case will be decided next June.
Berry is now charged, along with the other agents who acted in the same way, with failing to have a representation agreement - a written contract - with the club. Yet Berry was the player's agent; he had a contract with Edwards. If he entered into a representation agreement with the club as well, he would seem to be acting for both parties, which would be an apparent breach of FA rules. Yet the FA seems to be saying that would be fine but it just should all have been in writing.
In the cases of Newcastle and Birmingham the VAT tribunal proceedings were brought because HM Revenue and Customs contested this way of doing business. There, the clubs paid the players' agents directly, then reclaimed the VAT as if the agents had acted for the clubs. The tribunal ruled this was false because the agents clearly acted for the players and the Newcastle tribunal said it could even be illegal because of a conflict of interest. Both clubs are appealing, but neither denied the findings that they had filed misleading documents to the FA. More directly relevant to Luton, Newcastle, when signing 22 top players, told the FA on official forms that it had written agreements with the agents, when those agreements did not exist. "None of the documents generated by [Newcastle United]," the tribunal said, "can be relied upon as true and correct."

The agents' fight.

The agents in the Luton case have been sent standard forms by the FA which include the option of ticking a box for a guilty plea, but most of them are understood to be indignant at the charges and are considering fighting them.
Mike Berry said he had been told privately by an FA official that, even if found guilty, the offences registered "on a scale of seriousness, one to two out of 10". But he added: "My record is unblemished and I am very disappointed to be charged with any supposed offence. I am consulting my solicitor to see how I can fight this nonsense."
Privately, some agents are amazed that the FA has charged them for not having a representation contract with the club when they represented the players. Sky Andrew is another understood to be consulting a lawyer, as is David Manasseh. It is possible that some agents will join forces to contest the charges.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:11:12 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Broken leg forces Carlos out for 6 weeks.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:05:35 PM »
nightmare confirmed

Good luck Carlos ...Hope you get better soon... at least now you could enjoy your Christmas break

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
Well look on the bright side, it's only six weeks as oppossed to the whole season.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 04:10:51 PM »
Well look on the bright side, it's only six weeks as oppossed to the whole season.

and its actually 4-6 weeks so thats not bad considering he was out for 3 months with a hamstring injury

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 04:16:10 PM »
Another reason why I doh like to rejoice in ah next man injury...you never know when the injury bug will come bite you or one of your own.  Hard luck dey Carlos, juss sit out 'til mid-january then start working your way back to fitness.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Carlos Edwards is out for a further six weeks after suffering a broken leg in Sunderland’s 1-0 win over Derby County on the weekend.
Edwards’ agent Mike Berry, in Trinidad on football business this week with former England international John Barnes, explained that Edwards suffered a blow on the calf which was strong enough to result in a broken fibia bone.

This is the same mistake the guy on the smb forum made.
The fibula is the smaller bone in the lower leg, the tibia is the larger. There is no fibia.

Anyway, quick and lasting recovery, Carlos!!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »
[/size]

Lord have mercy, this inexistent bone again...So I see the sunderland fan was selling it just as he buy it :thinking:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31:13 PM »
almost any news leak on that sunderland board does turn out to be true...

i find 4-6 weeks is good time to come back from a broken leg though..

enjoy de christmas carlos..

TrinInfinite

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31:24 PM »
this is not good news, carlos will take a lil while to get into form.... this is a serious injury.. >:(
get better breddah, we need yuh...

God is de BOSS...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »
alyuh all joke set aside even doh u break a bone and it heal, your muscles and ligament does take a while to come back because it does be weak it will take a good while before he regain his form
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »
well look like tv6 drinking from de same polluted source cause carla fod now say carlos break he "fibia" on the news report

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:03 PM »
i was wondering that u know i feel a tv6 man does be on this site, may the man reveal himself please  :devil:  ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:07:24 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:01:58 PM »
wtf lord

I eh no big religion man eh but how yuh could type de above in de same line?

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 10:45:25 PM »
Palos Goat Mouth cause this!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:
TnT Patriot

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 07:45:14 AM »
Fibia, Tibia

Colombia, Columbia
cook, cock.

Man does make mistake sometimes.

Personally I couldn't tell my fibia from my Tibia befrore I came onto this site.

Thanks E Man  ;)

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 09:05:28 AM »
So did anybody see the incident that led to the broken leg?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »
Real sad!  Good luck Carlos, I will remember to pray for you, my brother!  Keep your chin up!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:36:14 AM »
he need to bathe with blue soap...a sending a box...
all kicks aside...Speedy recovery!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »
wha fox sports know bout bush bath   ???

Edwards set for six-week absence

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7528548

Sunderland winger Carlos Edwards will be sidelined for around six weeks after his agent revealed he broke his leg in Saturday's win over Derby.

The 29-year-old's agent has revealed he suffered a fracture in the clash with defender Jay McEveley which forced him from the field 13 minutes from time.

He is expected to be out of action for around six weeks, and that will come as a major blow to both the player and manager Roy Keane.

Agent Mike Berry told TTFF media: "The good thing is that it's a clean break with no other complications as such so it will take him about six weeks before he can be back on the pitch.

"But as the saying goes here in Trinidad, it seems like the guy needs a good bush bath because he has the worst run of injuries in the past year than he's had in 10 years or so.

"It has been a nightmare for him. He got over the hamstring injury and came back against Everton and then got injured again versus Derby.

"The one good thing about Carlos is he is a class player, so we have to keep our fingers crossed that he does not have further injury problems.

"It is a clean break which means it will not take too long to heal, and there are no ligament damage. We expect four to six weeks before he is back."

Sunderland are yet to confirm the injury, with no comment expected from Keane until his pre-match press conference on Friday, but the news will come as a huge disappointment.

Edwards left the Stadium of Light on crutches on Saturday evening after his luck deserted him once again just three games into his comeback from a hamstring tear.

He returned to action in the 1-1 derby draw with Newcastle on November 10 almost three months after damaging his hamstring at Birmingham during the opening week of the season.

The Trinidad and Tobago international, who joined the club in a £1.4million switch from Luton in January, also suffered a nasty shoulder injury last season.

He was one of the key men in Sunderland's late charge towards the Championship title, injecting pace and goals into Keane's side from the right wing.

His latest misfortune leaves the Irishman with a serious headache as he prepares for Saturday's daunting trip to Chelsea.

Keane's options down the right are limited in both midfield and defence with Paul McShane having had to shuffle across into the middle of the back four because of Nyron Nosworthy's hamstring problem.

Greg Halford slipped in at right-back for the 1-0 victory over the Rams and turned in one of his better performances for the club, and while he could push forward, a lack of cover at the back means that is less likely.
advertisement

Keane has played skipper Dean Whitehead, Grant Leadbitter and Liam Miller wide in midfield in the past, while strikers Anthony Stokes and Michael Chopra have also lined up there.

However, he has also altered the shape of his side away from home and may instead decide to play five across the middle with Kenwyne Jones up front by himself.

The Irishman could be forgiven for bemoaning his luck having just got Edwards and Whitehead back to fitness following long-term lay-offs.

Nosworthy is almost four weeks into his recovery from a hamstring tear, but summer signings Kieran Richards and Russell Anderson remain on the sidelines with back and ankle problems respectively.

Keane has admitted fitness concerns have exposed the lack of depth in his squad, and that is something he will hope to address once the winter transfer window opens next month.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »
It was a rough tackle but it didn't look THAT bad to me. I'd like to see it again. Funny thing is the ref call the foul against Carlos.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 11:05:50 AM »
It must have been a helluva tackle if the man bone get a clean break from a tackle by his calf....that league rough no ass

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »
6 weeks from ah break foot?....dey mean six weeks before he start rehabilitating. and den must be ah 4 months before playing again.  Unless he get David Beckam or Rooney doctor from de World Cup

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 11:38:28 AM »
6 weeks from ah break foot?....dey mean six weeks before he start rehabilitating. and den must be ah 4 months before playing again.  Unless he get David Beckam or Rooney doctor from de World Cup
Rooney just recently broke a bone in his foot, and he'sa back already in training.                positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 11:38:45 AM »
It was a rough tackle but it didn't look THAT bad to me. I'd like to see it again. Funny thing is the ref call the foul against Carlos.

You can see him limping along the sideline here at about 3 minutes in - doesn't look bad though.
http://www.gofish.com/player.gfp?gfid=30-1173939
unfortunately, the video frame rate is kind of low, wasn't able to find a better one.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 11:48:06 AM »
Ngozi..."helluva" tackle...dais a Claude Noel dey o wha ??...lol
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »
It's been a  while since I saw a story come out in so many outlets:

Edwards sidelined with a broken leg - RTE.ie
Sunderland's Carlos Edwards out for six weeks - Telegraph.co.uk
Edwards ruled out with broken leg - BBC Sport
Edwards set for six-week absence - Yahoo! Eurosport
Sunderland will be without winger Edwards until new year - Belfast Telegraph
Edwards set for six-week absence - Soccer365
Sunderland star out until New Year - South Tyneside Today
Keane blow as Edwards breaks leg - ITN
Edwards set for six-week absence - Football365.co.za
Sunderland will be without winger Edwards until new year - Irish Independent
Halford settles in as Carlos suffers another big blow - The Northern Echo
Edwards ruled out for six months with broken leg - ESPN
Edwards set for six-week absence - Teamtalk.com
Club silent on Edwards break claims - This is Nottingham
Edwards: Overseas players paid dividends - AntiguaSun
Club silent on Edwards break claims - Kickoff
Wear winger in new blow - ChronicleLive
Premier League - Edwards suffers broken leg - Yahoo! Eurosport
Edwards faces six weeks on sidelines - Scenta.co.uk
Edwards out until New Year - SkySports
Edwards faces six weeks on sidelines - Guardian Unlimited
Edwards suffers broken leg - Setanta Sports
Edwards blow for Cats - Clubcall
Edwards leg break confirmed - Eatsleepsport.com
Edwards suffers further woe - Sportbox
Club silent on Edwards break claims - Ireland Online
Edwards suffers further woe - 4TheGame
Agent confirms Edwards' broken leg - ITV.com
Sunderland silent as Edwards may face eight weeks out - Daily Mail
Tough break for Cats flyer Carlos - Soccer365

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 11:58:23 AM »
Ngozi..."helluva" tackle...dais a Claude Noel dey o wha ??...lol
Lol...I still remember dat, who was dat against Virgil 'Sugar' Hill?

"he buss me lip..." lawd ah was shame...

Anyways, with regards to Carlos, it might be a hairline fracture, which in all honesty is still a 'break'...maybe that's why the prognosis is only 6 weeks.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

and its actually 4-6 weeks so thats not bad considering he was out for 3 months with a hamstring injury

NOT BAD OH LAWD HE TURNING OUT TO BE LIKE OWEN, TOO MUCH JAMMING IN THE PREM.
BREAK LEG IS BREAK LEG that is going to affect him psychologically and may alter his natural game, ASK CISSE  ;D

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »
Soccernet says Edwards ruled out for six months with broken leg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............................

6 MONTHS or 6 weeks?  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 02:56:32 PM »
It betta b 6 wks
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>