April 26, 2024, 10:50:57 AM

Author Topic: John Barnes scouts the Caribbean for talent.  (Read 5323 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
John Barnes scouts the Caribbean for talent.
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:52:44 PM »
John Barnes scouts the Caribbean for talent.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago among seven Caribbean countries will benefit from football coaching clinics under the guidance of former England and Liverpool star John Barnes in January 2008.
Barnes was in Trinidad over the past two days and will return next month to begin the clinic which is being hosted by Digicel and will present opportunities for some of the region’s best Under 20 players to earn a chance to train with English Premiership club Sunderland.
The event is being hosted in conjunction with the Caribbean Football Union, under the presidency of Jack Warner and the communications giant will say further about it at a launch later on.
Barnes, whose father is Trinidadian, appeared excited describing the Caribbean as an untapped market for football talent.
“I’m going to be here for the program to look at the talent and try and give opportunities for young players in the Caribbean. We will be in seven of the islands running five-day clinics with under 20 teams and choosing the best players to go to Sunderland for a week to train at the professional club,” Barnes explained to TTFF Media as he viewed a T&T National Under 20 team screening session at UWI Grounds, St Augustine on Tuesday in the company of national coaches Wim Rijsbergen, Anton Corneal, Jan Van Deinsen and English agent Mike Berry as well as a couple US College scouts. Referring to the Caribbean as an untapped market, Barnes added: “You see what happened in Africa 20 to 30 years ago when a lot of the people were slow to recognize the talent… England particularly were slow. This (the Caribbean) is an untapped market. You see Jamaica qualifying for the World Cup in 1998 and then the Soca Warriors qualifying for the last World Cup…  Kenwyne Jones now and from Dwight Yorke days you see a lot of talent coming out but it needs to be harnessed and given an opportunity. In England now they recognize the fact that although Africa is saturated, this is the next place where you are going to get the next talent coming out to hopefully grace the Premier League,” Barnes said.
The England international, capped 79 times for that country, recognized FIFA Vice President Jack Warner for his efforts in taking regional football up a notch.
“If you look at what’s happening in the Caribbean even before Jamaica qualified and the success of this region over the last fifteen years financial and otherwise, not just on the playing field… it’s down’s to Jack Warner. Jack really has put the Caribbean on the map. Even people in Europe which is the stronghold of world football if you like, have recognized the role that Jack has played in brining on football in this region. The great America has benefited from Jack. Football has changed. It’s a business now and once upon a time people were being exploited, particularly in Africa, and of course someone as powerful as Jack Warner will ensure that the players and the associations of this region who may have been exploited once upon a time will now not be exploited and they will benefit from having Jack on board,” Barnes added.

Click here for full John Barnes interview.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:07:14 AM by Flex »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: John Barnes scouts the Caribbean for talent
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:34:35 PM »
John Barnes scouts the Caribbean for talent
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Barnes, whose father is Trinidadian,

Ohho so that is where he got his skill from.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:38:37 PM »
Wait nuh touches you had no idea the pops was trini beofre ....or yuh doing that to rile up RF
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
I think his father was in the WI regiment in JA when we had the Federation. I think he was a major.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: John Barnes scouts the Caribbean for talent.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 06:24:48 PM »
I was really liking this article until I red Barnes sucking up to Jack Warner. Hey Barnes, why not, you are right, let not the English man exploite us, we have our very own Jack Warner who is very capable of doing that. Nothing like yuh own people exploiting you.

Hyland, Guerra and Peltier comes to mind and Jack Warner Jr (Michael "Dunce" McComie).

Hey Barnes, get Jack to support a players union in T&T if he so call care. Let me guess, he has nothing to benefit this is why he hasn't jump on the FPATT bandwaggon as yet.....

I guess in many eyes its better for a black man to exploite his own people than an English man....

Makes me realise why Barnes represented England instead of T&T or even the Reggae Toyz. Like he get exploited too... :devil:

He didn't do to well coaching Celtic, maybe he should join some local team and build a name for himself if he so call looking out for us or maybe he wants to be an agent and reak in some untap dollars.

The headline should read "John Barnes scouts the Caribbean for retirement dollars"

If he genuinely trying to help then go right ahead.....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:52:04 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »
"and of course someone as powerful as Jack Warner will ensure that the players and the associations of this region who may have been exploited once upon a time will now not be exploited and they will benefit from having Jack on board,” Barnes added.

Unless Mr Warner has confided in John Barnes that he's about to recognise FPATT, this is an unbelievably naive statement to make. If John Barnes is so switched on and hip to Caribbean football, he must be aware that the player he is praising as an example of Trinidads quality, Kenwyne Jones, has been blacklisted by the man he is applauding.

So now the blacklist is removed, will John Barnes be encouraging Jack to support a players association. After all, he was a member of the PFA all of his career. 

Its good that a high profile figure can offer encouragement to young players. However, a little prior research may avoid later embarrassment.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 07:16:57 PM »
 "It’s a business now and once upon a time people were being exploited, particularly in Africa, and of course someone as powerful as Jack Warner will ensure that the players and the associations of this region who may have been exploited once upon a time will now not be exploited and they will benefit from having Jack on board,” Barnes added."

::). Sweet mother irony, shine your light upon this man's eyes.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 10:17:48 PM »
Someone need to tell Hardest about this, so he will come back to the Windies....

Hey btw, what's going on with our most popular footballer?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:22 AM »
"It’s a business now and once upon a time people were being exploited, particularly in Africa, and of course someone as powerful as Jack Warner will ensure that the players and the associations of this region who may have been exploited once upon a time will now not be exploited and they will benefit from having Jack on board  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:,” Barnes added."
 ::). Sweet mother irony, shine your light upon this man's eyes.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Barnes ent hear bout de JackLIST
I need to send Barnes that thread that Dreamer created. ;)
anybody have his email addy?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:47:40 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 04:45:01 AM »
Someone need to tell Hardest about this, so he will come back to the Windies....

last we heard he was playing "serious ball" in an unknown location
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 05:04:22 AM »

last we heard he was playing "serious ball" in an unknown location

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Midknight it too early for mih to start falling of de chair in stitches......one ah dese days dis forum going to make mih lose mih wuk.... :rotfl:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
Hardest too old you aint hear the men looking for U 20 men or what

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »
Serious talk....what happen to Hardest ?
Since he get drop from Rangers I see him on one interview talking about the dismissal and then I never hear about him again.  Ah doh even see him moving around the area again.

TI, leh we know wha going on nah.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 11:14:17 AM »
Since he get drop from Rangers I see him on one interview talking about the dismissal and then I never hear about him again.  Ah doh even see him moving around the area again.

Good Lord....why yuh had to go dey?....yuh find de board too quiet dese days??  ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 11:32:48 AM »

Good Lord....why yuh had to go dey?....yuh find de board too quiet dese days?? ;D

We could always do with a lil shake up now and then  ;D

Nah...buh I really didn't know what was going on with Hardest.  Thanks for the thread link WestCoast, ah had missed that one.

To bring we back to the topic...Barnes should know about being exploited.  I remember watching him suck bench for England for sometime, even after he was ripping up the league everyday with Liverpool....but they just wouldn't play a black man.  I believe it was in 1990 WC they give him a sweat  and in the first game he play he rip. They give him a small sweat next match again and he rip again, only then they start to give him more regular sweat.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

1]; } ?>