April 20, 2024, 04:41:21 AM

Author Topic: World warned of traveling to T&T  (Read 3061 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
World warned of traveling to T&T
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:14:59 AM »
BRITAIN, Canada, Australia and the United States are still warning their nationals about the risks of travelling to Trinidad and Tobago.

They all warn about the crime levels in the country, and some even continue advise about a threat of terrorism.

Several countries have been issuing travel warnings or advisories about T&T for the past three years when the homicide and kidnappings rate began to escalate.

On Monday, Britain’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) updated the travel advisory on its Web site www.fco.gov.uk to warn travellers “you should be aware that there are high levels of violent crime, including shootings and kidnappings.”

It notes that “British nationals have been victims of violent attacks, particularly in Tobago where law enforcement is weak.”

It also states that “cruise ship passengers should take particular care when walking along the docks and downtown (Port-of-Spain).”

Giving examples of British nationals being attacked, injured and robbed, it warns of an increase in attacks at tourist sites and car parks of supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants and business premises.

In Tobago, it says, visits are generally trouble-free but refers to incidents of robbery and violence, including rape.

It advises caution in renting villas in the south-west of the island, near Bethel, Buccoo, Mount Pleasant and Plymouth.

The Web site also carries a country profile which states: “Trans-shipment of illegal drugs, money-laundering and associated violent crime are all problems that Trinidad and Tobago faces. It also has a high level of domestic violence. The prison population is high.”

CANADA

Similarly, Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs maintains a “high degree of caution” when visiting T&T, “due to high crime rates.”

Its Travel Advice notes that “robberies with violence, including assaults and rape, occur frequently” in Port-of-Spain, San Fernando and other urban areas.

It says “crimes of opportunity such as petty theft tend to increase during...Carnival in February or March and during the Christmas holidays.”

As it has in the past, it maintains that “incidents of gangs following cars leaving Piarco Airport and robbing travellers once they reach their destination have been reported.”

In a one-sentence reference to Tobago, it states “tourists and foreign nationals are also victims of crime” on the island.

AUSTRALIA

Australia carries a more succinct Travel Advice which also warns a “high degree of caution” due to “high levels of serious crime.”

It says “armed robbery is common and “the number of violent crimes, including assault, sexual assault, kidnapping and murder continues to increase.”

It advises that “local authorities, particularly in Tobago, often have limited capacity to provide assistance.”

THE US

The US State Department’s Web site’s information on T&T has not changed since April 13, 2007.

It, too, states that “incidents of violent crime have been steadily on the rise on both islands.”

It goes on to warn against using maxi taxis as they “have been linked to many road accidents and some instances of crime.

A spokesman at the US Embassy in Port-of-Spain said yesterday there have been no major incidents of late to prompt any change in the Consular Information on T&T.

TERRORISM

To Britain, “there is an underlying threat from terrorism” in T&T, according to the FCO Web site.

It states, “Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.”

It continues to make reference to some explosions that took place two years ago: “There were five separate bombings in Port-of-Spain between July and October 2005, in which a number of people were injured. These incidents look to have been domestically-motivated.”

The US does not mention terrorism, but makes reference to the 2005 bombings. It says, “While no similar incidents have occurred since that time, the perpetrator(s) have not been arrested and their identities and motive remain unknown. Americans living or visiting Port-of-Spain are advised to exercise caution, especially in crowded urban areas.”

Canada also carries no terrorism warning on its Travel Advice, and Australia notes only that “terrorism is a threat throughout the world.”

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited
Designed by: Randall Rajkumar-Maharaj · Updated daily by: Nicholas Attai

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World warned of traveling to T&T
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:15:17 PM »
cyar blame dem
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »
They ent lie.

Things bad down here. Additionally I feel sorry for a cruise ship passenger coming to visit the city.

If they ent get lick down trying to cross the road..they hadda take in the wonderful aroma of port of spain, dodge shit and vagrants and mind the lil street children, pipers or pickpockets ent ketch up with them by the time they reach the promenade.

If they only make the mistake and feed a stray dog or pet one...is a whole squad following them into the city.

Then they have only two streets to walk about..Fredrick and Henry, before and after that is nuttin.

Not cool

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:58:37 AM »
They ent lie.

Things bad down here. Additionally I feel sorry for a cruise ship passenger coming to visit the city.

If they ent get lick down trying to cross the road..they hadda take in the wonderful aroma of port of spain, dodge shit and vagrants and mind the lil street children, pipers or pickpockets ent ketch up with them by the time they reach the promenade.

If they only make the mistake and feed a stray dog or pet one...is a whole squad following them into the city.

Then they have only two streets to walk about..Fredrick and Henry, before and after that is nuttin.

Not cool

Correct is right. We do a fair amount of cruising so I'm at all the major discussion groups/forums. The horror stories you hear from people when they visit POS is hard to defend at times. You get mr tourist who juss come from another island that "really" caters for tourists and now he expects the same from POS. Now I juss avoid discussion relating to POS. The sad truth is, POS is the absolute worst when it comes to a cruise ship dock and I've been to just about everyone in the caribbean. I've never been to Jamdown, but I hear/read similar stories about their ports.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:24:35 AM »
The idiocy highighted in this article is that Tobago - the island more along the tourist vibe expected by visitors - is undermanned.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
trinidad has to stiffen up de police force. well the police for sure i do not trust but i think there should be some sort of elite squad similar to SWAT who doh make joke with anything. theres a brazilian movie called "tropa de elite". if any of u fellas get a chance to see it,  you'll know what i mean.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 12:02:42 PM »
trinidad has to stiffen up de police force. well the police for sure i do not trust but i think there should be some sort of elite squad similar to SWAT who doh make joke with anything. theres a brazilian movie called "tropa de elite". if any of u fellas get a chance to see it,  you'll know what i mean.

But we have dat long time.

It used to be Burroughs and the Flying Squad

Now it is simply known as the "Tactical"...they does be in black with bullet proof vest driving around in white van.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 01:06:42 PM »
tell meh any place that  should not have ah warning against impending  psychological, mental , emotional, physical or blatant threats to one's psyche?

see:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=20929.0

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 12:11:44 AM »

But we have dat long time.

It used to be Burroughs and the Flying Squad

Now it is simply known as the "Tactical"...they does be in black with bullet proof vest driving around in white van.

look i find a little piece of de movie about 9 mins long. you'll see how serious they are....if trinidad HAD something like this then i dont think you'd be seeing a high crime rate. i know we've had something like that but i feel they arent serious.....i'd join them myself....too much evil in this world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyAG8DWq7xw
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

leroy

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 01:06:45 PM »
excuse me guys for been intrusive,however this is currently one of the best sites administered in the Caribbean and do not think am begging friends :).Anyhow am surprise Jamaica is not included on the list,we currently have sixteen murders a day or 5840 a year,sometimes inner city village residents flee there homes because of Gunmen.The thing is that politicians have flood there constituents with guns and all past administration have done so,and again Guns from Hispaniola have flood Jamaica with hi-tech armmunition.
I cannot believe Jamaica reach this stage,a couple months ago a forumite once post an article on reggae's forum where a journalist from the USA was investigating a area in St Andrew Jamaica where former finance minister Omar Davies was the political chief.The finance minister come out to let the journalist know that guns was a part of his strategy to keep his constituency subdued.Now it's out of control where the politicians them selves cannot supervise crime and violence in Jamaica.

So Trinidad in not half bad like Jamaica,I would encourage Barbadians to stay with england a little longer rather than been a republic because it was a British ship patrolling the Jamaica channel (area between Jamaica & Haiti) that let people realized what was going on.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:27:05 PM by leroy »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 01:27:25 PM »
excuse me guys for been intrusive,however this is currently one of the best sites administered in the Caribbean and do not think am begging friends :).Anyhow am surprise Jamaica is not included on the list,we currently have sixteen murders a day or 5840 a year,sometimes inner city village residents flee there homes because of Gunmen.The thing is that politicians have flood there constituents with guns and all past administration have done so,and again Guns from Hispaniola have flood Jamaica with hi-tech armmunition.
I cannot believe Jamaica reach this stage,a couple months ago a forumite once post an article on reggae's forum where a journalist from the USA was investigating a area in St Andrew Jamaica where former finance minister Omar Davies was the political chief.The finance minister come out to let the journalist know that guns was a part of his strategy to keep his constituency subdued.Now it's out of control where the politicians them selves cannot supervise crime and violence in Jamaica.

So Trinidad in not half bad like Jamaica,I would encourage Barbadians to stay with england a little longer rather than been a republic because it was a British ship patrolling the Jamaica channel (area between Jamaica & Haiti) that let people realized what was going on.

I thought it was around 1500.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »

breds your murder rate never reach 5000, the most it ever reach i believe is 1700 to 1900, if its 6 murders a day its 2190 i believe, where are you coming with these inflated figures? ??? ja is 3 times the size and population of tt, just about anywhere you step out of line in trinidad yuh gettin it right now, we dont have safe havens like in jamaica, no tourist areas, only the rich areas, an even there crime is coming in there, we have kidnapping, ja dont have that, we have radical islamic movements and not to mention 5 diff races who are into the drug trade and gun smuggling... but ja bad off, dont get me wrong...

God is de BOSS....

leroy

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 01:32:38 PM »

I thought it was around 1500.
1500 is not bad even a very senior police officer was killed the other day.

leroy

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 01:36:24 PM »

breds your murder rate never reach 5000, the most it ever reach i believe is 1700 to 1900, if its 6 murders a day its 2190 i believe, where are you coming with these inflated figures? ??? ja is 3 times the size and population of tt, just about anywhere you step out of line in trinidad yuh gettin it right now, we dont have safe havens like in jamaica, no tourist areas, only the rich areas, an even there crime is coming in there, we have kidnapping, ja dont have that, we have radical islamic movements and not to mention 5 diff races who are into the drug trade and gun smuggling... but ja bad off, dont get me wrong...

God is de BOSS....

my breadren just hear it on a local media house from kingston 16 a day!.I know you cannot believe that,jamaica is officially the murder capital of the world.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 03:20:04 PM »

God is de BOSS....

my breadren just hear it on a local media house from kingston 16 a day!.I know you cannot believe that,jamaica is officially the murder capital of the world.

joberg is the murder capital of the world breddah... close to 50 or more a day.... brazil is the murder country of thw world.. over 50 000 a year.. 16 a day breddah is only 2190 family... ja have murder but thats it... the survey takes into account corrutpion and drugs and tt runs far ahead in drugs and coruption...

God is de BOSS....

leroy

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 04:09:42 PM »
you maybe right my brother about Brazil being the murder country of the world,but brazil have 150 million people (conservative figures).but jamaica with just 3 million thats huge!. anyhow how my bredrin I am not going to push the argument further, if it is brazil it's brazil or colombia we do not need those crime stats anywhere in Trinidad,Jamaica or the english speaking caribbean.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 04:56:30 PM »
you maybe right my brother about Brazil being the murder country of the world,but brazil have 150 million people (conservative figures).but jamaica with just 3 million thats huge!. anyhow how my bredrin I am not going to push the argument further, if it is brazil it's brazil or colombia we do not need those crime stats anywhere in Trinidad,Jamaica or the english speaking caribbean.
I was begining to wonder? but now allyuh making a lil sense. who want's to be proud of their countries decadence! i hope no one of course. we don't need no bloody crime stats in T&T, ppl tired of that now, we want peace and security,not all this criminal activity.

ppl cant even walk the streets with a little jewellry, that's how much ppl living in prison there, and it's time for it to dun. to much corruption going on in T&T, and the government just don't care enough.

i say the army should just take over and clean up the place, court marshall and imprison them corrupted f#ckers, then recall election with politicians that really care about the ppl, and the countrie's wellfare. ongoing criminal activity in a country is a sign of a corrupt government and society.                positive.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 05:50:54 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »

God is de BOSS....

joberg is the murder capital of the world breddah... close to 50 or more a day.... brazil is the murder country of thw world.. over 50 000 a year.. 16 a day breddah is only 2190 family... ja have murder but thats it... the survey takes into account corrutpion and drugs and tt runs far ahead in drugs and coruption...

God is de BOSS....

TI, he's right - since 2000, JA officially has the highest murder rate (not total murders) in the world (obviously not counting war zones). Venezuela second, South Africa third. Dont feel like searching the net for that list right now, but if you're interested, look it up. Jamaica is in a mess.

Unofficially though, I figure countries like South Africa will have far more unreported murders

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2006/01/060103_murderlist.shtml

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 07:17:56 PM »

God is de BOSS....

God is de BOSS....

TI, he's right - since 2000, JA officially has the highest murder rate (not total murders) in the world (obviously not counting war zones). Venezuela second, South Africa third. Dont feel like searching the net for that list right now, but if you're interested, look it up. Jamaica is in a mess.

Unofficially though, I figure countries like South Africa will have far more unreported murders

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2006/01/060103_murderlist.shtml
No disrespect ryan , but you are wrong. i was online earlier this year, and specifically looked up crime stats, cause a freind of mine who works for WTO was planning a trip to T&T for a long time had an oportunity to go there for a survey, which she did eventually. in my search i discovered that columbia had the highest murder rate per capita, (excluding the civil war) south africa was second, and jamaica 3rd, followed by venezuela, and brazil. i think trinidad was about tenth or eleventh.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>