March 29, 2024, 07:50:21 AM

Author Topic: Jamaica to host T&T in friendly on March 26.  (Read 9304 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jamaica to host T&T in friendly on March 26.
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »
Sancho seeks Christmas magic.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

The Christmas period can be especially hectic for professional footballers in Britain. There can be as many as five fixtures crammed into the festive period, which is a crucial phase of the football season.
For Trinidad and Tobago star Brent Sancho, it might be a defining chapter of his career.
The 30-year-old defender has nine days and three matches to resuscitate his floundering career at relegation-threatened England League One outfit, Millwall, or possibly face another extended episode outside the embrace of the professional game.
Today, Boxing Day, he hopes to make his Millway debut at home to Brighton but should take little for granted after being left out the first team for the past two matches.
How did it come to this for the combative defender whose long dreadlocks were once the talk of the game's most prestigious tournament, the Germany 2006 World Cup?
Sancho shot to international prominence when England and Liverpool striker Peter Crouch grabbed a fistful of his locks en route to a late and ultimately decisive goal in the World Cup group stage clash between the two nations. Up to that point, the "Soca Warriors" had lasted more than 170 minutes without conceding against gifted attackers like Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovich and Henrik Larsson and England's Michael Owen.
A goalless draw against England would have prompted dreams of a place in the second round but, instead, defeat to the former colonial power was followed by a similar 2-0 loss to Paraguay and the Warriors were packing their bags.
Sancho, incidentally, scored an own goal midway through the first half against Paraguay that paved the way to a South American triumph.
"I hope that was not my last game for my country," Sancho told the Express. "The World Cup was like a whole other world with all the drama of the own goal and almost getting married and so on."
Sancho proposed to his long-time girlfriend during the World Cup but the euphoria of Germany was temporary. After rubbing shoulders with the game's elite and receiving the Chaconia Gold Medal from the Trinidad and Tobago government, he returned to an allegedly lukewarm reception from his English employer, League One stragglers, Gillingham.
The anticipated offers from more high-profile clubs never materialised while he was felt - by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) at least - to be at the forefront of a World Cup bonus dispute between players and administrators that is before an international sports tribunal at present.
In a flash, Sancho was "blacklisted" by his country and frozen out by his club manager Ronnie Jepson, who felt he had lost focus and, according to the player, never forgave him for picking country over club during the World Cup qualifying campaign. His darkest moments coincided with a split from the woman he hoped to marry.
"Everything just seemed to be so difficult after the World Cup," he said. "You would think, after the World Cup, things would blossom and it was difficult in terms of my expectations. Whatever was supposed to materialise never did and it was especially difficult not being able to represent my country again for a year after so much joy in playing at the World Cup."
It got worse as Sancho, then a free agent, failed to land a deal in Britain last summer despite a few trials with lower division clubs. He claimed to have spurned offers from Greece.
"I got to find out through different agents that (Jepson) was giving me bad references to clubs," he said, "and it is difficult to find a new club when you have a bad tag to your name."
He credited family, friends, God and his World Cup teammates with helping him stave off depression over the past five months. He and goalkeeper Kelvin Jack have been especially chatty. Jack played alongside Sancho at Scottish outfit, Dundee, and followed him to Gillingham but also fell out of favour at the club and is expected to move on when his contract expires next June, if not sooner.
But the most important figure in Sancho's rehabilitation, hopefully, would be Millwall manager Kenny Jackett.
Jackett, who tried to sign Sancho last year while he was Swansea manager, offered a four-week deal to the former Trinity College and Malick schoolboy earlier this month.
"I want to settle in with a club for a long period of time," said Sancho. "I lost quite a bit of that hunger with all the disappointments after the World Cup and I think I went into a state of shock. The hunger is back now.
"I will be working extremely hard (over the next two weeks) to get another deal and to push on from there."
He described his hurt at prospective employers who questioned whether he was capable of playing at Championship level - a rung below the Premiership - after he felt that he did so well among the world's best players at the World Cup.
"I guess this is life and a good lesson for the younger players," he said. "They will always be questioning your credentials because you come from a small country and you have to keep fighting.
"I strongly believe I can play in the Premiership and I want to achieve that goal. But first, I want to do very well for Millwall because they gave me that opportunity and I know I have to repay them."
Thus far, there is little indication that Millwall signed Sancho for any reason other than to provide cover in case of injuries over the hectic Christmas season. Millwall played twice since his arrival and the Warrior was not in the 18-man squad for either fixture.
Incidentally, Millwall lost the two games and conceded six goals while scoring just twice. They clearly need steel in the back as well as some Christmas magic. Hopefully, Sancho will get the chance to provide both before his contract expires on January 3.
News from the 23rd of December 2007

Corneal's first aim is to get the right mix‏.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/color]

Anton Corneal, interim coach of the Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team in light of the six-month suspension handed to Wim Rijsbergen, says his immediate focus will be getting the right mixture of players based overseas and locally into the National set up again as this country looks ahead to the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.
First on the agenda is the Ash Wednesday February 6 friendly international against Guadeloupe at the Queen’s Park Oval. And for this encounter which will also be part of the T&T Football Federation’s centennial celebrations, Corneal will consider all players for selection including members of the 2006 World Cup team who have not represented the country since a friendly against Austria on November 15, 2006.
Corneal has been an assistant coach to the T&T Senior Team in years gone by under head coaches Zoran Vranes, Jochen Figge, Kenny Joseph and most recent Leo Beenhakker at the 2006 World Cup and Rijsbergen. He also led Malta Carib Alcons to the 1993 Caribbean Professional League crown as player/coach. At the top of his list of achievements as head coach is definitely leading T&T’s National Under 17 team to the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Championship. Currently, there will hardly be a player who will be in the mix of the Senior Team who hasn’t had experience working with the former national player.
“I am not coming into the position as an inexperienced coach and I think that is an advantage for me as well as should be beneficial to the entire set up,” Corneal told TTFF Media.
“I have been fortunate to work with coaches like Jochan Figge, Vranes and of course Leo Beenhakker and Rijsbergen. Added to that I have worked with almost every player that will be in the mix for the campaign coming up and that will benefit both sides,” he added.
“Some people may not be aware of all this but what is most important is that the parties that are actually involved in the development of our football and the overall game in Trinidad and Tobago are well aware and can ensure that we use it to our benefits.
“This is going to be a challenge but the main focus has to be the continuing of our programme towards the 2010 World Cup. We may be somewhat behind but we haven’t been totally out of it and it’s a matter of us getting back on track which everyone involved is committed to at this time.
“It’s important at this time to have back the best mix possible including the overseas and local players. There are also young and upcoming players who need to be given the opportunity at this time and that along with getting the right mixture will have to be looked at over our next three games or so,” Corneal concluded.
Aside from the Guadeloupe game, T&T will meet Jamaica in Kingston on March 26 and continue preparations towards its opening World Cup qualifier against Bermuda/Cayman Islands in June 2008. Corneal mentioned that the initial squad for the Guadeloupe game will be selected in early 2008.
News from the 22nd of December 2007

Coach Wim Rijsbergen suspended !

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation wishes to advise that Mr Wilhelmus Rijsbergen has been suspended for a period of Six (6) months effective December 4 2007 to June 4 2008 and relieved from all duties of National Coach pursuant to the decision of the Disciplinary Committee of the TTFF dated December 5 2007.
Mr Anton Corneal, previously Assistant Coach of the T&T National Senior Team, will act as head coach until further notice. The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation also wishes to announce the resignation of Assistant Coach Mr Jan Van Deinsen on medical grounds effective December 31, 2007.
This country's next assignment on the international stage will be a friendly international against Guadeloupe on February 6 at the Queen's Park Oval. T&T will also travel to face Jamaica at the National Stadium in Kingston on March 26,2008. T&T's first World Cup qualifier towards the 2010 Finals will be played in June 2008 against the winner of the Bermuda/Cayman Islands first round tie.
News from the 17th of December 2007

Jamaica to host T&T in friendly on March 26.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago’s “Soca Warriors” will square off with Jamaica’s “Reggae Boyz” in a friendly international fixture at the National Stadium in Kingston on March 26.
The match was agreed upon by both the Trinidad and Tobago and the Jamaica Football Federation on the weekend with a view to both teams using it as part of preparations for the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.
It will be the first meeting of the two teams in almost three years with Jamaica coming away 2-1 winners in a Digicel Cup encounter in February, 2005. There will also be a return fixture at a date to be determined.
March 26  will also see the second leg of the first round of World Cup qualifiers taking place but with both T&T and Jamaica having a first round bye, they will use the opportunity to tune up for their second round ties scheduled for June, 2008.
Both teams are expected to field teams inclusive of their overseas-based professionals. T&T is expected to have more of its overseas-based pros, who have not played for the country since October 2006, back in its team for the Ash Wednesday February 6 friendly against Guadeloupe at the Queen’s Park Oval, Port of Spain.
The return game against the “Reggae Boyz” will see former TTFF Technical director and Senior team head coach Rene Simoes returning to Trinidad for the first time since he left the post back in 2002. Simoes was this month re-hired as Jamaica’s technical director and will officially begin his duties on January 5.
The game, which was organized through the efforts of TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner, should be an interesting match up according to TTFF President Oliver Camps.
“The game comes at an ideal time as both countries will be in the process of getting prepared for the start of their 2010 World Cup qualifying campaigns. We always have a good rivalry with Jamaica and I expect that we will have a team inclusive of our best players to put on a good showing on the day,” Camps told TTFF Media on Sunday.
Jamaica’s Football Federation President Horace Burrell also relayed to the media in Jamaica on Sunday that he was anticipating the affair as it would serve well in his country’s build up programme for the 2010 campaign.
Simoes, who wore the 'Jesus Saves' insignia on the back of his shirt as he guided the Reggae Boyz's on the Road to France campaign in 1998, only once had the chance to face Jamaica as head coach of T&T, in a 2-1 loss in the closing stages of the 2002 World Cup qualfiers. Prior to that he was in charge of Jamaica at a 0-0 draw versus T&T in a friendly shortly after Jamaica’s qualification for the 1998 Finals. Both games were played at the Queen’s Park Oval.
In the preliminary phase of the World Cup qualifiers, T&T has to get past the winner of the first round tie between Bermuda and Cayman Islands which will be played on February 6 and March 26.
Those winners will clash with T&T in a second round home and away tie on June 14/15 and  June 21/22. Once through to the semi-final stage, T&T’s campaign will then continue on August 20 where its possible opponents could be the United States, Cuba and Guatemala. Jamaica meantime, await the winners of the Bahamas/British Virgin Islands before facing a potential semi-final group with Canada, Honduras and Mexico.

View highlights of T&T's 2001 WCQ vs Jamaica

Part 1
Part 2
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:47:22 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica to host T&T in friendly on March 26.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:09:33 AM »
Jamaica have a football team   ???

Look we whole 2010 budget gone in Shin pads
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:37:18 AM »

He heh. You acting kinda bummy there big Magic. Get some extra gloves for your goalie too...he will need it to keep out the shots that will be coming at him from our midfielders and front-men.  ;D

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:45:24 AM »
our??  our??  RF....how much Britz allyuh brigning ???

leh we make an online bet now...Jamaica not going SA 2010

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:52:43 AM »
our??  our??  RF....how much Britz allyuh brigning ???

leh we make an online bet now...Jamaica not going SA 2010

It all depends on how you define "Britz". last 2 games Jamal Campbell-rice was the only UK-born players in the squad. King will be added for the upcoming games....and Nosworthy too if he recovers. Does Cox and Birchall still call themselve Trinis these days? What about boucaud and the rest?

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:01:26 AM »
Come on Reggaefargot, Cox, didn't even play a single game in our world cup. And he hardly played in our build up also, he wasn't the same Cox of 2001 when he was bussing his style to play for T&T, he joined T&T when his career was going down hill, we didn't even need him to be honest. In anyway he has retired now. Birchall is the only foreign born player we have on the team once the blacklist is over that is and according to our fearless leader Oliver "TuTu" Camps its over but his word is good as salt.

I await the naming of the Reggae Toyz team, remember, Rene Simoes is back and he loves foreign born players.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:06:16 AM by Flex »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:39 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:CLASSIC :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »
question in that 2001 game did trinidad and tobago really control all the play?? i did not see it but just asking??
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
question in that 2001 game did trinidad and tobago really control all the play?? i did not see it but just asking??

from the highlights it certainly look like we had the lion's share of the chances. starting slow is what cost us again, although that was a boss goal from marshall.

Ah wonder where Fuentes was hiding all this footage all this time ?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
Come on Reggaefargot, Cox, didn't even play a single game in our world cup. And he hardly played in our build up also, he wasn't the same Cox of 2001 when he was bussing his style to play for T&T, he joined T&T when his career was going down hill, we didn't even need him to be honest. In anyway he has retired now. Birchall is the only foreign born player we have on the team once the blacklist is over that is and according to our fearless leader Oliver "TuTu" Camps its over but his word is good as salt.

I await the naming of the Reggae Toyz team, remember, Rene Simoes is back and he loves foreign born players.

You will be facing the same squad that played El Slavador and Guatemala, with the exception of Marlon King, who will make his return after serving the ban placed on him by the previous JFF admins.

Are you scared of the Jamaica's British based players or what?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »

watch dem highlights... dis is the first time i seeing that game... this corroborates the reports back den... jeezan

plus the 2-1 that we lorse in the oval that i see live and direct... we shoulda have 6 points here... that 2001 squad was really a powerhouse at least on paper!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 12:40:05 PM »

With and without our foreign-based Reggae Boyz Jamaica will continue to beat T&T in World Cup qualifiers. And the reason as with a lot of teams do to defend a goal is to let the other team come all out at them for the equalising goal while they hope to counter-attack and add more goals. Look at what happened in the return leg in T&T when the score was tied. ;D
T&T can send their Soca Warriors to The Office for the temp job and leave with a big cheque. A 3-0 cheque, that is. Courtsey of the Reggae Boyz ;D 
jjbrown

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »
With and without our foreign-based Reggae Boyz Jamaica will continue to beat T&T in World Cup qualifiers. And the reason as with a lot of teams do to defend a goal is to let the other team come all out at them for the equalising goal while they hope to counter-attack and add more goals. Look at what happened in the return leg in T&T when the score was tied. ;D
T&T can send their Soca Warriors to The Office for the temp job and leave with a big cheque. A 3-0 cheque, that is. Courtsey of the Reggae Boyz ;D 

Nobody cyar say yuh not patriotic and not the least bit optimistic
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »

same prediction he made with the under 17 doh worry he will be blaming boxhill come september
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »

watch dem highlights... dis is the first time i seeing that game... this corroborates the reports back den... jeezan

plus the 2-1 that we lorse in the oval that i see live and direct... we shoulda have 6 points here... that 2001 squad was really a powerhouse at least on paper!!

Jamaica went into that game with a very defensive strategy. Dwight Yorke was coming off a hat-trick vs arsenal the saturday before the game, Jamaica also threw then 19 year old keepr into the goaol after both our first and second string goalies were faced to miss the game through suspension and injury respectively. the strategy was to protect the goallie, and break on the counter attack where neccesary. Strategy worked very well. That goal scored by Marshall was a thing of beauty from my persepctive in the Grand stand. Hislop didnt see the ball until it rebounede out of his net.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 02:02:24 PM by Reggaefan »

leroy

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 02:33:11 PM »
T&T in Jamaica this is a must see.Lets hope the rival can create some profit for both federation.Letz hope the game will be live in N America,Jamaica and Trinbago.Lets hope both teams field there World Cup Squads and Bragging rights becomes a previlidge.
BACUUM!!!! GOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!  JAMAICA !!!!!!!!!!! BY A ONE GOAL MARGIN.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 02:50:04 PM »
T&T in Jamaica this is a must see.Lets hope the rival can create some profit for both federation.Letz hope the game will be live in N America,Jamaica and Trinbago.Lets hope both teams field there World Cup Squads and Bragging rights becomes a previlidge.
BACUUM!!!! GOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!  JAMAICA !!!!!!!!!!! BY A ONE GOAL MARGIN.

All games played by Jamaica from this point on will include all the players plying their trade in Europe and North America. And yes, the T&T Federation will be paid an appearance fee of at least US$70,000 (thats what the JFF paid El Salavador and Guatemala respectively). And yes, game will be shown on FSC (North America and the Caribbean through Sportsmax)

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »

well what do you expect if u put 8 men behind the ball, tt defended poorly against the counter but now we too are better on defense, it wont be a walk in the park but expect ja to lose... this is not the same team ja has played in the past....

God is de BOSS...

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
Jamaica going nowhere

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 03:23:44 PM »

well what do you expect if u put 8 men behind the ball, tt defended poorly against the counter but now we too are better on defense, it wont be a walk in the park but expect ja to lose... this is not the same team ja has played in the past....

God is de BOSS...
who is them defenders yuh talking bout they cox awrance and dog retire and sacho eh really  have a club yet .... 

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 04:01:10 PM »
I'm going to JA with my new Soca Warriors Jersey.
TnT Patriot

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »

God is de BOSS...
who is them defenders yuh talking bout they cox awrance and dog retire and sacho eh really  have a club yet .... 

Dog is not retired.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline trinsolutions

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 04:47:33 PM »
i think we r fully experience now. lets wait and see

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 05:35:38 PM »
I'm going to JA with my new Soca Warriors Jersey.

you got 1?

i cant wait to get mines

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »

same prediction he made with the under 17 doh worry he will be blaming boxhill come september
Am I hearing a silent prayer of hope for the return of Boxhill somewhere in that statement. :angel:
jjbrown

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
That JA squad is not ready for the top quality Trini squad..with men like Jones, Roberts, Edwards, Stern "buss de net" John, Scotland, DOG, Ince....If T&T get their full squad JA will be on their knees all game

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 07:34:10 PM »

God is de BOSS...
Who told you dog retired, when i read an article not to long ago where marvin dog said he was looking forward to playing for T&T and is working harder at his fittness.                                                positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »

Nobody cyar say yuh not patriotic and not the least bit optimistic
My username alone says it all. ;D
jjbrown

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 07:57:36 PM »

God is de BOSS...
You're right. It not the same Reggae Boyz team that T&T has not beaten in oohhh so many years. And that winning streak will continue for the Boyz on March 26, 2008. :chilling:
jjbrown

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »

God is de BOSS...
You're right. It not the same Reggae Boyz team that T&T has not beaten in oohhh so many years. And that winning streak will continue for the Boyz on March 26, 2008. :chilling:

T&T doh have to beat Jamaica, we move past that, we want World Cup class teams to test us.

Jamaica have tuh learn to beat st vincent and panama at home first!

Boy yuh really cyar feed corbeaux sponge cake nah!

1]; } ?>