April 25, 2024, 08:20:44 AM

Author Topic: Super Clásico • Barcelona vs Real Madrid Thread •  (Read 124105 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Real Madrid v Barcelona (27-Apr-2011) Thread.
« Reply #660 on: April 28, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »
I find it amusingly ironic that is so much manu fans on here complainin' 'bout "diving" and complainin' so loud.  I arkse allyuh before to explain how come it is that when metronaldo was divin' all over de place fuh manu and winning penalty upon penalty and game after game and trophy upon trophy that manu fans wasn't hating diving so much as now.  Nobody used to say a peep....they uses to go on about "gamesmanship" and how great ronaldo is/was and 'bout "mighty mighty manu"......now that the prospect of their beloved manu side (and their kung fu panda defenders like vidic, rio and God forbid if fergie have to give johnny evans a runout ) facing a Barca side in Wembly next month becomes more imminent, the focus must be about that Barca have a side full of divers. Loud Facking Steups! Like allyuh tryin' and take a page outta Jose book.  As DeSoWa said, BOTH teams had players trowin' dey self on de grong.  Wild-man Pepe got just what he deserved and fuh those of you talkin' 'bout the contact being minimal, ah want to see allyuh kick at a ball like Alves did and follow through into the same kinda studs-up kick and come back and tell meh how it feel.....and comparing it to paul scholes' tackle makes no sense because the referee today wasn't thinkin' 'bout paul scholes and no FA Cup.  And for those that want to talk about the Barca players surrounding the referee on Pepe's foul, just rewind allyuh dvr and look see how the Real coaching staff was harrassing the 4th official for practically EVERY call.  I swear to God, at first I thought them men in them white adidas track suits was UEFA officials castigating one of their peers!
      Barca came to play, Real Madrid came to disrupt play.  Plain and simple.  diarra and adebayor alone was about 4 or 5 yellow cards that the referee never gave out and I see no argument with the one sergio ramos received.  Jose is trying to discredit Barcelona and Pep Guardiola by making their achievements be about officiating......Bullshit!  What jose failed to mention in his post-match tirade is that his Inter side had some generous officiating to help them along the way to last year's Trophy, too.  The offside goal against Roma? (methinks) and barcelona's disallowed goal are the first that come to mind.  The only thing he hasn't done is accuse the ref of consorting with the Barca coaching staff at the half.   
    Messi's second goal was sheer brilliance intertwined with basic, fundamental football.  There was absolutely nothing that Casillas could have done to stop that goal.  Messi is just rediculous!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #661 on: April 28, 2011, 06:06:18 AM »
I didn’t see the game but from all reports both teams made it difficult for the ref similar to the WC final and the Holland-Portugal game in 2006. If I read it wrong and barcelona were sole offenders than please correct me.

I think once teams are responsible for a game degenerating to this level they are taking a risk because once the ref confirms that making calls, talking and giving yellows not working he has to resort to a red.

At that point it is a lottery as to which player, which team and which foul would be used to make an example. Usually it is not the team perceived as being the better footballers because bigger, better, more successful teams are always more likely to get calls in their favour.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #662 on: April 28, 2011, 06:17:08 AM »
I find it amusingly ironic that is so much manu fans on here complainin' 'bout "diving" and complainin' so loud.  I arkse allyuh before to explain how come it is that when metronaldo was divin' all over de place fuh manu and winning penalty upon penalty and game after game and trophy upon trophy that manu fans wasn't hating diving so much as now. 

Just to be clear are you saying that United win their trophies because of Ronaldo diving?

Also if you making some equivalence between the teams are you saying that United has right backs, centre back and defensive midfielders fall all over the field or just attacking players? If you using Ronaldo diving as a representation of the whole team then you could criticize the whole Chelsea team for Drogba’s flops and play-acting in the not so long ago good old days.

I would be surprised if you could name a United game that had this much rancour and play acting. In fact United play Chelsea in a CL final and just had two legs against them last month without any of the systematic ref-baiting described in this game. It was nothing like this so clearly it is not as ingrained in the whole team has you are making out

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 28, 2011, 06:40:46 AM »
cyah believe men boasting bout barca being the best in the world when they get 2 blighs to reach the finals.  :-\

Hard luck Arsenal and Real. Allyuh get beaten by Uefa not Barca.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

giggsy11

« Reply #664 on: April 28, 2011, 06:45:15 AM »
its sad how Peeps could comment on the cars passing around the savannah during a Beyonce performance !! Come on folks ...the real bacon is that barcelona with Leo messi is giving slice bread a good run ! How we manage to comment on all the sideshows and miss the main event is really amazing ...

Come on folks admit it ...barcelona plays football like no other team . They dictate the game regardless of the opposition. Even in defeat they have more possession ..... Barcelona has changed football as we knew it ...even Stoke City is trying to pass the ball now !!
lets hope that we see  the soca warriors doing the same thing ..

Folks know I am a yellow submarine fan in Spanish football  but Barcelona at the moment is killing every team in world football.
Now I will say again ..without Messi some may have a chance ...but once he is up for it ...we are all dead as supporters of other teams.
Give Barsa their pips ...they are a joy to watch ...win lose or draw ....I can hardly sit through some of the other spanish team games and but for a few, I have given up on the english ones ....but with Barsa you want to see what next.

They will soon be the Mohammed Ali of football with a following in support and a following wanting to be there when they do lose .
Just enjoy it folks while it lasts ..even Mohammed Ali could not go on forever.

Dude pleeze! I think Barca has turned off a few fans and not gained many with their continuous playing acting in an effort to get a player carded or sent off, as well as acting like they should not be tackled by the opponent.  Oh yeah they didn't invent football or perfected it; Jesus does not weep when they play!

The diving was evident by both teams...so why just pick on the Barca players...plus you could see that they were the only team pushing to play the game and look for a goal, even before the red card.

I hate to see the play acting and that should stop, but doh say it was only the barca players were doing it!

Big Up!

Barca did the same thing against Inter last year. It appears there are times they go into games with the intent to get players carded or sent off and it takes away from the quality of foootball we know they are capable of playing. They didn't do that shit in the cup final or the previous match when they won 5nil but it appears that is their MO when they realize that a team is going to be aggressive with them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:42:16 AM by Giggsy11 »

giggsy11

« Reply #665 on: April 28, 2011, 06:52:36 AM »
I find it amusingly ironic that is so much manu fans on here complainin' 'bout "diving" and complainin' so loud.  I arkse allyuh before to explain how come it is that when metronaldo was divin' all over de place fuh manu and winning penalty upon penalty and game after game and trophy upon trophy that manu fans wasn't hating diving so much as now.  Nobody used to say a peep....they uses to go on about "gamesmanship" and how great ronaldo is/was and 'bout "mighty mighty manu"......now that the prospect of their beloved manu side (and their kung fu panda defenders like vidic, rio and God forbid if fergie have to give johnny evans a runout ) facing a Barca side in Wembly next month becomes more imminent, the focus must be about that Barca have a side full of divers. Loud Facking Steups! Like allyuh tryin' and take a page outta Jose book.  As DeSoWa said, BOTH teams had players trowin' dey self on de grong.  Wild-man Pepe got just what he deserved and fuh those of you talkin' 'bout the contact being minimal, ah want to see allyuh kick at a ball like Alves did and follow through into the same kinda studs-up kick and come back and tell meh how it feel.....and comparing it to paul scholes' tackle makes no sense because the referee today wasn't thinkin' 'bout paul scholes and no FA Cup.  And for those that want to talk about the Barca players surrounding the referee on Pepe's foul, just rewind allyuh dvr and look see how the Real coaching staff was harrassing the 4th official for practically EVERY call.  I swear to God, at first I thought them men in them white adidas track suits was UEFA officials castigating one of their peers!
      Barca came to play, Real Madrid came to disrupt play.  Plain and simple.  diarra and adebayor alone was about 4 or 5 yellow cards that the referee never gave out and I see no argument with the one sergio ramos received.  Jose is trying to discredit Barcelona and Pep Guardiola by making their achievements be about officiating......Bullshit!  What jose failed to mention in his post-match tirade is that his Inter side had some generous officiating to help them along the way to last year's Trophy, too.  The offside goal against Roma? (methinks) and barcelona's disallowed goal are the first that come to mind.  The only thing he hasn't done is accuse the ref of consorting with the Barca coaching staff at the half.   
    Messi's second goal was sheer brilliance intertwined with basic, fundamental football.  There was absolutely nothing that Casillas could have done to stop that goal.  Messi is just rediculous!

Chow you are my guy, but I will always say and believe that you lack zero objectivity when it comes to anything related to United. So as always I take your words when it comes to United with a grain of salt because of your admitted hatred for all things United.  :beermug:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #666 on: April 28, 2011, 06:57:59 AM »
Barca did the same thing against Inter last year. It appears there are times they go into games with the intent to get players carded or sent off and it takes away from the quality of foootball we know they are capable of playing. They didn't do that shit in the cup final or the previous match when they won 5nil but it appears that is their MO when they realize that a team is not going to be aggressive with them.

Several Spanish commentators, including Balague, have said that this is a calculated tactic by Barcelona. Players take turns harangueing the ref. They do it early in games to set the tone because they know refs will be lenient at the beginning of matches and they take turns so that no one player gets targeted by the ref for being a nuisance.

Now in, defence of Barcelona they probaly use this as a defence mechanism knowing that they are facing teams who plan to kick them and they are trying to level the playing field by getting the refs onside early.

I should be clear that I not trying to take a dig at Barcelona. I don’t mind that they beat Madrid even though I believe they would make a tougher final opponent for United or Schalke.

I was also happy when Iniesta buss Chelsea net even though Chelsea in 2009 woulda been much more beatable than Barcelona so in both cases I back Barcelona despite the fact that it was not in United’s best interest.

giggsy11

« Reply #667 on: April 28, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »
Barca did the same thing against Inter last year. It appears there are times they go into games with the intent to get players carded or sent off and it takes away from the quality of foootball we know they are capable of playing. They didn't do that shit in the cup final or the previous match when they won 5nil but it appears that is their MO when they realize that a team is not going to be aggressive with them.

Several Spanish commentators, including Balague, have said that this is a calculated tactic by Barcelona. Players take turns harangueing the ref. They do it early in games to set the tone because they know refs will be lenient at the beginning of matches and they take turns so that no one player gets targeted by the ref for being a nuisance.

Now in, defence of Barcelona they probaly use this as a defence mechanism knowing that they are facing teams who plan to kick them and they are trying to level the playing field by getting the refs onside early.

I should be clear that I not trying to take a dig at Barcelona. I don’t mind that they beat Madrid even though I believe they would make a tougher final opponent for United or Schalke.

I was also happy when Iniesta buss Chelsea net even though Chelsea in 2009 woulda been much more beatable than Barcelona so in both cases I back Barcelona despite the fact that it was not in United’s best interest.

Barca has played some nice ball over the years and I actually use to like them, but they have done things to take away from that. The turning on the sprinklers after Inter beat them, running Etto out of town and the blatant playing acting/embelleshing. It doesn't get any worse when you see Puyol doing it. When they stick to playing football it is very enjoyable to watch and Messi is just special. 

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 28, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »
I knew this clasico wouldve been a tense affair but at times this whole game was descending into farce.

I felt the Pepe straight red card was harsh, it looked like a yellow card tackle to me and the Barca players swarming and haranguing the ref for the card is not a good look on football. But at the same time, I believe yuh make yuh own luck and only one team came out with the intent to play football yesterday.

I understand that yuh can't outball Barca, and the best tactic is to stifle them in midfield and hit them on the break. But when yuh on yuh home field in the first leg taking momentum into a fixture, i expect at the very minimum a team should show some measure of attacking impetus; this didnt happen from Real.

I eh like Jose conduct after the game but as always is just the same calculated ploy running like a script. He could circle de wagon now and say the refs thiefing for Barca etc etc and give his players the "us against the world" mantra. What this does is put the refs for the return leg on eggshells when they want to call anything against Real. Any little advantage counts but the act getting a lil old now.

But at the same time Jose have a point though. We have to admit that Barca get some preferential officiating over the last few years in the CL. From this Pepe red card to the one on Van Persie.. Then Busquets faking and getting Motta sent off, and then the CL semifinal game where Drogba get drag down in the PK box 3 times and Pique hands the ball in the PK box. As of  now, I undecided whether this is a consequence of them being on the receiving end of more physical abuse because of the brand they play owing to a higher incidence of cars, whether is mere coincidence, or whether is really some larger agenda on the part of UEFA (and doh get tie up UEFA does have dey agenda and know how to execute it).

Regardless, yuh can't ignore that they had more than their fair share of luck with referees.

PS: Messi is a living legend, I will be talking to my grandkids about him when that time come.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 28, 2011, 07:36:26 AM »
Jose is just taking the pressure off his players as he's done time and again...and also he is taking the focus off of his own shortcomings as he does time and again.  He never puts his hand up and just says "I got it wrong. They were just better" It was the same when he was at Chelsea. Mind games and media folly...

When Rijkaard's Barcelona played him off the park on his own home turf, he referenced the season before when they beat Barca, instead of just congratulating his rivals...  Even when Barca played football from the heavens and hit 5 past Madrid at Camp Nou earlier this season, he talked about this being the biggest defeat in his career because his players just didn't show up.  

Hes a smart man and knows how to play all the angles.  Either shielding his players, or protecting his own ego even at the expense of his players.  Now it's about UNICEF, and UEFA, and Madrid has no shot at the final.  Best believe that Jose is going to do everything in his power to try and overturn the 2 goal deficit and he hasn't give up.  He just doesn't want to put his players under the pressure by coming out and saying it.  He's playing the "us against the world" underdog card to shield himself and his players from pressure.  He's just distracting people from the fact that Madrid played a poor game yesterday and Barca's antics and some controversial refereeing gave him the perfect alibi.  Madrid has more than enough quality in it's line up to do better...and they didn't.  

Madrid prides itself on entertaining football, and Mourinho is changing that...he is under a lot of pressure to win and he's trying to win in a way that contradicts the principles of the club...that puts him under more pressure, so when his methods fail he's going to deflect the blow.  He failed plain and simple.  By the run of play, Madrid was never in the game - before or after the red card.  Now his back is against the wall, and he wants to keep the pressure off himself and his players as they prepare to do what seems like the impossible.

I'm glad to see the public deromanticizing of Barcelona - They are a big team like any big team- The charm of no shirt sponsor...steupsss...., UNICEF, mes que un club my ass...They are a big bad wolf just like Madrid, Man U, Chelsea (these days), Milan, Inter etc... and they should be judged on the quality of their play, which at the moment is the best you will see in the game...thats all...forget the other storybook shite....They will get the calls on their day like big teams get the calls...

But all of this is just a distraction- there's a game to  be played next week and Madrid's muti-million line up needs to step up and play like one...not like a small side a in a David v. Goliath fixture.  

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:34:06 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:17 AM »
its sad how Peeps could comment on the cars passing around the savannah during a Beyonce performance !! Come on folks ...the real bacon is that barcelona with Leo messi is giving slice bread a good run ! How we manage to comment on all the sideshows and miss the main event is really amazing ...

Come on folks admit it ...barcelona plays football like no other team . They dictate the game regardless of the opposition. Even in defeat they have more possession ..... Barcelona has changed football as we knew it ...even Stoke City is trying to pass the ball now !!
lets hope that we see  the soca warriors doing the same thing ..

Folks know I am a yellow submarine fan in Spanish football  but Barcelona at the moment is killing every team in world football.
Now I will say again ..without Messi some may have a chance ...but once he is up for it ...we are all dead as supporters of other teams.
Give Barsa their pips ...they are a joy to watch ...win lose or draw ....I can hardly sit through some of the other spanish team games and but for a few, I have given up on the english ones ....but with Barsa you want to see what next.

They will soon be the Mohammed Ali of football with a following in support and a following wanting to be there when they do lose .
Just enjoy it folks while it lasts ..even Mohammed Ali could not go on forever.

Well said Jai....though I must admit in de first half de simulating made me SERIOUSLY consider no longer watchin football....Barca playing fitball de way it should be played, de beautiful game...and dey deserve to effing win!!!

Oh, Pepe tackle deserve ah effing red card, and Ramos is ah consistently nasty/dirty player, but ah sure everybody already know dat:)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #671 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
I'm glad to see the public deromanticizing of Barcelona - They are a big team like any big team- The charm of no shirt sponsor...steupsss...., UNICEF, mes que un club my ass...They are a big bad wolf just like Madrid, Man U, Chelsea (these days), Milan, Inter etc..They will get the calls on their day like big teams get the calls...But all of this is just a distraction- there's a game to  be played next week and Madrid's muti-million line up needs to steup up and play like one...not like a small side a in a David v. Goliath fixture.  

It does rankle me to hear UEFA talking about Manchester United and debt when all United's debt is not from football operations, the club has a positive balance sheet year after year.  Meanwhile everybody holding up Barcelona as the paragon of how a club should be run.

All the while Barcelona have hundreds of millions of operational debt despite the fact that they have a league structure where they do not have to share TV revenues.

Barca has played some nice ball over the years and I actually use to like them, but they have done things to take away from that. The turning on the sprinklers after Inter beat them, running Etto out of town and the blatant playing acting/embelleshing. It doesn't get any worse when you see Puyol doing it. When they stick to playing football it is very enjoyable to watch and Messi is just special. 

This where I different. There are no angels out there and I not letting the false differences stop the enjoyment of what are very talented players and teams as long as they playing good football. As a result I not making a case for demonizing these players or teams based on these small things because at the end of the day they are rare talents and they only do what the less talented players/teams doing too.

Maradona handball, Messi handball even spitting on people, Ronaldo and Drogba antics all acceptable to a degree because without them men football is a lot less fun to watch.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 28, 2011, 08:38:53 AM »
I find it amusingly ironic that is so much manu fans on here complainin' 'bout "diving" and complainin' so loud.  I arkse allyuh before to explain how come it is that when metronaldo was divin' all over de place fuh manu and winning penalty upon penalty and game after game and trophy upon trophy that manu fans wasn't hating diving so much as now. 

Just to be clear are you saying that United win their trophies because of Ronaldo diving?

Also if you making some equivalence between the teams are you saying that United has right backs, centre back and defensive midfielders fall all over the field or just attacking players? If you using Ronaldo diving as a representation of the whole team then you could criticize the whole Chelsea team for Drogba’s flops and play-acting in the not so long ago good old days.

I would be surprised if you could name a United game that had this much rancour and play acting. In fact United play Chelsea in a CL final and just had two legs against them last month without any of the systematic ref-baiting described in this game. It was nothing like this so clearly it is not as ingrained in the whole team has you are making out

agreed  :beermug:

Barca, right now, is the BLUEPRINT in football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dive and roll ? it seems so
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

giggsy11

« Reply #673 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
I'm glad to see the public deromanticizing of Barcelona - They are a big team like any big team- The charm of no shirt sponsor...steupsss...., UNICEF, mes que un club my ass...They are a big bad wolf just like Madrid, Man U, Chelsea (these days), Milan, Inter etc..They will get the calls on their day like big teams get the calls...But all of this is just a distraction- there's a game to  be played next week and Madrid's muti-million line up needs to steup up and play like one...not like a small side a in a David v. Goliath fixture.  

It does rankle me to hear UEFA talking about Manchester United and debt when all United's debt is not from football operations, the club has a positive balance sheet year after year.  Meanwhile everybody holding up Barcelona as the paragon of how a club should be run.

All the while Barcelona have hundreds of millions of operational debt despite the fact that they have a league structure where they do not have to share TV revenues.

This where I different. There are no angels out there and I not letting the false differences stop the enjoyment of what are very talented players and teams as long as they playing good football. As a result I not making a case for demonizing these players or teams based on these small things because at the end of the day they are rare talents and they only do what the less talented players/teams doing too.

Maradona handball, Messi handball even spitting on people, Ronaldo and Drogba antics all acceptable to a degree because without them men football is a lot less fun to watch.

I agree, which is why I stated that when they stick to playing football they are enjoyable to watch and Messi is special. I can appreciate Barca's quality and Messi is the best player right now. I have actually grown to appreciate Messi; previously I felt Ronaldo may have been better but I feel Messi has surpass him. I feel like Ronaldo has been at this level for the pass few years and that Messi has just gotten better in those years since Ronaldo won world player.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »
I is a man who support Barca type of football, I mean who doesn't.
But I also real like Mourinho. I couldnt give a Rats ass about Ronaldo (too arrogant) Pepe (too wild) Ramos (wild - but a very good footballer) Benzema (too overated and a knock down of Anelka) etc etc. If wasnt for Mourinho, I would not have liked them at all, even though my best players of all time wore that shirt.

But in yesterday's game Pepe cost his side big time. I watching him play for years now and I personally think he should be banned. Every single game I watch him play he plays dirty. If a man try to outmuscle him, watch and see how he reacts. A bonafide wild man with some talent who make it to the big time. If he dont sort himself out, he will have a short career.
But that tackle yesterday was absolute madness. He could have broken Alves shin in half. Anybody who say that tackle and sendiing off was controversial and harsh want a bullpistle. But I feel he also get send off because refs know what kinda player he is, plus the little smaller infractions of assness he carries about all game, plus his physical presence. That was a well deserved red card. End of story. So to hell with conspiracy theories about playing against Barca. People forgetting that Madrid plays an extremely physical game. Just watch yesterday how Marcelo was kicking man on the ground and thing. Totally uncalled for. I agree with Pique - they play on the verge of violence. No wonder they get so many dismissals. They have to learn to cool it.

Now onto Barca, I totally agree, they have some pantyman tendencies. I wont berate Alves, that was a crunching tackle. Maybe he did make a lill more of it, but most players do from time to time. But other players were sometimes too quick to go down and trying to con the ref. It seems as all of these Spanish/Latin countries have the same temperament.

At the end of the day, just like everybody else, I want to see foootball. I really dont care too much if Barca or Real win, as I am not from Madrid or Barcelona, but given the current circumstances where Man Utd is gonna be in the final, I would love to see a Barca - Man U repeat.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: April 28, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »
I is a man who support Barca type of football, I mean who doesn't.
But I also real like Mourinho. I couldnt give a Rats ass about Ronaldo (too arrogant) Pepe (too wild) Ramos (wild - but a very good footballer) Benzema (too overated and a knock down of Anelka) etc etc. If wasnt for Mourinho, I would not have liked them at all, even though my best players of all time wore that shirt.

But in yesterday's game Pepe cost his side big time. I watching him play for years now and I personally think he should be banned. Every single game I watch him play he plays dirty. If a man try to outmuscle him, watch and see how he reacts. A bonafide wild man with some talent who make it to the big time. If he dont sort himself out, he will have a short career.
But that tackle yesterday was absolute madness. He could have broken Alves shin in half. Anybody who say that tackle and sendiing off was controversial and harsh want a bullpistle.

aye Trini... read this for another persepective

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=912767&root=uefachampionsleague&cc=5901

Messi and Mourinho mask Barca shame

As a master of the art of distraction, it must have been particularly galling for Jose Mourinho that a combination of his post-match meltdown and Lionel Messi's masterpiece provided Barcelona with a very convenient diversion in the toxic aftermath of Wednesday's Clasico. It was a night that shamed all parties concerned, of course, but particularly the Catalans.

Mourinho's wild-eyed, paranoid outburst served to fill the column inches and dominate the air waves. His conspiracy theory - drawing in UEFA, Barcelona and even UNICEF, perhaps only leaving shape-shifting lizards and the Illuminati free of blame - will surely attract sanctions more severe than Wednesday's night's instruction to sit in a metal cage just metres from his own bench following his sarcastic "well done" to the fourth official. He has already attracted the attention of Barcelona's legal department.

But if we can examine the match itself in isolation, and even taking into account that wonderful slaloming run and strike from Messi, strangely this felt like a match that saw Barcelona emerge with even less credit than Real, if searching for credit on such a night is only marginally less onerous than attempting to identify flashing moments of dignity in the career of Katie Price.

Given the dramatic denouement, some aspects of this clash have been obscured or misrepresented. Firstly, Real's tactics must be addressed. While criticism of Mourinho's outrageous claims in his press conference are of course justified, condescending interpretations of his approach to the game are more problematic.

There is certainly an argument that parking the bus and fielding three defensive midfielders in Xabi Alonso, Lassana Diarra and Pepe was a betrayal of Real's rich history of attacking football, an unforgiveable act of retreat from a club that has spent hundreds of millions to collect some of the best players in the world. But what did Real expect when they hired Jose Mourinho? After all, they must have seen this before.

Strangely enough, and going against type, the Portuguese did in fact attempt to release the shackles in the away game at Camp Nou this season and was punished with a 5-0 hammering. Diarra was introduced as a substitute in November as Mourinho acknowledged his mistake, but it was too late for his side to be spared an evisceration of epic proportions. Quite simply, Mourinho could not let that happen again, and though a 1-1 home draw in the league ceded any final chance of winning the Primera Division, Real looked far more durable and applied that conservative approach again to win the Copa del Rey. Quite rightly, they did so again on Wednesday.

Criticism for failing to start a conventional striker on Wednesday night was also wide of the mark. Barcelona did not have one either, with David Villa operating in wide positions and Messi, nominally the central forward, dropping deep with regularity. Instead, Real were set up to nullify Xavi and Messi and counter-attack, and though critics cry that they ceded 77% possession at home, that is fast becoming a meaningless statistic when it comes to Barcelona. It is akin to stating that Rory Delap will launch a long throw; Barcelona will dominate possession in any game they play.

It may be unpalatable for Madrid fans to digest, but in the context of the tie and the undoubted brilliance of Barcelona, playing for a 0-0 draw at home and then hoping to snatch an away goal in Catalunya was Real's best approach. Unpalatable, yes, a possible renunciation of Real's history, yes, but it was a legitimate tactic. As Mourinho himself said: "We had the intention to keep the game at 0-0, then bring on a striker, then a third phase with a No. 10 behind three forwards. But the ref didn't allow it".

Mourinho was of course referring to the decision to dismiss Pepe. Until that point, Real's restrictive approach had ensured the match was panning out as their coach had hoped, but shorn of their defender-cum-midfield-enforcer, Real were powerless to suppress Xavi and Messi, who stamped his mark on this game in unforgettable fashion, scoring his 51st and 52nd goals of the season. At 23, he is Barcelona's third all-time leading goalscorer, a phenomenon, a marvel.

But Pepe's key dismissal feeds into the second key debate: Barcelona's behaviour. Though the Portugal international's boot was high, it certainly felt as though his dismissal had as much to do with Dani Alves' exaggerated reaction and the hounding of the referee by Barcelona players as it did the challenge itself. A yellow card would have sufficed, but Alves ensured Real, and a Mourinho team, would yet again lose a player in a match against Barcelona. His brief departure on a stretcher only added to his dramatic performance.

In this, though, Alves was far from alone. Pedro and, unsurprisingly, Sergio Busquets, were guilty of the most rank and reprehensible play-acting seen in some time. Real are far from innocent on this front of course, but seeing players of the quality and ability of the two World Cup winners indulge in the dark arts was painful. Perhaps it is the knowledge that Barcelona do not need to stoop to such depths that made it hurt so much; their ability alone is enough to ensure their superiority, and certainly over two legs.

Either way it was an unedifying spectacle, particularly from a club that prides itself on doing things the right way. More than a club? Pedro, Alves and Busquets seemed intent on convincing the referee that Madrid's challenges were more than a tackle, more than an assault even.

Real were guilty to a lesser degree, but it was Barcelona who surrendered their hard-won moral high ground with their histrionics. We can expect some devilish behaviour from Real Madrid, managed by Mourinho and containing Pepe, but it is becoming an ever more evident part of Barca's approach as well. If Real were said to have abandoned their principles by adopting an oppressive yet legitimate defensive strategy, then what of Barcelona and their behaviour?

Few would cite Emmanuel Adebayor as a paragon of virtue or the yardstick by which modern footballers should be judged, but his post-match comments, while exaggerated, still ring true.

"Whenever you play against Barca, whenever you touch them they are on the floor crying like a baby," he said. "Everyone talks about Barcelona and their fair play but I think they are very far away from fair play. Whenever you make contact when going for a one-on-one or 50-50 ball they are on the floor crying, putting their hand up near their face. Their manager, fans and the players on the bench are always crying. Barcelona is a fantastic club, has fantastic players, but they have to stop that."

On Thursday morning, Barcelona's carefully crafted, shiny image looks a little duller than usual.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #676 on: April 28, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
I agree, which is why I stated that when they stick to playing football they are enjoyable to watch and Messi is special. I can appreciate Barca's quality and Messi is the best player right now. I have actually grown to appreciate Messi; previously I felt Ronaldo may have been better but I feel Messi has surpass him. I feel like Ronaldo has been at this level for the pass few years and that Messi has just gotten better in those years since Ronaldo won world player.

I appreciate them both and never get into that one great and "the next one not good at all" comparison. I think as football fans we blessed to see two talents at such a high level, at such a young age, playing at the same time, in such a professional manner. Ronaldo's scoring exploits in Spain are phenomenal and record-breaking for Madrid. And then yuh Messi blowing even that away with an even better scoring record, plus assists. My only regret is that I don't have time to watch football these days because what these guys doing is very rare.

giggsy11

« Reply #677 on: April 28, 2011, 09:54:29 AM »

I appreciate them both and never get into that one great and "the next one not good at all" comparison. I think as football fans we blessed to see two talents at such a high level, at such a young age, playing at the same time, in such a professional manner. Ronaldo's scoring exploits in Spain are phenomenal and record-breaking for Madrid. And then yuh Messi blowing even that away with an even better scoring record, plus assists. My only regret is that I don't have time to watch football these days because what these guys doing is very rare.

:beermug: on that.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 28, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »

One thing to take into consideration is that CR has shown his brilliance in two separate leagues with difference styles of play. Its to be seen if Messi can do the same, or be the same without barca around him.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 28, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »

One thing to take into consideration is that CR has shown his brilliance in two separate leagues with difference styles of play. Its to be seen if Messi can do the same, or be the same without barca around him.

Sammy you serious? Which defender/defense in England can contain Messi?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »

Sorry i doh have no crystal ball, hence my saying it is to be seen.
i not disputing that Messi better than ronaldo, but ronaldo show his form in two leagues and bust in the WC. Messi show his form in one league and bust in WC too. So u judge.
(Muslim)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 28, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »

Messi lifts Barca's level of play, just as much if not more than Barca lifts Messi's level of play.  

The guy is unbelievable.    

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 28, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »
Football is littered with diving & acting. Barca, Real, ManU, Chelsea, the whole Italian league  ;D lets get serious. Marcello, Ronaldo, Demaria, Pepe not diving????
Real have 11 red cards this season. give me a break. ok the ref may have made a bad call on the straight red, but the tackle was high, dangerous and unnecessary (considering the part of the pitch it was made). Even Marcello could have easily got red for the deliberate stamp (68 min mark) on Pedro after the play in front of the goal.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 28, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

Take Messi out of Barca, as a matter of fact take him out of spain, and lets see if he can adapt and play at this same level. Until then he is only the best palyer in Spain. I watched him the world cup and he was nothing special to watch. I gues if he was playing with Barcelona at the WC, he would have been magnificent Messi.

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 28, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Pepe even got the ball before he hit Alves.
He shouldn't have led with his studs, if he led with the outside of his boot it wouldn't even be a foul.

On Messi in Spain vs Messi in England, "FOQ ENGLISH FOOTBALL"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
Take Messi out of Barca, as a matter of fact take him out of spain, and lets see if he can adapt and play at this same level. Until then he is only the best palyer in Spain. I watched him the world cup and he was nothing special to watch. I gues if he was playing with Barcelona at the WC, he would have been magnificent Messi.

Messi looked good in the World Cup- his team was poor and he was unlucky on a few occasions.  

And he's playing football in a competitive league for the arguably the best club team in the world, and he is largely the reason why they are the best team in the world.  Ok, the team is built around him and caters to his style of football...so what? That's the job of a good coach/manager...  How does that take away from what he does?  Who else is doing what he does?  NO ONE!! That's the bottom line.  Yuh could construct whatever hypotheticals yuh want, the fact is  that he's playing at a level that no one in the game has ever played at, and may ever play at -even at Barca, and even in Spain...simple as that. Pretty much all the experts in the game would agree that he's the best on the planet, so who is allyuh?   Allyuh could real fight down a man jed... One setta talk aimed at nothing but fight down....

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 28, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
Why Disgruntled does feel people care to see all these schupid pictures? Steups

If yuh doh want to see pics, leave thread now.

Even Jose can see it , at least he not afraid to say it

All the ManUre men in this thread who taking the moral high ground over Barca, can burn in the fiery depths of hell usually reserved for men like Hitler.

The same ManU who game after game will get a freekick in the 89th min to tie the game, and then, as if that wasn't enough, the ref will give 7 mins of magical extra time to ensure that they score.

If is one argument I eh taking from ah ManU man, is bad referee decisions. They have been on the winning side of those for years.

Fact of the matter is, Pepe's tackle was rash, high, over the ball, and had real intent. That fool is an accident waiting to happen and revving up for a card since the 1st game. If a Chelsea player had hit Rooney a similar tackle, ManU fans would've been calling for him to be hung in the town's square.

The better argument would be, why would Real play with a central defender in the middle of two defensive midfielders while Kaka, Higuain and Benzema remain on the bench at home with so much at stake?

Fulltime

Real Madrid 0-2 FC Barcelona
0-1 : Messi 76'
0-2 : Messi 87'

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XnB1GcYj4do" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XnB1GcYj4do</a>

C. Ronaldo caught in the matrix.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DFe1jUMDwp8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DFe1jUMDwp8</a>

Més que un club.

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 28, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »

What this supposed to show Disgruntled?
What this shows is Alves already moving his leg out of the way before Pepe arrives, then Pepe MAYBE POSSIBLY grazing Alves' leg on the way down.  The contact wasn't nearly what Alves made it out to be.

Also what happens at the beginning of the gif is that Pepe makes contact with the ball first.
I love Barca but eff this shit.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 11:50:35 AM by Peong »

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 28, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
it coulda hit his leg 100% or 0.1%, just look at that tackle Pepe went in dey with. If that had connected, that could be a career ending tackle.
Justified red card. Total wildness.
Dani Alves make a meal of it, but the intent of the tackle is ridiculous.
Studs up. height of tackle. Leading in sideways.
No place in the beautiful game for that shit.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 28, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »

What this supposed to show Disgruntled?
What this shows is Alves already moving his leg out of the way before Pepe arrives, then Pepe MAYBE POSSIBLY grazing Alves' leg on the way down.  The contact wasn't nearly what Alves made it out to be.

Also what happens at the beginning of the gif is that Pepe makes contact with the ball first.
I love Barca but eff this shit.

If anyone has played this game you would see that Pepe was reaching in to cut the ball and shield off Alves to retain possession, not just tackle the ball away. He wanted to win and keep the ball. Look at the manner in which his hips are twisting to keep Alves from getting to the ball. That is why his boots went up and over.It's normally a routine technique in winning the ball.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>