April 25, 2024, 05:43:38 PM

Author Topic: Super Clásico • Barcelona vs Real Madrid Thread •  (Read 124116 times)

Offline kingdavid

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Real Madrid v Barcelona (27-Apr-2011) Thread.
« Reply #720 on: April 29, 2011, 11:29:16 AM »
I agree, which is why I stated that when they stick to playing football they are enjoyable to watch and Messi is special. I can appreciate Barca's quality and Messi is the best player right now. I have actually grown to appreciate Messi; previously I felt Ronaldo may have been better but I feel Messi has surpass him. I feel like Ronaldo has been at this level for the pass few years and that Messi has just gotten better in those years since Ronaldo won world player.

I appreciate them both and never get into that one great and "the next one not good at all" comparison. I think as football fans we blessed to see two talents at such a high level, at such a young age, playing at the same time, in such a professional manner. Ronaldo's scoring exploits in Spain are phenomenal and record-breaking for Madrid. And then yuh Messi blowing even that away with an even better scoring record, plus assists. My only regret is that I don't have time to watch football these days because what these guys doing is very rare.

One thing to take into consideration is that CR has shown his brilliance in two separate leagues with difference styles of play. Its to be seen if Messi can do the same, or be the same without barca around him.

Sammy you serious? Which defender/defense in England can contain Messi?
Take Messi out of Barca, as a matter of fact take him out of spain, and lets see if he can adapt and play at this same level. Until then he is only the best palyer in Spain. I watched him the world cup and he was nothing special to watch. I gues if he was playing with Barcelona at the WC, he would have been magnificent Messi.

i couldnt agree more
He's scored 11 goals in 11 Champions League Games, in big matches too. Like you feel La liga is second division football or something.  
1 question for u

which is bigger la liga or world cup???

and no i dont feel is second division

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 29, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
King doh even go dey with these fellas, them Messi-marized   ::)
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 29, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Barcelona and Messi are God's gift to football, sorry for ruffling your feathers with accusations that UEFA blessed you abundantly.... :beermug:

giggsy11

« Reply #723 on: April 29, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »
I think it is a shame with all the talent Real paid for they still are not able to go toe to toe with Barca. Barca is Hagler and Real is Alexis Alguello or Tommy Hearns!

giggsy11

« Reply #724 on: April 30, 2011, 08:19:42 AM »
I find it amusingly ironic that is so much manu fans on here complainin' 'bout "diving" and complainin' so loud.  I arkse allyuh before to explain how come it is that when metronaldo was divin' all over de place fuh manu and winning penalty upon penalty and game after game and trophy upon trophy that manu fans wasn't hating diving so much as now.  Nobody used to say a peep....they uses to go on about "gamesmanship" and how great ronaldo is/was and 'bout "mighty mighty manu"......now that the prospect of their beloved manu side (and their kung fu panda defenders like vidic, rio and God forbid if fergie have to give johnny evans a runout ) facing a Barca side in Wembly next month becomes more imminent, the focus must be about that Barca have a side full of divers. Loud Facking Steups! Like allyuh tryin' and take a page outta Jose book.  As DeSoWa said, BOTH teams had players trowin' dey self on de grong.  Wild-man Pepe got just what he deserved and fuh those of you talkin' 'bout the contact being minimal, ah want to see allyuh kick at a ball like Alves did and follow through into the same kinda studs-up kick and come back and tell meh how it feel.....and comparing it to paul scholes' tackle makes no sense because the referee today wasn't thinkin' 'bout paul scholes and no FA Cup.  And for those that want to talk about the Barca players surrounding the referee on Pepe's foul, just rewind allyuh dvr and look see how the Real coaching staff was harrassing the 4th official for practically EVERY call.  I swear to God, at first I thought them men in them white adidas track suits was UEFA officials castigating one of their peers!
      Barca came to play, Real Madrid came to disrupt play.  Plain and simple.  diarra and adebayor alone was about 4 or 5 yellow cards that the referee never gave out and I see no argument with the one sergio ramos received.  Jose is trying to discredit Barcelona and Pep Guardiola by making their achievements be about officiating......Bullshit!  What jose failed to mention in his post-match tirade is that his Inter side had some generous officiating to help them along the way to last year's Trophy, too.  The offside goal against Roma? (methinks) and barcelona's disallowed goal are the first that come to mind.  The only thing he hasn't done is accuse the ref of consorting with the Barca coaching staff at the half.   
    Messi's second goal was sheer brilliance intertwined with basic, fundamental football.  The re was absolutely nothing that Casillas could have done to stop that goal.  Messi is just rediculous!

Chow you are my guy, but I will always say and believe that you lack zero objectivity when it comes to anything related to United. So as always I take your words when it comes to United with a grain of salt because of your admitted hatred for all things United.  :beermug:

I hate your side, yes, but pointing out that y'all fans tend to be way overly biased and lacking in objectivity doesn't then make me an inobjective observor, does it?  :beermug:

My opinion regarding your lack of objectivity pertains to you always having to use some type of United reference whenever you are trying to make a point. How about using your players at Chelski or Barca, Real or any of the other top sides in Europe, becuase they have at some point in time done similar things just in different forms. Like I stated before is like you obessess with all things United including their fans. 
By the wa United fans are allowed to comment on diving and unsportsman like behaviors when it involves our team and any other team, the same way you have, even though you have players on your teams who do it also. Complain and steups all you want! :beermug:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:27:04 AM by Giggsy11 »

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 01, 2011, 07:24:25 AM »
I find it amusingly ironic that is so much manu fans on here complainin' 'bout "diving" and complainin' so loud.  I arkse allyuh before to explain how come it is that when metronaldo was divin' all over de place fuh manu and winning penalty upon penalty and game after game and trophy upon trophy that manu fans wasn't hating diving so much as now.  Nobody used to say a peep....they uses to go on about "gamesmanship" and how great ronaldo is/was and 'bout "mighty mighty manu"......now that the prospect of their beloved manu side (and their kung fu panda defenders like vidic, rio and God forbid if fergie have to give johnny evans a runout ) facing a Barca side in Wembly next month becomes more imminent, the focus must be about that Barca have a side full of divers. Loud Facking Steups! Like allyuh tryin' and take a page outta Jose book.  As DeSoWa said, BOTH teams had players trowin' dey self on de grong.  Wild-man Pepe got just what he deserved and fuh those of you talkin' 'bout the contact being minimal, ah want to see allyuh kick at a ball like Alves did and follow through into the same kinda studs-up kick and come back and tell meh how it feel.....and comparing it to paul scholes' tackle makes no sense because the referee today wasn't thinkin' 'bout paul scholes and no FA Cup.  And for those that want to talk about the Barca players surrounding the referee on Pepe's foul, just rewind allyuh dvr and look see how the Real coaching staff was harrassing the 4th official for practically EVERY call.  I swear to God, at first I thought them men in them white adidas track suits was UEFA officials castigating one of their peers!
      Barca came to play, Real Madrid came to disrupt play.  Plain and simple.  diarra and adebayor alone was about 4 or 5 yellow cards that the referee never gave out and I see no argument with the one sergio ramos received.  Jose is trying to discredit Barcelona and Pep Guardiola by making their achievements be about officiating......Bullshit!  What jose failed to mention in his post-match tirade is that his Inter side had some generous officiating to help them along the way to last year's Trophy, too.  The offside goal against Roma? (methinks) and barcelona's disallowed goal are the first that come to mind.  The only thing he hasn't done is accuse the ref of consorting with the Barca coaching staff at the half.   
    Messi's second goal was sheer brilliance intertwined with basic, fundamental football.  The re was absolutely nothing that Casillas could have done to stop that goal.  Messi is just rediculous!

Chow you are my guy, but I will always say and believe that you lack zero objectivity when it comes to anything related to United. So as always I take your words when it comes to United with a grain of salt because of your admitted hatred for all things United.  :beermug:

I hate your side, yes, but pointing out that y'all fans tend to be way overly biased and lacking in objectivity doesn't then make me an inobjective observor, does it?  :beermug:

My opinion regarding your lack of objectivity pertains to you always having to use some type of United reference whenever you are trying to make a point. How about using your players at Chelski or Barca, Real or any of the other top sides in Europe, becuase they have at some point in time done similar things just in different forms. Like I stated before is like you obessess with all things United including their fans. 
By the wa United fans are allowed to comment on diving and unsportsman like behaviors when it involves our team and any other team, the same way you have, even though you have players on your teams who do it also. Complain and steups all you want! :beermug:

Giggsy, stop cryin' victim and relax, please.  Throughout Europe, allyuh side, by general consensus, is the one side that gets away with and has benefitted most from the most setta ting when yuh bundle up de whole diving/poor officiating/rash tackles into a package deal.  So there actually IS no better team to use as an example, especially when y'all fans seem to do the most setta cryin' when allyuh see it happening for other teams. (yuh know how dey does say "tief doh like to see a nex' man wit bag")  Come on, give me a break.  Allyuh does party loud and hard with allyuh success, well take a lil' stick wit it too, nuh.  Especially where it's warranted.  I bet if by some sick twist of fate, Chelsea come back and take de title (that I conceded so long ago) from allyuh, small mag will go on into the next three seasons how de rent boys get all kindsa decisions that help we.....and yesterday's game would be the focal point of all the criticism and We Chelsea fans cyah complain if that be the case.  We get a BIG help yesterday.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
Real Madrid release video of Busquets calling Marcelo a monkey.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFxudyTlnhE&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fFxudyTlnhE&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

If this is true, this just increases the dislike I have for this player. Only player I can't tolerate on that Barca team. He is a nasty cheat and he eh even all that good to start with.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 02, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »

According to the official site, Barça trained on the Nou Camp pitch on Monday evening ahead of their Champions League semi final second leg against Real Madrid. Iniesta and Abidal trained normally and are in the squad for the game on Tuesday.

The media witnessed the first 15 minutes of the training session. The squad formed a big circle and give two huge rounds of well deserved applause to Eric Abidal, who underwent liver surgery just 46 days ago and has now been given the medical all clear.

Bojan also trained on the pitch, but apart from the rest of the group.

The other good news was that Iniesta has recovered from the calf strain that kept him out last week and at the weekend and is included in the squad for the game. In all, 16 first team squad players have been called up, along with B team players Oier, Bartra, Thiago and Sergi Roberto , who all trained with the first team this Monday. Barça’s normal reserve keeper Pinto, is suspended for the game.

The players and back room staff went off to the Hotel W once the session was over, where they will all stay the night. There will be a final training session at the Camp Nou at noon on Tuesday.

Full squad: Valdés, Oier, Abidal, Puyol, Alves, Piqué, Mascherano, Bartra, Fontàs, Busquets, Sergi Roberto, Thiago, Iniesta, Xavi, Keita, Pedro, Messi, Afellay, Villa and Jeffren.

Més que un club.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #728 on: May 02, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFxudyTlnhE&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fFxudyTlnhE&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

If this is true, this just increases the dislike I have for this player. Only player I can't tolerate on that Barca team. He is a nasty cheat and he eh even all that good to start with.
Cowardly punk like Busquets I not sure that he saying 'mono' though. I never liked him. Yaya is twice the player he is.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:08:29 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 02, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »

What makes me think that its all Real BS is that we never heard any such claims from Marcello. Real are grasping at straws IMHO.
Yes Yaya is special, but only a foolish business man (club) would refuse the silly money being offered for players.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Busquets is a very good player - starter for Barca and Spain....cyah argue that.  He's a bit of a cry baby but on the ball he's very talented and versatile. 

I also doubt he said anything like that to Marcelo - Just doesn't seem convincing enough....especially as Observer said, Marcelo himself didn't come out and say anything.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 02, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
Busquets is a very good player - starter for Barca and Spain....cyah argue that.  He's a bit of a cry baby but on the ball he's very talented and versatile. 

I also doubt he said anything like that to Marcelo - Just doesn't seem convincing enough....especially as Observer said, Marcelo himself didn't come out and say anything.

Very good is a bit of a stretch imo.. Busquets is a good player who reads the game well but he is made to look much better by the players around him, and with the high tempo hustle Barca brand on defense, he have plenty help compared to most defensive midfielders.

For Barca he is in no way shape or form better than Yaya was. For Spain he is not better than Senna.  To put it another way, take Busquets out of Barca and I think you'll find he will be an average to above average player.

He kinda get push through to reach where he reach, and I ent so sure bout the money argument because Yaya was done getting frozen out before other clubs were coming in for him..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 02, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »

For Barca he is in no way shape or form better than Yaya was. For Spain he is not better than Senna.  To put it another way, take Busquets out of Barca and I think you'll find he will be an average to above average player.

I agree!!

Which brings me to this point, not meaning to hijack the thread. 

Javier Mascherano is the best acquisition Barca has made in a long while and is miles better than Busquets.

He may be a little quick to go to ground and pelt he blade at times, but his work rate, tackling ability and just general steel is better.

I don't think Busquets could've deputised in the middle of defense as well as Mascherano did and continues to do.

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Yaya better than him no question....more mobile and overall more influential  Yaya is also 5 years older than him possibly at the peak of his career, and one of the best (if not the best) in the World in the position... But dat eh mean Busquets eh very good. 

I eh find that much separating Mascherano and Busquets.  Again Mascherano around a good bit longer than him so he have more experience... To Me JM has a high impact style of play that makes him visually impressive... but on the ball he lacks a lil polish, and his tackles lil rash sometimes too.... whereas I find Busquets to be quite intelligent with the ball at his feet, and a better reader of the game that doh have to rely on being overly physical.

At age 22 I have to say Busquets is a very good player playing with a high level of maturity for a man who now gettin' blood (2nd full starting season?)....  Apart from looking a lil flimsy and unassuming in his style of play, what I would say is that his game doesn't really seem like it has too much upward potential.  He eh showing any kind of particular brilliance that seems ready to explode...he just doing the simple things consistently. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:15:50 PM by kicker »

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 03, 2011, 07:20:05 AM »
Real Madrid accuse Busquets of racism

Real Madrid have released video footage appearing to show Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets calling Marcelo a "monkey".

The club released footage on their in-house TV channel with Busquets captioned as shouting 'mono, mono' at Marcelo during Barca's 2-0 Champions League victory at the Bernabeu last week.

Madrid, who had earlier released a video claiming to show Pepe made no contact with Dani Alves during the red-card incident, also provided video analysis of referee Frank De Bleeckere, who will take charge of Tuesday's semi-final second leg at Barcelona.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 03, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFxudyTlnhE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fFxudyTlnhE</a>
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #736 on: May 03, 2011, 07:38:01 AM »
Giggsy, stop cryin' victim and relax, please.  Throughout Europe, allyuh side, by general consensus, is the one side that gets away with and has benefitted most from the most setta ting when yuh bundle up de whole diving/poor officiating/rash tackles into a package deal.  So there actually IS no better team to use as an example, especially when y'all fans seem to do the most setta cryin' when allyuh see it happening for other teams. (yuh know how dey does say "tief doh like to see a nex' man wit bag")  Come on, give me a break.  Allyuh does party loud and hard with allyuh success, well take a lil' stick wit it too, nuh.  Especially where it's warranted.  I bet if by some sick twist of fate, Chelsea come back and take de title (that I conceded so long ago) from allyuh, small mag will go on into the next three seasons how de rent boys get all kindsa decisions that help we.....and yesterday's game would be the focal point of all the criticism and We Chelsea fans cyah complain if that be the case.  We get a BIG help yesterday.

This consensus is still just your opinion. Why would United be getting more calls than Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Juventus or Bayern? I have said it before the way this works is every dubious call it is always reinforcament that United gets all the calls and it gets added to the lore. When somebody else gets them it is "yeah they get the call but United does get more calls so we ent go bother" and so nobody bothers to keep score.

Big clubs get more calls, big players get more calls, teams that dominate possession get more calls etc. The idea that United gets this disproportionate favouritism such that it is in a completely different category to Chelsea is a joke.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 03, 2011, 08:43:43 AM »
Pics fromt this morning:

Squad list:
Valdés, Oier
Abidal, Puyol, Alves, Piqué, Bartra, Fontàs
Mascherano, Busquets, Sergi Roberto, Thiago, Iniesta, Xavi, Keita
Pedro, Messi, Afellay, Villa y Jeffren

Most goals in the knock-out stages of the Champions League: Raul 18 - Shevchenko 18 - Messi 17
A UEFA official will make sure Mourinho doesn't communicate with his players or assistants during tonight's game. (I bet he could do it telepathically)

Players in danger of missing the final if booked:
Barcelona: none
Real Madrid: Albiol, Adebayor, Di María, C.Ronaldo

Més que un club.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 03, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

Well I must admit I like him. He convinced me at WC 2010, as many say its the biggest stage and for me he was outstanding. Read the game well, covered well, was solid against Portugal and then Paraguay and most of all he shackled Ozil and then Schneider. once I saw that from a 22 year old I had to give him his props.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 03, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Not So Clásico
The fascinating, infuriating series between Real Madrid and F.C. Barcelona.
By Brian Phillips
Posted Tuesday, May 3, 2011, at 6:58 AM ET
http://www.slate.com/id/2292798/pagenum/all/#p2

Real Madrid and F.C. Barcelona feature some of the best soccer players on earth, are the world's two richest clubs, embody drastically opposed philosophies of the game, have combined to win more than 140 trophies, and share a complex, antagonistic history that ties their rivalry inescapably to the Spanish Civil War. (Fascists kidnapped and executed Barcelona's club president in 1936; the Franco regime used Madrid as a symbol of Spanish nationalism.) Any game between these two clubs is a big deal. Four Clásicos in 18 days is, in the soccer universe, a quasar.

The clubs have now played three of these matches—the fourth, the second leg of their Champions League semi, comes on Tuesday—and so far they've been notable for two things: hysterical, operatic drama off the pitch, and brooding, bad-tempered, tedious soccer on it. On April 16, the teams drew 1-1 in a cagey game in La Liga; the goals were routine penalties plunked in by the last two world players of the year, Barcelona's Leo Messi and Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo. On April 20, Madrid beat Barcelona 1-0 in the final of the Copa del Rey—Madrid's first win over their Catalan rivals since 2008—on a header from Ronaldo during an extra-time period that, against the odds, managed to be kind of fun. A week later, in the first leg of the Champions League tie, Barcelona beat Madrid 2-0 behind two goals from Messi.

From a tactical standpoint, if you'll indulge me in a bit of faint praise, the games have been interesting. Starting with the first match, Real Madrid moved its Portuguese defender Pepe into the midfield, where he acted as a throttle on Xavi and on Barcelona's free-flowing passing game. Madrid, a haphazard squad rigged together from madly expensive superstar parts (Ronaldo, $130 million; Kaka, who's spent the series camped on the bench, $80 million), essentially conceded Barcelona's technical superiority and played a game of defensive attrition. This was very much the style favored by Real's sleek, sneering coach, Jose Mourinho, who has always preferred organization, and the possibility of frustrating his opponent, to flair. The kind way to describe Mourinho's approach is to say that Madrid held their formation and looked for a goal on the counter. The unkind way is to say that they looked like a bloodthirsty foosball table.

Either way, it worked, or it would have if Mourinho's tactics hadn't also called for an enthusiastic exploration of the line between clean, hard tackling and criminal battery. Madrid players have been sent off in four consecutive Clásicos; they've finished a man down in every match in the current series. Messi, Barcelona's tousle-headed striker, is without peer as a player, but Pepe's lumbering presence kept him just about bottled up in Wednesday's first half. Then the Portuguese defender got a red card—controversially, but as Gerard Pique pointed out later, Madrid was playing with fire—and Messi scored two goals.

Though the games have been intellectually intriguing, in every other way—emotionally, aesthetically—they've landed with a thunk. Two of the world's most beautiful teams, given an unprecedented opportunity to test each other's skill, have instead goaded the worst out of each other. Barcelona, which could play against elves and still be the finesse side, has reacted to Madrid's tough defending by diving (and writhing around, clutching their faces, thanking the academy, etc.) at the wispiest opportunity. Madrid has displayed an entirely different brand of cowardice by deciding, despite having one of the most awesome batteries of weaponry in the modern game, to power down the neutron core and play like clumsy underdogs. The matches have been tense and nasty. At one point on Wednesday, after Pepe was sent off, Messi dribbled through five Madrid defenders and skipped the ball past the goalkeeper to score. It was a breathtaking moment that felt weirdly unconnected to anything else that was happening, as if Messi were just dropping in from another plane of existence.

And in fact there is another plane in these matches, it's just that it isn't Messi's. It's the plane of hype, spin, and conspiracy-mongering—the joyful element of Madrid manager Jose Mourinho. Billowing over the entire series, like a dark cloud leased from Karl Rove, has been a cloak of lies, innuendoes, counter-lies, and counter-innuendoes, most of them released into the world by Real's manipulative coach.

Mourinho spent most of April casually needling Barcelona in the press and accusing referees of favoring Real's rival. Barcelona's Pep Guardiola is such a whiner, Mourinho vamped, that he's invented a whole new category of manager—one who complains not just about the referee's bad calls but about his good calls, too. Finally, Guardiola—usually a pretty chill dude—erupted during one of his own press conferences when the topic of Mourinho came up. "In this room"—i.e., when holding court in front of the media—"he's the f**king boss, the f**king man, the person who knows everything about the world and I don't want to compete with him at all. Off the pitch, he has already won. … On the pitch, we'll see what happens." The outburst was studied like Zapruder footage and widely declared a mind-games victory for Mourinho. He'd gotten under Pep's skin! The Barcelona players, however, gave their coach a standing ovation.

On the pitch, Barcelona won the next game 2-0; this was the Champions League semifinal, the one where Pepe was red-carded for aiming a high tackle at Dani Alves. After the sending-off, Mourinho promptly earned a red card himself for berating a sideline official. After the match, he unleashed a historically weird and paranoid rant for the media. Alluding to a secret plot to put Barcelona in the Champions League final, he declared that "it's disgusting to live in this world." When asked why such a conspiracy would favor Barcelona—after all, Madrid is just as rich and powerful—he murmured something about his rival club's sponsor. The shadowy force that advertises on Barcelona's shirts, by the way, is UNICEF.

Barcelona filed charges against Mourinho with UEFA, citing unsportsmanlike behavior. Madrid counterfiled countercharges against Barcelona, citing, presumably, the Bavarian Illuminati. UEFA sniffed and opened its own cases against the two clubs. The next day, Real Madrid's official website released a video "proving" that Pepe's red card had been unwarranted. RealMadrid.com extended the point by quoting various sporting luminaries who were disgusted by the call. It's not clear whether this marked the first time that Chad Ochocinco's Twitter feed had been entered as forensic evidence.

All this extra stuff, this cobweb of grudges and media ploys, has overshadowed the flesh-and-blood games to a degree that's hard to overstate. (The conspiracy-bewailing and countersuit-filing, remember, came shortly after Messi's great, instantly half-forgotten goal.) These Clásicos, in other words, have been emblematic of the increasingly ambient, fragmentary way in which the world consumes its favorite rivalry. The feud is waged half in headlines, so the games—endlessly recorded, endlessly talked about, endlessly replicated—never really have to end. The best players in the world are involved, but they don't usually get in the way.

That's not to say that these three games deserve to be remembered. At their best, Madrid and Barcelona are among soccer's most exciting clubs; Barcelona's passing could get a camel into heaven and Madrid's raw, careening power can be amazing to behold. It's just that everything else surrounding their rivalry has gotten blown out of all proportion to the soccer and turned it into a realm like politics, where there's always another story, no one can be trusted, and everyone is angry all the time. Of course the play suffers in that environment. The cliché about the Madrid-Barcelona rivalry is that it's about more than soccer. In the last few weeks, it's somehow managed to seem like it's about less.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 03, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
Boss read.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 03, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 03, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »
Links keep goin down.  Anybody have a good one?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 03, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
Links keep goin down.  Anybody have a good one?

Yeah, they real cracking down on links today.
This one wukkin so far..
http://www.tv6-1.tk/

Picture quality is poor, but I gorw up with B&W and rabbit ears  ;)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 03, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
Game Done... congrats  :beermug:

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 03, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »
david villa should've gotten a yellow for hitting the shot after the ref blew for offside  ;)
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 03, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
Want to hear what the haters have to say now...Barca came out to play today...no drama, no antics...just play the game :-)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 03, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
Want to hear what the haters have to say now...Barca came out to play today...no drama, no antics...just play the game :-)

Big Up!

barca real playing and woulda get props if this game was a one off, but today game is being played based on the first one.

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 03, 2011, 01:45:31 PM »
Madrid still in it lol  ;D

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 03, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »
Stupessss... backs vs forwards.... KaKa eh doing nada in this game..
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

1]; } ?>