April 29, 2024, 09:06:55 AM

Author Topic: TTFF put coach Rijsbergen on six-month suspension.  (Read 11406 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TTFF put coach Rijsbergen on six-month suspension.
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 08:17:19 PM »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2007, 12:14:04 AM »
Midknight....yuh ever see Maturana's teams play ???.....ah dont mean to use "Me Mum" as an example...but....

no seriously...never heard of him before today.

1994 WC   Columbia vs USA winner to go to the 2nd rds must be 1 of the most infamous games.

Last stopper Gomez turn the ball into his own net and Columbia lose the game. The defender was in a bar aftre the WC and got shot to death and it was blamed on the medallin cartel , you must remember this even if I dont have the facts totally correct.

Mataruna was the coach and Valderamma was supposed to light up that WC.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2007, 03:18:18 AM »
The name of the deceased player is Andres Escobar. RIP, no one deserves to die under those circumstances.

Like a few other WC mysteries associated with South American teams, it's not settled firmly what resulted in his death. For sure it involved the own goal. The man tagged with killing him is a free man today.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 04:03:21 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 03:58:27 AM »
Midknight....yuh ever see Maturana's teams play ???.....ah dont mean to use "Me Mum" as an example...but....

no seriously...never heard of him before today.

1994 WC Columbia vs USA winner to go to the 2nd rds must be 1 of the most infamous games.

Last stopper Gomez turn the ball into his own net and Columbia lose the game. The defender was in a bar aftre the WC and got shot to death and it was blamed on the medallin cartel , you must remember this even if I dont have the facts totally correct.

Mataruna was the coach and Valderamma was supposed to light up that WC.

Midknight yuh gehhin a dose ah WC history and memory lane.

Ah think ah know where de 'Gomez' comes in ... In a match prior to that versus the US, Colombia played Romania and lost ... the player assigned to mark Hagi was a player known as Barrabas Gomez (not the nickname you want to have on a football field) ... Anyhow, Gomez's inclusion in the squad was vociferously opposed in some quarters (he was 35) ... anyway, he was assigned to mark Hagi but made a mess of things .... The Colombian coaching staff received a threat saying take Gomez out of the line up and to replace him with a specificaly named player (Avila) or not Gomez would be a dead man ... He was removed from the line up ... then some days after that Escobar, the vice-captain, was shot ... the irony in Escobar's murder is that he had initially planned to stay in the US but decided to return to Colombia to apologise in person.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 04:00:54 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 06:28:11 AM »
I am totally aware of the expectations that were on Colomnbia and the resultant fall out re Escobar in 94. However back then, it was the first World Cup I actuall followed and I didn't give coaches that much credit (or maybe they were less mediatised).

I don't think I would be able to name a coach from that WC if it wasn't for Brazil and Bora with the US.

As far as leaving Me Mum off the team (good god, we don't even know if the TTFF is really in contact with the man - they very likely to print that they in contact with him same way how we was supposed to play Mexico in October and the FMF didn't know about it.) unless Maturana have a list of Trini youths in Colombia he would very quicky realise that his player pool in this place is a lot less diverse and expansive than what he would have been accustomed to in the past.

If is bye bye Birchall, I ent even want to know what he go say to the likes of bleeder....
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 06:59:57 AM »
sorry....this is my fault...i should not be talking about players like that....off a newspaper speculation about Maturana....sorry to Birchall and the forum....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2007, 07:03:20 AM »
sorry....this is my fault...i should not be talking about players like that....off a newspaper speculation about Maturana....sorry to Birchall and the forum....

oh gosh...no need to take it so BM.... I just saying I go believe it when I see him on the touchline...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 07:18:20 AM »
Maturana would not be a bad choice.. There would be the language barrier..

But please, not fleckin John Barnes.. Wha he ever do coaching-wise??

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 10:22:48 AM »
But please, not fleckin John Barnes.. Wha he ever do coaching-wise??
de man is a genuine Jackula Kisser
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 11:01:20 AM »
BM, step to de microphone ... yuh could still uncork de genie ...  speculation about Maturana whether he actually coming or not  ... dey eh have nuttin unusual about speculation on de forum ... in fact my observation is it seems to thrive on it ... buss de mark, if nuttin else we go jes leave it as your opinion nah ... :beermug:

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2007, 11:43:53 AM »
Me doh mind who dey put....put any foreigner....anybody but Corneal....He is ah goat if yuh ask me....From what I here, dem players doh even take he on. Because dey realize he aint got ah clue.  Anybody but dat inexperienced goat please.  Ah radder use de grounds man who coah Belmont Junior Sec for years...He is ah lil cus bud, but he might gather more respect.  Bvut den again, hopefully dis appointment is temporary, and will end before de preparation for the next game early next year :rotfl:

Help us Lord

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2007, 12:12:59 PM »
Is  Maturana a little predujice oh something .

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2007, 01:58:53 PM »
I eh even going to stress dis shit......like ah tell people....I going South Africa wit or witout d Soca Warriors.....all dis politriks and foolishness not gonna stop me from going to d closest ting to Trini Carnival........tank god ah was able to see meh country perform on d big stage live in my lifetime..........if dey make it again it go be a bonus

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
After digesting the info contained in this post, including the propaganda in Flex post, the conclusion must be drawn that this is a coup'de'tat' on Trinidad football.  If a big footballing country like England can come to the conclusion that ytheir very best coaches cannot coach their national team, why is it that we think we have coaches within T&T ranks that can coach the national team successfully.  Anton has get promise, but after being blown away and the U!& WC he is ne rewarded wth a senior team appointment, can someone please explain this?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »
OK....ah mean Maturana like he football one or two touch and good quick short passing....so thats why i mentioned birchall....but i guess dat could mean more than half the team....
so i really spoke too fast....but any good coach will see Birchall's qualities....sorry again
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Victor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2007, 09:47:29 AM »
Personally, I would stay Dutch; but if the TTFF are going to hire a South American coach, why would they leave Brazil and Argentina to go to Colombia?

TTFF!!! Remember that our players are not fundamentally sound, and you have to pick coaches that have the ability to address that issue.

If you watch Colombia closely and objectively you would find there is a lot of passion for the game in that country and they have talented players. But the players on their national team are not known to be fundamentally sound and their team almost never play as a unit.

Colombia would lose to both the US and Mexico 90% of the time!!!!
In case allyuh forget, the US and Mexico are the yardsticks.

IF ALLYUH DONE WITH DEM DUTCH PEOPLE GO TO ARGENTINA, GET A GOOD COACH(S) AND BUILD WE PROGRAM FROM THE GROUND UP.

The goal has to be to fix our players fundamentally and have all our teams play as a unit at all times.

JOSE PECKERMAN comes to my mind!!!!!!!!

Anyway, hire allyuh Colombian coach or make Anton Corneal the permanent coach. That is allyuh decision.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »
Victor, Pekerman ... is good and fine where he is ... Mexico. He is not the solution.

I would be among the last to reject an Argentinian-trained practitioner, but it is at this stage that we need to move beyond labels: German, Dutch, Brazilian, Argentinian etc. and really understand and come to terms with both the coaching philosophy and application of specific personalities rather than generalised notions of what someone from nation group A or B brings to the table.

Our analysis for selection has to be more sophisticated.

Thinking about some of your other observations ...  meanwhile ah go address this one for now...

IF ALLYUH DONE WITH DEM DUTCH PEOPLE GO TO ARGENTINA, GET A GOOD COACH(S) AND BUILD WE PROGRAM FROM THE GROUND UP.

No contention as such ... my views may be radical on this ... to really have a major shift in where we are as a nation we need the injection of not just one [foreign] coach but many experienced [youth] coaches bringing common goods, spread across the nation building the game from ground zero. Have these coaches working in tandem with local coaches, synchronised in whatever our consensus plan is.

So instead of investing excessive millions of dollars in one head coach, spread the wealth across a universe of coaches and move to reap the rewards in improvement in under a decade. This is not a novel model.

Let local coaches check their egos at the gate ... have a symbiotic system where there is mutual learning and adaptation ... foreign and local.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:17:11 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
But the players on their national team are not known to be fundamentally sound and their team almost never play as a unit.

Colombian footballers are not fundamentally sound??? Breds, Colombia's top footballers are usually technically gifted and fundamentally strong. The US will get they a$$ wash playing Colombia in Colombia every day of the week. Colombia has played the US 15 times and won 11 (2 on pk shootouts). More importantly, check recent results. They've played 4 times since 2000 with Colombia winning 3 and USA winning once. None of those games were played in Colombia (altho 2 were in Miami.. :devil:) and one was really a tie that Colombia won in a pk shootout. This year, Colombia tied Brazil and beat Argentina in WC qualifiers. Colombia beat Mexico in the Copa America final in 2001 and knock them out of Gold Cup 2005. Since 2000, Mexico and Colombia have met 7 times and Colombia has won 4 times with 2 ties and 1 victory for Mexico. So recent history is quite different than you think. They have beaten Mexico the last 2 times times they've played in 2005 and 2007. I kow this was not your main point, but you kill your credibillity when you back it up with this kinda nonsense.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2007, 11:24:24 AM »
Filho you went where I decided not to go ... thx eh ... I enjoyed that ;D

Things is aside from the record I don't think Victor is entirely wrong ... depending on what he means by 'fundamentally sound'.

One facet of US success the psychological and there is a view that we're all capitulating mentally to the US. (I'm not connecting this statement with the one immediately above it). Perception prevails.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2007, 11:54:14 AM »
Filho you went where I decided not to go ... thx eh ... I enjoyed that ;D

Things is aside from the record I don't think Victor is entirely wrong ... depending on what he means by 'fundamentally sound'.

One facet of US success the psychological and there is a view that we're all capitulating mentally to the US. (I'm not connecting this statement with the one immediately above it). Perception prevails.

yeah..discussing how fundamentally sound a nation's players are, especially over time is difficult, cuz people could be talking about different things. Colombia may not turn out a team with tons of technicaly gifted players, but I would argue the players in the national team are all fundamentally sound. By fundamentally sound I mean that they will perform the fundmentals/basics under the most competitive of scenarios consitently well. in any case, i understand the point Victor was trying to make, but to feel the US and Mexico would dominate Colombia is simply wrong. i have not even addressed his main point, so pardon me for that..just wanted to present some facts on an issue that is shaping his opinion

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2007, 11:56:47 AM »
Ah think yuh hit paydirt

Offline Victor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »
But the players on their national team are not known to be fundamentally sound and their team almost never play as a unit.

Colombian footballers are not fundamentally sound??? Breds, Colombia's top footballers are usually technically gifted and fundamentally strong. The US will get they a$$ wash playing Colombia in Colombia every day of the week. Colombia has played the US 15 times and won 11 (2 on pk shootouts). More importantly, check recent results. They've played 4 times since 2000 with Colombia winning 3 and USA winning once. None of those games were played in Colombia (altho 2 were in Miami.. :devil:) and one was really a tie that Colombia won in a pk shootout. This year, Colombia tied Brazil and beat Argentina in WC qualifiers. Colombia beat Mexico in the Copa America final in 2001 and knock them out of Gold Cup 2005. Since 2000, Mexico and Colombia have met 7 times and Colombia has won 4 times with 2 ties and 1 victory for Mexico. So recent history is quite different than you think. They have beaten Mexico the last 2 times times they've played in 2005 and 2007. I kow this was not your main point, but you kill your credibillity when you back it up with this kinda nonsense.

Nice post!!

Based on the stats you have cited, I guess we would be in good hands if we hire a Colombian coach and he would be quite cable of addressing all of the technical deficiencies of our players.

By the way Filho, I have never professed to be an expert nor do I try to impose my values on anyone on this forum. Personally, I would prefer to have Dutch and Argentine coaches in charge of all of our national teams. That's my opinion!!!!

Also, don't get to excited, I believe the Colombians are underachievers and the US and Mexico have better techincal players than they do. Again, my opinion.

Finally, I don't have to prove anything to you!!!!

Merry Christmas!!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2007, 01:57:16 PM »

Nice post!!

Based on the stats you have cited, I guess we would be in good hands if we hire a Colombian coach and he would be quite cable of addressing all of the technical deficiencies of our players.

By the way Filho, I have never professed to be an expert nor do I try to impose my values on anyone on this forum. Personally, I would prefer to have Dutch and Argentine coaches in charge of all of our national teams. That's my opinion!!!!

Also, don't get to excited, I believe the Colombians are underachievers and the US and Mexico have better techincal players than they do. Again, my opinion.

Finally, I don't have to prove anything to you!!!!

Merry Christmas!!

victor..what exactly are you talking about? the stats i provided solely deal with your assertion that Mexico and the US would beat Colombia 90% of the time. And that is simply wrong, which I have shown. I have no issue with your opinion and just provided a counter-opinion regarding the fundamental soundness of Colombians. But I never disputed anything else you said..far less any of the points you are making in this most recent post. In fact, I said clearly i can see where you are coming from but disagree with that one point. i don't know whether a colombian coach can be successful in T&T, but some will clearly be more successful than others. no coach can guarantee us success, regardless of nationality. but i chose not to enter that discussion. imagine..calling me excited and look at how many exclamation marks in your post. not only that, you ranting about a bunch of things i never took issue with. where do i disagree that Mexican and american football players are more fundamentally sound than Colombians? and what makes you feel I want you to prove anything to me. I can't believe some people get so touchy at the fist sight of disagreement.

and don't be such a baby as to sarcastically wish me a merry christmas. that is just immature.

look, if anything i said was out of place, accept my humblest apologies. i was simply expanding on the discussion and did not mean to say anything that would make you feel that your opinion was being attacked. tort it was just football fans talking dey talk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 08:34:47 PM by Filho »

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2007, 02:09:03 PM »
Thank god, this year is coming to an end. Drama and more drama. At least Cornell get his Christmas gift. Call Bakr and tell him we want him to have a coup with TTFF.

Shabazz could put in ah good word for we!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2007, 07:02:31 PM »
Thank god, this year is coming to an end. Drama and more drama. At least Cornell get his Christmas gift. Call Bakr and tell him we want him to have a coup with TTFF.
Shabazz could put in ah good word for we!
:rotfl: :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>