March 28, 2024, 04:25:19 PM

Author Topic: TTFF put coach Rijsbergen on six-month suspension.  (Read 11241 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFF put coach Rijsbergen on six-month suspension.
« on: December 21, 2007, 09:19:10 PM »
TTFF put coach Rijsbergen on six-month suspension.
By: Lasana Liburd (Trinidad Express)

banned!

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) will rely on local coach Anton Corneal to prepare the "Soca Warriors" for the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign after deciding to suspend its head coach, Dutchman Wim Rijsbergen, until next June.
The T&TFF did not give a reason for Rijsbergen's suspension apart from revealing that it was a decision made by their Disciplinary Committee.
However, the Express was reliably informed that the 55-year-old ex-Holland World Cup player is being punished for an altercation with T&TFF technical director and former Trinidad and Tobago standout goalkeeper Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips, who is 11 years his senior.
Rijsbergen's assistant and compatriot, Jan Van Deinsen, resigned "on medical grounds" effective December 31.
The Dutchman could not be reached for a statement on the matter, while Phillips declined comment.
Rijsbergen led the Warriors to the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup by virtue of a second place finish at the Caribbean Cup although his squad was eliminated in the first round.
In 19 matches at the helm, Trinidad and Tobago won seven outings-three times against Haiti and once each against Panama, Cuba, Martinique and St Vincent-drew on three occasions and lost nine times.
His suspension is arguably another blow to the image of the local game after the country's historic participation at the 2006 Germany World Cup.
In the 18 months that followed, the T&TFF were accused of dishonesty and taken to a sport tribunal by their own players who they referred to as "greedy mercenaries". Now the national coach, a two-time World Cup player with Holland, also stands accused of unbecoming behaviour.
Corneal, 44, became only the third T&T coach to successfully navigate the qualifying rounds for a FIFA tournament when he took the national under-17s to the 2007 Junior World Cup. Bertille St Clair took the under-20 team to the 1991 World Youth Cup while Dutchman Leo Beenhakker led the senior Warriors to the 2006 World Cup.
Corneal was assistant to Beenhakker at the 2006 tournament and stayed on as Rijsbergen's duty.
He is likely to be assisted by Michael McComie, a member of St Clair's 1991 squad, who was the 2006 Pro League "Coach of the Year" and led Joe Public-owned by T&TFF special advisor Jack Warner-to two Cup titles this term as well as second place in the Caribbean Club Championship and the Pro League. Corneal has no notable experience with a senior team-club or international-while McComie's stint as national under-23 team coach ended quickly with home defeats against Cuba and Grenada, earlier this year.
The T&TFF will decide in the coming months whether to recall Rijsbergen, who was stripped of all duties on December 4, or find a more high profiled replacement.
Rijsbergen's time in Trinidad and Tobago was a fistful of controversy from the start.
The Dutchman, a member of Beenhakker's backroom staff for the 2006 qualifiers and World Cup, first came to public attention after a fist fight with ex-national captain, David Nakhid, on the eve of a qualifier in Panama on October 2005.
Nakhid alleged that Rijsbergen attacked him and made offensive remarks regarding his Muslim faith but the Trinidadian was relieved of his duties as team scout while the T&TFF retained the Dutch contingent.
Rijsbergen succeeded Beenhakker after the World Cup but upset local club owners and players by his frequent criticisms of the Pro League while he often met questions regarding team matters from this reporter with aggressive responses.
The combative Dutchman is felt to have crossed the line when he allegedly cornered Phillips at the T&TFF headquarters in early October and ranted about his comments in an Express article, which quoted the technical director as saying the Warriors should play more international games.
Phillips, according to one witness, stood his ground and the pair briefly traded blows. It might be Rijsbergen's last fight as a Soca Warrior.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:26:39 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

d_#1Trinba

Re: Banned! TTFF put coach Rijsbergen on six-month suspension
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 10:30:23 PM »
all i know is that the player have to respect the coach...lets forgive ..

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »
Trinba, Lincoln Phillips is the TD of the TTFF

now that I have read this article, I have to ask,
what he doing having fisty cuffs wid Lincoln ???
seems like he ent easy at all
seems like Nakhid might now be vindicated :thinking:

I have a picture of Wim in the Dr Eric Williams Medical Sciences Centre ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:14:52 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:58:44 PM »
Look who is d assistant. Hey with d local duo lets keep all local doh call KJ and co from England please
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:11:18 PM »
Trinba, Lincoln Phillips is the TD of the TTFF

now that I have read this article, I have to ask,
what he doing having fisty cuffs wid Lincoln ???
seems like he ent easy at all
seems like Nakhid might now be vindicated :thinking:

Boy he and lincoln(two big men)get in an argument and fight it does happen on the road ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:47:22 PM »
Boy he and lincoln(two big men)get in an argument and fight it does happen on the road ....
I would be quicker to over look this if it was between two players, but to have the coach and the TD getting into fisty cuffs is much more serious.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 12:13:11 AM »
God ,sometimes I wonder if it was a good thing rediscovering my love for trinbago football oui .Say what I going and lime general discussion until 2014  ...wake me when its over .
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:15:59 AM by Quagmire »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 03:22:23 AM »
It have a few who would raise their eyebrows, and mention the word "propaganda" whenever I pull some thing from the past that may shine some light on the current situation. I would do no such thing this time, but I'll ask a few questions that would help some here with the real concept of "depth of analysis".

1.What was the prior Technical Department's recommendations for the post Beenhaker period?

2. What "counter proposal" did they make to the one TTFF agreed with Wim?

3. In Wim's proposal, TD Phillip's role was "contracted", this was one "bone of contention" between the "actors". Was this "still waters" that was revealed by a slight fracture at the surface? The "de facto TD vs the marginalized TD?

4. Did head coach Wim neglect the TD role Wim was supposed to fill?

5. Who is the boss of who? :devil:

it eh really funny eh, but ..... I hope you're now just that little bit more confused

I'd leave you with this anonymous quote: : "The national team coach/technical director model is a failed one because the development of youth programs will suffer. The only responsibility of the head coach of the national team should be to win international competitions on the senior level. To have the head coach also be responsible for youth development is to invite mediocrity. Furthermore, to submit the entire future of T&T football to an individual who has no international head coaching experience is neither wise nor practical. It is recommended that Wim focus his attention on preparing the senior team. "
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:24:25 AM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TTFF put coach Rijsbergen on six-month suspension.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 07:28:37 AM »
Doc, help me understand further this crazy situation by sending me a pm about what you say in your post ;)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 08:41:37 AM »
Sickening news. De "Cancer" is in a vicious malignant stage.
Somehow I feel this so called fight with Lincoln Philips is jess an exaggerated hyped up smokescreen to distract from the real motive for firing Wim. Knowing Lincoln, he eh go rock the boat and geh fired by Jackula, so he allowin' da story to prevail where he is the focal point of why Jackula fire de boy.
Talk of suspension is an attempt to soften the appearance of an agenda of improper conduct by Jackula. He has been fired!  >:(  Just say so and stop the stupidness
TTFF has no money (Jackula has the money of course) and they are in trouble with the arbitration matter tracking the money trail.
Well, If Wim is taking dat jess so, he should be free to sing now about what was really going on.

I believe that John Barnes as future coach is very possible as all of a sudden, out of nowhere, he is praising Jackula.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 08:44:24 AM »
Somehow I feel this so called fight with Lincoln Philips is jess an exaggerated hyped up smokescreen to distract from the real motive for firing Wim. Knowing Lincoln, he eh go rock the boat and geh fired by Jackula, so he allowin' da story to prevail where he is the focal point of why Jackula fire de boy. :o :o

I believe that John Barnes as future coach is very possible as all of a sudden, out of nowhere, he is praising Jackula.
Dreamer, check my post here and tell me what you think
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 09:00:27 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 09:01:56 AM »
Followıng TT football is worse than an episode of Dynasty and seriously more pull stones.

Just when you think the dust settling, is one story after another.

U could tell me who the hell want Anton Corneal at the helm after that debacle at the U-17 WC??

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 09:55:57 AM »
De man hit my boy Lincoln, he f00cking mad.... I was feeling sorry for Wim but if this is ture then to hell with he......

But why Anton !!!! that jackass real stupid and McComie worst.... !!!!!!!

You think Anton could coach a team of players who know more and more experience than de coach....  :rotfl:

Come on Jack, do better than Anton and McComie.....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »
Soca Warriors coach suspended.
T&T Newsday Reports.
[/size]

Soca Warriors coach Wim Rijsbergen has been suspended by the disciplinary committee of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation. The committee chaired by Lennox Watson, slapped a six-monthy ban on the Dutchman who allegedly picked a fight with director of football Lincoln Phillip who he accused of making adverse statements against him in the local press.
The committee which met and took their decision on December 4, indicated that the ban will run from that date until June 4 next year.
According to TTFF advisor Jack Austin Warner, a search is now on for an interim coach to fill the six-month period of Rijsbergen ‘s suspension.
He said yesterday, from immediately until a replacement is found, Anton Corneal a deputy to Rijsberger will be in charge of preparations of the Soca Warriors.
But he stated the TTFF were in contact with Colombian coach Francisco Materano and ex-England standout John Barnes to fill the breach for the six- month period.

The Soca Warriors have a friendly engagement against Guatemala on February 6 at the Queen’s Park Oval and another against the Reggae Boyz of Jamaica on March 26.
Following these two games they take on the winners of a clash between Bermuda and Cayman Islands in June to start their quest for a place in the 2010 World Cup finals.
Meanwhile, assistant Soca Warriors coach Jan van Deinsen has resigned his position. According to the TTFF, van Deinsen decided to quit because of a troublesome back problem.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
Thank god, this year is coming to an end. Drama and more drama. At least Cornell get his Christmas gift. Call Bakr and tell him we want him to have a coup with TTFF.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »
Call Bakr and tell him we want him to have a coup with TTFF.
carefull what you wish for ;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 10:41:15 AM »
Why all the uproar about Anton? Ah see Flex's post beat me to it by way of confirmation, but a) there's no threat by having Anton in that role, b) it makes perfect sense c) it was never designed to be permanent.

Anyway, NEWSDAY, how about some due diligence? Pacho's name is Francisco Maturana, not Materano.

Jack Warner: Maturana over Barnes ... dahs a no-brainer ... and yuh know it. [Well, to be precise, the article states 'and' ... ah could vibes with Maturana 'and' Barnes, buh not Barnes over Maturana]

Ah liking dis direction and hadda go check de veracity. Time for an e-mail or two or three ...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 10:45:15 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 10:45:18 AM »

Maturana  :cheers: :cheers: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »
;D
great to see you gobe happy ;D
here is some info on him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Maturana
"Francisco Maturana is considered to be one of the greatest South American coaches of all time and a legend of the Colombian game." :o
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 10:51:24 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 11:07:24 AM »
Maturana....goodbye Birchall
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
Well Mautrana or the fella who just get fired from J'ca.

But Lord, no Barnres plz.

Obviously Whım gone. He eh comng back.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 11:28:16 AM »
Well Mautrana or the fella who just get fired from J'ca.

But Lord, no Barnres plz.

Obviously Whım gone. He eh comng back.

VB

no baro down here none ah dat no bora

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 11:31:44 AM »
Soca Warriors coach suspended.
T&T Newsday Reports.
[/size]

The Soca Warriors have a friendly engagement against Guatemala on February 6 at the Queen’s Park Oval and another against the Reggae Boyz of Jamaica on March 26.

Oh gosh man

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 11:37:48 AM »
wim is and always ahss been an asshole..fcok he.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 11:46:17 AM »
Maturana....goodbye Birchall

BM, what you trying to say? That this coach would leave Me Mum off the national team setup, or that MeMum will say forget that as soon as the Dutch connection get sever ?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 12:27:38 PM »
;D
great to see you gobe happy ;D
here is some info on him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Maturana
"Francisco Maturana is considered to be one of the greatest South American coaches of all time and a legend of the Colombian game." :o

Pretty impressive resume
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 06:05:42 PM »
Midknight....yuh ever see Maturana's teams play ???.....ah dont mean to use "Me Mum" as an example...but....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 06:41:31 PM »
Where yuh going with this BM?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 06:44:36 PM »
Midknight....yuh ever see Maturana's teams play ???.....ah dont mean to use "Me Mum" as an example...but....

no seriously...never heard of him before today.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>