April 18, 2024, 06:19:04 PM

Author Topic: Roberts eyeing Jamaica clash on March 26.  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Roberts eyeing Jamaica clash on March 26.
« on: February 29, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »
Young Hislop aims to impress on Wednesday.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National team defender Makan Hislop is hoping to make an early good impression on Francisco Maturana and intends to hold steady at the back in next Wednesday’s friendly international against El Salvador at the Marvin Lee Stadium.
With an entire Digicel Cup Finals campaign under his belt, having played for the “Soca Warriors in the 2007 Finals when they finished runners up to Haiti, Hislop, now a graduate of the University of South Carolina, is settling back into the national team set-up.
“After the Digicel Cup I was missing in action for a bit but now I’m back and I want to try and keep my place in the national team and that means now I have to be on top of my game and be able to make a valuable contribution on the pitch,” Hislop told TTFF Media following Friday’s training session at the Marvin Lee Stadium.
Hislop is one of the more experienced players in the current side with only fellow defenders Aklie Edwards and Keston Williams being in the team for longer along with Kern Cupid who arrives from the United States on the weekend.
There was also some better news received in the T&T camp on Friday as midfielder Khaleem Hyland relayed he is expected back from trial in the UK on the weekend and will join the team on Monday and also be available for the March 26 encounter against Jamaica.
“I’m excited because I have been in other national teams and I’m excited about this call up because it’s close to the World Cup qualifiers,” said Hislop who now holds a bachelors degree in business.
“That was always important… having an education background so that could help me after football. Having that in my back pocket makes me feel accomplished,” added the Tobago-born player. “I think I can fit back in pretty well down here even though the weather is always a sharp change.”
About being one of the key players in defense going into Wednesday’s encounter, the former National Under 20 team captain said he wasn’t feeling pressured and expects the new faces like Silas Spann, Justin Fojo, Akeem Adams to fit in well with the likes of Edwards, experienced midfielder Aurtis Whitley and midfielder Kevon Neaves who made his debut in a 2-0 win over Iceland in 2006.
“I’m quite accustomed to it so I’m not worried. I’m confident in my ability and given enough playing time I think I can settle in well. I don’t know much about the El Salvador team but we as a team have been growing and we have a lot of talented faces and a few experienced ones involved so I’m hopeful we can produce good football,” added the 22-year-old who will be attached to United Petrotrin during his stay on local shores.
Assistant coach Anton Corneal said emphasis has been placed on getting the players fitting into the right positions for the team. “For any player coming into the team at this stage, particularly in a World Cup year, it’s always a big occasion and we hope to get the best out of them. It means too that we have some more work to do as coaches and the emphasis has been on working the players into the specific positions and letting them understand their roles.
It’s good for a lot of the young faces to get into the mix this early on and we will work towards ensuring that the team gives a good account out there,” Corneal said.
The team will continue with sessions at the Marvin Lee Stadium ahead of Wednesday’s encounter which kicks off at 7pm. The El Salvador team is scheduled to arrive in the country on Monday. They are also preparing for upcoming 2010 World Cup qualification.
New boys join the camp ahead of Wednesday's warm up.

New call up to the Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Team Justin Fojo will make his first appearance in the current training camp as Francisco Maturana continues preparations for Wednesday’s friendly international against El Salvador from 7pm at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya. Fojo is the latest addition to the team and arrived in the country on Thursday and he will be involved in the training session on Friday morning.
Also arriving already is US-based midfielder Kevon Neaves who trained on Thursday. Coming in on Monday will be Charleston Battery duo Kern Cupid and Randi Patterson, recently signed from MLS club New York Red Bulls. Fojo was spotted at a training camp conducted by the TTFF in North Carolina in 2006 and according to assistant coach Anton Corneal, he is definitely worthy of a try at this stage.
“He is one of the players we have seen make progress and we have continued to monitor players like him. We felt this was a good opportunity to have a look at him in the set up for an international game,” Corneal told TTFF Media after training on Thursday at the Marvin Lee Stadium.
“Justin was one that we saw at the camp in the U.S. some months ago and this now shows the reasoning behind staging camps like these. It means we can continue to monitor players and another one will be in the schedule this year.”
National Under 17 goalie Glenroy Samuel, with the experience of last year’s FIFA Under 17 World Championship on his side, also had his first session on Thursday working alongside regular first pick Marvin Phillip.
“Again I think it’s a great opportunity for him to even just train with the team at this stage. He’s come off a World Cup for the Under 17s and whether he plays or not next week, being here with us definitely ignites a dream for him,” Corneal added.
The same can be said for fellow Under 17 and current Under 20 team defender Akeem Adams. Tobago-born defender Daniel Cyrus did not show for training. The likes of defender Makan Hislop, a former Under 20 captain, W Connection midfielder Aurtis Whitley, Keon Daniel and Defence Force defender Keston Williams all trained. But midfielder Jason Marcano, opted out, preferring to travel with the Jabloteh club for their  preseason tour of Scotland.
Meantime, the T&T management was pleased to hear on the progress of midfielder Carlos Edwards who made a 60-minute appearance in Sunderland Reserves 1-0 win over Manchester United on Thursday.
“I felt good out there and that’s the important thing at this stage,” Edwards said after the game.
“I don't now whether it was the plan to give me just an hour, but I was just happy to get a run-out.
I've been looking forward for a long time to getting back playing again. I've had the odd setback along the way in my recovery when things weren't going right. It seemed to take a long time before I could get back in training and that was frustrating, but these things happen in football. I'm hoping that I will be involved against Chelsea this weekend – I'll certainly be knocking on the gaffer's door telling him that I'm ready to play. I'm fit now and hopefully I can play a part until the end of the season."
His agent Mike Berry was equally delighted, adding “"It was great to see him back last night and let's just hope and pray that his rehabilitation continues successfully as he is anxious to repay the club and fans' patience with more solid performances in the crucial countdown to the end of the season to help keep Sunderland in the Premiership. He is also just as anxious to be in peak condition when the World Cup qualifiers for T&T start in June and to wear the Red, White and Black again which he is always so proud to do. We have even booked him in for a weekly bush bath just in case !”
News from the 13th of March 2008

Julius out, Justin Fojo in as T&T prepare for El Salvador.
[/size]

A 14-member Trinidad and Tobago squad will resume training on Thursday at the Marvin Lee Stadium ahead of next Wednesday’s friendly international against El Salvador at the Macoya venue.
Head coach Francisco Maturana will continue work with the bunch of home-based pros which includes one of the previously invited US-based players, defender Makan Hislop who arrived in the country last month.
The other players carded to fly in on the weekend to join the team include former MLS player Randi Patterson, signed last week by American A-League club Charleston Battery, College-based striker Kevon Neaves and promising defender Kern Cupid who is a member of W Connection but now attached to Charleston Battery. Also coming in later this week will be midfielder Justin Fojo of Charleston College.
Fojo was named a Freshman All-American in 2007 and also named to the All-Southern Conference second team and the National Soccer Coaches Association of America/adidas All-South Region third team. He played alongside Tobagonian Kareem Yearwood at Charleston. Fojo also attended a training camp hosted by the TTFF in North Carolina in November 2006. The former St Mary’s College student was also one of the players selected from the 2005 edition of the Stern John Skills Award Program to attend the Birmingham City Academy.
Striker Robbie Findley turned down the invitation while Toronto FC Julius James is nursing an injury and unable to make the trip home.
The rest of the team includes W Connection goalkeeper Marvin Phillip, Defence Force defender Akile Edwards, Keston Williams, experience World Cup midfielder Aurtis Whitley, United Petrotrin’s Keon Daniel, Joe Public’s Silas Spann, Jabloteh’s Jason Marcano, Caledonia AIA’s Hayden Tinto, Under 20 team duo Akeem Adams, Jamaal Gay and new call up goalie Glenroy Samuel. Jabloteh’s Khaleem Hyland is on the roster but there is a question mark over his availability. Leston Paul is missing because of his selection for a training stint at Sunderland’s Academy of Light.
Aside from the overseas-pros mentioned in the previous release invited for the March 26 Jamaica game, there is one addition with defender Osei Telesford being added.
English agent Mike Berry explained that while defender Dennis Lawrence came through the full 90 of Swansea City’s encounter on Tuesday, he was still undergoing treatment and remains doubtful for March 26. He added that once Edwards is fit, there would be no question mark over his presence in the squad and is hoping for less conflict over such an appearance which would be his first for the country since a friendly international against Austria in November 2006.
Maturana stated: “We will begin the training with these players. We have two matches in a week which is important because it is all part of the overall preparation for qualification. You have to treat every game with the respect that it needs as it is related to your preparation for the important qualification games,” he told TTFF Media. Wednesday’s game at Macoya kicks off at 6:30pm.
News from the 09th of March 2008

No backing down.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation will not stand down as it pertains to statements by Sunderland manager Roy Keane in reference to an international call up for midfielder Carlos Edwards for this country’s upcoming friendly international against Jamaica.
Keane, in statements to the UK Press on Friday, indicated that he was not in favour of the TTFF’s invitation for the player for what is its highest profile international warm up for 2008 so far as it prepares for the 2010 World Cup qualification bid.
Edwards is currently back in full training and played a practice game on Friday and is likely to feature for the Sunderland Reserves against Manchester United next week.
"I'm surprised Carlos has been called up," said Keane. "He's played one, two games in the last seven, eight, nine months. Maybe I need to make a call to their manager. Maybe they're not aware of that.”
Keane also hinted that he may be reluctant to release Kenwyne Jones for the Jamaica game as Sunderland clashes with West Ham United two days later.
“We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. We've a tough game on Sunday– just as long as Kenwyne is available for that,” Keane added.
The Jamaica game falls on a FIFA international date and in an immediate response, TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner said that the local governing body will not back down against Sunderland nor any other club that tries to withhold players from being part of its preparations for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers.
“Maybe Keane needs to be reminded of the FIFA rules on matters like this one. Had it been an African country, of any size, he would not even have contemplated any battle of any kind,” Warner stated from Cairo, Egypt where he is on FIFA business, heading an inspection visit for that country’s hosting of the 2009 FIFA World Youth Championship.
“It tells you of the contempt a few English coaches continue to have for the countries in the Caribbean especially a country like Trinidad & Tobago. Like Keane, Trinidad & Tobago will no doubt cross the Edwards' bridge when it comes to it,” Warner further stated.
Edwards is yet to been seen in T&T colours by head coach Francisco Maturana and the Colombian is keen to have the former Luton Town star as part of his plans with qualifiers quickly approaching. Maturana will continue his policy of rotating players, particularly the overseas-based pros before settling on a stable squad. Late last month Edwards also indicated that he was eyeing the Jamaica game and was anticipating a return to the T&T team once he had recovered from the injury by then.
For the Jamaica encounter, Maturana has called up Dutch-based professional Darryl Roberts and Kenwyne Jones as the overseas-based forwards, preferring to use those two over in form strikers Stern John and Jason Scotland, both currently among the top scorers in the English Championship and League One respectively.
“There are some players we have already seen and we know what they can offer. Now we will continue to look at some of the other players. We will give some a chance as we see necessary before coming up with the best possible team. It is important that we have these players involved in some form (in the preparations) from as early as possible. The game against Jamaica is important which is why we have to also have a player like Kenwyne Jones involved,” Maturana told TTFF Media.
The other overseas-pros selected for the Jamaica encounter in Kingston include Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince and Collin Samuel. Following prior discussions, according to coach Anton Corneal, Swansea City defender Dennis Lawrence was also recalled but is unavailable as he is still nursing an injury.
The National Team will resume preparations a week prior to the friendly international against El Salvador carded for the Marvin Lee Stadium, Centre of Excellence on March 19. From the players involved in that encounter, another team, inclusive of the five mentioned overseas pros will then be named to travel to Kingston for the match against the “Reggae Boyz”.
Jamaican Football Federation President Captain Horace Burrell previously hinted that Jamaica will aim to field a strong team inclusive of its overseas pros for the meeting at the “Office”.
News from the 02nd of March 2008

Roberts eyeing Jamaica clash on March 26.

Dutch-based striker Darryl Roberts says he’s hoping to make a good impression on Francisco Maturana in Trinidad and Tobago’s friendly international away to Jamaica on March 26.
Roberts, unable to make the 0-0 draw with Guadeloupe in February, says he’s certain to make the trip to Kingston. The former Liberty player has six goals for Sparta Rotterdam in the Dutch League this season but has not enjoyed too much success from a team standpoint.
“It’s been tough but we are in there battling and it’s good for my development,” Roberts told TTFF Media.
“Right now it’s a dog fight because it’s only like four or five points separating the teams in the relegation zone and e have to get as much points as we can during this period. Getting six goals has been good but I would like to do more for the club,” Roberts added. International duty is still a priority for the former Fatima man.
“I really want to try and make a statement and show what I can do. The Digicel and Gold Cup experience was really good but now World Cup qualifiers is the real thing and I want to be part of that. I will be coming for the Jamaica game and I intend to work hard and hopefully make a good impression on the new coach. I think the game will be an important one for us even though results may not be that important at this stage. The coach will still be looking to build the best team possible so a good performance is always important. Putting on the red, white and black is something I am looking forward to doing,” he added.
Meantime, defender Avery John left Dundee this week after a short trial at the Scottish club. And defender Brent Sancho is scheduled to head back out to Scotland this coming week, likely to sign on at a club that will subsequently announce the deal.
“There is something in the making and it seems this time there will be a good outcome. I have been around some clubs the last few weeks. I just got back from Romania but the conditions were not suitable so my next option will be Scotland again,” said Sancho who was also in training with Sunderland some weeks back.
Meantime, ex-US-based College player Makan Hislop, a member of the team at the 2007 Digicel Cup, joined the T&T team in training this week and played in a scrimmage with W Connection on Wednesday with the Nationals winning 1-0 courtesy a Hughton Hector strike. The latter was invited as a late addition to the team. US-based player Randi Patterson has already indicated his willingness to come for the friendly with El Salvador at the Marvin Lee Stadium on March 19. But Robbie Findley has again turned down the invitation and is set to join the US Olympic team camp for upcoming CONCACAF final round action.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:34:40 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts eyeing T&T-Jamaica clash on march 26
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
And....what?

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:31:32 PM »
And....what?

Big Up!

and he turn it down...so we done wit he
no words needed
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »
fuh true a next zamora the only thing is  he aint as good
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »
the man aint no next zamora ... i know man woulda say that...if anything TT act like zamora towards him ...... when he was asking bout playing for them n i think he went for trials with them when they had some camp in the us and they eh really call him... now he get selected by real salt lake  n the us u-23  they callin him now ......so doh blame the man ..i glad for him n i wish him luck ....f**k the ttff

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:37:48 PM »
Glad to hear some positive news about Sancho...So Findley choose the U.S and that's it! we have enough potential not to care about a player who wont be commited to T&T
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 10:10:21 AM by Sando prince »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »
the man aint no next zamora ... i know man woulda say that...if anything TT act like zamora towards him ...... when he was asking bout playing for them n i think he went for trials with them when they had some camp in the us and they eh really call him... now he get selected by real salt lake  n the us u-23  they callin him now ......so doh blame the man ..i glad for him n i wish him luck ....f**k the ttff

Back in Aug 2006 when asked about playing for T&T he (Findley) said:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=20783.0

“Both my mom and dad were born there, so that let me get dual citizenship. When I went there and tried out, it was hard for me, because it seemed like a lot of the players that were invited already knew the coaches and were residents of Trinidad & Tobago. It was tough for me because I didn’t know anyone. I’m not too sure what’s going to happen in the future. It would be nice to get called up to play with them down the line.”
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 01:33:35 PM by E-man »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts eyeing T&T-Jamaica clash on march 26.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »
sounds like he's interested to me. Findley on de other hand.... oh well...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »
i happy for findley and i welcome randi

i also welcome julius but it lookin like he cant make it this time
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »

I read in the paper the toronto coach Mo Johnson is really impressed by Julius ,and is excited about his ability.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »

I read in the paper the toronto coach Mo Johnson is really impressed by Julius ,and is excited about his ability.

so you trust de toronto coach more than me?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »

Back in Aug 2006 when asked about playing for T&T he (Findley) said:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=20783.0

“Both my mom and dad were born there, so that let me get dual citizenship. When I went there and tried out, it was hard for me, because it seemed like a lot of the players that were invited already knew the coaches and were residents of Trinidad & Tobago. It was tough for me because I didn’t know anyone. I’m not too sure what’s going to happen in the future. It would be nice to get called up to play with them down the line.”

Not expecting to hear this from a big man who wants to be a pro footballer. This is something children will say.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
And....what?

Big Up!

and he turn it down...so we done wit he
no words needed

Doh worry.  Come next year when we on the verge of qualifying for the WC 2010, he go be trynig to change the rules so he could join the TT team because he will never make the US team, like how Zamora couldn't make England.  "Waste with he" as we used to say!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

1]; } ?>