March 28, 2024, 06:34:07 AM

Author Topic: ‘Ex-stars must help the Soca Warriors’  (Read 1786 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
‘Ex-stars must help the Soca Warriors’
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:59:06 AM »
‘Ex-stars must help the Soca Warriors’
By WALTER ALIBEY (Newsday)

Thursday, December 27 2007

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago football manager and member of the FIFA Technical Committee Richard Braithwaite is calling for Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Shaka Hislop to be involved in the country’s 2010 World Cup campaign.

His comment came following the suspension of national coach, Dutchman Wim Rijsbergen by the Trinidad and Tobago’s Football Federation (TTFF) recently.

He expressed the view that there have been too many hiccups in the national team preparations while the other CONCACAF countries have been getting their houses in order.

“First there was the issue of the so-called ’blacklisted’ players and now the national coach is suspended.

“Hopefully things will settle in the near future because the level of success in 2009 depends to a large extent on what is done in 2008,” Braithwaite said.

The ex-football administrator, now a business consultant is advocating that the players should get involved in the preparation in some way and any way possible.

And he wants this initiative to be implemented as soon as possible.

According to Braithwaite: “2008 is going to be a critical year as far as the next world Cup campaign is concerned.

There is a tendency to wait until the final round of qualification before the momentum gets going but it is important to put a solid foundation in place as early as possible.”

He stressed also that the players represent the most experienced group of players that Trinidad and Tobago has produced and they have a lot to offer when their playing days are over.

He pointed out that they made a significant contribution to the success of the last World Cup campaign and Yorke, in particular, was outstanding both as captain and player.

“Shaka is another tremendous individual who has both the playing experience and the academic background to be a major influence in local football.

He is widely respected and it would be wonderful if he is part of the national team organisation especially in guiding the younger players” Braithwaite said.

He said that while there are some exciting young prospects emerging, like Kenwyne Jones, there may be a lack of experience at the international level, and this he said is necessary in a protracted World Cup campaign.

He made it clear the solution is to get an early start so that when the competition heats up, the young player would already have some big games under his belt.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Ex-stars must help the Soca Warriors’
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »
Why is it the stakeholders seem to need an incentive to get cracking whereas the incentive is qualification itself.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 12:40:03 AM »
I am sure the likes of Latapy, Yorke, and Shaka wille be happy to contribute to the success of the SA 2010 campaign. However the author of this piece has not really indicated in what areas they can help. His comments are too broad and general to me. Also, I always think about the struggles of actually working with the administration--TTFF. It's nice to write a piece like this in the News Media, but too much has to be considered. It almost sound like the names he mentioned are neglecting their responsibility. ???
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:01:15 AM »
The article to me reeks of opportunistic bandwaggonism. Where is the comment about why an important coach for the project geh dash way jess so? The same fate would befall Yorkie, Latas anyway if the were to be coaching, as the fundamental sickness would raise its ugly head over and over. Why Alibey eh touch dat topic?  :thinking:

Huhh!yayai !!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:23:48 AM »
The article to me reeks of opportunistic bandwaggonism. Where is the comment about why an important coach for the project geh dash way jess so? The same fate would befall Yorkie, Latas anyway if the were to be coaching, as the fundamental sickness would raise its ugly head over and over. Why Alibey eh touch dat topic?  :thinking:

Huhh!yayai !!
"reeks of opportunistic bandwaggonism"
Lawd fatha that going in meh dictionary lol

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:02 AM »
I amone does cyah stand trini journalism but...wait nah...so how poor Mr. Alibey getting pong so for just reporting what Braithwaite say?

It come like man cussing Bleeder for being put to play a holding midfielder role and then not lighting up the place like Latas (yeah yeah i know i was one of them :-[)

In no part of the article has the author ventured his opinion; you could be disappointed about that, but at the end of the day, his only goal seem to be to transmit Braithwaite's comments. So he doing the 'simple things right'

Usually when you get ah interview, you doh spend yuh time dissecting what the person tell you - that is always the job of somebody else who have the necessary distance from the person - who inevitably ends up disecting your interpretation of the interview,but thaz how it go...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:23:43 AM »
Maybe Alibey should stop reporting d nonesense dem fellas does b talkin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>