April 19, 2024, 12:35:02 AM

Author Topic: A Leeding light (Shawn Beveney - Guyana International)  (Read 899 times)

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
A Leeding light (Shawn Beveney - Guyana International)
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:58:38 AM »
SHAWN Beveney could be set for a sensational switch to Yorkshire giants Leeds.The Dulwich midfielder has been in fine form since arriving at Champion Hill, scoring 20 goals in 40 matches.And Beveney, who captains Guyana, may be on the verge of sealing a dream move into the Football League.The 25-year-old has already had a trial with League Two outfit Hereford United.And he now claims that Leeds, chasing promotion from League One after a red-hot start to the campaign, are also showing interest.

Another two clubs are thought to be after the 25-year-old, so Hamlet boss Craig Edwards could face a battle to hold onto his services.
Beveney has played 40 times for his country and captained the side at U23 and senior level 20 times.As well as playing at home,he has also played professionally for North East Star in Trinidad.
Beveney said: "I always have faith in my ability and my form has been good this season.
"I have already had a trial at Hereford and so they are obviously interested in me. I'm going back there and once I have done that, I also have a trial at Leeds United.
"We will just have to see what happens. I have always believed that if Igot the chance to play in England, I would do well. And by the grace of God, I hope I will succeed."
Beveney has played both in central midfield and on the right flank for Edwards after joining under previous manager Wayne Burnett last season.
He first played for Hamlet's reserves when he was on holiday in England in 2005, after being introduced to Burnett by a friend, former Dulwich player Oliver Hunt, who is now at Tooting & Mitcham.
"When I came here to live,I came to see Wayne again and he gave me the chance to prove myself," said Beveney. "Hamlet are a great club with great facilities and the people here made me feel really comfortable.
"I have been doing the best I could for the team, and with my international experience, it seems to have been a help.
"I sometimes play on the right and sometimes up the middle.I certainly like to get forward and I have been shooting at goal a lot more this season, which is one reason why I've been scoring more goals.
"If things are not going well, Craig will switch our formation, with him sending me up front if he thinks that is best. He can also change formation if the need arises.
"It is certainly working at the moment. Football depends a lot on team spirit as well, and winning has brought a good feeling to the camp. Everyone is helping each other out and that is the perfect scenario."
Under Edwards' stewardship Hamlet have surged up the table in recent weeks.
They might have lost 3-1 to AFC Wimbledon in the London Senior Cup on Tuesday night - but tomorrow's trip to Horsham YMCA is far more important, the Hamlet manager insists.
"A few weeks ago we were in 18th and 15 points behind the leaders," he said. "Now we have the chance to be in amongst them.
"But the players have to approach the game like it is the most important one of the season - like it's a derby against Tooting - or we will drop points.
"I have tried to bring in more players who will add competition in most positions and that always helps. We have won our last three games without playing at our best.
"We are defensively solid - our back four have been magnificent, but it has been a big team effort.
"Last Saturday (in the 1-0 win over Ashford) we had a strong bench, which is always a good indication of a decent side.
"We are controlling games,but we need to start converting our possession into chances.
"If people are keen to learn, I will have that all day long. Everyone needs to pull their weight and we will continue to do well."

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0200sports/nonleague/tm_headline=a-leeding-light%26method=full%26objectid=20246721%26siteid=50100-name_page.html

1]; } ?>