April 29, 2024, 01:42:24 AM

Author Topic: Fatima college and the three corneal boys.  (Read 7104 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima college and the three corneal boys.
« on: December 30, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »
How many members are old enough to remember the three corneal boys playing for fatima college ? those were the good old days of the colleges league. murcorapo senior comp was the new comers back then, they had a pheonom on their team who happened to be a dreadlock dude that drew a lot of media attention, not just for his hair style which was a huge taboo back then, but also for his goal scoring ability, and being the first rasta to ever play in the colleges league.

he was an instant sensation, Ian moose clauzell (AKA the dread dribbler). i remember when fatiima and mucorapo met, that game drew a huge crowd that could not fit on the grounds, ppl were spilling out onto the streets, climbing on the river's banks, and even on the roof of mucorapo comp to catch the game. every body from the upper echelon of T&T society came out to support fatima and the three corneal boy, while the ppl from the behind the bridge came out in their numbers to to support mucorapo and also get a glimpse of the dread lock sensation clauzell.

but that day belong to Anton corneal and his brother Arnold (fatman) that fat pucker coulda play ball, he was the first fat dude I've ever seen that was as agile as any slim athletic person, and he had a chip that was as accurate as any big mid fielder playing today JMO, that chip used to spring Anton beating any defensive off side traps in the league, Anton used to have a field day with that subtle chip. i can't recall the name of the other brother since he was over shadowed by his two siblings. was it (arnott)? who knows. the corneal boys gain their notoriety that season together with the dread dribbler, and although they were the toast of the town, the season belonged to john D. but those were the days of some dynamite school football.                          positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fatima college and the three corneal boys.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:19:13 PM »
I just miss dem days. Ah tink it was de following year dat I started fatima.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 05:36:53 PM »
Didn't Arnold keep goal for Saints ???
Funny how one can remember things !!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 06:08:52 PM »
How many members are old enough to remember the three corneal boys playing for fatima college ? those were the good old days of the colleges league. murcorapo senior comp was the new comers back then, they had a pheonom on their team who happened to be a dreadlock dude that drew a lot of media attention, not just for his hair style which was a huge taboo back then, but also for his goal scoring ability, and being the first rasta to ever play in the colleges league.

he was an instant sensation, Ian moose clauzell (AKA the dread dribbler). i remember when fatiima and mucorapo met, that game drew a huge crowd that could not fit on the grounds, ppl were spilling out onto the streets, climbing on the river's banks, and even on the roof of mucorapo comp to catch the game. every body from the upper echelon of T&T society came out to support fatima and the three corneal boy, while the ppl from the behind the bridge came out in their numbers to to support mucorapo and also get a glimpse of the dread lock sensation clauzell.

but that day belong to Anton corneal and his brother Arnold (fatman) that fat pucker coulda play ball, he was the first fat dude I've ever seen that was as agile as any slim athletic person, and he had a chip that was as accurate as any big mid fielder playing today JMO, that chip used to spring Anton beating any defensive off side traps in the league, Anton used to have a field day with that subtle chip. i can't recall the name of the other brother since he was over shadowed by his two siblings. was it (arnott)? who knows. the corneal boys gain their notoriety that season together with the dread dribbler, and although they were the toast of the town, the season belonged to john D. but those were the days of some dynamite school football.                          positive.

Anton was the striker

ALLAN was the defender (the one with the chip u talkin about)

Arnold was a goalie

I don't believe Arnold played in that game u talkin bout against Mucurapo. 

Fatima defence was Garnet Craig & Allan Corneal in the centre of defence, Robin De Souza at right back and Christian Marquez at left back
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 06:15:40 PM »
If  Ian clauzell  ,who I never heard about before this site ,use to play with anton in school .How come anton was still playing in my days in the late 80 s . Then the dread was suppose to be in his prime ,but from the past posts ,I got the feeling he was  a late 70s player .

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 06:41:27 PM »

Arnold went to CIC in form 6.
He went there for his last two years.

The psoters on this thread might enjoy reading this.................

http://fatimaboys.homestead.com/graemerodriguez.html

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 07:47:21 PM »
If  Ian clauzell  ,who I never heard about before this site ,use to play with anton in school .How come anton was still playing in my days in the late 80 s . Then the dread was suppose to be in his prime ,but from the past posts ,I got the feeling he was  a late 70s player .

Anton was a phenom.

He was playing for Fatima 1st XI in Form 3 at 15 years old.  Maybe even Form 2 the year before...I cyah remember the exact time.

Is not because he father was Alvin Corneal.  He was just that good.

Anton wasn't playing for Fatima in the late 80's.  You gettin tie up.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »

Anton was a phenom.

He was playing for Fatima 1st XI in Form 3 at 15 years old. Maybe even Form 2 the year before...I cyah remember the exact time.

Is not because he father was Alvin Corneal. He was just that good.

Anton wasn't playing for Fatima in the late 80's. You gettin tie up.
thanks for the facts on Anton . The tie up part tieying me up doh ! ,Ok Anton played for the National Team rite ,whats years ......Cause I remember he playing in the times when Nakid was in Europe . Like Jai John say memeory is ah hell of ah thing ,but I remember he playing when his Dad was coach, when that was .
SAo ah guess ,The dread was older than anton ,and thus past his prime ,cause he shoulda be still shoulda been ready for the strike squad.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:57:04 PM by Quagmire »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 09:05:10 PM »
For sure ... Anton was already playing ball in de cold in the early 80s.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:13:36 PM »

Anton was a phenom.

He was playing for Fatima 1st XI in Form 3 at 15 years old. Maybe even Form 2 the year before...I cyah remember the exact time.

Is not because he father was Alvin Corneal. He was just that good.

Anton wasn't playing for Fatima in the late 80's. You gettin tie up.
thanks for the facts on Anton . The tie up part tieying me up doh ! ,Ok Anton played for the National Team rite ,whats years ......Cause I remember he playing in the times when Nakid was in Europe . Like Jai John say memeory is ah hell of ah thing ,but I remember he playing when his Dad was coach, when that was .
SAo ah guess ,The dread was older than anton ,and thus past his prime ,cause he shoulda be still shoulda been ready for the strike squad.

The dread was older than Anton.  But he was still young.  Besides...while it's true Moose was SPECIAL, he wasn't the best player on that Mucurapo team.

For me, the best player was Emerson Dubisson.  A midfielder from Diego.  Lawd....dah fella was tears.  He kinda went "off" after he did leff school which is a pity not just on the personal side for him, but also a BIG BIG loss for T&T football in my opinion.

Clauzel was also surrounded by amazing talent.  Eric "Ole Man" White, he brother Denzil White, Wendell "Tractor" Belgrave, Dubisson, Creese  Pressha!

John D had a squad and a half dem times too.  Peter Loobie, Garfield De Silva, meh pussonal nemesis Allan "Peru" Anderson, Castellano, Pugh, Lester Parris, Clayton Morris, and Errol Lovell in goal

Dem 3 teams.....Mucurapo, John D, and Fatima were 3 teams that represented some of the best football ever played in the Colleges League as it was then known.

WRT to Clauzel and de National team, I was always of the opinion that he didn't get a fair shake because of his rasta hairstyle.  Moose wasn't one to play heself up to the media or public and if he was gettin a fight down, he wasn't goin to fight it.  Sad for T&T football.  He was special.  But so were others.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:14:53 PM »
All i know is Anton corneal and his two brothers was playing for fatima in the late 70ies ,anton was the goal scorer with the small fro, and he had a fat brother who was a midfielder or a defender with a wicked chip ball, and so was Ian moose Clauzell, a rasta who had great foot ability that scored a lot of goals, and was alway in the news papers as a football phenom, and they played against each other in the biggest colleges league game that i ever witnessed on fatima grounds, as a matter of fact , the only bigger colleges game i saw was when sando tech played signal hill in a semifinal intercol game at the national stadium,which tech won by 10 goals.                                positive.

PS late 70ies  like in 77 /78/79.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:16:28 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 10:33:15 PM »
Palos  yuh forgot veron skinner, he was john D's ace trigger man, and also Riley who was a top player for mucorapo. i personally think Riley also would've been a nice addition to the national team if he was considered back then.                   positive.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:34:57 PM by just cool »

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 12:31:58 AM »
Palos  yuh forgot veron skinner, he was john D's ace trigger man, and also Riley who was a top player for mucorapo. i personally think Riley also would've been a nice addition to the national team if he was considered back then.                   positive.
Just a few correction-; Veron Skinner played for Trinity(78&79)...not John D. Palos has the correct information on the Corneals-: Anton striker; Alan Defender; Arnols GK. Your years are correct. Riley played for John D (79)after he left Mucorapo.Riley played on the youth national team then left for college in the US. These years were some of the finest colege league football...particlarly the Fatima vs John D. trilogy.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 05:23:18 AM »

Arnold went to CIC in form 6.
He went there for his last two years.

The psoters on this thread might enjoy reading this.................

http://fatimaboys.homestead.com/graemerodriguez.html

Good information from that link there...nice interview with Rodriguez, although he probably feeling small now, post-Germany.

:beermug:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 05:44:34 AM »
Just a few correction-; Veron Skinner played for Trinity(78&79)...not John D. Palos has the correct information on the Corneals-: Anton striker; Alan Defender; Arnols GK. Your years are correct. Riley played for John D (79)after he left Mucorapo.Riley played on the youth national team then left for college in the US. These years were some of the finest colege league football...particlarly the Fatima vs John D. trilogy.

Yuh get a lil tie up there, Peru was the John D captain in 78' 79' bro , he came from Trinity.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 06:50:51 AM »
I eh lying, it have real ole men on dis site oui.  ;D
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »

Yuh get a lil tie up there, Peru was the John D captain in 78' 79' bro , he came from Trinity.

Fishes: I'm sure I have this right because I played with Veron Skinner at Trinity in '78 then I played for John D from'79-82. Peru was our captain but he came to John D from St James Sec.not Trinity.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 11:15:42 AM »
Skinner was a BOSS!  He played for Trinity, NOT John D

If he played fuh John D...dat woulda be ADVANTAGE

I still maintain Verron Skinner to be one of the best all round footballers I had the privilege to see and play against.

If he and Nakhid were in the Strike Squad in 89, there was no way we were NOT going to Italy.

Petty politics ensured that these guys didn't play.  They were perceived as "Corneal boys" and Gally was too hard headed to see the value they would have added to the team.  Yes, Nakhid did question Gally's tactics, but Gally instead of answerin de man find he was bole and outta place to be questionin him and blank he ass.  Which is why Elliott Allen end up gettin a pick. 

Doh get meh wrong....Elliott was BAD...wicked left foot...but he didn't have the experience or ability of Nakhid.

Gally also use tall man Lawrence as he defensive midfielder when that role was PERFECT for Verron Skinner.  Verron did have a bit of a knee injury at the time but not one that would incapacitate him.  As ah say.....jes dotishness keep dem 2 fellas especially out de side and de dotishness was all on Gally.

De Strike Squad should have been

Michael Maurice
Clayton Morris
Marvin Faustin
Dexter Francis
Brian Williams
Verron Skinner
Russell Latapy
David Nakhid
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke
Philbert Jones

Dat squad woulda take we to Italy. I'm sure of it.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 12:23:39 PM »
Palos yuh sayin if Gally did select Nakhid we was goin Italy?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »

Nakhid yes.  Nakhid AND Skinner....even more so.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
always hear anton play in form 2 but never get confirmation of that-he was real good
question- didn't Brian williams play for the national team before clauzel was ripping up in colleges league?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »
Anton was the youngest person ever to play for TT at 16 (or was it 15?). That record was broken in the mid 80s by Clint Marcelle, also 15.

Most ppl dont't  know but Anton and Dexter Skeene were training with the Strike Squad for quite a while. They probably should have been on the team. However, the team was made up of mostly Def. Force and Trintoc players(they tended to snub the "College Boys.") Nothing new, Colin Rocke and Graeme Rodriguez.

One day whilst at a training camp in Puerto Rico, the fellas went shoppng dowtown. The bus end up leaving Dexter and Anton. (Actually they were just late).

Them fellas come back and buss some good cuss on everybody. They also cuss up Gally. Rumour had it, that Anton thought his father should have  been Coach. Anton let Gally know what he thought of him as a Coach.:-)  Well needless to say, these players were consequently dropped. They did however play for TT post Gally :-)

I saw Dexter play for CIC and FK, I believe he was on the national youth team with Ronnie Simmons. One of my regrets is that I never saw Corneal play.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 04:02:02 PM »
I went John D 75 -77 and I remember Anderson playing in the intercol final against either Naparima or  Pesentation College in 76 or 77 in Skinner park,we lost that final I think 2-1,my memory is maturing I think it was more Presentation

Do you recall Ian Clazual getting a call to play with Cosmos,it turned out to be a trial,he did not cut it an came back home,he fell of the charts after that

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »
I always wondered what hapened to Clauzelle and how he just fell off the map.

I was told that he suffered a knee injury.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »
Anton was the youngest person ever to play for TT at 16 (or was it 15?). That record was broken in the mid 80s by Clint Marcelle, also 15.

Most ppl dont't  know but Anton and Dexter Skeene were training with the Strike Squad for quite a while. They probably should have been on the team. However, the team was made up of mostly Def. Force and Trintoc players(they tended to snub the "College Boys.") Nothing new, Colin Rocke and Graeme Rodriguez.

One day whilst at a training camp in Puerto Rico, the fellas went shoppng dowtown. The bus end up leaving Dexter and Anton. (Actually they were just late).

Them fellas come back and buss some good cuss on everybody. They also cuss up Gally. Rumour had it, that Anton thought his father should have  been Coach. Anton let Gally know what he thought of him as a Coach.:-)  Well needless to say, these players were consequently dropped. They did however play for TT post Gally :-)

I saw Dexter play for CIC and FK, I believe he was on the national youth team with Ronnie Simmons. One of my regrets is that I never saw Corneal play.

Peace,
VB

Both Anton AND Dexter Skeene played in the decisive game for T&T in Honduras in 88 which saw us gaining a point and proceeding to the Hex.  Nakhid was in the squad too.  Richard Chinapoo also played that game.  Nakhid was on the bench I believe but didn't play.  Gally was coach.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 04:32:07 PM »
Skinner was a BOSS!  He played for Trinity, NOT John D

If he played fuh John D...dat woulda be ADVANTAGE

I still maintain Verron Skinner to be one of the best all round footballers I had the privilege to see and play against.

If he and Nakhid were in the Strike Squad in 89, there was no way we were NOT going to Italy.

Petty politics ensured that these guys didn't play.  They were perceived as "Corneal boys" and Gally was too hard headed to see the value they would have added to the team.  Yes, Nakhid did question Gally's tactics, but Gally instead of answerin de man find he was bole and outta place to be questionin him and blank he ass.  Which is why Elliott Allen end up gettin a pick. 

Doh get meh wrong....Elliott was BAD...wicked left foot...but he didn't have the experience or ability of Nakhid.

Gally also use tall man Lawrence as he defensive midfielder when that role was PERFECT for Verron Skinner.  Verron did have a bit of a knee injury at the time but not one that would incapacitate him.  As ah say.....jes dotishness keep dem 2 fellas especially out de side and de dotishness was all on Gally.

De Strike Squad should have been

Michael Maurice
Clayton Morris
Marvin Faustin
Dexter Francis
Brian Williams
Verron Skinner
Russell Latapy
David Nakhid
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke
Philbert Jones

Dat squad woulda take we to Italy. I'm sure of it.

didnt jamerson eventually replaced floyd lawrence as defensive mid?  i recall lawrence starting the honduras games then he got relegated to the bench in the final round (played a few games as a sub)

anyway back to yuh comment..i remember a lot of ppl during that time was calling for skinner to play..was he a lot better than jamerson?

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »

Peace,
VB

yeah both were on that team, although i never really rate skeene that much, pollonais was way better. ah go give tanna he due the fella coulda flat out play.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 04:47:09 PM »

Nakhid yes.  Nakhid AND Skinner....even more so.

Agree with this-i like gally but not playing nahkid seem real strange to me at that time, he shoulda been on that team without a doubt.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »

Peace,
VB

yeah both were on that team, although i never really rate skeene that much, pollonais was way better. ah go give tanna he due the fella coulda flat out play.
AGREE 100%. If Anton had a different last name he may have had a fair opportunity to maximise his full potential. He had a lot of football in him to offer and I believe he can offer alot as a coach.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »
I always wondered what hapened to Clauzelle and how he just fell off the map.

I was told that he suffered a knee injury.

VB
Ian clauzell, used to play for a few teams in the savanah league, and played in some small goal competitions, especially the one in gonzales at night since that's where he's from. he later cut his dreads and joined the army, i don't know if he ever played for them, but last i knew of him he was in the regiment or army.

PS, that was an extremly quiet dude who hardly said two words, they used to call him muscle head or muscle, i wonder if that was BC he was so quiet, anyway, maybe that cost him a career in football, since shyness gets you no where.               
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:24:19 AM by just cool »

1]; } ?>