April 27, 2024, 05:03:48 AM

Author Topic: Secondary Schools Football League changes...your thoughts?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline swood

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Secondary Schools Football League changes...your thoughts?
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:40:05 AM »
The Secondary Schools Football League opens in September and concludes in the first week of December. For the league itself, most teams (North, South, East) have to play 12 games in 5.5 weeks.
This results in teams having to sometimes play 3 matches in the space of 1 week...although in most cases 2 in 5 days. Some people term the SSFL a "washing machine" league as all players have time to do is wash their kits to play the next match.

When do players get time to recover from injury? Or when do coaches get time to prepare the team to adjust tactics based on their next opponents?

Do you think that the league, players, coaches and even fans can benefit from changing up the format a bit?

I know one suggestion is to reduce the number of teams playing...(This option I am not a big fan of)

What about extending the league such that there is a mid season break for the Christmas (and end of term exams) and resuming in January?

If this were possible then we can even change the format of INTERCOL games so that they take place during the same period as the league (like the FA Cup in England) hence we can include more Senior Division teams in the Intercol?

What are your thoughts?

Please note that this is NOT a discussion on whether or not the league is of poor standard...

p.s. Happy New Year to all  :beermug:

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary Schools Football League changes...your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:40:52 AM »
These are good questions let me revise them and get back to you on this.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
ALright my 2 cents,

SSFL is an extra curricular activity. Its participants are students. Education, classes and exams should be priority #1

Students are already made to feel like "stars" They get the benefit of missing school and classes however in the long run the % that make it as professional ballers is slim.

The aim must be to protect the student, provide him/her with an education first and foremost.

1) Cut out all second XI games for schools who already have teams playing in the Championship division. Many teams get away from relegation because their 2nd XI win the league below. Do away with that. A school can only compete in one tier. It will be less of a distraction to those who not sure if they playing football. It keeps the serious ones in focus and on top of their game. It reduces the number of teams in the league, which automatically = less games and less training and less stress on players.

2) Reduce the number of teams in SSFL....Have only the best and make those who coming up competitive. The problem is that 5yr schools will have a problem churning out good team successively. Hence Colleges may dominate the scene by importing players. Have about 6 teams MAX. Also do away with the big 5 competition have only the knockout intercol. Do not have the Senior division team compete in Intercol. Their prize is that they can come up and play the following year.

3) Grounds are a problem to maintain a field for that length of time, training etc costs money. extending the season will result in poor(er) pitches..see point 4 below.

4) Sports are seasonal...thus you will have a clash with cricket in the dry season. They have to train too and is usually one field to do all activities. Also some footballers are cricketers as well. Why should you limit the extra curricular activites a student can play in.

5) Christmas break is not a good thing...youths like to have fun too. Plus there is carnival etc. To be training nearly year round is difficult to juggle with studies etc. Also with all the other distractions spectators as well may not find time to go to games.

6) Extending the season will have an effect on the timing of the games. They will have to be pushed back earlier due to LIGHT or lack thereof. This is not feasible during the week as it takes away from school time. Only good for weekend games. It will also cut down training time unless teams could run well in the dark. This is in effect for January-March as well.

7) Exams and preparation will be affected. Extension is not a good idea.

8) DO NOT include Senior Divison teams in Intercol...most of them are not ready and do not have a proper football programme in place. ( ALL CIC MEN HUSH ALYUH TAIL)

9) Put Intercol at the middle of the season instead of the end. At the halfway point of the league do the intercol...thus there will be less injuries, players will be fresher. If they get knocked out they can gear up for the league and salvage the season. They will be more enthusiastic and it will give losing teams more time to train. Suspend all league play during this time...only knockout ball.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:30:43 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
All players must maintain above a 2.0 GPA, to start with. If you do not have this then you cannot play. Schools must submit to the league all participating students grades from prior semester, and schools must have a compliance officer to ensure that all students are infact legible to attend school and meet the requirements to play.

Regarding playing - I believe we should copy the US colleges and High School system.

- For U-16 and below unlimited subs are used with unlimited re-entry, teams are limited to roster no more than 18 players.

- For the Championship division follow the colleges rule of unlimited subs, but no re-entry in the 1st half and 1 re-entry in the 2nd half. To deal with the demands of the game increase roster size to 20 players. The level of play will be at a higher standard because such substitution requirements will encourage players to play faster and work harder. Players game will almost always be at maximum level.

- Scheduling should be left up to the coaches of the participating schools. The league can give a date as to when the league games should be completed.

They can take the 2 finalist teams from zonal intercol to the National intercol from which the top two teams play for the national championship.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »
- For U-16 and below unlimited subs are used with unlimited re-entry, teams are limited to roster no more than 18 players.

- For the Championship division follow the colleges rule of unlimited subs, but no re-entry in the 1st half and 1 re-entry in the 2nd half. To deal with the demands of the game increase roster size to 20 players. The level of play will be at a higher standard because such substitution requirements will encourage players to play faster and work harder. Players game will almost always be at maximum level.

Yeah my position on rolling substitutions has evolved. I am now more or less comfortable with the benefits versus the costs. But, I don't believe that increased roster size will bring depth ... a lot of times it just brings increased roster size.

The availability of subs on a bench is supposed to create heightened productivity, buh a lot of times these substitutions are used to rest the big gun and end up resulting in a sacrifice of what can be achieved tactically and technically.

A big squad can help yuh in match preparation (especially accounting for injuries) so maybe a session can geh up to 8 v 8 or 9 v 9 consistently without worries ...buh with some youths ego could real geh in de way ... if dey realise practice is dey mandate and dey eh gehhin no portfolio for actual games ... b/c truss meh, rolling subs or not, some yutes eh gehhin no run atall. period.

Ah see Touches mention eliminating Second XI ball in some situations (I eh know how many schools run both a First and a Second XI ...) buh on paper this is one way to geh around the training predicament above ... in practice yuh may end up having de tug and pull of who to apply where tactically on one squad or another ... especialy for middling players.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:15:52 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:06:30 PM »
Scrap SSFL
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:30:55 PM »
Introduce the Mercy Rule.After a side get 8 dats enough....stop de game.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »
Scrap SSFL

Palos yuh does make me laugh oui.... :rotfl:

1) Some people need confidence boosters SSFL does this
2) Some people will attend a 5 year college
3) Some men may never attend a prestigious college.
4) Some men may never get girls because of a lack of fame.
5) Some men will never be exposed (I never knew Palo Seco, Morouga, or Cedros had schools that had football)

Yes this is a stupid post....ah know, but even more is biggin up men if they could deliver a proper belt and then go to Youth World cup and get 5...in ah game.... Not from countries that have youth leagues that run for 9mts of the year....and we leagues run for 2.75 weeks...

We need an overhaul of TnT football, Viva La Revolution....

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
Scrap SSFL

5) Some men will never be exposed (I never knew Palo Seco, Morouga, or Cedros had schools that had football)

Yes this is a stupid post....ah know, but even more is biggin up men if they could deliver a proper belt and then go to Youth World cup and get 5...in ah game.... Not from countries that have youth leagues that run for 9mts of the year....and we leagues run for 2.75 weeks...

Yuh rel fas with yuhself.....MORUGA had football long time. Since in the days of Anthony Sherwood and them. They use to do real good. Mind yuh manners.  ;)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 06:13:20 PM »
Scrap SSFL

Yuh rel fas with yuhself.....MORUGA had football long time. Since in the days of Anthony Sherwood and them. They use to do real good. Mind yuh manners.  ;)

Hahaha You ah read "I did not Know part...."

Well when I played it was always a good trip from sando to morogua to give dem blows! Then they shot up in de late 90's and produced some quality players. I really meant to say Mayaro.... you get my point"

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
yeah elan right..moruga had good squads around the time of sherwood and sampson..moruga was one of the main challenegers to pres and benedicts in late 80s until p town came on de scene.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 09:05:35 PM »
Moruga got ban for about 5 years and their players went to P/Town.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »
Too little too late. The SSFL structured itself around the mantra that football is part of "character development through sport". Now that the league is threatened with losing their monopoly on talented young players that ideal gone out the window. Professional teams will continue to slowly consolidate their status as the venue through which the very best players will be noticed by foreign clubs. The Under-15 to U-20 teams are being selected based on their CLUB performances, not through repping their schools. How the hell is new schedule supposed to enhance academic achievement?

Steups. Perhaps they need to cut out big five and go straight to intercol. If they include more senior teams that might ease the pressure on #of games to play, maybe 6 league games instead of 8. That way they could keep big 5. Either way the SSFL missed the boat years ago, now in their scramble to recover they putting undue pressure on the youths because of their own shortsightness.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »
Moruga got ban for about 5 years and their players went to P/Town.

yeah, if my memory serve me right..it was for over age players.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 04:15:59 PM »
Too little too late. The SSFL structured itself around the mantra that football is part of "character development through sport". Now that the league is threatened with losing their monopoly on talented young players that ideal gone out the window. Professional teams will continue to slowly consolidate their status as the venue through which the very best players will be noticed by foreign clubs. The Under-15 to U-20 teams are being selected based on their CLUB performances, not through repping their schools. How the hell is new schedule supposed to enhance academic achievement?

Steups. Perhaps they need to cut out big five and go straight to intercol. If they include more senior teams that might ease the pressure on #of games to play, maybe 6 league games instead of 8. That way they could keep big 5. Either way the SSFL missed the boat years ago, now in their scramble to recover they putting undue pressure on the youths because of their own shortsightness.

Well said boss.  SSFL as it stands needs a total revamp.  It is no longer relevant except for bragging rights.  Dat might offend some but it doh make it any less true.

In short, SSFL is the betamax of football.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »

:rotfl:

So I'm guessing you're a proponent of the exclusive footballing academy business?...yuh think it will get dem youths to blu-ray levels
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »

So I'm guessing you're a proponent of the exclusive footballing academy business?...yuh think it will get dem youths to blu-ray levels

Blu-Ray go soon be de betamax of HD bro.  HD DVD winnin dah battle. 

Is no coincidence is Sony did come out wit betamax and is dem come wit Blu-Ray.  Same dotish marketin strategies....better product yes....but higher cost.  Dem never learn dem lesson.

As far as de football go, de way to go in my opinion is de PFL clubs and dem youth systems.  Dat is where REAL DEVELOPMENT does and will take place.  Not in no 6 week "season" with 3 and 4 game a week and amateur coachin at bess fuh de most part.  SSFL is bout gallery and little else.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 11:24:51 AM »

Is no coincidence is Sony did come out wit betamax and is dem come wit Blu-Ray.  Same dotish marketin strategies....better product yes....but higher cost.  Dem never learn dem lesson.

As far as de football go, de way to go in my opinion is de PFL clubs and dem youth systems.  Dat is where REAL DEVELOPMENT does and will take place.  Not in no 6 week "season" with 3 and 4 game a week and amateur coachin at bess fuh de most part.  SSFL is bout gallery and little else.

sorry Palos.. come on do your home-work

HD-DVD has been getting a firm beat down..

Blu-ray now effectively controls 70% of the market.... with the latest news that Warner Bros is going exclusively with Blu-Ray...

Please see here ...

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/04/hd-dvd-vs-blu-ray-battle-over-warner-switches-to-blu-ray/

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5o_jtobEI9M5f_SARKDatmaSU3QD8TVDBLO0

"Pali Capital analyst Rich Greenfield said in a Web posting Friday that he expects the HD DVD format to "die a quick death, versus a prolonged format war."

"Blu-ray got a big boost in June when Blockbuster Inc. announced it would stock only Blu-ray titles as it expands its high-definition offerings.
Target Inc., the nation's second-largest retailer, decided in July to sell only Blu-ray DVD players.
Among the other major studios that have decided to go with Blu-ray: The Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer."

Seems like the betamax ghost is being put to rest

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:30:01 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 12:46:23 PM »

sorry Palos.. come on do your home-work

HD-DVD has been getting a firm beat down..

Blu-ray now effectively controls 70% of the market.... with the latest news that Warner Bros is going exclusively with Blu-Ray...

Please see here ...

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/04/hd-dvd-vs-blu-ray-battle-over-warner-switches-to-blu-ray/

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5o_jtobEI9M5f_SARKDatmaSU3QD8TVDBLO0

"Pali Capital analyst Rich Greenfield said in a Web posting Friday that he expects the HD DVD format to "die a quick death, versus a prolonged format war."

"Blu-ray got a big boost in June when Blockbuster Inc. announced it would stock only Blu-ray titles as it expands its high-definition offerings.
Target Inc., the nation's second-largest retailer, decided in July to sell only Blu-ray DVD players.
Among the other major studios that have decided to go with Blu-ray: The Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer."

Seems like the betamax ghost is being put to rest

De one industry dat sets the trends in dese sort of tings has gone HD-DVD.

De Porn Industry.  Hard Lucks fuh Sony... 8)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
De one industry dat sets the trends in dese sort of tings has gone HD-DVD.

De Porn Industry.  Hard Lucks fuh Sony... 8)

;D  :beermug:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>