April 28, 2024, 05:59:03 PM

Author Topic: Merry Christmas Thread  (Read 24215 times)

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas Warriors!
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »
Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day and all the best for the new year.  :beermug:
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

TrinInfinite

Re: Merry Christmas Jack Manday
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2007, 10:37:03 AM »
The History of Christmas

In the Western world, the birthday of Jesus Christ has been celebrated on December 25th since AD 354, replacing an earlier date of January 6th. The Christians had by then appropriated many pagan festivals and traditions of the season, that were practiced in many parts of the Middle East and Europe, as a means of stamping them out.

There were mid-winter festivals in ancient Babylon and Egypt, and Germanic fertility festivals also took place at this time. The birth of the ancient sun-god Attis in Phrygia was celebrated on December 25th, as was the birth of the Persian sun-god, Mithras. The Romans celebrated Saturnalia, a festival dedicated to Saturn, the god of peace and plenty, that ran from the 17th to 24th of December. Public gathering places were decorated with flowers, gifts and candles were exchanged and the population, slaves and masters alike, celebrated the occasion with great enthusiasm.

In Scandinavia, a period of festivities known as Yule contributed another impetus to celebration, as opposed to spirituality. As Winter ended the growing season, the opportunity of enjoying the Summer's bounty encouraged much feasting and merriment.

The Celtic culture of the British Isles revered all green plants, but particularly mistletoe and holly. These were important symbols of fertility and were used for decorating their homes and altars.

New Christmas customs appeared in the Middle Ages. The most prominent contribution was the carol, which by the 14th century had become associated with the religious observance of the birth of Christ.

In Italy, a tradition developed for re-enacting the birth of Christ and the construction of scenes of the nativity. This is said to have been introduced by Saint Francis as part of his efforts to bring spiritual knowledge to the laity.

Saints Days have also contributed to our Christmas celebrations. A prominent figure in today's Christmas is Saint Nicholas who for centuries has been honored on December 6th. He was one of the forerunners of Santa Claus.

Another popular ritual was the burning of the Yule Log, which is strongly embedded in the pagan worship of vegetation and fire, as well as being associated with magical and spiritual powers.

Celebrating Christmas has been controversial since its inception. Since numerous festivities found their roots in pagan practices, they were greatly frowned upon by conservatives within the Church. The feasting, gift-giving and frequent excesses presented a drastic contrast with the simplicity of the Nativity, and many people throughout the centuries and into the present, condemn such practices as being contrary to the true spirit of Christmas.

The earliest English reference to December 25th as Christmas Day did not come until 1043.

it has also been said that Jesus' actual birth was in april... they say he could have been an aries.. of course i would rather him stay a capricorn as myself  ;D

Jesus is de BOSS....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2007, 11:29:11 AM »
What iz so holey and festive about this seasoning, what iz holy for you iz bombs an bulits for ah nother man , it uses to be festive but no more .
Christmas means "bombs and bulits for ah nother man"??

truetrini

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2007, 09:20:19 PM »
actually, jesus was said to have been born Jan 6th.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2007, 09:10:48 AM »
who knows for sure what is the date??

we picking the 25th to celebrate it, end of story...

with all of that talk jack..

ah hoping yuh ent buss open no gift or drink out nobody stocks for de xmas.. is either yuh leave dat for we who have something to celebrate or come and join us on de holy train.. wha yuh say?  ;)

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas Warriors!
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »
Late - Happy Holidays!

Looking forward to a better, exciting and productive 2008. All the best!
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »
actually, jesus was said to have been born Jan 6th.

Another tradition says Jan 6 is "3 Kings Day" when the wise men arrived to bring gifts - that's why in some places they hand out gifts on that day. The 12 days of christmas comes from dec 25-jan 6. I never understood why the American commercial machine never exploited those 12 days more fully to sell more stuff.  ;)

But as Omar says no one has any concrete idea when he was actually born, so a date was picked.

The eastern othodox church uses the Julian calendar which is 13 days behind and so celebrate on Jan 7. Ever notice how they keep selling christmas trees after christmas in NYC and other eastern orthodox enclaves?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Merry Christmas SW Limers
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2008, 05:11:48 PM »

Sponsored by: 2 extra strength Tylenol, half bottle ah Alcolado, 2 panadol, ah asprin, ah cup ah orange peel tea, ah SW bandana and ah Adidas tall socks

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas SW Limers
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
Happy Holidays to you Cana and all the warriors who attend this madness we call a forum. Hope everyone enjoy the best of times with family and friends. Stay safe and please don't drink and drive.

p.s. Ontario residents.. this facking winter is real pressha already oui! 3 hrs shoveling on Friday night , 1 hr this am and the wind blowing back everything onto my driveway. But ah hear it's ah certain poster that juss return from TnT that bring all this bad weather. Call name..I'll whistle.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »
Thanks Trini lovely card.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2008, 06:06:06 AM »
Oh yes...Merry Christmas forumites!!...I doing this now because I wont have internet access from tomorrow till Saturday....

I making mih annual trip back to Bago....I tried getting out of it this year, but the disappointment in my Mother's voice when I told her I wasn't coming change mih mind....(lest she cut mih out de will!!... ;D)

Enjoy it!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2008, 07:28:54 AM »
Enjoy bago girl promise 2 spend ah Xmas dey 1 yr yes. All d best stock up on whatever all yuh have 4 stress and bring it back nuff football in 09 so is nuff stress .
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »
Merry Christmas Cana.

Hope all is well with you and your family

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »
nice card cana
who did know cobo could handle ice and snow?

Merry Christmas, Kwaanza, Hannukah and Festivus to all
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
Best  and safe wishes to all and your families during this time of the year!!!!

P.S. all yuh think it cold in Ontariooooooo? frigging -29 's consistently for the past two weeks in Alberta!!!!!!
Still dreaming of meh retirement in either TorT? anyone with a good deal on a house?

You're in luck. this hot property was just listed.

Best feature - Ocean View/front in a natural setting.

My sincere apologizes to Cana for the brief hijack - this was too good to pass up.

"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2008, 01:52:02 PM »
and same to you rookmin. :beermug:and to de rest ah forumites have ah happy and safe holiday.god bless.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2008, 07:34:25 PM »
Merry Christmas and God's blessings to all  :beermug:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2008, 08:04:17 PM »
Thanks allyuh....  ;D
Be safe eh, ah want to hear all ah allyuh bachannel and ole talk nex year  :beermug:

pecan how ya making out with dese continuous snow storm boy ???
talk about pressure on the roads dis morning?

ah take ah week off from today, and ah say to meh self lemme go to staples and get meh stocks for dey new year, but dey time i reach corner and clarke and oxford streets which is 20-25 mins from me - watch dey snow plow 4 cars in front ah meh, ah tantie driving like she on reverse in front ah meh and ah mack truck behind meh, dey WINTER tire dat cost meh almost 300 ah rubber skating like ah going for winter olympics ah start to cuss HARD, ah didn't care who hear meh.

Ah reach by dey traffic lights by Dundas and ah Jamaican fella pull up along side meh (he had ah flag hengin on dey review) ah roll down meh glass, and hear he 'sista!' before he could continue ah bawl 'boy wha dey fack we doing here?' dey man buss oui...steupse!  He gone!

Ah take meh time and gone ein staples -surprisingly hadly anybody in dey, ah buy meh stocks (ting cheap no arse) and ah start to walk out dey people door when meh brain tell dey ress ah meh body to go across to Walmart. No lie ah actually start walk towards dey people building and meh right eye start to count how much car it have in dey big carpark. After ah reach 8 cars ah say Fack dat eh!

Ah jump back ein meh car to head home, ah see gas gone down again, ah full meh tank, wash meh windscreen and dem and gone home....

Meh fridge full, meh smaller fridge fuller wid drinks, meh mudda sen' some pastelles and ah black cake for meh....Dey only time ah leaving this cave is Christmas day when ah going by meh boss to eat out he house...after dat ah not leaving dis cave until Sunday..

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:06:24 PM by TriniCana »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2008, 09:10:42 PM »
Cana, is long time since I shovel so much snow in one week.   I think we get more snow than Jumbie.  Even the cats doh want to go outside.

But yesterday was the first day of winter, so far the solstice, I decided to cavort around the maple tree in the back yard with no clothes to celebrate ancient pagan rites. I'll celebrate the Christian rites on the 25th.

My blizzacks (winter tires) is grip the road good.  That plus traction control mean that so far, I not slipping and sliding (I mean I also watching my speed to make sure I can stop in time  ;D).

Aye, you should come to St. Paul's Cathedral on Christmas Eve (Richmond and Queens).

The choir (which is ranked in the top three in Canadian Anglican Cathedral Choirs) will be accompanied by a chamber orchestra (musicians from Orchestra London).  My daughter sings in the choir (soprano)

Here is the schedule

7:30pm     Wednesday, December 24     Christmas Eve Eucharist
10:30pm    Wednesday, December 24    Carol service
11:00pm    Wednesday, December 24    Christmas Eve Eucharist

The music will be splendid.  They are good.

btw: where did you take that nice photo . .from Gibbons Park?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:13:27 PM by pecan piye »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2008, 03:48:42 AM »

Sponsored by: 2 extra strength Tylenol, half bottle ah Alcolado, 2 panadol, ah asprin, ah cup ah orange peel tea, ah SW bandana and ah Adidas tall socks

Thank you TriniCana...merry Christmas to you and all the SW.NET limers  :beermug:

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2008, 06:49:24 AM »
Merry christmas to all the forumites :beermug:

Nice card Cana  :beermug:   

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2008, 10:27:13 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8rXQDEsKNAg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8rXQDEsKNAg</a>
merry x mas
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:33:12 AM by . »
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
Merry Christmas folks!
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Merry Xmas Warriors
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Merry Christmas to all.

Oh yeah happy New Years too ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2008, 02:00:47 PM »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and ALL!!!!

and for the new president ;D

a question for the limers
which tune have the lyrics: "tie santa like a cow in morvant" thanks ahead of time
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:24:43 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas and blessed 2009
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »
Merry Christmas and blessed 2009

yes warriors...thanks for the vibes this year...enjoy the holidays and be safe....say yuh prayers... and live in love

lets look forwad to the next year...play some good fittball...laugh...cry...cuss and enjoy...

lets get behind out team .... whatever coach it have...(once is not Whitmore)

ah feel we going SA 2010.... but lets strap on for the movie first...

HAVE FAITH NOT FEAR... BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO ....AND ALL OUR FOREIGN FRIENDS ALSO
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas and blessed 2009
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »
Same to you!

Good post
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas and blessed 2009
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »
Merry chistmas and a blessed New Year to everyone.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »
Cana, is long time since I shovel so much snow in one week.   I think we get more snow than Jumbie.  Even the cats doh want to go outside.

But yesterday was the first day of winter, so far the solstice, I decided to cavort around the maple tree in the back yard with no clothes to celebrate ancient pagan rites. I'll celebrate the Christian rites on the 25th.

My blizzacks (winter tires) is grip the road good.  That plus traction control mean that so far, I not slipping and sliding (I mean I also watching my speed to make sure I can stop in time  ;D).

Aye, you should come to St. Paul's Cathedral on Christmas Eve (Richmond and Queens).

The choir (which is ranked in the top three in Canadian Anglican Cathedral Choirs) will be accompanied by a chamber orchestra (musicians from Orchestra London).  My daughter sings in the choir (soprano)

Here is the schedule

7:30pm     Wednesday, December 24     Christmas Eve Eucharist
10:30pm    Wednesday, December 24    Carol service
11:00pm    Wednesday, December 24    Christmas Eve Eucharist

The music will be splendid.  They are good.

btw: where did you take that nice photo . .from Gibbons Park?

You is about the 3rd person that mention this choir ting at the Anglican church to me in the last 2 weeks, but ah promise somebody that i'll attend the 6pm at St Peter Seminary....dey same church dat i snap in dey 'photo of the day' thread.

Allyuh thanks eh, ah does try wid dey snap taking ting. I took that one on one of my walks last Sunday. Pecan, do you know Windermere Road off of Adalaide Street ? Well there's a bicycle trail that leads to a hiking trail that takes you out to Highbury Avenue. I'm not sure exactly where, because normally i does juss loose mehself in dey bush only taking out snap... ah need a navigating system in meh arse  :rotfl:

ah took some more out, i'll send them for ya to see....

1]; } ?>