April 24, 2024, 10:21:49 PM

Author Topic: English FA Cup Thread  (Read 25285 times)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Scotland granted leave for FA-Cup clash.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »
All yuh, that was a diplomatic way to say Scotty was not picked for the game.  The coaches had to leave out somebody and instead of bringing him to sit on the bench they suggest that he stay and play for the FA Cup.  he will be called later.  They preferred KJ, Cornell Glen and Stern.  Simple as that!  This was not Scotty's doing.  That is just my fan opinion.
Except that Scotty's manager is on record saying the same thing. Why would Swansea's manager lie to a newspaper in Wales about a T&T selection issue? In fact, why would it even come up?

What was reported is what happened. Stern is Scotty's replacement. He wasn't one of the Bristol players mentioned when that team originally announced its international call-ups.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:33:31 PM by Gillie Face »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland granted leave for FA-Cup clash.
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »
Exactly Gillie
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
2011 FA Cup Final: Stoke City vs Manchester City.
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 06:23:59 AM »
Stoke May Lose Etherington for Wembley But at Least They Have Jones
http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/04/28/stoke-may-lose-etherington-for-wembley-but-at-least-they-have-jo/

By John Percy

Matthew Etherington's expected absence from the FA Cup Final is undoubtedly a hammer blow for Stoke, but at least Tony Pulis can console himself with the return of another key player.

After three difficult months that have seen him become a target for criticism from his own supporters, it appears Kenwyne Jones has finally rediscovered the form that made him one of the Premier League's most feared front men.

Four goals in four games don't tell half the story, for Jones looks a completely different player to the one that appeared tentative, short of confidence and, frankly, an expensive mistake at a club record £8 million earlier in the year.

Against Wolves on Tuesday, Jones displayed all the attributes that once had John Terry rushing to Chelsea's powerbrokers demanding that Roman Abramovich sign him from Sunderland.

He swatted defenders away like they weren't there, linked up play with ease and proved a general nuisance in the opposition penalty area.

And while Roberto Mancini will have walked out into the Staffordshire night lifted by the cruel injury to Etherington, he will have been acutely aware that Jones represents a serious threat to his hopes of ending Manchester City's agonising wait for silverware.

It is easy to see why Steve Bruce ran out of patience with Jones last summer. You look at the Trinidad & Tobago international towering above everyone else, consider all his strengths and expect him to be a colossus every week.

But he is clearly a player who needs an arm around the shoulder. Perhaps Bruce tired of the softly-softly approach and decided enough was enough.

At the start of this year, Pulis must also have been agonising over how to handle him. There was the game against Sunderland where he was booed by both sets of fans.

An off-field problem, believed to be a difficult divorce, was affecting Jones but Pulis stuck with him. A few weeks ago the pair had a chat about it and Jones hasn't looked back since.

Pulis, in his own words, needs to "keep him at it" if he wants to end Stoke's own trophy drought. But to keep Jones at it, he needs the delivery of Etherington, and that's why Pulis is giving his crocked winger every chance of making the Final.

It looked ominous when Etherington collapsed to the turf on Tuesday. His expression suggested that he knew he would miss out on Wembley.

But Stoke are already talking of oxygen tents and every possible method to ensure he appears. This first week will be vital in his recovery but after that Stoke are in the laps of the gods.

How Stoke need him for the Final. And especially Jones.

Jubilant Jonno praises Jones

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/jubilant-jonno-praises-jones

Stoke City – Kenwyne Jones is one of the best strikers around according to Jonathan Walters

Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones has come into criticism for some of his performances of late.

But four goals in his last four games for the Potters seems to have got the proverbial 'monkey' off his back, with his return to form prompting his name to ring loud and proud at the Britannia stadium once more.

Jones' strike partner Jonathan Walters says the Trinidad and Tobago international's ability was 'never in any doubt'.

"Kenwyne is one of the best strikers in the Premier League and he has shown that this season for us," he said.

Walters is pleased to see the 26-year-old star firing on all cylinders again – even if he has been caught in the race to be Stoke's top goalscorer this season.

"Everyone goes through good and bad patches but Kenwyne is riding on the crest of a wave at the moment.

"Let's hope that continues until the end of the season. He is unplayable when he is in this sort of form."

Fresh from their 0-3 victory over relegation strugglers Wolves at Molineux on Tuesday night, Stoke moved up to ninth in the Barclays Premier League table.

The focus now turns to an away trip to Blackpool at the weekend before a home fixture against Arsenal.

After that comes the biggest game in the club's recent history as Stoke prepare to face Manchester City in an FA Cup final showdown at Wembley.

"It would be a remarkable achievement to finish in the top 10 and pick up more points than the 47 that were accumulated last season," Walters concluded.

"Together with reaching an FA Cup Final, that would cap an unbelievable year for us."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 06:29:14 AM by Flex »
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 FA Cup Final: Stoke City vs Manchester City.
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
Manchester City v Stoke City Preview: Battle to Become the City of Dreams
By: John Percy

FA CUP FINAL: WEMBLEY, SATURDAY MAY 14, 2011. KICK-OFF: 1500 BST

After nearly four decades of frustration, underachievement and, more recently, bloated expectations, Roberto Mancini has the chance to firmly etch his name into Manchester City history.

Despite already securing a place in next season's Champions League the urbane Italian is acutely aware that silverware is required if the club are really to become regarded as more than simply Manchester United's "noisy neighbours".

Mancini has impressively gone about his work this term against the backdrop of a fractious dressing room, barbs from other clubs about their spending power and the omnipresent uncertainty over whether billionaire owner Sheikh Mansour is going to wield the axe.

He has surely earned a reprieve after finishing fourth in the Premier League but ending 35 years without a trophy will render him bombproof at Eastlands.

How Stoke will relish the prospect of extending their wait. Tony Pulis and his players delight in upsetting the big boys and Mancini has already admitted that the Potters represent more of a threat than Manchester United.

Stoke's incredible performance against Bolton in the semi-final ensures they simply can't be written off, with the only concern for Pulis the doubts over whether Matthew Etherington or Robert Huth will be available to play after untimely injuries.

Their history is even more humble than their illustrious opponents, as they prepare for their first FA Cup Final in 148 years. Stoke have certainly come a long way since their last silverware, when they won the Autoglass Trophy in the 1999/2000 season.

Key Match-up: Ryan Shawcross v Carlos Tevez. Shawcross is running into form at just the right time for Stoke and epitomises the work rate and commitment of the Potters. He will expect Tevez to return from a hamstring injury and knows stopping Manchester City's leading scorer will be key to a surprise triumph.

Form Guide: Mancini has masterminded notable victories over United and Spurs in recent weeks andnd have lost two of their last seven games. Stoke will go into the clash having only lost one of their last nine games. Since Stoke's return to the Premier League, and two meetings in last season's FA Cup, both clubs have two wins apiece from seven games.

Odds: Manchester City 5/6, Stoke 10/3, Draw 13/5 Tweeter Facebook FourSquare iPhoneMANCHESTER CITY:
Mancini hopes to seal a perfect week by leading the Eastlands club to their first trophy in 35 years - and what would be his first in English football.

"I'm excited by this and very proud for my players," he said. "I always saw this game on TV in Italy - Manchester United against Chelsea and I watched when Harry Redknapp won with Portsmouth.

"This is a big moment for me in my career. The FA Cup is very important, it is my first final and the first time Manchester City have been in it for a long time. It will be a special day.

"Our target was the Champions League and after that we wanted to get into one of the final. We are in the FA final. It's a good moment for us.

"We have got fourth spot but now we should keep our concentration. If we claim six points (from the last two Premier League matches) maybe we can arrive in third position."

But the Italian concedes his team will have their work cut out against a Potters team they have beaten just once in their last six meetings.

He added: "Stoke are a strong team, very difficult team. If we want to win Saturday we should pay attention. It will be very, very hard."

Strategy: This is a game the Manchester club are fully expected to win, putting Mancini under pressure to retreat from his conservative ways. The Italian will know winning the midfield battle against an uncompromising Stoke side is vital, meaning Gareth Barry is likely to earn an immediate recall to the team.

But the million-dollar question for Mancini, of course, is whether to gamble on captain Tevez's fitness and play him from the start after just playing seven minutes on Tuesday night. With the stakes so high and Blues fans so desperate for that elusive trophy, it is a gamble he seems likely to take on his most influential player.

Injury Update: Tevez came through his midweek run-out unscathed, Barry is fit after recovering from the hamstring injury which has ruled him out of the last two games. Micah Richards is likely to start after coming through Tuesday night's clash without any signs of a reaction to his recent hamstring problem, however Jerome Boateng misses out again with a knee injury.

STOKE CITY:
Kenwyne Jones may be running into the best form of his career at Stoke but the accusations of an unfulfilled talent still remain.

The Trinidad & Tobago international has five goals in his last six games and will represent a major threat to Mancini's hopes of silverware - if he's in the mood.

Even in interviews, Jones appears to revel in his reputation as an enigma but is determined to seize the opportunity to display his talents at such a showpiece event.

He said: "As a player you would say that every day, from the day you start playing to the day you retire, your best has yet to come.

"Every football player no matter whether they are just beginning or finished playing still feel they can be the best or they can go out and still do something. It is a part of football life, obviously you have ups, you have downs, it is just the course of the game really.

"Hopefully we can all take the chance against Manchester City even though it is going to be a huge test. They have a massive fan base and massive resources and they have world class players so of course it is going to be a test.

"It's not £60 million at the end of it and staying in the league., That's an endurance race over time. When you stay in the league you're happy but this is a bigger prize at stake.

"As much as you have to say you have to try and stay calm, emotions are going to be running high. So we have to try and calm down as soon as possible and do what we can do."

Strategy: Much will depend on the availability of Etherington and Huth, though the Stoke winger is considered more doubtful to start the game. Even without both of them, their second half display against Arsenal was impressive enough and they have already proved they can hurt the bigger clubs.

Stoke have already posed their opponents problems in the Premier League and the aerial bombardment will work - though, as they proved against Bolton and the Gunners, they do possess talented footballers.

There will be lots of diagonal balls aimed at Jones, while the delivery of Jermaine Pennant from the right will be crucial. Still expect frequent use of Rory Delap's throw, however, and that weapon will still be just as effective at the national stadium as it proves at the Brit.

Injury Update: Etherington (groin) and Huth (knee) will both be late shouts. Thomas Sorensen will replace Asmir Begovic in goal. Danny Higginbotham (knee), Ricardo Fuller and Mamady Sidibe (both Achilles) are long-term casualties.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »
'Kenwyne Jones can get the better of Vincent Kompany'
- former Manchester City goalkeeper David James picks five key battles in FA Cup final against Stoke
By James Daly (Goal.com)

Keeper believes Saturday's final is a chance for Manchester side to announce their arrival at the top of the English game but predicts Potters forward to cause them problems

Former Manchester City goalkeeper David James has been on the winning and losing sides in FA Cup finals - and believes this year's staging will be as tough to call as any before.

While Manchester City have the riches and are very much favourites to lift a trophy for the first time since 1976, Stoke City have the form and spirit to cause a famous upset in England's major domestic final.

James - who lifted the trophy with Portsmouth in 2008 but tasted defeat in last year's final against Chelsea, as well as in 1996 with Liverpool and in 2000 with Aston Villa - gives Goal.com the lowdown on five key battles that he thinks will settle the match at Wembley on Saturday...

Matthew Etherington v Micah Richards

"Etherington had a good season but I think this is an opportunity for Micah Richards to shine. As well as Manchester City have done this year he hasn't really been in the frame.

"It's an opportunity to show on the best stage he will have played on in his career why he should be included back into the England set-up.

"He was a young talent that a lot of people raved about. I didn't have much experience playing with him; I think he broke in to the Man City side when I left, but he was obviously included in lots of early group matches for England with Steve McClaren. It's an opportunity for him."

Jermaine Pennant v Pablo Zabaleta

"This is no bias after being in the Portsmouth team with Jermaine Pennant but he is just so raw and again is another player who for all the early talent he showed when he was with Arsenal, has faded a bit.

"It's also an opportunity for him to show the world why he should be taken seriously. Psychology plays a part in every player's performance and it will with Jermaine but I think given the run-in he's had to the season it's a great opportunity for him to maybe add silverware."

Kenwyne Jones v Vincent Kompany

"Kompany has had a great season for Manchester City, but I think I'm going to go with Kenwyne here. Mainly because I feel that he is a big time player and it's the first opportunity I think he will have had to play at Wembley; I just think he'll be up for the occasion.

"I actually think that Man City will win the game but that's not to say that these individual battles won't have different outcomes. He's going to be a focal point for Stoke that's for sure and I think playing against Kompany is a challenge he'll possibly win."

David Silva v Glenn Whelan

"I think Silva will be pulling a few strings. From what I've seen he's looked very good. Unfortunately the £25 million price tag is not always a reflection on a player's ability and whether any player is ever worth that amount of money is questionable, but as far as being an influential player in a cup final I think he's got every chance.

"Anyone who signed for Manchester City knew what was at stake and that was being successful and winning trophies; they've got the Champions League qualification out of the way and now it is a chance to win something."

Edin Dzeko v Robert Huth

"This is an interesting competition because the initial reference will be Huth's defending ability against Dzeko's attacking ability but Huth himself has got the potential to score goals at the other end; there I think Huth's influence on the game will be large, beyond the defending side of things.

"But given that I think Man City will win the final I guess I'm going to have to say Dzeko for this battle! City are playing well; they're in a cup final and it's an opportunity for the team to win a trophy, and if they share any sort of belief, which I'm very much sure they do about winning trophies as opposed to just qualifying for competitions, then this is a big opportunity for them."
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
As much as I want KJ to do well tomorrow, I aint have no evidence that KJ is a big time player, simply because he has not delivered in big time situations yet. Still have to work on consistency, and that will come with experience and effort.

If KJ show up tomorrow hungry and fired up, he will do well. That is the key, and not let 2 hard tackles and a phase of lack of service deter him and make him get lethargic.

Fired up KJ - top class player
Average/laid back KJ - very average forward.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »
Well all he needs is one game to show that he could be. Give dem hell tomorrow Jones.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »
As much as I want KJ to do well tomorrow, I aint have no evidence that KJ is a big time player, simply because he has not delivered in big time situations yet. Still have to work on consistency, and that will come with experience and effort.

If KJ show up tomorrow hungry and fired up, he will do well. That is the key, and not let 2 hard tackles and a phase of lack of service deter him and make him get lethargic.

Fired up KJ - top class player
Average/laid back KJ - very average forward.

The reason why they said that he is a big time (game) player is because of his scoring record when playing against the so-called big four!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »
Ethrington and Huth still recovering from injuries so I dont know if they will even play.  James might have to make predictions about some other battle come game day

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »
Good luck KJ!!!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 08:51:48 PM »
Go Stoke!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
Where are our poets and song writers? Somebody, pen a verse for we tuh chant nah.

Jones will shine, he tired ah riding pine
Is Wembly we talkin' 'bout, allyuh ain't see he done end his drought
So bring on Man City, he will shock doubters and  purge Mancini
I going brave and calling a Stoke City route
Four-three in favor of the Potters, Jones with a brace to seal the win and dig them out of the gutters
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2011, 06:42:18 AM »
What time is the game EST.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:26 AM »
Lets get this party started! Go Stoke.

Lets Go Stoke City
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »
waay flow block it yes ,stueps . i go have to watch it online
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2011, 08:07:27 AM »
waay flow block it yes ,stueps . i go have to watch it online

Boy I now buss ah steups mih self and come for a link..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
Since I vex with the Man U game (Card carrying member of the Haters) I will say this.
It have 2 sites that ALWAYS have links. No matter what, for a big game you could go to atdhe and myp2p.eu.

So why allyuh does still come here looking for links? Yuh doh even have to try hard!

ok, rant over, I still vex sour bitter though...

As for the game, is All Man City right now. Stoke defending a little too deep i think. The game is not even 10 minutes old

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
Since I vex with the Man U game (Card carrying member of the Haters) I will say this.
It have 2 sites that ALWAYS have links. No matter what, for a big game you could go to atdhe and myp2p.eu.

So why allyuh does still come here looking for links? Yuh doh even have to try hard!

Oh hush!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

giggsy11

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2011, 08:17:40 AM »
Go Stoke...rough dem up and score a few!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2011, 08:18:26 AM »

As for the game, is All Man City right now. Stoke defending a little too deep i think. The game is not even 10 minutes old

aqh feel stoke doh have no choice but to defend deep eight now. lol ManCity breedin fire!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
stoke city keeper rel saving !
Youtube Channel

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Man up Kenwyne!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
Stoke in panic mode already. Them just kicking the ball anywhere.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
Stoke looking clueless so far...Kenwyne had one nice play for the half when he cut the ball back on his left to shoot, after some good chest control from a goal kick...

Otherwise it's all City...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »
In all fairness ah think KJ accustomed to being de big man on de field but when dem fellas was shakin hands before de start when dat Man city team walk by KJ he was lookin short at least 4-5 times. Real big man on Man City team but as Dinho say ah feel KJ have to be more physical because De ref not giving him nothinb for free so he better quit de victim ting he tryin to do.
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>