April 23, 2024, 07:40:48 AM

Author Topic: Antigua bringing they big overseas pros for the WC qualifiers  (Read 2033 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Antigua bringing they big overseas pros for the WC qualifiers
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:02:23 AM »

Antiguan hopes 'overseas' (FIFA.com) Wednesday 9 January 2008
 Print Email to a friendUp against neighbours and island paradise Aruba in the opening round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, Antigua and Barbuda, who made waves by finishing fourth at the 1998 Caribbean Cup, are hoping to revive the glory days.

With a patchy record in FIFA World Cup qualifying since losing their first preliminary - and first-ever game - 13-2 to Trinidad & Tobago back in 1972, current boss and former player Derrick Edwards is banking on the addition of a trio of overseas professionals to bolster his squad of part-timers, including butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.

In this case, the definition of 'overseas' translates to just under 500 nautical miles south and the Trinidad and Tobago Premier League. It is there, in the comparative footballing hotbed, where Antiguan standouts Peter 'Big Pete' Byers, Gayson 'Bubbler' Gregory and veteran defender and captain George 'Sowa' Dublin ply their trade as full-time pros.

"This time around we are in good shape with three professional players in the team," said Edwards, who was part of the Wadidli Boys squad that lost 9-1 over two legs to Guatemala in qualifying for Korea/Japan 2002. "These three boys are going to be the backbone of my squad. As professionals they bring a level of experience, class and overall fitness that makes them a cut above the home-based guys.

"Their inclusion in the team raises expectations a great deal ahead of qualifying and our first series with Aruba," added the coach known as 'Pretty Boy', who expects a good chunk of the 70,000 locals who populate the two islands of Antigua and Barbuda to be present at the recently renovated Sir Vivian Richards stadium and make some noise on 26 March. The all-important first leg takes place in Oranjestad, Aruba on 6 February.

The impact of the three Trinidad-based men cannot be over-estimated. In a recent 2-0 friendly win over a fancied St. Kitts and Nevis side, it was the brawny Byers, rumoured to be heading to the USA for a trial with MLS outfit Real Salt Lake, who scored both the goals, while Dublin and Gregory put in impressive shifts.

Byers finished as the Trinidad and Tobago Premier League's top scorer for 2007, with 15 goals for San Juan Jabloteh - managed by ex-England international Terry Fenwick - alongside Gregory. Dublin plays for Tunapuna-based rivals Joe Public.

Route-one Antigua
Edwards is also eager to point out that Antigua and Barbuda will not be relying on the silky skills and chaplinesque improvisation that have come to be the hallmark of many Caribbean sides. "We like to play with the ball in the air and take advantage of our power and speed," insisted the tactician, who is going into his third year in charge.

"We have great pace up the flanks and play with a flat back four. We're a little more direct than a lot of our neighbours, preferring to play a little bit of the old-fashioned long ball."

To hear him tell it, Edwards is certain his side - with all the players currently hailing from the main island of Antigua and none from the smaller island of Barbuda - will roll over Aruba. "We took a look at their U-21s recently and I was not impressed," he told FIFA.com dismissively. "They are a young team and we have to be considered the favourites to win the series."

If their trio of overseas stars and long-ball approach prove enough to see them past Aruba, the next test for the Antiguans will be far stiffer. Indeed, no lesser force than Cuba wait in the wings.

"I suppose it's better than drawing the USA or Mexico," chuckled Edwards, who led the team to the second qualifying round for the 2007 Caribbean Cup. "But Cuba are one of the best teams in the Caribbean and with increased fitness and preparations we'll be going in with confidence."
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Re: Antigua bringing they big overseas pros for the WC qualifiers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:03:25 AM »
In this case, the definition of 'overseas' translates to just under 500 nautical miles south and the Trinidad and Tobago Premier League.

???  Didn't know that was the name of the local league. Lol.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »
Let's go Antigua !

Buss up Aruba and Cuba for we.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:16:37 AM »
This is my island in the sun
Jamming from since time begun
This is my island in the sun
No one can party like me

This ya one for Antigua
Me a go big u up
Me have fu big u up yeah ah
No matter where I roam
U will always be my (SECOND) home yeah…
Sometimes the road get rough
Me na go let u down
Me na go give u up no way
In the heat of the summer time
We make baccahnal
We love carnival

Antigua nice, sweet like paradise
Antigua nice, show it for the world to see
Antigua nice, how we live in unity

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »
Byers aint no joke! He go do to Aruba or Cuba what Reon Nelson do to one ah dem Jamaican league sides.  ;)

Go Antigua! Represent de Pro League!
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:31:37 AM »
When I read this title I was wondering if a cricket WC tournament involving the various Caribbean nations was about to take place  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:35:29 AM »
Edwards is also eager to point out that Antigua and Barbuda will not be relying on the silky skills and chaplinesque improvisation that have come to be the hallmark of many Caribbean sides.

this author is a poet!!!  ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:21:23 AM »
When I read this title I was wondering if a cricket WC tournament involving the various Caribbean nations was about to take place  ;D

LOL  :rotfl:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »
Ent Byers and Gayson Gregory does play for Jabloteh while George Dublin play for Tobago United
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »
Byers aint no joke! He go do to Aruba or Cuba what Reon Nelson do to one ah dem Jamaican league sides.  ;)

He heh. I see you have claimed Roen Nelson as if he is Trini. Why not just throw him a passport like you did Seabra? Probably would be a regular on the T&T strating line up  :)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 11:37:42 AM »
he would be a regular in yuh bottom RF
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »

He heh. I see you have claimed Roen Nelson as if he is Trini. Why not just throw him a passport like you did Seabra? Probably would be a regular on the T&T strating line up  :)

Nah...he would have to score ah beavertrick in our league before we even consider dat. :devil:
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 05:05:01 PM »
Edwards is also eager to point out that Antigua and Barbuda will not be relying on the silky skills and chaplinesque improvisation that have come to be the hallmark of many Caribbean sides.

this author is a poet!!!  ;D

Ent!

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
he would be a regular in yuh bottom RF

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1]; } ?>