April 28, 2024, 09:55:50 PM

Author Topic: Nearly all Dominican women straighten their hair  (Read 22192 times)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
Re: I am NOT Black I am a latina!...STEUPS..dese people gorn thru oui!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 10:38:35 AM »
PH, it's not you ah talking to. Is the thread starter, sammy, boss. all the ones who trying to sell me swamp land in Florida.
You like a dougla or Indian and wear your hair natural, right? So is not you I talking to. Stop snatching de fever grass medicine fuh dem udda fellas fever!
Shims, doh let me take a tun in yuh tail.

Look at Bouncy! When she pass a stable dem horse does get nervous and back up!
Look Rihanna! What it is she selling at all? Yuh see she video "Umbrella"? De chile look like she wukking Baxter's Road and force ripe wid nuff nuff weave.
I bet all yuh doh have India Arie in de tread. Why? She not ugly and she wearing natural. So how come she ent qualify?

Ah make meh point yet?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 10:40:26 AM »
PH, it's not you ah talking to. Is the thread starter, sammy, boss. all the ones who trying to sell me swamp land in Florida.
You like a dougla or Indian and wear your hair natural, right? So is not you I talking to. Stop snatching de fever grass medicine fuh dem udda fellas fever!
Shims, doh let me take a tun in yuh tail.

Look at Bouncy! When she pass a stable dem horse does get nervous and back up!
Look Rihanna! What it is she selling at all? Yuh see she video "Umbrella"? De chile look like she wukking Baxter's Road and force ripe wid nuff nuff weave.
I bet all yuh doh have India Arie in de tread. Why? She not ugly and she wearing natural. So how come she ent qualify?

Ah make meh point yet?
veni nah  :P
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 10:44:22 AM »
boss as for you. I feel I have to hide meh long hair afghan dog from you and all oui...you in a class by yourself...
You doh seem to have no discrimination or standard, so what I could say? I packing up all de village ram trophy by your door.

PH, veni avec what? I doh fight unarmed people... :rotfl:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:46:39 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 10:50:04 AM »

me?  ???  ;D
i does wear my hair natural too  :'(
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 10:52:38 AM »

me?  ???  ;D
i does wear my hair natural too  :'(

Yes YOU! Ent you jump een de ting saying how you doh understand why women do these things to their hair? Ent it was you?

Yuh does post and forget?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2007, 11:07:32 AM »
Provocative. Being black and hispanic are not mutually exclusive. No one would suggest that one couldn't be - for instance - Chinese or Asian and West Indian/Caribbean. The problematics arise when culture informs identity more than race or ethnicity.

In any event, we could be a bit more understanding of the lengthy marginalization faced by African communities across the Americas if we really understood that their experience is an experience (of social distance) informed by some experiences that we escaped.

Many of us didn't know THEY existed until we started seeing ballers of African descent crop up on the football field blazing for Ecuador or Uruguay or Guatemala. What do we think they knew of us? Precious little. Add to that the linguistic barrier and it's no wonder that the state of play is as it is.

I ent old old and I ent young young and I can say with authority that the word 'black' is a fairly recent and comfortable addition to the Trini lexicon ... not too long ago its usage (by us) was to invite a serious degree of discomfort.

We living in a glass house too ... watch the stone pelting ...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 11:13:23 AM »
The problematics arise when culture informs identity more than race or ethnicity.

Wouldn't it be better if that were the case?

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 11:20:53 AM »
language and semantics is a heck of a thing...

Someone asked if African Americans pretend to be anything else but...
I've know some who claim a cherokee or some other native indian heritage in order to distance themselves. Some use skin bleaching products. One fella I heard was on a talk show begging to be made white for a day because he detested his dark skin with an abiding passion.

I've been to funtions where people assumed I was southern italian or Nova Scotian or some other thing and were fascinated to hear I was from the Caribbean. They simply did not know. Even african Canadians and americas are fascinated with this Caribbean thing to see our chinese and indian and white. An interesting ethnicity are the Austraian aborigines.

Ignorance is a heck of a thing oui.

Agreed, being latino does not presuppose a self hate as the original poster implies. They exist and it is a fact. We are often ignorant of these non African or Caribbean black folks. We barely know ourselves much less to know others.

*slaps the back of PH's head for no good reason at all on her way out*
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 11:24:03 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

truetrini

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 11:24:59 AM »
asylum, I agree that the word black wasbad in T&T but come on man dis is 2007, and dem independent long before we....dey too damn racist in dem Latin countries...look at Spain coach with he monkey comments...steups

it eh have no glass houses...is educated people making dem shit ass statements..is not like ah man or woman with less den ah high school education.

Queenie, african Americasn are a conscious bunch..dey know dey self, dat is not to say dat all ah dem fully down with de programme, but I can put meh head on de block..the majority are.

i know show white people who wish tp be black too, in fact most white people does look fuh tan!..and many white women perming dey head to get de straight out.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 11:34:42 AM »
TT I wouldn't put my head on that block you have yours on nuh...

And as for women and hair. Women are like that! All yuh doh believe me or what?

Akse yuh girlfriend or wife or sister. We want what we do not have on our heads. Straight want curly, curly want straight. That is why hairdressing shops doh close dong easy!
We are female, often illogical, often overly emotional. Our hair is a focus and cause of much emotion and energy.

Also, from a gender point of few - purely clinical, our hair is a major draw to the opposite sex. Y'all may be watching the chest and rear but the hair plays a part in the attraction.

The sisters are figuring that out nowadays. Previously, after she has spent 4 hours at the salon and $100, which man brave enough to touch a woman's hair? At the fete you could wine on a totally strange woman BUT touch her hair and is ruction. Now, with locks or twists or just natural, we are freer and more receptive to tactile effort.

Is troot. You have to accept that.

Anyway, dais is what Oprah tell me to say.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
hmmm...

I like latin women too..... :D

oops .. rong thread : :o

leh me go back to Andre's Babes oui ... :-[
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 11:54:07 AM »
The problematics arise when culture informs identity more than race or ethnicity.

Wouldn't it be better if that were the case?

dcs, it should be. But, empirical evidence suggests that we are not entirely comfortable with it ...

When blacks push 'we are latinos' ... they get fought on it (i ent have no prob wid dis) ... why? often and partially because there's a typical suspicion that it's wrapped up in self-hatred ... the hair scenario can serve as exhibit A pointing in that direction ...

Lemme ask this ... can you hate yuhself without knowing it? I suggest 'yes'

Ever reason with a black saudi or kuwaiti? when he pushing his i am an arab head to the exclusion of i am a black man head he too getting a fight ... now in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia that may be a more pragmatic and defensible position but for those of us witness to the western experience, it may be an affront in the context of 'bredda yuh living here, yuh blind?"...

Granted, if we had more 'Black Arabs' in the West this example would be more obvious, but say wha ... at the same time, just because he's pushing that head may not signify self-hatred ... it may signify lack of relevance in his world or it may signify ignorance ... one culture may choose to emphasize race, another may choose to de-emphasize it ... both are usually done in the interest of social cohesion ...

Hatem Trabelsi (Tunisia) or Mohammed Al-Deayea (Saudi Arabia), both phenotypically black players may come out differently on this issue ... one has extensive playing experience in Europe, the other not ... I used to play with a black Kuwaiti who 'got it' ... maybe he 'got it' when he played in Bulgarian Second Div or maybe he 'got it' here later ... personally, I was happier that he 'got it' period!

To answer more directly: problematic because our expectations influence the outcomes ... perhaps culture and race/ethnicity should inform on a more equal footing
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 11:57:13 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
eh?

;D

truetrini

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »
eh?

;D

Queenie, yuh go learn dat asylum is we resident intellectual..doh di nutten he bright fuh days and is ah real cool fella.

lol

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 12:12:02 PM »
This issue will continue for some time to come. Racial pride moves at different paces in different countries. What I've noticed is that in most English and French speaking Caribbean countries there tends to be more of an acceptance of our African features and African standards of beauty(but not totally). We don't seem to mind so much dating a woman with dreads, or a dark skin woman or one with big/full lips etc. In the Spanish speaking countries (not just the ones in the Caribbean) there is less of an acceptance of that, except maybe in Cuba.

I believe as time goes on that mindset of nonacceptance of our Africanesss will disappear. It just takes time. As the article said, there is a political and historical aspect to this issue. The Dominican Rep has way too many Black people for this to continue indefinitely.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 12:13:13 PM »
I ent say nutting, I jes take out meh plate to rinse it...

ay ay...

to besides, intellectuals is meh favoritest people eh? De way dey does use dem multisylabbles wid ease and ting in de middle of a ole talk does well have me fascinate..

*pokes asylum in the ribs*

ent?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
i wonder in DR woman is shave downstairs?

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2007, 01:06:29 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
gosh...if is dem confused black one ah hoep so...or at least invest in a lil bottle ha relaxer
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
"black" is a relative term.  Mean one thing one place and another thing somewhere else.
In some places it come like treason not to accept u black if u mixed....seem like in DR is the opposite.

U are what u are....race/ethnic composition not better or worse than any other...u just have whatever.

Same way people should not be shame no need to be overly proud...ah talking about overly proud to the point of boastful because it kinda insinuates the others not as good(check history).  Infinite pride in your heritage yes but with some humility and appreciation that u still equal and not annoying people in your day to day life......u are what u are and u happy with that....u even happy with what others are  Dat even go beyond race.

I don't see anything wrong with infinite pride in culture and pushing that hard.  Most times people appreciate that because they want to learn and not always in contact with it day to day cuz it might be cross border or cross-regional.

On another note.  Doing all kinda "unnatural" things to appearance might actually indicate a greater level of comfort in self-identity.  Just depends on the motivation behind it...I find plenty French influenced ....armmm.....blacks do all kinda crazy stuff and it definitely doh come across like identity problems....quite the opposite.

truetrini

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 01:25:21 PM »
"black" is a relative term.  Mean one thing one place and another thing somewhere else.
In some places it come like treason not to accept u black if u mixed....seem like in DR is the opposite.

U are what u are....race/ethnic composition not better or worse than any other...u just have whatever.

Same way people should not be shame no need to be overly proud...ah talking about overly proud to the point of boastful because it kinda insinuates the others not as good(check history).  Infinite pride in your heritage yes but with some humility and appreciation that u still equal and not annoying people in your day to day life......u are what u are and u happy with that....u even happy with what others are  Dat even go beyond race.

I don't see anything wrong with infinite pride in culture and pushing that hard.  Most times people appreciate that because they want to learn and not always in contact with it day to day cuz it might be cross border or cross-regional.

On another note.  Doing all kinda "unnatural" things to appearance might actually indicate a greater level of comfort in self-identity.  Just depends on the motivation behind it...I find plenty French influenced ....armmm.....blacks do all kinda crazy stuff and it definitely doh come across like identity problems....quite the opposite.

For instance dat one drop of white blood ting..steups..no need fuh more dan a steups dey.

Then if dem was doing like Tiger is one ting, becasue de man clamin he mooder race..but dem old hard back black people saying dey is Indian doh make no sense.

I know nuff black people who claim to have cherokee blood etc...guess what...if yuh know US History that is plenty true in many, many cases.

back to de culture issue...dem eh have no culture to talk about..dem is chirren/descendants of AFRICAN SLAVES!  dey eh comfortable in dey own skin, becasue SOCIETY dey make dem second class...dat is de real issue..dey want to get rid ah de fact dat Haitians run riot over dem and had ruled dem fuh many years...imagine dat..dese old dutty black haitians ruling we of lighter hue.

steups.

Read de article again and see dat .  dem blacker dan coal and coasting saying dem is indian and dem white...oh Gard.

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »

I would also like to know.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2007, 01:29:50 PM »

I would also like to know.
some shave it clean.i does trim mine too,it does tickle they nose.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »
Read de article again and see dat .  dem blacker dan coal and coasting saying dem is indian and dem white...oh Gard.

yea I not disputing the case in DR because if I were to believe the article their motivation based on NOT wanting to be something for status, shame etc.  I was being more general.

For DR I want to hear another side because I know there have been things said about T&T that gave a skewed view and it made a lot of us unhappy.  Like saying we have bitter race issues or that dumb JFK thing.

The article only represent one side and no problem with that...i just doh have anything else to go on so if a counter article to this come out somebody should post it.  Allyuh personal accounts help   :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »
back to de culture issue...dem eh have no culture to talk about..dem is chirren/descendants of AFRICAN SLAVES!

TT, I will leave it for someone else to tackle yuh on this comment ... it might be worthy of some clarification because ah seeing about 20 red flags in meh rear view mirror wid that one ... I know wha yuh mean eh, but yuh see how it may be subject to condemnation ... fortunately is you and not Sat Maharaj say so???

On another note.  Doing all kinda "unnatural" things to appearance might actually indicate a greater level of comfort in self-identity.

dcs, I agree with this fully ... although I single it out for comment your full post weighty same way ...

So maybe a penchant for blue or green contacts or bleached hair can mean comfort to de max and not self-hatred ... then again it could mean Dennis Rodman is a role model ... say wha ... not entirely far-fetched.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »
[quote]back to de culture issue...dem eh have no culture to talk about..dem is chirren/descendants of AFRICAN SLAVES!

TT,

so then trinidadians have no culture???
americans eh have no culture??
non aboriginal australians have no culture??
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 05:32:08 PM by PH »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2007, 05:59:50 PM »
dcs, see here for yuh article eh:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/misctopic/dominican/antihaiti.htm

TT crediting meh fuh channelling meh CLR and Queen M'meh poking meh in meh ribs and a ticklish bad so - tempting as it is - I go leave yuh to yuh solitary read ... but if nuttin else, check the antihaitianismo in Dominican culture section ... it is enlightening (no pun intended) ...

My hands full and a feeling like a psychic in a whore house ...  ;D

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 06:55:05 PM »
Steups, so is NOT de woman, is de man and dem, is dem who making de woman feel dey unattractive..so dem going thru dat shit!

100% correct.

in argentina is de opposite they consider themselves caucasian,to me and de rest of de world they are latin.

Doesn't seem to be opposite to me.

More like the same thing. Trying to move up the colour ladder.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

truetrini

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »
back to de culture issue...dem eh have no culture to talk about..dem is chirren/descendants of AFRICAN SLAVES!

TT, I will leave it for someone else to tackle yuh on this comment ... it might be worthy of some clarification because ah seeing about 20 red flags in meh rear view mirror wid that one ... I know wha yuh mean eh, but yuh see how it may be subject to condemnation ... fortunately is you and not Sat Maharaj say so???

On another note.  Doing all kinda "unnatural" things to appearance might actually indicate a greater level of comfort in self-identity.

dcs, I agree with this fully ... although I single it out for comment your full post weighty same way ...

So maybe a penchant for blue or green contacts or bleached hair can mean comfort to de max and not self-hatred ... then again it could mean Dennis Rodman is a role model ... say wha ... not entirely far-fetched.

yow ah glad yuh know what ah meant so let me say it fuh those who eh get it.

dem eh have no other culture dan that of Africans..de rest is ah borrow becasue dey ashamd ah dey race!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 07:18:35 PM »

yow ah glad yuh know what ah meant so let me say it fuh those who eh get it.

dem eh have no other culture dan that of Africans..de rest is ah borrow becasue dey ashamd ah dey race!
pardon my ignorance...but i still eh see where u comign from. de rest is a borrow because they ashamed??? ???

1]; } ?>