April 29, 2024, 01:14:19 AM

Author Topic: Nearly all Dominican women straighten their hair  (Read 22195 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I am NOT Black I am a latina!...STEUPS..dese people gorn thru oui!
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2007, 10:31:48 PM »
 Ah end up in a club in Nuremburg (Taxi Manni take mih dere).
 All de entertainment was ah kinda zouk music an Dominican ladies.
It had one calling mih pappie all night she was swweeeet. She could be any color she want to be.  ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »
"a psychic in a whore house"

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2007, 09:21:12 AM »
This is very common in Latin America.  Just a few weeks ago I was in Caracas.  I saw a maid in the hotel who was clearly black and we started talking.  I then asked her in Spanish, "How is life for Black people in Venzuela?"  She looked at me with shock and said, "I don't know sir.  I am morena (brown/mixed), not Negra (black)."

I done the talk dey one time.

She is dark-skinned.  Not even wavy hair.  Broad nose.  African features galore.  But she is brown, not black.  I just steups.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:48:06 AM by Jahyouth »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »
yes jahyouth....u are very on point with that.  some of them will faster call themselves morena or mulata.   it is strange though b/c in dominican republic, what u will find is that "white" dominican women will be going after dark skinned "black" men.   i

truetrini

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »
http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/index.html

dem too damn stupid...black people eh.  steups...ah nearly use ah word ah want banned!

steups

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »
well dis is my contribution.  me eh know about allyuh man but i doh want to be grabbing yuh head   and feeling anything but scalp and hair, whether it straight, curly, hard, soft, none, dreads...whatever as long as it real.  oh...no jeri curl doh!  so ah fellah send ah message fuh me de other day to call him cause is months he trying to get my number but the person not giving it.  so he say call him so i syudying well...he eh terrible looking, might be a nice guy, so ah start tuh ask some questions...yuh know nuh...what he like and ting.  next ting yuh know i hear the MAN have weave.  allyuh hearing me well?   :rotfl: :rotfl: i say nah nah nah nah nah!!!!  he could stay right there.  he more high maintenance than me?!  NO EH?!  and a man with a weave???!!!  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:   first i heard ah dat but now ah does be real watching man head to look fuh de stitchin at the scalp.  dat scare meh yes. 

"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 04:18:27 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: Chatter No! Yuh lie girl!!
 :rotfl: :rotfl: oh shims

but girl it have fellas in de salon too. Some men when dey getting bald does do some tings girl...LOL!!

Rogaine selling out!

oh shims...
We are amused...

truetrini

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2007, 07:09:47 PM »

Yara Matos holds her hair extensions as a stylist in the Herrera neighborhood prepares to give her the look of long, straight hair. (Candace Barbot/Miami Herald)Black denial
Nearly all Dominican women straighten their hair, which experts say is a direct result of a historical learned rejection of all things black
[/b]

http://www.miamiherald.com/multimedia/news/afrolatin/part2/index.html

Dat is what ah mean when ah say dem eh have no culture..dey reject dem culture so now what do they have?

steups.

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: Chatter No! Yuh lie girl!!
 :rotfl: :rotfl: oh shims

gurl!  i eh lie yuh know!  i had was tuh pick mehself off de floor after dey buss dat on meh yuh know!   :rotfl: :rotfl:  i mus be laugh fuh three days after dat.  and ah real cuss de person too.  how de a## you doh know me well enough tuh know dat i not, under any circumstances, on no man wit no weave!!!   de ting is he not balding...is pure style....kill he dead dead yes!  :rotfl: :rotfl:
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
no but Chatter, you coulda still give de fella at lease one date doh. Yuh not fair. Den when all yuh coming home akse he to take de Lady Young Road by de lookout. All yuh get out de car and admire de view. If he weave could hold up against dat stiff breeze den yuh could akse he please to recommend yuh to he hairdresser. Yuh done know she work good.

But if you look back and yuh see de weave flapping yuh know she din stitch it good.

:rotfl: :rotfl: but no man. I here killing mehself laughing. I cah stand dem ting at all. Den imagine in dat heat dong dey, he head muss be real ranking by 12 noon.

Yuh muss akse he if he know a fella name Dutty...ah see WC post Dutty snap. Dutty wearing on a halter-back afro oui.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2007, 07:50:09 PM »

Yara Matos holds her hair extensions as a stylist in the Herrera neighborhood prepares to give her the look of long, straight hair. (Candace Barbot/Miami Herald)Black denial
Nearly all Dominican women straighten their hair, which experts say is a direct result of a historical learned rejection of all things black
[/b]

Dat is what ah mean when ah say dem eh have no culture..dey reject dem culture so now what do they have?

steups.

tt, that seem to be a very static concept of culture being used - like an historical notion of culture where it is something one inherits but evidently cannot interact with or contribute to. an individual has no choice in their inherited culture but choice in what culture they choose to adopt. if they in DR, speaking (and thinking) in spanish instead of creole, playing baseball instead of football, what should they consider their culture to be?

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2007, 08:30:29 PM »
I just come ,with my 2 cents ....Am ..but u know how hard it is to pick up a real natural black lady ! First they really kinda proper ,and if u tink they loney ,them is have they man ..who chances are much bigger than you .Is alrite .
Plus me einèt spending all my money to buy weed for no rasta girl ,u know how much thay is smoke !.

truetrini

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2007, 10:02:24 PM »

[/b]

steups.

tt, that seem to be a very static concept of culture being used - like an historical notion of culture where it is something one inherits but evidently cannot interact with or contribute to. an individual has no choice in their inherited culture but choice in what culture they choose to adopt. if they in DR, speaking (and thinking) in spanish instead of creole, playing baseball instead of football, what should they consider their culture to be?

these people have a choice....dem choose to reject thheir ancestry and heritage...i have no respect for them   trinis does speak english, but we far from being english.  language is one thing...knowing yuh history, embracing it...is annoder
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:03:58 PM by truetrini »

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »
no but Chatter, you coulda still give de fella at lease one date doh.
Arm...no no no no no no no no no!   :shameonyou:  den next ting yuh know he only calling meh.  nah nah nah nah.   

But if you look back and yuh see de weave flapping yuh know she din stitch it good.

woman, look nuh...i killing mehself here.  you could imagine nobody tell me nothing about the weave and i go out with he, a stiff breeze take him in truth and i see one setta stichin or catch a whiff?  i would not have been able to hold back from laughing yuh know...in serious yuh know.

Yuh muss akse he if he know a fella name Dutty...ah see WC post Dutty snap. Dutty wearing on a halter-back afro oui.

ah see it!!!   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  WC yuh too idle yes!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2007, 06:37:57 AM »
ah see it!!!   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  WC yuh too idle yes!
:whistling:  Dutty kno ah weak, i could not resist oui ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:53:25 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2007, 09:21:45 PM »
This is very common in Latin America.  Just a few weeks ago I was in Caracas.  I saw a maid in the hotel who was clearly black and we started talking.  I then asked her in Spanish, "How is life for Black people in Venzuela?"  She looked at me with shock and said, "I don't know sir.  I am morena (brown/mixed), not Negra (black)."

I done the talk dey one time.

She is dark-skinned.  Not even wavy hair.  Broad nose.  African features galore.  But she is brown, not black.  I just steups.

Jah I think that perhaps you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion in this situation. In Latin America the word "moreno(a)" is used to refer to Black people. The word "negro" although it translate from Spanish to English as "Black" it really means "nigger"in Latin America. Essentially she was saying that she isn't a nigger but rather Black. There is a difference between literral translations and what is understood by certain terms.
Peace
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2007, 08:56:13 AM »

so ya hair no matter how long, short of curly or straight it is, makes who you are ?

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »

so ya hair no matter how long, short of curly or straight it is, makes who you are ?

Ma used to tell me a woman's hair tells you who she is...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2007, 01:01:43 PM »

Ma used to tell me a woman's hair tells you who she is...

Maybe Ma is right in ah way, but i somewhat believe if ya feel to straighten ya hair...could only mean its much more managable. If ya feel to braid it, is because ya ain't have time to comb it on mornings, if ya like it short, one brush and ya gone.

anyway,

I was listening to a song..sang by Indie Arie..."i am not my hair"
good lyrics girl..

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
some people say we ladies lorsing we mystique and intuition wid all dis chemical we pack up in we head.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »
I Am Not My Hair
India Arie

Little girl with the press and curl
Age eight I got a Jheri curl
Thirteen I got a relaxer
I was a source of so much laughter
At fifteen when it all broke off
Eighteen and went all natural
February two thousand and two
I went and did
What I had to do
Because it was time to change my life
To become the women that I am inside
Ninety-seven dreadlock all gone
I looked in the mirror
For the first time and saw that HEY....

*[Chorus]*
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations no no
I am not my hair
I ma not this skin
I am a soul that lives within

*[Talking:]*
What'd she do to her hair? I don't know it look crazy
I like it. I might do that.
Umm I wouldn't go that far. I know .. ha ha ha ha

*[Verse 2]*
Good hair means curls and waves
Bad hair means you look like a slave
At the turn of the century
Its time for us to redefine who we be
You can shave it off
Like a South African beauty
Or get in on lock
Like Bob Marley
You can rock it straight
Like Oprah Winfrey
If its not what's on your head
Its what's underneath and say HEY....

*[Chorus]*

*[Bridge]*
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair make me a better person?
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair make me a better friend? Oooh
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair determine my integrity?
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
I am expressing my creativity..
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)

*[Verse 3]*
Breast Cancer and Chemotherapy
Took away her crown and glory
She promised God if she was to survive
She would enjoy everyday of her life ooh
On national television
Her diamond eyes are sparkling
Bald headed like a full moon shining
Singing out to the whole wide world like HEY...

*[Chorus 2x]*

*[Ad lib]*
If I wanna shave it close
Or if I wanna rock locks
That don't take a bit away
From the soul that I got
Dat da da dat da *[4x]*
If I wanna where it braided
All down my back
I don't see what wrong with that
Dat da da dat da *[4x]*

*[Talking:]*
Is that India.Arie?
Ooh look she cut her hair!
I like that, its kinda PHAT
I don't know if I could do it.
But it looks sharp, it looks nice on her
She got a nice shaped head
She got an apple head
I know right?
It's perfect.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2007, 03:44:03 AM »
dcs i owe you a drink....

thanks for dat :beermug:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2007, 03:53:36 AM »
It's not only in Latin America where black ppl hate their blackness, even though they might make up for the majority that suffer from that sickness, right in T&T yuh could find that in abundance, talking from nuff experience too. i met nuff trini's who hate their blackness. why yuh think they give Grenadians such a hard way to go in trini, i used to attribute it to the way they talk , but after further evaluation i came to the conclusion it was the way they looked as well. Grenadians are more so afro centric than T&T BC of the different cultures in trini that most of the islands lack, which in turn created a menagerie of ppl as opposed to any other english speaking Caribbean island. i for one attribute this self loathing behavior to slavery and colonialism especially the colonial masters in Spanish and Portuguese colonies.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         British and American society were more exclusive than their Iberian counterparts when it came to interacting with their slaves. the Spaniards were more willing to assimilate their former slave into Spanish society rather than their english speaking counterparts, who didn't allow blood mixing or ties of friendship between white and former slaves. they also didn't allow them to assimilate into their society but treated and classed them as sub human. in Spanish colonies they held a differant view, former slaves could be classed as regular citizens but at the bottom of the totem pole, the closer you are to white the the better are your chances of being accepted in the ranks of the elite. you must remember that spain was concured by the moores for 9 hundred yrs, so they had much more of an admiration for black ppl than any other slave traders, knowing the great contributions the moores had made in europe and in spain it self. if in doubt get moores in spain ,(by stanley poole) or African presents in early europe by ( ivan vansertima). every year in spain they celebrate a pilgrimage to a shrine of the Madonna and child, which starts with a procession in the streets. guess what colour the Christ child and his mother are? BLACK AS THE BLACKEST POLISH WITH COURSE AFRICAN HAIR, and you should see how much white ppl were rushing and trampling each other to get a touch of the statue.   positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2007, 05:24:47 AM »
It's not only in Latin America where black ppl hate their blackness, even though they might make up for the majority that suffer from that sickness, right in T&T yuh could find that in abundance, talking from nuff experience too. i met nuff trini's who hate their blackness. why yuh think they give Grenadians such a hard way to go in trini, i used to attribute it to the way they talk , but after further evaluation i came to the conclusion it was the way they looked as well. Grenadians are more so afro centric than T&T BC of the different cultures in trini that most of the islands lack, which in turn created a menagerie of ppl as opposed to any other english speaking Caribbean island. i for one attribute this self loathing behavior to slavery and colonialism especially the colonial masters in Spanish and Portuguese colonies.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         British and American society were more exclusive than their Iberian counterparts when it came to interacting with their slaves. the Spaniards were more willing to assimilate their former slave into Spanish society rather than their english speaking counterparts, who didn't allow blood mixing or ties of friendship between white and former slaves. they also didn't allow them to assimilate into their society but treated and classed them as sub human. in Spanish colonies they held a differant view, former slaves could be classed as regular citizens but at the bottom of the totem pole, the closer you are to white the the better are your chances of being accepted in the ranks of the elite. you must remember that spain was concured by the moores for 9 hundred yrs, so they had much more of an admiration for black ppl than any other slave traders, knowing the great contributions the moores had made in europe and in spain it self. if in doubt get moores in spain ,(by stanley poole) or African presents in early europe by ( ivan vansertima). every year in spain they celebrate a pilgrimage to a shrine of the Madonna and child, which starts with a procession in the streets. guess what colour the Christ child and his mother are? BLACK AS THE BLACKEST POLISH WITH COURSE AFRICAN HAIR, and you should see how much white ppl were rushing and trampling each other to get a touch of the statue.   positive.

yuh preaching brother!  Yuh telling de absolute truth.

Iwas in T&T for the T&T versus Bahrain game and dem light coloured trinis had dem own section in de stands....dey own fricking section that was lighter than de rest ah de national stadium.

de same dynamic was observed when i took the boat to Tobago fuh de jazz festival...dey had dey own frealing section.

Birds of a feather flock together.  look at certain carnival bands and see de same ting.  And as for the Spanish and Portuguese, yuh right, de english were very aloof, when there was a shortage of white women in dem colonies, de spanish and portuguese take black wives...de english jes sex de womn, but never married dem, oh de shame!  lol

anyway, black self loathing is much more pronounced and evidenced in latin america dan de west indies.   but dat is not to say it eh existing right in we own front yard!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2007, 08:12:20 AM »

That's why I love my hometown, founded by Grenadians. They are hardworking,loyal and family oriented. Very proud folks too. ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2007, 11:51:07 AM »

TT are you talking about Trini Possee?

If so then it is more economics and geography than race IMHO but yuh hadda clarify who you talking about first (if you know)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2007, 11:54:12 AM »
That's why I love my hometown, founded by Grenadians. They are hardworking,loyal and family oriented. Very proud folks too. ;D
Very Good Point Man ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2007, 12:14:13 PM »
dcs, lehwe assume that it's Trini Posse ... what say you? Very curious.

If so then it is more economics and geography than race IMHO but yuh hadda clarify who you talking about first (if you know)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2007, 01:34:01 PM »

If it is Trini Possee then I'd say I'm not so sure they are "segregating" on the basis of race or skin colour.  It's like saying any group that has some feature is segregating on that basis....or even something similar to the arguments that the national team is selected on the basis of race.

But I really want to know if that is who he talking about before we go down that road.

truetrini

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2007, 05:27:55 PM »

so is only light skinned trinis who have money?

Nah it is segregation!  Plain and simple.

doh make no excuses..here every creed and race find an equal place.

why de trini posse..if indeed dem is de trini posse not a true representation of what trinidad really looks like?

things to make you go mmmmmm.

and anyway, like to join trini posse yuh have to be light skinned?

den where is my membership?

1]; } ?>