April 18, 2024, 06:11:20 PM

Author Topic: Some thoughts from Coach Rene Simoes  (Read 4167 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Some thoughts from Coach Rene Simoes
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »
Is there anything we can learn?

Some thoughts from coach Rene Simoes
Jamaica Observer

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dear Jamaicans,

ON this first contact with you, I'd like to thank all who have showed me support and friendship upon my arrival, and even before I landed on the island.

However, since my arrival, I've heard a few comments that have concerned me. These were loving comments, but dangerous ones considering the arduous job we have ahead of us in order to reach South Africa 2010.
Some of the comments were:

"Simoes is back, now we'll qualify again." "He's the man. Now we have a complete package; Captain Burrell, Horace Reid, and Rene Simoes, We're ready. The messiah is back."

It is obvious that, as a human being with many faults and some egocentricity, these statements make me happy. They are signs that I represent something to some people. But the truth is, that I don't agree with any of these affirmations.
We did not qualify to France '98 due to individual work, nor due to the work of a select few.

Our qualifying for France 1998 was the result of the sum of quality, the incredible Jamaican potential, and the unifying of a nation in the pursuit of a common objective.
Captain Horace Burrell, Horace Reid, the members of the JFF and myself, were only the catalysts of a people and their potential.

The reason I was so worried about all the comments I heard is I am certain I am like the second man in this story. I don't say this to look conceited. This is just the only way I know how to work, and I believe that success only has any value if it is achieved this way.

The first time I came to "Jamaica Land We Love", it was due to Captain Burrell's refusal to take no for an answer. This time around it is different. I wanted to come.
I'm here now because I believe in the Jamaican potential to achieve things when united. I'm here because I believe in the great Jamaican internal strenght, something I'm yet to see in many nations, including my own.

Jamaicans have a hard time working collectively and my experience has shown that this is a cultural aspect.
Jamaicans are brought up to be proud individuals. When I arrived here in 1994, I went to a game and gave an interview in which I said the teams looked like teams of seals. There were eleven on each side, but each player only played for himself like in a circus. I've never seen a seal throw the ball to another.

My first order of business will be assessing and diagnosing Jamaican football's present situation. Then I will draw up a plan with strategies to take us to South Africa in 2010. I think the programme should be called: "Goal: South Africa 2010 and Beyond".

We must create a new Reggae Boyz fever. A few days ago I read an article by my friend, Tony Becca, that worried me. He wrote about the lack of public attendance at sporting events of all types. The sad reality is that if we don't start giving more value to our sports, then we will lose our children and youngsters to computers.

We must go back to playing 25 games a year. This will not only give the team more experience and market value to local players, but it will also turn players into ambassadors for this country that will bring great rewards for the country's entertainment and tourism industries.

When it's time to select players for the various teams, selection will not necessarily be based on the best players, but by the strongest and most suitable for the family.

In order to strenghthen this family spirit, we must have a house for the players. We can renovate the one we already have, and try and get another. We definatly cannot stay in hotels.

Also we will have to make sure that all the administrative departments of the federation work at the highest level of excellence. At this stage, there is no room for administrative mistakes.

I was very happy to hear that Leighton McNight and Gary Synclair would be taking over the financial aspects of the federation. This is a sign that there will be credibility and transparency on our journey.

All the sponsors of the Road to France project collected their dues. All were winners. The performance of some industry employees improved due to their contribution to the programme. The workers felt pride and that improved their performances. This was told to me by a high executive at GraceKennedy. Running a programme of this magnitude does not come cheap, and it is only possible with the co-operation of the private sector. This cannot be the sole responsibility of the government, but their participation is also essential.

It is necessary that the media feel equally responsible for the success or failure of the programme.

May God, in his infinite goodness, fill us with the wisdom and humility to recognise that, with Him, nothing is impossible.

Yours truly,
Rene Simoes

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Some thoughts from Coach Rene Simoes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 05:03:11 AM »
There is a touch of elegant humility in Simoes. I can't help but be impressed by the statement, albeit just words at this point.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:42 AM »
shithongs.....  out..
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:52:52 AM »
There is a touch of elegant humility in Simoes. I can't help but be impressed by the statement, albeit just words at this point.

Simoes is more than just a coach, the man has a way of getting into people's heads. what he achieved with Jamaica in 1998 was nothing short of a miracle, something that will be very hard to repeat a second time, but something that I am sure he will get the players and nation into believing that we can do again.  This "letter" written by simoes is reaching out to the entire football fraternity, from players, to federation, to sponsors. The likes of Bora Milutinovic, Sebastiao Lazaroni, all high profile coaches in their own rights, were unable to reach out to the wider Jamaica football fraternity like Simoes has. for that alone, I say simoes is worth every penny of the US$50K per month the JFF is paying him. I hope he remains with Jamaica beyond 2010.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:55:07 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline rick titus

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:35:46 AM »
This is what you call LEADERSHIP! I have always been impressed by the fact that Simoes is in touch with what is really important in qualifying, and that is UNITY!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 05:42:23 AM »

Sound like ah cover yuh ass statement to me.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 06:38:32 AM »

to some xtent yes, but wat i realising with great coaches( and in short great leaders) they all seem to have done  ah crash course in  psychology  you have to be able to get into to ppl heads appeal to their emotions a nd d man start off quite well as far as i can see
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »
yea miracle worker..... just bring bout 11 britz... miracle boy

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:18:56 AM »
yea miracle worker..... just bring bout 11 britz... miracle boy

:rotfl:  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »
I wouldn't dismiss this statement lightly. It reflects an understanding of the environment he's working in and a genuine respect/love for Jamaica. Ah mean, the JFF and any random fan would know that there are tensions surrounding the game. Oftentime constituencies become so polarised and locked into positions and methods of operating that the big picture gets lost or subsumed in the mix ...

Notice the question royalian posed ahead of the article ... 'Is there anything we can learn'? I would be in the camp saying 'YES"! That's the value of the article.

RF, someone with Simoes mandate should engage the full range of stakeholders ... there is this misguided belief that it's extra-curricular for managers to do so. I disagree. If we examine the record of some very successful mgrs we'll see that organizational change and buying into their philosophy and vision have been automatic parts of how they regard their role. Simoes is doing the 'active listening' thing. He'll do his part, it's up to the stakeholders to respond.

Bora is a mercenary (or perceived to be so in some quarters) ... he comes in and works with whatever platform you have going. He may make adjustments suiting his purpose but largely he's never gonna be the guy to effect radical change. That's just not how he appears to view his role. Even if he takes an expansive view he certainly makes sure that he's compensated for all the bullshit he's likely to face to achieve incremental change. Cyah really blame him because he wasn't the gatekeeper of Yard football. The JFF was.

There is a reason these guys are called managers.
Certainly there are clubs in the world that have a platform and it's up to the mgr to flex within the platform ... sometimes even if the mgr has been there for a very long time he still can't exercise authority over the process.

Having said that, I am hesitant to equate national ball platforms with club ball platforms for reasons many of us know.

I believe mgrs entering nations in which football is becoming part of the development and capacity building infrastructure face the reality as set forth by Simoes all the time ... whether they are able to be dynamic actors and participants in the process depends on what the federation sees as priority or luxury and on the individual's ability to penetrate the local web.

Some of the names Simoes has mentioned go right to the heart of showing that he has returned for insight to a base established 10 years ago. This is an intriguing post because we still have many similar questions to ask and answer (and demands to impose) with regard to football/sport vis-a-vis our national development.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:42:06 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
P>S. The best way to cover your ass is to do your job.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

Actually, this is nothing new from Simoes. During his first stint, Simoes had a weekly (or was it forthnigthly) column in one of the local papers where he would "address" the nation on football matters. I recall him even appointing a psychologist, and a church Minister to travel with the team on the trips when they play away during the  "Road to France" campaign. I am not surprised one bit that The Burrell administration Saw Simoes as a better fit for Jamaica's football over Bora Milutinovic.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:10:01 PM by Reggaefan »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
shithongs   ... ALLYUH GOING NOWHERE

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 06:18:02 AM »

Actually, this is nothing new from Simoes. During his first stint, Simoes had a weekly (or was it forthnigthly) column in one of the local papers where he would "address" the nation on football matters. I recall him even appointing a psychologist, and a church Minister to travel with the team on the trips when they play away during the  "Road to France" campaign. I am not surprised one bit that The Burrell administration Saw Simoes as a better fit for Jamaica's football over Bora Milutinovic.

Even worse, he covering his ass because of the dysfunctional, pshycotic Jamaican players and by extension fans.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »
Simoes is the man with a golden tongue. some say he has a genuine love for Jamaica. so be it, far from me to say if this is true. But remember his flowery letters in the Express when he was in charge of T&T. How he had always admired the talent of T&T & he felt T&T had the best players in the Caribbean. Simoes is a well travelled coach and knows what to say & more important, what people want to hear. I always get a smile when I read his writings, the man have real lyrics.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 08:00:30 AM »

Even worse, he covering his ass because of the dysfunctional, pshycotic Jamaican players and by extension fans.

Psychotic fans and players? Dysfunctional? You are out of touch with reality in the football world. I suppose the T&T players have low expectations of what they can achieve, and by extension you the fan have an even lower expectation of what your team can do. Look man, we believe we have players to match the best in CONCACAF, and we expect them, to qualify for the world cup. Call me Psychotic if you want. When 20K fans turned up to see Jamaica beat El Salvador 3-0 recently, they didnt turn up expedcting to see their national team lose...They turned up tyo see them throw a cut arse on El Salvador...guess what, the psychotic fans got their wish.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »

Psychotic fans and players? Dysfunctional? You are out of touch with reality in the football world. I suppose the T&T players have low expectations of what they can achieve, and by extension you the fan have an even lower expectation of what your team can do. Look man, we believe we have players to match the best in CONCACAF, and we expect them, to qualify for the world cup. Call me Psychotic if you want. When 20K fans turned up to see Jamaica beat El Salvador 3-0 recently, they didnt turn up expedcting to see their national team lose...They turned up tyo see them throw a cut arse on El Salvador...guess what, the psychotic fans got their wish.

Yada Yada Yada. The phsycosis is when allyuh lose against Bahamas.
Simoes would be able to talk about God's will and how nice a country Jamaica is without being shot.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »

Simoes would be able to talk about God's will and how nice a country Jamaica is without being shot.
True dat! True dat!
Bahamas will knock Jamaica of the World Cup qualifiers over the first leg. ;) ::)
jjbrown

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 10:03:36 AM »
You beat El Salvador 3-0, why didn't you do that when it counted last qualifers. Both El Salvador and Panama sent you home.....

Dont sleep on friendly games.....

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
You beat El Salvador 3-0, why didn't you do that when it counted last qualifers. Both El Salvador and Panama sent you home.....

Dont sleep on friendly games.....

Why didnt we beat El Salvador or Panama in Kingston? good question.  One day you are struggling to beat El Salvador in Kingston, the next day you are clobbering them by all of three goals in San Salvador.

But thats the nature of the game....

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »

Shot? What does that have to do with football? If Simoes were able to get out of Trinidad without being kidnapped, then I dare say he has a very good chance of getting out of Jamaica without being shot. See my point?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
Ricardo Brown....The stone that the builder refused...  shithongs

leroy

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »
wonder if you guys know that Goatemala and el salvador are much better team than Bahamas?
Jamaica will not loose to Bahamas in two games,you guys can forget that..
likewise I am not expecting Trinidad to loose v Bermuda/cayman.
Noway...You guys have eight months before the real action start i.e

Jamaica is going to show there class v Bahamas in kingston on June 14 no doubt.

:beermug:

leroy

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
wonder if you guys know that Goatemala and el salvador are much better team than Bahamas?
Noway...You guys have ten months before the real action start i.e nov 19

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 05:20:52 PM »
Noway...You guys have eight months before the real action start i.e

I'm sure you said the same thing when you played Panama and El Salvador in your last qualifers. And St Vincent in the Digicel Cup. But it wasn't so...

Stop bragging and start playing.

leroy

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 07:06:13 PM »
sando your desire is for me to brag so you could get more reason why  yYou want jamaica to loose.
anyhow you are going to be torn up when you realized that your Group does not consist of st.kitts and st. vincent.Yes you guys are going split them boyz from Bermuda or cayman rare end,
but come Nov 19 you are most certainly going to be in deep $h!t when there is a big wake up call that Jamaica have a Chance vs Honduras and the odds are favorable for the reggaeboyz to do them. :)    what would you think and how would you feel ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:31:41 PM by leroy »

1]; } ?>