April 18, 2024, 06:41:29 PM

Author Topic: Clarke: Keane kills Cats confidence  (Read 1587 times)

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Clarke: Keane kills Cats confidence
« on: January 11, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »
http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1765_3030308,00.html

With the Black Cats firmly entrenched in the battle to beat the drop from the Premier League, the Irishman's powers of motivation will need to be at their sharpest between now and the season's conclusion.

The former Manchester United skipper's calm-headed demeanour on the touchline is in stark contrast to his snarling presence as a player, but Clarke has claimed his polished persona is very much a facade.

Clarke, facing a battle to return to the game after suffering a heart attack whilst on loan at Leicester, claims his manager is refusing to speak to the players as Sunderland's form continues to falter.

And the defender doubts whether the Irishman will be able to deal with standards that drop below his exacting own.

In comments reported in the Daily Telegraph that initially appeared in the Sunday Independent, Clarke said: "I spoke to him a couple of times at the club and he rang me when it (Clarke's heart attack) happened which was nice of him, but we're not very pally so there's no real reason to speak to one another.

"I probably speak to him more than the players who train there every day even now. He's going around booting chairs and throwing things. He's never going to give you confidence, he doesn't talk to lads.

"If the lads at Man United couldn't reach the standards he wanted, and they're some of the best players in the world, then it's going to be a lot harder for the lads at Sunderland to reach them
."

Keane's response on Sky Sports at a team press conference was that, Clarke only played under him 2 or 3 times and that
'that will be dealt with in house..trust me.'
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:17:11 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Re: Clarke: Keane kills Cats confidence
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
wow......that wasnt the impression Dwight  , Carlos and Kenwyn gave tho...was it?

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »
wow......that wasnt the impression Dwight  , Carlos and Kenwyn gave tho...was it?

yea, well the convention is to keep these things in house, not go public in the media
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
Dwight, Carlos and Kenwyne still have a wuk. Clive Clarke is a disgruntled (soon-to-be) ex-employee.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »
yuh see how thing is ah was going to reply to this and talk bout if he change since de Championship last year and if Clarke is ah sh@tsnake or not and ah decide to follw de link to de article......ah paste some responses to de article below.....

DaveyHowe (Sunderland fan)

"different styles of management if you ask me no-one was complaining about his management style when he got us from the dog pens of the championship to winning promotion plus the league lets just see who he brings in because i know he will prove clarke wrong i watched clarke on his debut he just isnt good enough "
SAFC_Paul

"Clarke is a terrible player, and why would anyone come out with a statement like this just as the transfer window opens...? We have paid he wages for months and he has given us nothing as a player. Has he been paid to say this by some 'dodgy party' to spoil our transfer plans?"
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
still an interesting point
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
Temper? You ain't seen nothing yet, says Keane

Louise Taylor
Saturday January 12, 2008
The Guardian

Roy Keane has denied that his calm and considered public image is a sham. Last week Clive Clarke, the Sunderland defender currently sidelined by heart trouble, said that Keane's man-management style swings between chair-throwing fury and frosty silences, but the Irishman dismissed such claims.
"I might have something to be worried about if it was from someone playing a lot of games but I think Clive has played one or two for me," said Keane, whose struggling team have a tricky game at home to Portsmouth tomorrow. "He hasn't been here a lot of the time, he's been away on loan and then off with his health problems. I'm taking it with a pinch of salt but, trust me, it's being dealt with internally."

Article continues

The portrayal of Sunderland's manager as veering from anger to aloofness ensured an unusually large attendance at Keane's 8.45am press conference yesterday. "Players are entitled to express opinions but if people believe what they've read, they are sadly mistaken," he said. "I've never thrown a chair or chairs. The strange thing is that people talk about me losing my temper but I feel I've never really lost it here. If people are worried about me losing my temper in certain situations, trust me, they've seen nothing yet. If people are worried now, my Jesus ... "
Keane seemed more annoyed by the implication that he is not a good communicator. "Sometimes I've had four players in my office in an hour talking about things and I enjoy that side of the job," he said. "I've always told players my door is open and they come and see me about problems - sometimes I give them a few days off. I don't mind them having opinions. I had one in with me last week, just a young player, and he made some very valid points about certain things."

A willingness to communicate should not, however, be confused with courting popularity. "That's a very dangerous road to go down as either a player or a manager," Keane said. "I treat players with respect and have banter with them, but I keep a distance. Trust me, I'm comfortable not being pals with people. Other managers have tried to be popular and they've come unstuck, but people that know me know popularity doesn't concern me."

Sunderland's manager, who hopes to have signed five more players by the end of the month, added: "We've got to do the right thing for the club and bring in the right player with the right character. All I can do is identify my targets, give them to the chief executive and step back, and that's what I've done this week.

"Sunderland over many, many years have been criticised for not bringing the big players in while Newcastle have brought the likes of Michael Owen and Middlesbrough have signed [Fabrizio] Ravanelli and Juninho. But we are not just going to keep throwing money after money just to try and satisfy certain people out there."

Keane added that he had picked up the art of keeping his distance from his managerial mentors. "Brian Clough was brilliant to be with, but not for one minute did I think he was my pal. And in 12 years Alex Ferguson and I only had three or four big one-on-one conversations. I've got a certain way of dealing with players but my coaching and management hasn't changed since I got the job last year, when everyone say it was brilliant and working a treat."

Keane admitted his side's 3-0 surrender at home to Wigan in last week's FA Cup tie "tested the patience" of a so far steadfast support and well knows that managers become the subject of scrutiny when results go awry. "The bottom line is, we're not winning," he said. "That builds its own pressures. Suddenly people question everything." Including his serenity.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2239534,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 08:52:47 PM by takenoprisoners »

1]; } ?>