April 28, 2024, 09:31:23 AM

Author Topic: Iran plays down Gulf incident with US Navy  (Read 3365 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Iran plays down Gulf incident with US Navy
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Iran plays down Gulf incident with US Navy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »
Iran looking for a cutarse it seems.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
iran like shit eh they rel want that blow out bad boy
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
It looks like Iran is next on the hit list. I expect many reports like this over the next 2 years.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
I would not doubt it for a moment that the US encouraged the Iranian boat to come close JUST SO they could have video and NOW they saying that it was a CONFRONTATION.... ::)
doh forget my Eldest step brother went Vietnam so I am VERY familiar with the US WAYS......

anyway, if any forumite is directly involved in this, please go with God's protection.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:54:53 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:21:22 PM »
Iran always doing that shit, doh try dat WC.

If I was skipper they woulda have plenty dead Iranians floating around de Gulf!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:48:57 PM »
I would not doubt it for a moment that the US encouraged the Iranian boat to come close JUST SO they could have video and NOW they saying that it was a CONFRONTATION.... ::)
doh forget my Eldest step brother went Vietnam so I am VERY familiar with the US WAYS......

anyway, if any forumite is directly involved in this, please go with God's protection.
Encourage them with what...falafels?  A boatload of vestal virgins??

::)

I also fail to see how the example of your 'eldest step-brother' is somehow indicative of "the US WAYS".
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 08:51:08 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:08:51 PM »

Encourage them with what...falafels?  A boatload of vestal virgins??

::)

I also fail to see how the example of your 'eldest step-brother' is somehow indicative of "the US WAYS".
Ok my point is that if IRAN came any where close to US waters the US would react the same.  I lie ???

and we ALL know that many young men who went to vietnam were treated terrible and even maybe lied to by their government of their time and many US governments since have lied to their citizens.

I wonder if de WMD's were in dem white boxes that were onboard dem Iran Boats. ::)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:55:52 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »

I'm not unaware of the political and economic interests in the area but who is really provoking who ? The Iranians 5 gunboats and the US had 3 warships (the cruiser USS Port Royal, the destroyer USS Hopper and the frigate USS Ingraham )

The US claim is that they were in International waters, I'm not so sure.

It will interesting to see how this one pans outs.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »
suppose iran tries to  block the straight of hormuz ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
Bush chastises Iran on Gulf intercept
WASHINGTON - President Bush said Tuesday that Iran's confrontation with the U.S. Navy ships in the Persian Gulf was a "provocative act."

ADVERTISEMENT

"It is a dangerous situation," he said in a White House news conference. "They should not have done it, pure and simple. . . . I don't know what their thinking was, but I'm telling you what my thinking was. I think it was a provocative act."

The top U.S. Navy commander in the area said an Iranian fleet of high-speed boats charged at and threatened to blow up a three-ship U.S. Navy convoy passing near but outside Iranian waters on Monday, as they headed into the Persian Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz. The Iranian fleet "maneuvered aggressively" and then vanished as the American ship commanders were preparing to open fire, said Vice Adm. Kevin Cosgriff. No shots were fired.

In Tehran, Iran's Foreign Ministry suggested the Iranian boats had not recognized the U.S. vessels. Spokesman Mohammed Ali Hosseini played down the incident. "That is something normal that takes place every now and then for each party," he told the state news agency IRNA.

But White House press secretary Dana Perino said the incident was hardly routine. "It was not normal behavior," she said. "It was out of the ordinary. It was reckless."

"It's just another point of reference for people in the region who are concerned about the behavior of Iran," Perino said of the skirmish early Sunday local time. But, she said that while Iran will be "part of the discussion" during Bush's travels, "it's certainly not the main reason for the trip."

Said Bush: "My message today to the Iranians is they shouldn't have done what they did."

Bush also said that a recent intelligence assessment on Iran, which determined that Tehran had halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003, sent a "mixed signal" to the international community on U.S. policy.

"Iran was a threat. Iran is a threat. And Iran will continue to be a threat if they are allowed to learn how to enrich uranium," he said.

The incident came as Bush got ready to leave Tuesday evening on an eight-day Mideast trip designed in part to counter Iran's influence in the region. Bush is expected to discuss the U.S. posture toward Tehran with Arab allies also worried about Tehran's desire for greater regional power
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iran;_ylt=Am6gaSGuJtvLS3lLB1LlgF8KO7gF

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Iran-Nuclear-Issues-military-maneuvers-Iranian-Navy-President-George-W-Bush-Strait-of-Hormuz/ss/events/wl/031103irannuclear/s:/ap/20080108/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iran  some pics of Iran boats

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
But is not so long ago..Iran do de same ting and capture some british soldiers to boot

Yankee doh play dem game....international incidents business now start  ;)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »
boy as much as i want to see iran get crush war is not a nice thing nah, d kinda things u does see does affect you for life
Youtube Channel

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »
dat is a definite recipe for invasion....Iran ent mad enuff
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »

us invade  with they already strained and stretched tin  military nah man out ah the question
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »

us invade  with they already strained and stretched tin  military nah man out ah the question
you an me kno dat
but Baby Bush an he pardnas LOVE War... ;)

check this out
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:25:11 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »
what I tell allya.....Uncle Sam.....Ease Up
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/01/10/iran.boats/index.html#cnnSTCVideo
tell me, How could the two versions be sooo dimfront ;)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 09:09:40 AM »
So where exactly did the audio threat come from?
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/degrees-of-confidence-on-us-iran-naval-incident/index.html?hp

Degrees of Confidence on U.S.-Iran Naval Incident

By Mike Nizza

Tags: foreign affairs, iran, military, united states

Updated, 5:48 p.m. Eastern. Scroll down for the latest.

The list of those who are less than fully confident in the Pentagon’s video/audio mashup of aggressive maneuvers by Iranian boats near American warships in the Strait of Hormuz now includes the Pentagon itself.

Unnamed Pentagon officials said on Wednesday that the threatening voice heard in the audio clip, which was released on Monday night with a disclaimer that it was recorded separately from the video images and merged with them later, is not directly traceable to the Iranian military.

That undercuts one of the most menacing elements from the Pentagon’s assertion that Iranian forces threatened the Navy ships: The voice on the radio saying, “I am coming to you. … You will explode after … minutes.”

Here’s an excerpt from an article in this morning’s New York Times on the Pentagon’s assessment of the audio:

The audio includes a heavily accented voice warning in English that the Navy warships would explode. However, the recording carries no ambient noise — the sounds of a motor, the sea or wind — that would be expected if the broadcast had been made from one of the five small boats that sped around the three-ship American convoy.

Pentagon officials said they could not rule out that the broadcast might have come from shore, or from another ship nearby, although it might have come from one of the five fast boats with a high-quality radio system.

Update, 3:36 p.m. ABC News just reported more details from the spokesperson for the U.S. admiral in charge of the Fifth Fleet, who confirmed the above and explained why they concluded that the threat came from the Iranian boats:

“It happened in the middle of all the very unusual activity, so as we assess the information and situation, we still put it in the total aggregate of what happened Sunday morning. I guess we’re not saying that it absolutely came from the boats, but we’re not saying it absolutely didn’t.”

Update, 5:48 p.m. At a news conference this afternoon, a reporter asked Defense Secretary Robert Gates about his level of “confidence in the U.S. military version” of the incident. He was unequivocal:

I have no question whatsoever about the report on this incident from the captains of the ships and also from the video itself.

Earlier on Wednesday, a reader posted a comment on The Lede claiming to be a former Navy officer with experience in the Strait of Hormuz and offering an explanation for how easily a mistake could have been made by Navy personnel trying to sift through radio transmissions filled with chatter:

All ships at sea use a common UHF frequency, Channel 16, also known as “bridge-to bridge” radio. Over here, near the U.S., and throughout the Mediterranean, Ch. 16 is used pretty professionally, i.e., chatter is limited to shiphandling issues, identifying yourself, telling other ships what your intentions are to avoid mishaps, etc.

But over in the Gulf, Ch. 16 is like a bad CB radio. Everybody and their brother is on it; chattering away; hurling racial slurs, usually involving Filipinos (lots of Filipinos work in the area); curses involving your mother; 1970’s music broadcast in the wee hours (nothing odder than hearing The Carpenters 50 miles off the coast of Iran at 4 a.m.)

On Ch. 16, esp. in that section of the Gulf, slurs/threats/chatter/etc. is commonplace. So my first thought was that the “explode” comment might not have even come from one of the Iranian craft, but some loser monitoring the events at a shore facility.

The commenter, who signed his posting “SWO officer,” went on to say, “I hope everybody exercises great caution here and doesn’t jump to conclusions.”

President Bush was criticized today for doing the opposite. According to The Washington Post, “some diplomatic and military officials in Washington” said that Mr. Bush’s statements on arriving in Israel Wednesday “inflated the significance of the brief incident” in the strait.

In his remarks, Mr. Bush warned Iran that “all options are on the table to protect our assets.”

Meanwhile, the video images that were released by the Pentagon came in for some more contradiction from Iran, which has contended that the United States was exaggerating a workaday encounter between two naval powers in the Persian Gulf: A competing video purporting to show Sunday’s incident from the Iranian side was broadcast today on Iranian television.

Here is how the semiofficial Fars News Agency described it:

The four-minute video showed an Iranian commander in a speedboat contacting an American sailor via radio, asking him to identify the U.S. vessels and state their purpose.

“Coalition warship number 73 this is an Iranian patrol,” the Iranian commander is heard to say in good English.

“This is coalition warship number 73. I am operating in international waters,” comes the reply.

That would seem to be a much less aggressive interaction between the American and Iranian forces, of course. But the timing of the recording could not be confirmed, and as Iran itself has said, these types of exchanges happen all the time.

Agence France-Presse noted one way that Iran’s video seemed to match up with the United States account of the encounter: all three U.S. vessels involved in the incident are seen in the video.

But The Associated Press was skeptical, saying that “the short clip likely did not show Sunday’s entire encounter.”

Update, 11:37 a.m. The Iranian video is now online.

A reader using the name Hamid Pasha sent The Lede a link to an English-language Iranian web site, PressTV.com, that has posted the Iranian video.

The clip is a bit over 5 minutes long. The first few minutes are views of coalition warships shot from smaller boats (if you thought the motorboats seemed to be moving fast in the American video, wait until you see the bow waves on the warships). In the latter portion, we see an Iranian on the boat using a microphone handset to hail “coalition warship 73″ by radio, in fairly clear but accented English, and we hear responses in an American voice.

The video clearly covers only part of an encounter — perhaps the encounter, though there’s no obvious way a layman would be able to know — and it cuts off abruptly after the American voice is heard answering several inquiries from the Iranian by saying simply that the coalition ship is operating in international waters. We don’t see or hear what happened next.

Patrick J. Lyons contributed to this post.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 06:49:49 PM »
somebody looking to cause war, as they say there is money in war look for the one that going to profit, this thing like watching a episode of 24
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>