April 28, 2024, 03:09:19 AM

Author Topic: Altidore to be a key piece for U.S.  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Altidore to be a key piece for U.S.
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:23:12 AM »
Altidore to be a key piece for U.S.
Young star's stock continues to rise as he impresses in U.S. camp
By Greg Daurio / MLSnet.com Staff 
Jozy Altidore is perhaps the most promising player in U.S. soccer at the moment.

CARSON, Calif. -- If one were to identify the face of U.S. soccer at the moment, the general consensus would be LA Galaxy forward Landon Donovan. If a poll were to be taken to identify the best young player in U.S. soccer, most would answer former D.C. United and Real Salt Lake player Freddy Adu. But if people were to ask to identify the most promising player in U.S. soccer, Jozy Altidore of the New York Red Bulls would be at the top of everyone's list.
Altidore burst onto the scene at the tail end of the 2006 MLS season, at age 16 becoming the youngest player in MLS history to score a playoff goal. He backed that up in 2007 by not only staying out of the shadow of Juan Pablo Angel, but becoming the perfect offensive compliment to a player many considered the top player in the league.

A successful tournament at the FIFA U-20 World Cup last summer has had the youngster linked with transfer moves to Real Madrid, and Altidore closed out the year by being featured on the cover of EA Sports "FIFA 2008." Not too shabby for a kid that just turned 18 at the beginning of the month.
Altidore is currently in camp with the U.S. national team as they prepare for a friendly against Sweden this Saturday at The Home Depot Center. It would be easy for a teenager to buy into the hype and carry a big head into his second full national team camp. But Altidore has been his typical soft-spoken and humble self, using the opportunity as learning experience and chance to get better as a player.

"Anytime you get a chance to play with the best players in the league, guys like Landon (Donovan), E.J. (Eddie Johnson), Jimmy Conrad, it's a good experience," said Altidore. "I've been very happy with my experience so far."

Altidore has been a staple with the youth national teams, but is a newcomer with the senior side. The jump from the U-20 level has been a massive one for Altidore, as it is for every player making the jump.
"It's a lot more physical. The game is faster," said Altidore. "At the U-20 level you're playing with guys your own age. Those guys don't see things the same way these guys do so it's a little different. But at the same time, you still have to compete and bring the right intensity and the right mentality."

To no one's surprise, Altidore has made mistakes in training. Luckily for him, veterans like Donovan have taken him under their wing to help bring him along.
"They (the veterans) have all been very helpful in the whole process and helped me put together things that I haven't learned on the levels before this," said Altidore. "It's been nice of them to really take me under their wing as a whole, from the training to the coaching staff, they've all been great to me so far." Possibly the best thing to come out of the camp for Altidore is the fact that playing with the best players in the league is teaching him what areas of his game need the most improvement. It's a lesson that isn't going unnoticed.

"I think my movement has to get better. I've been able to get away with being less mobile before," said Altidore. "At this level, it gets seen when you're mobility is lacking a little bit. I have to be on my toes more and that is something I'm going to learn as I go through the process."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Altidore to be a key piece for U.S.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:59:15 AM »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:54:24 AM »
good game USA
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:55:09 AM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:56:06 AM »
bus ah bag ah piss on da man
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »
At one time I thought it was Cornell Glen in the US shirt.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »

Glen goes undercover & takes revenge for not being picked by Mats hoping that Mats will get the sack as a result!!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:55:17 AM »
congratulations to josy.he was utmost present,good composure and he know how to finish.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »

Me too...until he actually scored a goal

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »
This is ah worse week for me ...Argentina get 6 , Trinidad and Tobago get three and one man scored all three ? Ah kyah even celebrate dat is ah Villareal player who scored de hattrick !
Ting to notice though is de support from the older players on de US squad for de yute ...we yutes doh seem to be grasping anything from players like Yorke and latapy who still on de field with dem ???
Just what Altidore said the senior players were telling him about he was able to do against us ...he was like de invisible man ..unmarked even though he was already on de scoresheet !
in my schoolboy days playing football ...it was a cardinal rule ..." he kyah score again " ..if he did he would not do so unnoticed !
..but tings have changed

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:13 AM »
Altidore shines as U.S. dismantles Trinidad & Tobago

When it comes to the U.S. attack, it long has been thought that Brian Ching was merely keeping the forward position warm for Jozy Altidore, especially given manager Bob Bradley's tendency to play with a single striker. But based on Wednesday's 3-0 dismantling of Trinidad and Tobago, which featured an Altidore hat trick, it's clear the Americans' offense functions a heck of lot better when both players are in the lineup.

Altidore's spot in the starting 11 now is etched in stone after he rallied the U.S. during Saturday's 2-2 draw in El Salvador and then did plenty to take apart the Soca Warriors. But he also owes a debt of gratitude to Ching. The Hawaiian not only had one of the assists on Altidore's first goal in the 13th minute, but he also did plenty to occupy the Trinidad and Tobago defense, and it was Ching's unselfish run to the near post that created the space for Altidore to fire home his second goal with 19 minutes remaining. Add in the physical presence provided by both players, and it's clear the combination they provide up top can be devastatingly effective.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
Ching and Altidore both crap in my eyes.  Any team in concacaf coulda tear apart we wings and score a few goals yesterday.  They only good for MLS, cause come WC (cuz yuh know they making it) they go get a rell cut tail.  Dey woman's team have more talent.  (no disrespect to the ladies)  ;)
whey boy!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 01:07:14 PM »
Altidore hat-trick welcome bonus for young striker

Jozy Altidore scored three impressive goals of varying skill against Trinidad and Tobago, but all were equally important to the youngster.

The 19-year-old has struggled to crack the first team in Spain playing with La Liga 2 side, Xerez, but a start with the U.S. national side made his problems in Europe seem like a distant memory.

“I think that in any situation, you have to earn it,” said Altidore of what needs to be done to get a place with Xerez. “It’s a tough lesson for any player out there, including myself. You don’t always know what’s needed to be successful, it’s a work in progress, it’s not going to happen over night. I think that at my club team right now, I’m doing what I can to, but the most important thing is to keep working.”

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
doh stop now Zeppo
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
- Xavi

Offline mr kevin

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
Home safe, nice meeting allyuh.  Hopefully next time we'll have a better result.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 10:04:20 PM »

Me too...until he actually scored a goal

:shameonyou:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »
"jozi has a girlfriend" was de chant after the third goal scored from d US crowd. how alyuh like that? :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:33 PM »
"jozi has a girlfriend" was de chant after the third goal scored from d US crowd. how alyuh like that? :beermug:

he make Akile Edwards he gyul on dat night

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
Altidore: I'm a hungry player

With 30 minutes to go in El Salvador on 28 March, USA were down by two and in desperate need of a spark. Up stepped 19-year-old substitute Jozy Altidore to score the first goal in an eventual 2-2 draw. Four days later, at home against Trinidad and Tobago in his first start of the final round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, the muscular striker went a step further, hammering all three goals in a comprehensive win.

It was a defining four-day stretch for the former youth standout, who , after becoming the first American scorer in La Liga when he moved to Villarreal at the start of the season, now finds himself out of favour on loan at second division leaders Xerez. FIFA.com sat down for an exclusive interview with the American poacher to chat about his ups and downs in Spain and his meteoric rise for the Stars and Stripes.

FIFA.com: How did it feel to come on as a sub late in El Salvador, down 2-0 and knowing goals were needed?
Jozy Altidore:

I was pretty excited when the coach tapped me and told me I was going in. At that point I felt we still had the game in our hands. It was ours to win or lose, so I was ready to go in there and do what I could to help get some goals and get the result going our way.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
Steups....ah was wondering whey yuh was...How come yuh wasn't posting in EVERY thread related to this topic...steups.....

I await your team's dismantlement at the WC cuz ya know it coming....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 03:04:47 PM »
Altidore hat-trick welcome bonus for young striker

Jozy Altidore scored three impressive goals of varying skill against Trinidad and Tobago, but all were equally important to the youngster.

The 19-year-old has struggled to crack the first team in Spain playing with La Liga 2 side, Xerez, but a start with the U.S. national side made his problems in Europe seem like a distant memory.

“I think that in any situation, you have to earn it,” said Altidore of what needs to be done to get a place with Xerez. “It’s a tough lesson for any player out there, including myself. You don’t always know what’s needed to be successful, it’s a work in progress, it’s not going to happen over night. I think that at my club team right now, I’m doing what I can to, but the most important thing is to keep working.”

(continue)

Any player who was left as wide open as Atidore, or who could run past the defense that easily should have scored a hatrick.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »
doh stop now Zeppo

;D Iz commi$$ion time fuh Zeppo

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »

I await your team's dismantlement at the WC cuz ya know it coming....

So you've already ruled out your own team's chances of qualification then?

Come on! Where are those positive vibes??
- Xavi

giggsy11

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
Altidore is an overhyped sh!tsnake made tuh look like Pele by our poor defensive efforts! Big woop!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 08:21:59 AM »
Altidore undergoes knife, out month

On-loan Villarreal striker Josmer Altidore has undergone surgery to remove a hindering ingrown toenail and will miss up to four weeks of action.

"Altidore has been affected by the toe problem for some time now," Xerez CD press officer Santi Garcia confirmed to YA. "We decided to operate to repair this problem."

"The procedure will be done tonight. There is no definite timetable of a return but it could be about a month."

(continue)
- Xavi

1]; } ?>