April 23, 2024, 09:24:16 AM

Author Topic: Zimbabwe to issue 10-million-dollar bill!!!  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Zimbabwe to issue 10-million-dollar bill!!!
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »
Zimbabwe to issue 10-million-dollar bill

Jan 17, 2008 04:45 PM
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

HARARE, Zimbabwe – Zimbabweans will soon be lining their pockets with 10-million-dollar bills.

The central bank announced Thursday it would increase the denomination of the nation's highest bank note more than tenfold to keep pace with the world's highest inflation rate.
That rate is officially estimated at 25,000 per cent annually. Independent financial institutions say real inflation is closer to 150,000 per cent.

The new 10-million note is the equivalent of about $4 at the dominant black market exchange rate.
In an effort to end chronic cash shortages and long, chaotic lines at banks and automated teller machines, the bank will issue the new notes on Friday along with one-million and five-million dollar bills.

Reserve Bank Governor Gideon Gono says the highest existing note, introduced last month, is 750,000 Zimbabwe dollars.
A hamburger at an ordinary cafe costs about 15 million Zimbabwe dollars ($6). That price has trebled this month amid shortages of bread, meat and most other basic goods.

Acknowledging the inflation crisis, Gono said that as of Friday, individuals would be allowed to withdraw an increased limit of 500 million Zimbabwe dollars ($200) in a single day, up from 50 million.
He said special arrangements were being made to pay soldiers, police and other uniformed services "because it is not desirable to see them queuing for cash."

Zimbabwe's economy began to crumble in 2000 when President Robert Mugabe's government stripped white Zimbabweans of their farms and gave them to blacks.
The economic decline has caused runaway prices, chronic unemployment and acute shortages of basic goods, along with a decline in foreign investment over the past seven years.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:18:17 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Zimbabwe to issue 10-million-dollar bill!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »
Johannesburg/Harare - President Robert Mugabe's government, stricken by chronic hyperinflation, announced Thursday it was to introduce a 10 million Zimbabwe dollar note. Economists said they believed it was the highest denomination of any currency in the world.

Central bank governor Gideon Gono was quoted on state radio as saying that the bank would begin releasing a set of three new notes - 1 million, 5 million and 10 million - on Friday.

The issue of new notes follows nearly three months of banking chaos as cash dried up and queues, sometimes hundreds of metres long, became a permanent feature outside commercial banks.

Zimbabwe is in its 10th year of economic crisis, marked by the world's highest rate of inflation, the fastest shrinking gross domestic product in a country not in a state of war, the most rapidly collapsing currency and unemployment of over 80 per cent. Economists blame the reckless economic policies steered by the 83-year-old Mugabe.

Economists said the disappearance of cash was a result of inflation estimated at 50,000 per cent - the government has banned publication of official figures - that forces shoppers to pay with brick-sized bundles of near-worthless notes for a few simple groceries.

A year ago, the highest denomination was 10,000 Zimbabwe dollars, then worth about 7 US dollars. The new 10 million Zimbabwe dollar note is 1,000 times last January's top note, and worth 3 US dollars. During the year there were three separate new issues of notes as inflation continued to soar.

"As monetary authorities we once again assure the nation that we are in full control of the currency situation," Gono said Thursday.

Economists say that the hyper-inflation is a result of the government's stated policy of printing cash when it runs out of money, and price controls that have caused the supply of goods in shops to disappear, only to resurface on the black market.

The government stopped issuing banknotes in 2003 when it replaced them with temporary "bearer cheques" stamped with an expiry date, although the bank renews their validity on expiry.

Economists say it is apparent that state economic policy is shot through with confusion and indecision. In early December, Gono announced that the introduction was "imminent" of a new currency denominated 1,000th of the current system - 17 months after he last sliced three zeroes off the country's money.

However, the new notes failed to appear, and, without explanation, the bank brought out 250,000, 500,000 and 750,000 Zimbabwe dollar bearer cheques instead. The 750,000 Zimbabwe dollar note is barely enough to buy a copy of the state-controlled daily newspaper.

The new notes have made no impact on the queues. "Long ago they should have produced the 10 million note," said an economist who asked not to be named. "This is economic policy-making on the hoof."

About 300 people milled about the entrance of the Beverley Building Society office in Harare's Avondale suburb on Thursday morning.

"The security guard says they start queuing at 1:00 am," said a shop owner next door. "Only the first hundred or so manage to get cash. At 16:30, when the bank closes, they go away, but they come back the next morning again, because cash is so short they can only draw Zimbabwe dollars 5 million at a time."
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
That rate is officially estimated at 25,000 per cent annually. Independent financial institutions say real inflation is closer to 150,000 per cent.
nah, dat is impossible 25,000%/year
whey foote dem in big trouble

dat means ah penny cool las year costin $250 dis year :o :o
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:21:05 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
Mugabe needs to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »

Jan 17, 2008 04:45 PM
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

HARARE, Zimbabwe – Zimbabweans will soon be lining their pockets with 10-million-dollar bills.

The central bank announced Thursday it would increase the denomination of the nation's highest bank note more than tenfold to keep pace with the world's highest inflation rate.

The new 10-million note is the equivalent of about $4 at the dominant black market exchange rate.
In an effort to end chronic cash shortages and long, chaotic lines at banks and automated teller machines, the bank will issue the new notes on Friday along with one-million and five-million dollar bills.

Reserve Bank Governor Gideon Gono says the highest existing note, introduced last month, is 750,000 Zimbabwe dollars.
A hamburger at an ordinary cafe costs about 15 million Zimbabwe dollars ($6). That price has trebled this month amid shortages of bread, meat and most other basic goods.

Acknowledging the inflation crisis, Gono said that as of Friday, individuals would be allowed to withdraw an increased limit of 500 million Zimbabwe dollars ($200) in a single day, up from 50 million.
He said special arrangements were being made to pay soldiers, police and other uniformed services "because it is not desirable to see them queuing for cash."

Zimbabwe's economy began to crumble in 2000 when President Robert Mugabe's government stripped white Zimbabweans of their farms and gave them to blacks.
The economic decline has caused runaway prices, chronic unemployment and acute shortages of basic goods, along with a decline in foreign investment over the past seven years.

Steups.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »
yeah there is a woman at my work from Zimbabwe and her parents farm was taken away.
I believe there was no compensation but when I eventually see her again I will ask.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »

Why... they short on toilet paper?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 10:19:19 PM »

At what point u just come out and say the currency has collapsed and is good for nothing but internal use.....just forget about currency exchange.  And then divide the cost of everything by....lewwe say 10 million (DAMN).

This might be a good case study for some economics students.  People say is a lot of propaganda from the West about what going on in Zimbabwe but 10 Million dollar note.....u have to have real cahones to argue that country is not bordering on failed state if they eh way past that.

I haven't followed the situation as much for the last few years but what is the latest with their food supply?  Unless they getting aid I real doh see how they cud afford to import anything at all unless their budget is a kabillion dollars..

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »
A hamburger at an ordinary cafe costs about 15 million Zimbabwe dollars ($6).

"... because cash is so short they can only draw Zimbabwe dollars 5 million at a time."

they must have a new maths in zimbabwe. how many bank accounts you need to have lunch with 2 friends?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 08:56:16 AM »

Steups.

Dat steups is frustration at mugabe?....or wuh you think is printed propaganda?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
mugabe is an executive president. apparently zimbabwe has the "political maturity" for such a thing. manning must be jealous. look how mugabe make it so everyone in zimbabwe is a millionaire! who could argue with that?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 12:42:53 PM »
look how mugabe make it so everyone in zimbabwe is a millionaire! who could argue with that?
;D :rotfl:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »

Steups.

Dat steups is frustration at mugabe?....or wuh you think is printed propaganda?

Well both really. I know nothing of economics but I do know that it is cannot as simplistic as stated here. The common thread in all these stories is that "whites" order society while "blacks" inherently lack the qualities to do such. Probably an dissapointed reaction on my part cuase whenever I hear the word "blacks" in relation to Zimbabwe and South Africa I immediately think of these S. African aparteidists talking about the "blecks" can't do this and the "blecks" that. And also vex at Mugabe for giving them every opportunity for making such simplistic assertions seem like plain fact.

leroy

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »
He was warned by the President of Mozambique in 1982 about whites been the economic vehicle in southern Rhodesia,Zimbabwe after Mugabe won the revolution in 1980 was the bread basket of Africa they produce alot of agricutural products and had a very stable Government,what went wrong?
the zanuPF leader just like most african leadesr of the time are just greedy for Power.
 :beermug:   

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 04:28:47 PM »
[

Well both really. I know nothing of economics but I do know that it is cannot as simplistic as stated here. The common thread in all these stories is that "whites" order society while "blacks" inherently lack the qualities to do such. Probably an dissapointed reaction on my part cuase whenever I hear the word "blacks" in relation to Zimbabwe and South Africa I immediately think of these S. African aparteidists talking about the "blecks" can't do this and the "blecks" that. And also vex at Mugabe for giving them every opportunity for making such simplistic assertions seem like plain fact.

right,, now I understand yuh

well I figure the truth...like most truths, lies somewhere in the middle.......but ultimately the buck hadda stop somewhey, so if the country turn from a  major exporter  to a nation of hyperinflation and major imports in 5 short years
Is only de leader yuh could  blame

I mihself does get kicks on "sooth efricuns" when dey venting on de  "blecks"
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 05:00:57 PM »
thank you zando.  I think I have followed the situation a little closer than most would have, and I have also come up with your conclusion...that the truth is in the middle.  and I am also disappointed in mugabe for giving the brits and americans etc the proof needed for them to say "we were right all along....mugabe is a dictator like all the rest - that's why zimbabwe has fallen."
my wife's cousin spend the christmas break with us with her 2 kids.  she grew up in zimbabwe b/c her dad was in the cia working to de-stabilize the government there, then in liberia, uganda, ethiopia.  so I see why mugabe rightly warns of the west trying to run zimbabwe by paying off opposition etc.  I saw it as courageous to try and right the wrong of the land ownership issue, which was not a centuries old issue like in the US...  but I don't see how the sanctions on travel and foreign accounts of government officials (is it only gov't officials?) could be what hurting the zimbabwe economy as mugabe retorts again and again.  things like this 10million dollar bill can't be denied either.  God help Zimbabwe.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
We did a case on Zimbabwe in Econ last semester. Apparently things started to turn south when Mugabe start to kick de whites off the large commercial farms and give dem to his partners. croonies & supporters. He strip the farms from the farmers & give them to people who had no knowledge of large scale commercial farming. Combined with a drought that hit and the farms stopped being very productive (agriculture used to be the largest export industry). The drought plus the people who don't know how to care for the land also leading to a loss of arable land.

The whites started leaving the country taking with them what money they had, closing down businesses and essentially yuh had a brain drain & capital flight. Also it was a country where a small population (whites) had a disproportionate amount of money, assets & knowledge and were replaced by people who were political appointees & unfit for the positions. Throw in a president who violently crackdowns on the opposition, stifles protest, rigs elections, out of touch with the reality of the average person, blames the US & UK the country's problems, international sanctions (only on gov't officials),  etc, ... Yuh see why that country in the crapper.

So to say that taking the farms from whites is very simplistic, but it was a start.

With an inflation rate that high, people don't save money, they spend it fast because it might not be worth anything tomorrow; this behaviour then adds to inflation.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:02:55 PM by grimm01 »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »
After Mandela stepped down you would think that his example would have been followed by "leaders" like Mugabe. Instead he will go down in history not as a freedom fighter but as a full time clown with a day job as an African politician.

I understand that there is a growing new generation of "bleck" farmers in South African who are running commercially successful operations. Mugabe's big mistake was basing land reform solely on political considerations. In "Sooth Efreecah"  :rotfl: the land claims and general social reforms were done much more thoughtfully in spite of the viciousness of aparteid. Mugabe's hero play well bite him in the ass.

He probably would have been more effective in achieving justice had he followed the slower but steady change of S. Africa.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:36:04 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
We did a case on Zimbabwe in Econ last semester. Apparently things started to turn south when Mugabe start to kick de whites off the large commercial farms and give dem to his partners. croonies & supporters. He strip the farms from the farmers & give them to people who had no knowledge of large scale commercial farming. Combined with a drought that hit and the farms stopped being very productive (agriculture used to be the largest export industry). The drought plus the people who don't know how to care for the land also leading to a loss of arable land.

yeah, i understand is that he gave the farms to cronies and political supports who knew zero about commercial farming.

You can debate whether he was righting a wrong, but as leader, he should have made sure there was no interruption in farming output and productivity and he is responsible from allowing the country's GDP to plummet.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »
A friend of mine runs a large farm outside Capetown. The land is part of a claims parcel that was settled in a peaceful, thoughtful manner. Black south Africans had land returned at a slower pace but apparently have better structures in place to help them succeed, such as specialty loans, education, market deregulation, agricultural boards, co-ps etc. Using these strucutures the farmers have incentive to produce efficiently and then use economic leverage to increase production. In Zimbabwe very little thought was given to the process.

But of course the headline don't read "Young bleck farmers succeding in S. Africa".
African success stories are underreported, and mistakes are overemphasized. That is what makes me shake my head.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:33:29 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 05:41:38 PM »
After Mandela stepped down you would think that his example would have been followed by "leaders" like Mugabe. Instead he will go down in history not as a freedom fighter but as a full time clown with a day job as an African politician.

I understand that there is a growing new generation of "bleck" farmers in South African who are running commercially successful operations. Mugabe's big mistake was basing land reform solely on political considerations. In "Sooth Efreecah"  :rotfl: the land claims and general social reforms were done with much more thoughtfully in spite of the viciousness of aparteid. Mugabe's hero play well bite him in the ass.

He probably would have been more effective in achieving justice had he followed the slower but steady change of S. Africa.

not so fast zando...the race is not for the swiftest.  my sister-in-law just move from SA (no more link to stay by when we qualify:)) to atlanta.  true the whites move out, but a rich black class jus move in to take their place - the result - you have to live behind walls and a wall behind a wall behind a wall.  armed convoys to drive your kids to school so they wouldn't get hijack.  lil kids never ride the bus before, it was like the biggest disney world ride for them last summer, so they decide they want to be "free" and move here.  I predict SA will explode in about 10 yrs.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
I agree that a more thoughtful & meticulous handover process would have brought different results. When they seized the farms they even ran off the black workers who worked the lands with the whites. So it was less black vs white than Mugabe's people getting payback.

I think Mugabe may have been more concerned about paying off supporters and bribing the electorate in the face of a strong opposition and looming elections.

It's a real sad story that has been played out over & over in the developing world where the old heads can't recognize their limitations or just don't know when to call it a day and hand over the reigns; be it a politician or a football or cricket administrator.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:47:04 PM by grimm01 »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 06:04:36 PM »

I understand that there is a growing new generation of "bleck" farmers in South African who are running commercially successful operations. Mugabe's big mistake was basing land reform solely on political considerations. In "Sooth Efreecah" :rotfl: the land claims and general social reforms were done with much more thoughtfully in spite of the viciousness of aparteid. Mugabe's hero play well bite him in the ass.

not so fast zando...the race is not for the swiftest. my sister-in-law just move from SA (no more link to stay by when we qualify:)) to atlanta. true the whites move out, but a rich black class jus move in to take their place - the result - you have to live behind walls and a wall behind a wall behind a wall. armed convoys to drive your kids to school so they wouldn't get hijack. lil kids never ride the bus before, it was like the biggest disney world ride for them last summer, so they decide they want to be "free" and move here. I predict SA will explode in about 10 yrs.

The race is definitely not for the swiftest. That is why as far as agriculture goes S. African did a lot more right than Zimbabwe, they moved in  a more considered manner. As for as reforms in the rest of the country I know little about that. But the way you talk looks like things are very bad.

S. Africa is seen as the strongest economy in Africa but I know the crime situation is far out of control. It seems like the GDP is relatively good but only on paper.
What do you see as being the big problems there Bounty?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
I agree that a more thoughtful & meticulous handover process would have brought different results. When they seized the farms they even ran off the black workers who worked the lands with the whites. So it was less black vs white than Mugabe's people getting payback.

I think Mugabe may have been more concerned about paying off supporters and bribing the electorate in the face of a strong opposition and looming elections.

It's a real sad story that has been played out over & over in the developing world where the old heads can't recognize their limitations or just don't know when to call it a day and hand over the reigns; be it a politician or a football or cricket administrator.

Yeah big-boy thing. Grimm, the saddest part of colonialism is the blind way that the former colonies persist in trying to make alien structures fit their situations. In Africa the "nations" that Europe left behind were delineated on the basis of convinience for Europe with no thought toward integration of the people that were randomly strung together as a result. And nationalistic structures were put into place to manage narrower tribal affiliations. Much of Western European tribalism was purged by the Roman sword. In Africa a leader's primary duty is to his own tribe. So even though they may come to prominence as a national leader, their psychological loyalty still lies with the close knitedness of the tribe and extended family. So within nationalistic structures their loyalty to the tribe compels them to look after the tribe first, more abstract national interests comes second. This is what comes off as corruption. The simple fact is most nations Africans are trapped in a nether-region where their basic cultural constructs are not compatible with their brick and mortar institutions.

Then again the leaders supposed to be aware of this, yet little is being done to correct problems.

Just my take what I know? :-\

As EricWilliams said a nation not grounded within its own culture is a nation without a soul.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:31:26 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »
nah, I just see inequality as being a recipe for disaster wherever - from the french revolution, rwanda....but maybe not...i don't know, maybe they will work it out.  SA is young, and we now seeing hrte split of ANC along tribal lines...then they will start to point out which tribes have more money...then....that kinda talk does work when you have a large segment of the population in poverty, while few have a lot.  At least in Zim, everybody sufferin - shona and N'dembele.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 06:36:49 PM »
nah, I just see inequality as being a recipe for disaster wherever - from the french revolution, rwanda....but maybe not...i don't know, maybe they will work it out. SA is young, and we now seeing hrte split of ANC along tribal lines...then they will start to point out which tribes have more money...then....that kinda talk does work when you have a large segment of the population in poverty, while few have a lot. At least in Zim, everybody sufferin - shona and N'dembele.

A tribal war in S.A. would be truly shameful. I remember when Buthelezi and Inkatha was terorizing S.A, much to the delight of Mr. Botha.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 09:02:17 PM »
she grew up in zimbabwe b/c her dad was in the cia working to de-stabilize the government there, then in liberia, uganda, ethiopia :o.  so I see why mugabe rightly warns of the west trying to run zimbabwe by paying off opposition etc.  I saw it as courageous to try and right the wrong of the land ownership issue, which was not a centuries old issue like in the US...  but I don't see how the sanctions on travel and foreign accounts of government officials (is it only gov't officials?) could be what hurting the zimbabwe economy as mugabe retorts again and again.  things like this 10million dollar bill can't be denied either.  God help Zimbabwe.
buh Bounty dem ting does only happen in Bourne movies no? ;)
and I am sure that it happens in this day an age within the Caribbean ;)

oh, by the way, it was nice knowing you ;) ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:34:43 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 09:18:08 PM »
In Africa a leader's primary duty is to his own tribe. So even though they may come to prominence as a national leader, their psychological loyalty still lies with the close knitedness of the tribe and extended family. So within nationalistic structures their loyalty to the tribe compels them to look after the tribe first, more abstract national interests comes second. This is what comes off as corruption. The simple fact is most nations Africans are trapped in a nether-region where their basic cultural constructs are not compatible with their brick and mortar institutions.

As EricWilliams said a nation not grounded within its own culture is a nation without a soul.
Zando, how is this to be achieved in the modern day Africa?
there seems to be so many countries where this happens.....how can it be changed?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 09:24:27 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »
thank you zando. I think I have followed the situation a little closer than most would have, and I have also come up with your conclusion...that the truth is in the middle. and I am also disappointed in mugabe for giving the brits and americans etc the proof needed for them to say "we were right all along....mugabe is a dictator like all the rest - that's why zimbabwe has fallen."
my wife's cousin spend the christmas break with us with her 2 kids. she grew up in zimbabwe b/c her dad was in the cia working to de-stabilize the government there, then in liberia, uganda, ethiopia. so I see why mugabe rightly warns of the west trying to run zimbabwe by paying off opposition etc. I saw it as courageous to try and right the wrong of the land ownership issue, which was not a centuries old issue like in the US... but I don't see how the sanctions on travel and foreign accounts of government officials (is it only gov't officials?) could be what hurting the zimbabwe economy as mugabe retorts again and again. things like this 10million dollar bill can't be denied either. God help Zimbabwe.

... good wuk if yuh can geh it ...

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
thank you zando. I think I have followed the situation a little closer than most would have, and I have also come up with your conclusion...that the truth is in the middle. and I am also disappointed in mugabe for giving the brits and americans etc the proof needed for them to say "we were right all along....mugabe is a dictator like all the rest - that's why zimbabwe has fallen."
my wife's cousin spend the christmas break with us with her 2 kids. she grew up in zimbabwe b/c her dad was in the cia working to de-stabilize the government there, then in liberia, uganda, ethiopia. so I see why mugabe rightly warns of the west trying to run zimbabwe by paying off opposition etc. I saw it as courageous to try and right the wrong of the land ownership issue, which was not a centuries old issue like in the US... but I don't see how the sanctions on travel and foreign accounts of government officials (is it only gov't officials?) could be what hurting the zimbabwe economy as mugabe retorts again and again. things like this 10million dollar bill can't be denied either. God help Zimbabwe.

... good wuk if yuh can geh it ...

why you say that?  I think it sad honestly...well I guess if you mean in terms of the money, cuz her mom (the cia widow) never work a day in her life and have a grip.  but what a way to sell your soul..at least in my opinion....but I guess is like any boy down the street who join the army _ going and kill somebody else b/c I believe my commanders and government are doing what is right....or for the freedom of the people back home or something like that.  well WC, hopefully you get to meet an ex cia or their family and ask them what they were doing.

1]; } ?>