April 26, 2024, 02:24:00 PM

Author Topic: Police banned from Football?  (Read 5093 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Police banned from Football?
« on: January 23, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
Trinidad Guardian
Wednesday 23rd January, 2008
An arresting dilemma in sports

Commissioner Trevor Paul...has banned police officers from taking part in sporting activities.

With crime spiraling out of control the nation demanded that the Commissioner of Police (COP) act. Well act he did, under siege on many fronts the police chief cancelled special leave for officers involved in sporting activity. Police officers involved in sport came face to face with the harsh reality; You are being paid to do police work.

Even if in my view the COP erred in making such a blanket decision. “Truth be” told police officers are paid by the taxpayers to protect and serve. When I heard the news last Friday; I could not contemplate what would possess an avid sportsman to make such a decision.

A former president of the Over de Hill Boys and one time chairman of the Police football section, Commissioner Paul journeyed to Germany in 2006 for this country’s historic appearance in the Fifa World Cup final.

During the Colonial era, sport was considered recreation and leisure and one had to be able to afford to participate. Sport was not for the working class. Commissioner Paul’s decision not unsurprisingly created a furor. I maybe overstating things, as not too many outside of sport seemed agitated. But please be sympathetic to the ruffled feathers among the sport fraternity. Maybe it is the old “chip on the shoulder” syndrome and battle scars from centuries of neglect and false dawns.

I tried looking at things from the Commissioner’s point of view, not that he needs me to, my motives were more selfish. I did not want to walk around for the whole day angry. So I sought to rationalise away his reported decision. It seemed so reflective of how our parents and adults operated. When they caught you doing something wrong you would be banished from sporting activity and play.

Those who are more familiar with the Police chief credit him for not being a mean spirited person so it should not be hard to conclude that he was simply doing his best given the available resources and knowledge at his disposal.

Putting aside emotion and replacing it with stone cold logic it was not hard to reposition the suspension of Police sporting activity in a different context. Crime is out of control so what would you have Paul do?

He has to crush the crime scourge by any means necessary. Reminding all Police officers of why they signed up in the police service seems a good way to start or so the supporters of the move will have us believe.

There is a local saying, “You only miss the water when the well runs dry”.

Should the Police sports club curtail all activity it will be a sad day as it may well mark the end of an era. For years Police had been an integral part of the sporting landscape of T&T fielding teams in many disciplines.

Fundamental questions that may arise are would police officers be allowed to join clubs of their own choosing and will they be permitted to play during their off days.

What about those who are called to the national team. Is it that talented sportsmen and women should forego going into the Police Service for fear that they will never be able to fulfill their full potential?

The more we give it thought the more we may realise that this is an important juncture in the history of sport in T&T.

Hidden in plain sight is the fact that for many a year participation in sporting and cultural activity gave the public and communities an occasion to connect and interact with the police service.

Over the last decade the T&T Olympic Committee has accelerated its advocacy in an effort to accelerate the integration of sport into the fabric and culture of T&T society. Some have questioned and denied the need for such a mission.

There is the school of thought that says crime, education, national security and health are bread and butter issues sport is not.

Commissioner Paul’s decision should serve as a wake up call. More importantly, it presents an opportunity to question and discuss the country’s value system regarding sport.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Police banned from Football?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »
Playing fooball for Police use to be ah easy way to get in the service, I know, I had rell breddrin that went and make the team,  then became police officers, Fabian Garcia of WASA was one of them. Well it was nice while it lasted.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:11:38 PM by triniairman »

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:07:39 PM »
de commish orse he damn mind!

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »
Me ent blame the man at all, because Trinis to damn lacaray when yuh think of it.  There was a big hoolabaloo because the CoP went to a lil Ol Years Night party.  Them same media people put he picture in the papers saying that while crime going on (6 murders), the CoP partying on Ol Years Night.  What that suggest...that if he didn't go to the party then there would have been no murders ? steups

Everybody know them players on the police team doh wuk.  Them just go to training sessions and chill out for the rest of the day, then play matches when the time come.  We pay taxes primarily for police service...watching them kick ball is secondary.

If man get stick in a lil road block...they cussing...why the police cyah go and ketch real criminal instead of harassing man who going to wuk.  Check out how much pictures it does have of the police teams in the papres after a match...if yuh see three for the year yuh see plenty...and it go be from the all sectors netball competition.

Plus he did say that any police officer could participate in any sports of his/her choosing on their off time.  As for national representation that them fellas ent even making the invitees squad...moot point.  Even if they did it go jes be one or two not the whole team.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »
It is unfortunate, but they are Police first and anything else after.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:59:50 PM »
Pardners u hit d nail on d head. Dat being said is real nonesense Paul do. Right now it only have d cricketers playin so bannin d handful of peeps who does play sport eh go make 1 ioida of difference. Yes we tax players playin 4 police to play football. well we doin d same 4 army so ban them too as is we tax dollars and crime will reduce as a result
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
That could be done also, I am sure.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »

I wonder how much the fines for pulling out the leagues going to be.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »
I always found having a Police and Defence Force  or Army Team playing professsional sport was a bit contradictory. Because you were supposed to be Police but you running dong ball whole day on a football field getting ready for match 2  to 3 days a week. I was wondering when it would stop.  About time they get their priorities right. If you know how I hate to see the name , Police,Defence Force being carried around as a professional football club or anything professional in sport. If you want to play a lil on the side dais your business but doh bring no team and calling it a professional football club, you is police and dais your business of the day. If you wah be a footballer go join Joe Public or Caledonia AIA.
Hold it dong ! 
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 09:21:23 PM »
what he should have said is that it suspended ,until the crime situation is under control again .Cause all this wil do is make the officers grumble, cause am sure they all back they team and unite over it .Cause really and truly ,if the police in trini want to clean up crime ,it go take them like 2 weeks  :rotfl: ,them men doh make joke ,they go f**k up everybody quick quick . Why yah think they ,doh hurt cops in trini ,they doh want t piss them off lol .
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:29:27 PM by Quagmire »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »
well said Pardners
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »
Tobago Obeah in yuh arse  ;D :rotfl: ....GO TOBAGO UNITED.......

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:28:36 AM »
I ent know, but dem fellas who in charge of the police in t&t strike me as some real knuckle heads.  what a knuckle head move! I wonder if these dudes every thought about why this was so in the first place?  what benifits this bone head move will have compared to the cost.  I think they really doh know what to do so dey jus doin'.

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 10:39:03 AM »
Tobago Obeah in yuh arse  ;D :rotfl: ....GO TOBAGO UNITED.......

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

so dah mean tobago untd go be in de pro league next season?
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:53 AM »
Here's my 2c....

First, is it just the footballers that got banned or the whole sporting fraternity of the Police?

Now so say is everybody who playing sports get ban, and a good few hundred ah dem back on de job...

How exactly that going to help......will they be getting more vehicles? will I get them when I call 999?
Will the stations they have to work in be in any better condition so as to make them comfortable?

Are the systems they have to work with going to be upgraded...e.g use of more technology..
All yuh seeing mih point?.....what's the use of this move, if as a whole the service in a mess.

Ah eh see how dis going to help de deep hole we in....
Help me Mr. Commish.....you probably know something I don't.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
total ass decision
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 11:36:17 AM »
This is a sad day for Football,i understand where the commish is coming from and am sure he has given this a lot of thought,as they say pressure does bus pipe and we must admit he under a lot of pressure.

For those who have followed Police over the years they were always a force to be reconned with,have always produced high quality international players and played a fluent brand of Football,they will be missed by many who know of them,i for one will never forget those clashes between Army/Police in the Oval and King Goerge v Park.

As someone said i too think a suspension would have been better,i remember in 1970 with the Blackpower situation in the country,Army Football was suspended because we were on duty all over the country,also Army had their own issues with LaSalle,Sha etc etc having said that i can also tell you that Football was used to bring back the immage of the Army,i hope it does not happen with Army because Football has deep roots in there it's one of their shining lights(nuff history).  

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 12:27:42 PM »
This reminds me of a similar rocket science decision from a few years back when the President of Gambia banned football during the rainy season alleging an impact on agricultural production.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »
Does he even have the rite ,Mr Jonny come lately . In the states they have the Army vs Navy Game ,can the man in charge of the navy ,just up and bawl ,ok no more Football team  ???Who is he daiz not he job for life or birthrite .

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
Does he even have the rite ,Mr Jonny come lately . In the states they have the Army vs Navy Game ,can the man in charge of the navy ,just up and bawl ,ok no more Football team  ???Who is he daiz not he job for life or birthrite .
ent dem fellas in School/Acadamy?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 01:11:47 PM »
ent dem fellas in School/Acadamy?
Yeah ah think so . Ok fine then this guy here ,should also stop things like the police band or whatever else ,.....oh is just sports he not into .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:23:42 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 01:21:18 PM »
      The thing is who in the kitchen does really feel the heat,i don't think banning sports/Football in the Police service will ever solve Crime in the country,like nobody has an answer for the Crime taking place in the country,every day Police getting killed in the US fighting Crime when last you hear a Policeman get killed in T&T,they just not doing their jobs,all of them either they scared or not smart enough to deal with bandits.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 01:28:30 PM »
I think they scared to do there job ,cause if you shoot somebody nowadays ,u in serious trouble with the press and groups ,saying the cops outta control.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 01:39:01 PM »
I think they scared to do there job ,cause if you shoot somebody nowadays ,u in serious trouble with the press and groups ,saying the cops outta control.
       You damn right because out here if you only flinch them Police passing you out,Police does stand up for Police they have all kind of association to deal with their issues,in T&T you on your own when you do any thing so obviously the mentality is don't get involved.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »

up to a short time ago the hierarchy said the issue of crime was overblown and it wasn't really that much of a problem.  then the minister admit he hadn't a clue how difficult the task was.

they just 10 steps behind everything and now just grasping at straws.  we knew this a long time now didn't we?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
should also stop things like the police band or whatever else ,.....oh is just sports he not into .
I doh agree as the band is needed when there is a formal Police function to provide the music.
"They play ceremonial and marching music, including the national anthems and patriotic songs of not only their own nation but others as well, both while stationary and as a marching band. They also play a part in funeral ceremonies."
I took a small borrow on de quote...not reffering to TnT Police band ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:07:04 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »

True talk dey.  Although I wouldn't really use the word scared.  I would say they are constrained.  They know they have a tainted image in the public's eye...the rogue cops elements.  Last year quite a few officers were injured in the line of duty...gunshots, accidents etc. so them fellas moving different these days.  When they go on raids, they shooting bandits and making out the reports after, because arrests does give smarts arse lawyers a chance to make money and put the bandits back on the streets.

But back to the topic...Paul did say the officers free to play sports, but on their off time.  Mih brother is a police so ah know what ah talking bout.  The officers on the sporting teams do not work..they really operate like professional sportsmen.  At least these days we seeing more foot patrols in hot spot San Juan and other areas.

They have a set of police out the country on training in CSI, IT, Law etc., since dey say criminals getting away thru loopholes during/after the arrest.  Then they have local training eg. for the impending breathalyser and DNA acts to come out jes now, so the service real real thin.  So anything to optimise the man power in specific areas is worth a try.

Paul just reacting to what the people want.  And besides the Police football team is not a force like long time.  The netball team does beat people bad though.  I prefer to sleep comfortable in the night, rather than know Police come fourth in the Semi-pro league oui.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:44 PM »
I prefer to sleep comfortable in the night, rather than know Police come fourth in the Semi-pro league oui.
dats it right there ;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »
Well alyah living down dey ,so alyah have abetter grasp on it . So all these men have to get retrain ,..cause all them could shoot is ball lol .what they go do spanner ah man till he confess .

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 10:14:06 PM »

Calypso boycott over sport ban
Joel Julien jjulien@trinidadexpress.com
Trinidad Express
Friday, January 25th 2008

singing cop: ACP Maurice Piggott participates during yesterday's calypso competition for retired officers at the Police Museum, Abercromby Street, Port of Spain. -Photo: STEVE McPHIE

NATIONAL Sports Hall of Fame inductee and retired police officer, Marjorie John, yesterday slammed Police Commissioner Trevor Paul's decision to ban police officers from playing all sports outside the Police Service.

John, 75, a former corporal, showed her disapproval of Paul's decision by boycotting her performance in the retired police officers calypso competition at the Police Museum on St Vincent Street, Port of Spain.

John who is listed among the country's top athletes of the last millennium was scheduled to perform third, before the crowd which included former top cop Hilton Guy and former assistant commissioner of police Kathleen Weekes.

When her name was called, John went to the front of the crowd, in a black jersey, and said she was not performing because of Paul's decision to ban police officers from taking part in external sports.

John represented the Police Service in hockey, is a former Caribbean table tennis champion and also represented the country in netball, cricket and basketball.

The issue also came in for criticism when PC Bertrand Wallerfield, using the sobriquet "Kisskidee" performed his calypso entitled "Bush Bath".

Wallerfield, of the Traffic Branch, questioned why Paul felt the decision to stop sports would curb the escalating crime rate.

He offered his own suggestion to the problems facing the Police Service which included several members of the executive of the Police Service taking a "bush bath" followed by a lash from a "cocoyea".

However, PC Linden Dell, who dressed as Paul, came to the commissioner's defence with his calypso which chastised delinquent police officers, ranging from PCs straight up to ACPs, politicians, and magistrates in his song entitled "I ain't taking that".

Paul was absent from the ceremony but an apology was delivered by ACP Maurice Piggott. ACP Winston Cooper, now on retirement, was also present.

1]; } ?>