April 27, 2024, 08:34:05 PM

Author Topic: wow, unheard of and almost unbelievable!  (Read 1761 times)

truetrini

wow, unheard of and almost unbelievable!
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:19:59 AM »
Girl switches blood type after liver transplant in first known case: doctors
Thu Jan 24, 5:07 AM ET
SYDNEY (AFP) - An Australian girl spontaneously switched blood groups and adopted her donor's immune system following a liver transplant in the first known case of its type, doctors treating her said Thursday.

Demi-Lee Brennan was aged nine and seriously ill with liver failure when she received the transplant, doctors at a top Sydney children's hospital told AFP.

Nine months later it was discovered that she had changed blood types and her immune system had switched over to that of the donor after stem cells from the new liver migrated to her bone marrow.

She is now a healthy 15-year-old, Michael Stormon, a hepatologist treating her, told AFP. Stormon said he had given several presentations on the case around the world and had heard of none like it.

"It is extremely unusual -- in fact we don't know of any other instance in which this happened," Stormon told AFP from the Children's Hospital.

"In effect she had had a bone marrow transplant. The majority of her immune system had also switched over to that of the donor."

An article on the case was published in Thursday's edition of the leading US medical journal The New England Journal of Medicine.

Doctors who treated Brennan say she is now only under treatment as an outpatient and are interested to know if the case could have other applications in transplant surgery, where rejection of donor organs by the recipient's immune system is a major hurdle.

Stormon said it appeared that Brennan may have been fortunate because a "sequence of serendipitous events", including a post-transplantation infection, may have given the stem cells from her donor's liver the chance to proliferate.

The task now was to establish whether the same sort of outcome could be replicated in other transplant patients, he said.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: wow, unheard of and almost unbelievable!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:32:19 AM »

it's a miracle.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
 :o
Thatwill have MAJOR implications for years to come
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35:42 AM »
shows the need for stem cell research to coninue sans religious and political interference.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:23:01 PM »
shows the need for stem cell research to coninue sans religious and political interference.

Not just that Manday, but a whole forkin MHC switch over? That is one big-ass region of the genome. Stem cells, immunology, genetics, cellular, medicine...lard. This real big. She should be dead. In fact I don't know if to believe it......

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:32:58 PM »

Not just that Manday, but a whole forkin MHC switch over? That is one big-ass region of the genome. Stem cells, immunology, genetics, cellular, medicine...lard. This real big. She should be dead. In fact I don't know if to believe it......
dat is why I make de post, when I saw it I was like...nah....bull shit..cyar be real...but deu say it real...I looking for more info on this story now.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »

could it be so simplistic as to say that the liver controls the blood type?

but then again "More than 20,000 patients worldwide have had liver transplants."
this could be the explanation..."We think because we used a young person's liver and Demi had low white blood cells that could have been a reason." "
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23104709-2862,00.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:40:20 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
WC genetics control the blood type. All blood types are basically the same except for different structutures of antigens on the blood cell surface.....the antigens may determine the particular functioning of blood. But some things must be linked in the Major Histocompatibility Complex. For example if you are a type A, you must have the genetic structures in place to ensure your body produces the right proteins to make the A antigen.

What I want to know is if her WBC remained the same as before or if they switched too.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:57:10 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:56:31 PM »
WC genetics control the blood type. All blood types are basically the same except for different structutures of antigens on the blood cell surface.....the antigens may determine the particular functioning of blood. But some things must be linked in the Major Histocompatibility Complex. For example if you are a type A, you must have the genetic structures in place to ensure your body produces the right proteins to make the A antigen.
maybe a good case for dem evolutionist an dem
could it be that her system was SO compromised that when she got the younger liver her system evolved so that her blood type switched?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
What I want to know is if her WBC remained the same as before or if they switched too.
"Demi's body began destroying its own blood cells at the same time the donor's blood stem cells took over her immune system."
is dis what you asking?
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23104709-2862,00.html
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
maybe a good case for dem evolutionist an dem
could it be that her system was SO compromised that when she got the younger liver her system evolved so that her blood type switched?

OK, this was a wholesale switch involving antigens of the entire MHC. WOW!!! Somehow the stem cells became the dominant population of cells. When you say the system was so compromised you are very likely correct in that assertion. That is probably how her native blood cells got so low. The liver obviouly had a strong reaction to her blood, allowing the stem cell derived population to flourish. she must have been very critical at some point. So now her bones should also be different because pluripotent stem cells that make RBC and WBC also make bone and cartilage.

OK back to losing money in something I know even less about  :-X the stock market game.  ::) :'(

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:17:36 PM »
I found another article that says
""In effect she had had a bone marrow transplant. The majority of her immune system had also switched over to that of the donor.""
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080124/hl_afp/australiahealthchildrentransplant

I cant find de article in the NEJM
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:21:18 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »
I found another article that says
""In effect she had had a bone marrow transplant. The majority of her immune system had also switched over to that of the donor.""
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080124/hl_afp/australiahealthchildrentransplant

having a bone marrow transplant is what happened no doubt, but still....Amazing!

1]; } ?>