April 25, 2024, 02:32:01 PM

Author Topic: Jack in a box: parliamentary agenda kicking out FIFA work  (Read 5027 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Jack in a box: parliamentary agenda kicking out FIFA work
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »
JACK IN A BOX
Ad hoc parliamentary agenda kicking out FIFA work
Ria Taitt (Political Editor, Express)

Sunday, January 27th 2008

The continuing conflict between Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner, a football jefe with a massive constituency outside of Trinidad and Tobago, and Leader of Government Business Colm Imbert, over the parliamentary agenda has escalated.

Government's decision to move the debate on the crime motion, which was initially scheduled for Carnival Friday to this Wednesday, has provoked the ire of Warner, who has had to forego at the last minute a commitment to attend an international meeting in Croatia. This, after having paid US $58,000 for a first-class ticket. Warner has argued repeatedly "in the interest of efficiency", for a set parliamentary agenda.

An irate Warner ("I have never been as angry as I am now"), told Sunday Express that he had been told by Imbert in Parliament last week that the crime debate would begin on February 1 (Friday). "We protested because when you come into town on Carnival Friday, you can't get back out (because of the traffic, the crowds and closure of roads). His (Imbert) response was 'We are in the majority and we are in charge'."

Warner said the UNC accepted this and since it had been decided that he (Warner) would be the next speaker whenever the debate resumed, he made arrangements to suit.

"I was scheduled to arrive in Croatia on Tuesday for the Congress of the 53 countries of European football where I am meeting the president of FIFA and all the other confederation presidents. Up to yesterday (Thursday) they asked me if I am coming. I confirmed 'yes, I am'. 

"Furthermore, they agreed that I would be allowed to leave the Congress at noon on Thursday, take a flight at 2 p.m. to Paris, fly to Montreal, then to Toronto and leave there at 11 p.m Thursday night to arrive in Port of Spain at 5.36 a.m. on Friday and join the debate at 1.30. I paid my airfare and then one afternoon, Imbert calls Mr Maharaj to say he moving the debate from Friday to Wednesday," Warner said.

Warner, who has a pilot project with Maharaj to use private security in crime-ridden communities, said because he wants to take part in the crime debate, he cancelled his trip. He contended though, that Wednesday is just as inappropriate a day for the debate because all of this (Carnival) week, nobody would be listening (to what is being said in Parliament). And it is being done deliberately by Government to kill the debate (on crime)," he said.

"No country can be run this way," he said, adding that he would not be surprised if Imbert said now that the Wednesday sitting is off. Noting that the UK, Australia and Canada had an annual agenda, Warner called for an agenda for at least next six months. "Even one month! Is that too much to ask?" he questioned. "They feel they 'spiting' me? But when I leave here, is not Jack Warner, is Trinidad and Tobago!" he thundered.

He said when he goes to Parliament this Wednesday to speak on the crime motion, "on my mother's grave, they are going to pay! It is going to be the mother of all debates!" he roared.

In response, Imbert stated that he was tired. "I have had enough of Mr Warner's whining, moaning and complaining! He is behaving like a child!" Stating that Government, based of the exigencies of the situation, could decide to call Parliament at any time and that these were the rules, Imbert asked: 

"Why did Mr Warner take up this job to be a member of Parliament when he had all of these important things to do in the football world? He needs to make up his mind on what he intends to be-a big football jefe or a member of the House of Representatives."

On Warner's suggestion that Government was "spiting" him, Imbert countered: "If Mr Warner believes that Government schedules its business with him in mind, then he has delusions of grandeur. That is not how we conduct our business".

Imbert said Government chose Wednesday as the day for discussion on the crime motion because there would be a number of events on Carnival Friday and there would be a lot of music in Port of Spain. He added that in the past the music trucks would drive pass the Parliament building "with the Carib girls ... and other distractions" and MPs would have difficulty hearing themselves inside the Chamber.

Therefore, he said, Government decided that it was the responsible thing to move the debate forward to allow for a proper ventilation of the issues. "And all these decisions are made after a careful consideration of all the factors involved. If Mr Warner cannot understand that, he should quit!" Imbert thundered.

Imbert said it was the first time in his 16 years as an MP that he was hearing a member of Parliament complain so bitterly that parliamentary proceedings are interfering with his business activities. Imbert, who pointed out that he had been in business during his last period in Opposition, stressed that he understood that Parliament was supreme and therefore he never made a fuss when the UNC government called Parliament "at a moment's notice".

He urged Warner to "look at the example of Vasant Bharath who has quit his job as CEO of Nutrimix in order to be a full-time parliamentarian".

"Obviously, he recogises that Parliament comes first. So perhaps he should counsel Mr Warner," Imbert advised.

truetrini

Re: Jack in a box: parliamentary agenda kicking out FIFA work
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »
What airline charge jack $58,000 US for ah first class ticket boy?

Ways....!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:47:49 PM »

Ways....!
dais FIFA money goin into Simpauls ???
just asking eh ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »

Ways....!

$ 58,000,00 US !!!! Jack flying on the new Branson space jet.

But even so business class is changeable for no fee. Jack jus full of shit.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:11:37 AM »

Ways....!

Jack was flying on de space shuttle...

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 05:47:04 AM »
Surely, FIFA, or at least CONCACAF would be paying this airfare?

If Mr Warner can use a FIFA private jet to visit Mandella as part of his election campaign, why doesn't he use this to go directly to Croatia after the debate on weds? Then he can do both?

I wonder how many other MPs are bothered that the date has changed? I should imagine that most are pleased to be able to attend the carnival on friday.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 08:23:17 AM »
$58,000US??  Simpaul's is alive and well i see..

i feel we does underestimate dis man (and FIFA by extension) avenues for corruption yes..

and so what if they change the date of the debate?? The parliament is not there to accomodate your FIFA schedule.. really and truly as an MP you should be available for any date set..

steups

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 09:45:24 AM »
From the first time I heard Jack was running for some seat, I wondered how in the world he expected to adequately fulfill both duties of FIFA and T&T politics.  :thinking:
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:49:47 AM »
Aye allyuh remember the old people saying..........'You want to have your cake and still eat it too'. ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 10:07:45 AM »
I think the math is addin up

dat $58k is not for jack alone. Keep in mind.he hadda fly de hermetically sealed casket he does sleep in,, plus all de trini cadavers he does snack on when night time come
For me and you is like takin ah couple bags of Crix to croatia

The flight sound cheap now ent?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »

dat $58k is not for jack alone. Keep in mind.he hadda fly de hermetically sealed casket he does sleep in,, plus all de trini cadavers he does snack on when night time come

Yuh is ah royal arse..lol! :rotfl:

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »
but WTF... who is Jack that de government has to plan around his schedule?
Jack yuh pass boldfaced yes. everybody else does quit their day job to represent the people of the constituency.

Jack ah sure if FIFA really love yuh, dey go keep de job open for yuh to come back,  ;)  right?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »
Surely, FIFA, or at least CONCACAF would be paying this airfare?

To put it plainly the idea is have Simpauls maximize their profit by selling far above margin. Purchase the ticket there and get reimbursed from FIFA.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:36:31 PM »
JACK IN A BOX
Ad hoc parliamentary agenda kicking out FIFA work
Ria Taitt (Political Editor, Express)

Sunday, January 27th 2008

The continuing conflict between Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner, a football jefe with a massive constituency outside of Trinidad and Tobago, and Leader of Government Business Colm Imbert, over the parliamentary agenda has escalated.

Government's decision to move the debate on the crime motion, which was initially scheduled for Carnival Friday to this Wednesday, has provoked the ire of Warner, who has had to forego at the last minute a commitment to attend an international meeting in Croatia. This, after having paid US $58,000 for a first-class ticket. Warner has argued repeatedly "in the interest of efficiency", for a set parliamentary agenda.

An irate Warner ("I have never been as angry as I am now"), told Sunday Express that he had been told by Imbert in Parliament last week that the crime debate would begin on February 1 (Friday). "We protested because when you come into town on Carnival Friday, you can't get back out (because of the traffic, the crowds and closure of roads). His (Imbert) response was 'We are in the majority and we are in charge'."

Warner said the UNC accepted this and since it had been decided that he (Warner) would be the next speaker whenever the debate resumed, he made arrangements to suit.

"I was scheduled to arrive in Croatia on Tuesday for the Congress of the 53 countries of European football where I am meeting the president of FIFA and all the other confederation presidents. Up to yesterday (Thursday) they asked me if I am coming. I confirmed 'yes, I am'.

"Furthermore, they agreed that I would be allowed to leave the Congress at noon on Thursday, take a flight at 2 p.m. to Paris, fly to Montreal, then to Toronto and leave there at 11 p.m Thursday night to arrive in Port of Spain at 5.36 a.m. on Friday and join the debate at 1.30. I paid my airfare and then one afternoon, Imbert calls Mr Maharaj to say he moving the debate from Friday to Wednesday," Warner said.

Warner, who has a pilot project with Maharaj to use private security in crime-ridden communities, said because he wants to take part in the crime debate, he cancelled his trip. He contended though, that Wednesday is just as inappropriate a day for the debate because all of this (Carnival) week, nobody would be listening (to what is being said in Parliament). And it is being done deliberately by Government to kill the debate (on crime)," he said.

"No country can be run this way," he said, adding that he would not be surprised if Imbert said now that the Wednesday sitting is off. Noting that the UK, Australia and Canada had an annual agenda, Warner called for an agenda for at least next six months. "Even one month! Is that too much to ask?" he questioned. "They feel they 'spiting' me? But when I leave here, is not Jack Warner, is Trinidad and Tobago!" he thundered.

He said when he goes to Parliament this Wednesday to speak on the crime motion, "on my mother's grave, they are going to pay! It is going to be the mother of all debates!" he roared.

In response, Imbert stated that he was tired. "I have had enough of Mr Warner's whining, moaning and complaining! He is behaving like a child!" Stating that Government, based of the exigencies of the situation, could decide to call Parliament at any time and that these were the rules, Imbert asked:

"Why did Mr Warner take up this job to be a member of Parliament when he had all of these important things to do in the football world? He needs to make up his mind on what he intends to be-a big football jefe or a member of the House of Representatives."

On Warner's suggestion that Government was "spiting" him, Imbert countered: "If Mr Warner believes that Government schedules its business with him in mind, then he has delusions of grandeur. That is not how we conduct our business".

Imbert said Government chose Wednesday as the day for discussion on the crime motion because there would be a number of events on Carnival Friday and there would be a lot of music in Port of Spain. He added that in the past the music trucks would drive pass the Parliament building "with the Carib girls ... and other distractions" and MPs would have difficulty hearing themselves inside the Chamber.

Therefore, he said, Government decided that it was the responsible thing to move the debate forward to allow for a proper ventilation of the issues. "And all these decisions are made after a careful consideration of all the factors involved. If Mr Warner cannot understand that, he should quit!" Imbert thundered.

Imbert said it was the first time in his 16 years as an MP that he was hearing a member of Parliament complain so bitterly that parliamentary proceedings are interfering with his business activities. Imbert, who pointed out that he had been in business during his last period in Opposition, stressed that he understood that Parliament was supreme and therefore he never made a fuss when the UNC government called Parliament "at a moment's notice".

He urged Warner to "look at the example of Vasant Bharath who has quit his job as CEO of Nutrimix in order to be a full-time parliamentarian".

"Obviously, he recogises that Parliament comes first. So perhaps he should counsel Mr Warner," Imbert advised.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 07:14:37 PM »
Jack just full of Jokes

Jack you make your bed,I mean casket,now you have to lie in it

Jack even Lucifer know ,you cant cannot serve two masters,so make your choice

Is it the business of the people of T&T,our your business with FIFA

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »
Extremely loud steups
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »
i think jack buy ah Virgin ticket to fly around d moon...

In all my years as ah world traveller...jack really talkin up in he rass...no shame...

Truetrini..doe say yuh tell meh so
Ah say it, how ah see it

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 12:31:22 AM »
i think jack buy ah Virgin ticket to fly around d moon...

In all my years as ah world traveller...jack really talkin up in he rass...no shame...

Truetrini..doe say yuh tell meh so

well at least yuh honest enough to come out and admit yuh was wrong.

Yuh still feel he deserve ah Trinity Cross?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53:32 AM »

Yuh is ah royal arse..lol! :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Like only Dutty could do it!!!... :rotfl:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 06:54:47 AM »
From the first time I heard Jack was running for some seat, I wondered how in the world he expected to adequately fulfill both duties of FIFA and T&T politics.  :thinking:

Those were my thoughts exactly....and I actually went on to think that he was going to give up he FIFA meal ticket to serve the people.....boy was I wrong... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »
Warner, who has a pilot project with Maharaj to use private security in crime-ridden communities,

Well look how Jack ready to open a security business now.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 10:19:37 AM »

Those were my thoughts exactly....and I actually went on to think that he was going to give up he FIFA meal ticket to serve the people.....boy was I wrong... ::) ::)
He jus skulking around so that one day he could put his hands on the "National Treasury"
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
That is a trip.

Tuesday: Croatia
Thursday: Paris -> Montreal -> Toronto
Friday: Port of Spain

4 legs, that is only $14,000 per flight. 
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »

Ways....!
American Airlines.

He was on my flight heading up to Miami on sunday. Ah see him and get vex one time!!!

Imbert right. He must be crazy to expect that the government should clear his schedule with him!! :devil:
TnT Patriot

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »
JACK: What Are Your Priorities?
speakouttnt.blogspot.com

One of Jack Warner's Lavish Meetings with FIFA

You know. Sometimes it make me wonder where Warner's priorities lie, because there seems to always be some sort of conflict with regard to his parliamentary responsibilities and FIFA activities, which are more frequent these days. It is quite obvious that Trinidad & Tobago and the needs of our citizens comes second to football.

Jack Warner as we have seen over the years, is a very strange character. Because he will communicate in way that makes the ordinary members of the public feel as though he is on their side. When in fact, he is in the corner contemplating with himself as to how he can manipulate the public to rake in the cash, from their pockets of hard work.

I honestly do not know why the people of Trinidad & Tobago tolerate such a character, this guy loves to work in the dark and make people look like fools. What happened to transparency? well of course this is not relevant to Mr Warner. Does anyone remember what Jack Warner did during T&T's first appearance in world cup 2006?

Well luckily I am here to jog your memories. Jack warner and his son secretly struck up deals to sell thousands of World Cup tickets through their travel company for excessive prices worth millions of UK pounds, so that they can manipulate the citizens of Trinidad & Tobago.

Many people were eager to go and see their national footballers represent them on the international arena. However all the legitimate tickets were bought out, and as the Warner's got hold of the rest, they decided they would scam ordinary citizens out of their money by artificially increasing the ticket prices.

And to add insult to injury, after the world cup our national team was meant to get a decent salary of about £5.8m to share, but instead he thought it would be funny to give them a laughable amount of money, £400 each.

Making T&T efforts into the world cup, almost a shambles, becauce he had no gratitude for our national players and their exceptional performance. Our football federation looked atrocious and foolish before the international community, as a result of Jack Warner's all to predictable greedy antics in not only football but in general.

Continue reading

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 04:54:41 PM »
Warner, who has a pilot project with Maharaj to use private security in crime-ridden communities,

Well look how Jack ready to open a security business now.

think he done have one actually....Mi5 i believe.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »
What if half the MPs on both side of the aisle had decided to keep their other jobs. And all of them ask the speaker to convene parliament so that they could do their other job. How will  that work? Is either MP or FIFA. Choose.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Two red cards for Martin Joseph
...as UNC’s Jack Warner ‘officiates’ on crime
Thursday 31st January, 2008

UNC MP Jack Warner holds up his two red cards which were intended to eject National Security Minister Martin Joseph off the playing field for his failure to deal with T&T’s crime problem, at yesterday’s sitting of parliament. UNC colleague Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj seems amused. Photo: Keith Matthews

:
:
My Fifa house in order—Warner

UNC MP Jack Warner says his FIFA house is in order and his commitments to the football organisation have nothing to do with his complaints about how the Parliament agenda is planned.

At yesterday’s session Warner took the opportunity to reiterate his disagreement with the way the Parliament agenda was being planned by PNM Leader of Government Business Colm Imbert.

Warner said he had only received the order paper for the last session, hours before it began.

Warner denied reports that his objection had anything to do with his FIFA commitments:

‘My FIFA House is in order,” Warner added saying he knew that he could not miss six session in a rwo.

“A PNM MP ( Gordon Draper) was away a whole year,” Warner added.

He said soon after Parliament started he had sent Imbert examples of how the Canadian, UK And Australian Parliaments deal with agendas. But he said Imbert had not taken up the offer of assistance, since he said PNM had won the election 26 - 15. (GA)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:01 PM »
like yuh hadda buy the paper to read this article...talk bout tease.

...Jack the architect of stadium overcrowding
Trinidad Guardian
 Thursday 31st January, 2008[/b][/color]

A July 1994 report of a Football Commission of Enquiry revealed that the National Stadium in Port-of-Spain, venue of the November 1989 World Cup qualifying game between T&T’s Strike Squad and the United States, was grossly overcrowded and posed a potential danger to patrons...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 08:11:22 AM »

MARCHING ORDERS: Opposition Chief Whip Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj (background) has a good laugh while Chaguanas West MP 'red-cards' National Security Minister (not in photo) during yesterday's sitting of the Lower House.
Author: RATTAN JADOO

Jack red-cards Govt
By CLINT CHAN TACK
Trinidad Newsday
Thursday, January 31 2008

AT THE height of the Carnival Season, UNC A Chaguanas West MP and FIFA vice-president Jack Warner made ole mas in the House yesterday, red-carding National Security Minister Martin Joseph for his handling of crime, accusing Prime Minister Patrick Manning of feeding the country’s “crime tiger” and hitting Govt for reducing Carnival to “a bra and panty” show.

As Warner, in the style of a referee at a football match, pulled out a red card and raised it while declaring that Joseph should resign, Opposition Chief Whip Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj burst into laughter at the spectacle.

“The crime we are experiencing today is the direct result of the Prime Minister,” Warner charged. He claimed that it was the PNM which “wined and dined” community leaders and that Manning “has been feeding the crime tiger and he can’t stop now.”

Noting Joseph had not signed the “resignation letter” offered by Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal, Warner flashed two red cards at Joseph and called for him to resign. Warner claimed the PNM was only interested in looking good and resorted to using “a clown of a calypsonian” to sing about Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday to divert public attention away from crime.

“And they ask why calypso is dying!” Warner scoffed. He also claimed that former PNM MP Fitzgerald Hinds was involved in a new company formed to transport prisoners to and from the courts.

But Leader of Government Business Colm Imbert fired back, chronicling several white collar crimes which he said took place under the former UNC regime and condemning the Opposition for trying to limit yesterday’s crime debate in Parliament only to homicides and gang violence.

He quoted from letters written by foreign businessmen found guilty in the US for their role in the Piarco Airport Project which took place under the UNC. Imbert said Government has successfully recovered $25 million in restitution from that project thus far. “That is the success of the Government in fighting crime,” Imbert declared to vigorous desk-thumping from Government benches.

Imbert trained his guns on Warner, quoting from a 1994 Football Commission of Inquiry Report which said the National Stadium was “overloaded by 100 percent” for the November 19, 1989 World Cup qualifier between this country and the US and there was a gross overselling of tickets for that match. Warner objected to Imbert’s claim that he was “the architect for all of this”, saying this was not stated in the report.

But Imbert dismissed Warner’s claims saying the report was “replete” with references to the FIFA Vice-President.

Imbert said the construction of four stadia in this country for the 2001 FIFA Under-17 World Cup escalated from $135 million in 1997 to $431 million in 2000. He said CONCACAF, of which Warner is president, assumed responsibility for that project and was allegedly paid $6 million for weightlifting and drug-testing equipment for these stadia which have yet to arrive.

Imbert slammed St Augustine MP Vasant Bharath in his former capacity as National Flour Mills CEO for the $30 million rice scandal of 1998. Bharath tried to deny Imbert’s charges but Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday told him not to respond, because Imbert was trying to “shift the debate.”

1]; } ?>