April 17, 2024, 07:37:39 PM

Author Topic: offside rule! from a referee's mouth  (Read 2247 times)

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
offside rule! from a referee's mouth
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »
How many time have you heard the phrase 'Professional Foul? It does not exist'; then there's the old wives' tale that 'If the ball is played backwards you can't be offside'. WRONG!
Source:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=502840&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: offside rule! from a referee's mouth
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
How many time have you heard the phrase 'Professional Foul? It does not exist'; then there's the old wives' tale that 'If the ball is played backwards you can't be offside'. WRONG!
Source:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=502840&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901

That is ah kinda uncommon situation to end up offside... but technically correct.

If when the ball is played the man offside... i.e. further advanced than his own player.... he would have to run back toward the ball and retrieve it before anybody else....

Professional foul exists as a term of description but not in the rule books...
This is correctly described as DOGSO... denial of a goal scoring opportunity... at which the referees are directed to issue a red card.

And from the article... yes you cannot score an own goal from a direct freekick... this actually happen in a game i play in back in the day and the referee called a corner correctly... it cause real drama though...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:04:10 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »
All the years I've been watching football (and having played some organized football as well), I too was unclear about offside only being called on a forward pass. But as FF said, such a scenario would be so bizarre & rare that it's barely worth thinking about...

Also had no idea about the own goal/corner kick rule on direct free kicks- once again a scenario so bizarre.....Would like to hear the rationale behind that ruling.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trininho

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »
As a referee (class 3, working my way up), I have encountered this situation before.  I can offer a partial rationale for one situation, but even The Laws of the Game (Law 13, pg 42) merely states the rule and gives little insight.

For a direct free-kick taken by the defending team INSIDE the penalty area, the ball is only considered live and in-play after is passes beyond the penalty area.  Therefore if the ball was kicked backward (and into the goal) from a position inside the area, it would technically never have gone into play.  This is at least my interpretation.  This happened in a game once in which I was ref and fortunately I knew the rule...unfortunately the opposing coach didn't and he gave me hell for not allowing the goal.  The rationale for this case is the ball is not in play.  However...

for the case where the defending team takes the kick OUTSIDE of the penalty area, and scores directly, no rationale is listed (as far as I have read).  So now I'm curious.  I will ask my head referee when we meet and hopefully he can explain as far as a rationale is concerned.  Meanwhile, it would be interesting to hear any fellow refs to weigh in on this.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »

If u play the ball back and it hit off a defender and go forward...not too unlikely for that situation compared to the player running back for the ball.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
As a referee (class 3, working my way up), I have encountered this situation before.  I can offer a partial rationale for one situation, but even The Laws of the Game (Law 13, pg 42) merely states the rule and gives little insight.

For a direct free-kick taken by the defending team INSIDE the penalty area, the ball is only considered live and in-play after is passes beyond the penalty area.  Therefore if the ball was kicked backward (and into the goal) from a position inside the area, it would technically never have gone into play.  This is at least my interpretation.  This happened in a game once in which I was ref and fortunately I knew the rule...unfortunately the opposing coach didn't and he gave me hell for not allowing the goal.  The rationale for this case is the ball is not in play.  However...

for the case where the defending team takes the kick OUTSIDE of the penalty area, and scores directly, no rationale is listed (as far as I have read).  So now I'm curious.  I will ask my head referee when we meet and hopefully he can explain as far as a rationale is concerned.  Meanwhile, it would be interesting to hear any fellow refs to weigh in on this.

Law 13 says that a direct or indirect free kick kicked directly into the team's own goal is not a goal but a corner to the opposing team.

I was ref'ing a youth game where the defending team had a free kick from their own penalty area and de youth man slip when he was kicking the ball. it didn't make it out the penalty box before an attacker pounce on it and score. so rightfully ah call it back, talk about noise. at least the coach knew the rules.

the worse ting bout ref'ing a youth game in the US is the ignorant parents. ah wanted to stop the game and get meh copy of the rules to them shut up. steups

Offline Trininho

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:18:13 PM »

Law 13 says that a direct or indirect free kick kicked directly into the team's own goal is not a goal but a corner to the opposing team.

I was ref'ing a youth game where the defending team had a free kick from their own penalty area and de youth man slip when he was kicking the ball. it didn't make it out the penalty box before an attacker pounce on it and score. so rightfully ah call it back, talk about noise. at least the coach knew the rules.

the worse ting bout ref'ing a youth game in the US is the ignorant parents. ah wanted to stop the game and get meh copy of the rules to them shut up. steups

Same here in Canada. Ignorant parents is de worse in trute.  Ah ref ah yute game where I give ah 10 year old a red card.  He foul his opponent and stop a clear goal. he was de last defender...so he had to go.  De boy start to cry, and I feel sorry for him because I know he didn't really know better.  All I could hear was cuss from the stands.  After the game, de boy mudder and fadder try to confront me (not in the meaningful dialog kind of way)...ah had to run to my car for cover.  luckily i had park in de road dat day.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 02:27:01 PM »

It happen today Roma vs AC Milan

Roma taking the corner and the man tap the ball backward to the fellah standing right there.  Except the Roma player was behind all the Milan players save for the Keeper.  The linesman get it right and flag (kudos to him).  Well dem Roma players was pissed but the linesman was right!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »

Same here in Canada. Ignorant parents is de worse in trute.  Ah ref ah yute game where I give ah 10 year old a red card.  He foul his opponent and stop a clear goal. he was de last defender...so he had to go.  De boy start to cry, and I feel sorry for him because I know he didn't really know better.  All I could hear was cuss from the stands.  After the game, de boy mudder and fadder try to confront me (not in the meaningful dialog kind of way)...ah had to run to my car for cover.  luckily i had park in de road dat day.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ah now c this yes
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
anybody see the goal?

real assness oui...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcxhnvJO3Tc
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »

I probably would have taken just a second and explain to him that he shouldn't be too upset, the red doesn't mean he's a bad player....and then tell him what the rule was.  At that age every opportunity becomes a teaching opportunity (although you'd hope that is what the coach would himself do).

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 06:05:58 PM »

Ok scratch that.  It wasn't offside they call (Roma vs AC Milan)...I think they say the ref say they do it too fast or something.  They try an undercover kinda thing to tap the ball into play and walk away like u letting the other player come to take the corner but then they just take the ball and run to goal.

1]; } ?>