March 29, 2024, 08:12:28 AM

Author Topic: Arsenal buy Gillinghams 15 year old striker  (Read 1342 times)

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Arsenal buy Gillinghams 15 year old striker
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:56:55 AM »
Thought this may be of interest, especially in light of Brittos possible link to Portsmouth.

Gillingham striker Luke Freeman has officially completed his protracted move to Arsenal for an undisclosed fee.

Freeman, 15, had been in negotiations with the Premier League side over the past few weeks and has now signed an initial student registration, which will turn into a professional contract when he turns 17.

The teenager - who has made three senior appearances for the League One side - hit the headlines back in November when he became the youngest player to feature in the FA Cup after coming off the bench to face Barnet in the first round.

Freeman is now relishing the prospect of joining the Gunners.

"This is a great opportunity for me," he said.

"I thank Gillingham for everything they did but I am now hoping to be a success with Arsenal.

"They play good attractive football and the manager has a good history of nurturing and developing young talent."

Newcastle and West Ham were also among the clubs reportedly interested in signing Freeman and he moves to the Emirates with the best wishes of Gills boss Mark Stimson and chairman Paul Scally.

"We are sorry to see Luke go because we know he will be a big talent in years to come," said Stimson.

"Arsenal are a great side and working with those top players will only develop his game.

"I'm pleased for Luke because he is a lovely boy and we will always remember that he made his first appearances for Gillingham."

Scally added: "We reluctantly agreed to let Luke leave because it would have been unfair to stand in the way of a player's development.

"We have agreed an undisclosed fee for his services and that fee could be quite lucrative if he develops to the extent we believe is possible."

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal buy Gillinghams 15 year old striker
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:41:18 AM »
Giilingham couldn't throw Kelvin Jack into the deal as a bonus?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »
This  reminds me of pennant
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:14 PM »
Apart from his age at signing. Does the boy have a drinking problem (Pennant's problem)?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »
Apart from his age at signing. Does the boy have a drinking problem (Pennant's problem)?

gosh not in that way dread
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:46:24 PM »

Young Canadian joins Gillingham

January 31, 2008

GILLINGHAM, England (Ticker) - Canadian youth international Simeon Jackson has joined League One club Gillingham.

Jackson completed a transfer worth $300,000 on Thursday from non-league club Rushden & Diamonds.

Jackson, 20, has scored 18 goals for Rushden this season. He has signed a three-and-a-half year deal with the Gills.

"It is a great opportunity for me to make the step up to League One and show what I can do so I want to take this chance with both hands," Jackson said.

1]; } ?>