March 28, 2024, 06:03:26 AM

Author Topic: Rijsbergen looking to future.  (Read 12907 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Rijsbergen looking to future.
« on: January 31, 2008, 06:12:37 AM »
By: Joel Bailey (Newsday).
[/size]

Wim Rijsbergen has effectively ended his term as coach of the Trinidad and Tobago football team and is looking forward to a new job as soon as possible.
The 56-year-old Rijsbergen made his views known in a recent interview with the newspaper de Verdieping Trouw in his native Netherlands.
Rijsbergen was handed a six-month suspension, without pay, by the TTFF (Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation) on December 4 after a confrontation with a Federation official.
On January 3, the TTFF unveiled 58-year-old Colombian Francisco Maturana as the new coach effective Friday (February 1) while Rijsbergen’s position will be reviewed after his ban is lifted on June 4.
In an earlier story on the Willem II Tilburg (a Dutch First Division club) website, Rijsbergen was quoted as stating that his task with the national team became unworkable.
This he said was mainly due to the strike action between the TTFF and the majority of the World Cup players last year which resulted in a number of friendly internationals being scrapped. The ex-New York Cosmos standout was given a four-year contract to lead the national team to the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, having served as assistant to his countryman Leo Beenhakker during the successful 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.
Rijsbergen’s fellow Dutchman, assistant coach Jan Van Deinsen, resigned last month due to a lingering back problem. And another team assistant, Anton Corneal, who guided the national Under-17 team to the 2007 FIFA World Cup in South Korea, was named as the interim coach until Maturana’s contract officially starts tomorrow.
In the article on the de Verdieping Trouw’s newspaper’s internet edition, Rijsbergen admitted that the transition from qualifying for the 2006 World Cup in Germany to aspiring for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa was greatly affected by the player impasse.
As a result, he was left to field a virtual local-based team for both the Digicel Cup (in January) and the CONCACAF Gold Cup (in June). “I worked with players from the local league,” he said. “Their quality is not great. Not for nothing were (with the inclusion of the foreign-based pros), at most, four local boys in the final selection.
“If you want to achieve something as a footballer, you have to leave the island at a young age,” he affirmed. “Only abroad you can teach them the discipline associated with a professional. Their national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree,” Rijsbergen said. “That belongs to their culture, but between merriment and athletics is a huge difference.”
Rijsbergen also bemoaned the lack of funding available to the team’s preparation, whereby members of the technical staff were not paid for over a month at a time, and repeated plans for a live-in camp, especially with the youth teams, never materialised.
“It was even worse,” said a disappointed Rijsbergen. “Five of the last six internationals were cancelled due to a lack of money.”
The former 1974 and 1978 World Cup defender also commented on a situation, ahead of last year’s Gold Cup, whereby some members of the squad were stranded in Honduras, en route to Los Angeles, United States.
“From my own pocket, I paid $7,000 for new visas and plane tickets to regulate,” he said. “A half-day before the first game (against El Salvador), did they arrive in the US.”
TTFF special advisor and FIFA vice-president Jack Austin Warner noted last week that the local federation will be firm in their stance against Rijsbergen.
The Dutchman also plan to sue the TTFF for breach of contract, stating that Maturana’s appointment should be null and void until a settlement has been reached between him and the Federation. The six-month suspension was enforced since, according to FIFA rules, it is the length of time stipulated to allow inquires and decisions to be made on the particular issue. When asked about his view on Warner, Rijsbergen said, “Without him, no decision was taken. He bears too much hats.
His party lost the recent elections,” Rijsbergen continued. “The government remained in power. There is also an investigation into financial flows within the football.
“Behind the scenes, things happen which I could not deal with,” he affirmed. “One thing I do know, they wanted to get rid of me. I was expensive and too complex. Sleeping dogs had to be left in peace.”
Pertaining to his future aspirations, Rijsbergen said, “My next job should at least be a nice one. But distances should not deter me.” He does not think his next stint will be in his homeland. “You need a certain qualification,” he admitted. “My life would not be a failure if I was with Real Madrid. Such clubs lean heavier on image than a balanced curriculum vitae (CV). “Look at (Ruud) Gullit at LA Galaxy, really FC Hollywood,” Rijsbergen added. “He will never make that team champions. Together with his wife, Ruud is a nice package to present to the outside world.
“For (current Netherlands coach Marco) Van Basten, is the same. With his status he earned as a footballer, he can get any job. And no one knows yet whether he makes the players better. That is why I prefer to choose the adventure,” he ended
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 06:15:16 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rijsbergen looking to future.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:18:15 AM »
Well yes
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:38:35 AM »
oh boy, here we go!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:46:13 AM »
The man right...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:54:37 AM »
“If you want to achieve something as a footballer, you have to leave the island at a young age,” he affirmed. “Only abroad you can teach them the discipline associated with a professional. Their national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree,” Rijsbergen said. “That belongs to their culture, but between merriment and athletics is a huge difference.”

“From my own pocket, I paid $7,000 for new visas and plane tickets to regulate,” he said. “A half-day before the first game (against El Salvador), did they arrive in the US.”

It's almost like the whole Germany '06 experience has taught us nothing... :beermug:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:44 AM »
Yuh see how de man does lie, quietly drinkly under a palm tree my foot.

Drinking noisily in  rum shops an by the river would be the correct thing for the man to say
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:23:08 AM »
Wim only say what we know if u want to b a pro go outside TNT. If u want to see d Pro League players dis weekend check dem fettin like evrybody else. so if man get a contract in d Faroke Is take it because dey more professional in dey lil toe than we
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »

Drinking noisily in  rum shops an by the river would be the correct thing for the man to say

;D good one...lol
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »

it all depend on the quality and quantity of d rum.

also on whether is a tabanca rum session or not.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
Their national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree,”

I eh no bout allyuh  but I take offence to this  statement!!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:00:14 AM »
Their national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree,”

why?

Let me guess- the palm tree comment is what rubbing yuh the wrong way.....

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »

I think "eating under a palm tree" is a bit extreme. Doh know bout you guys but we didn't have no palm tree!!! Ah may occasionally have partaken in the odd roast corn or KFC two piece under the Coconut trees we had, but due to the extent of jep nest in the trees and resulting bothersome pothounds on commencement of my meal .....this was not a very regular occurrence  ::)

As for the rest, that was most of my weekend from the age of 13 onwards.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 10:04:24 AM »

Funny...but I copied that same thing and was ready to come post about it.  I know we Trinis like tuh brag to all who would listen what a carefree party people we are and how we take liming tuh new degrees...but this man here making it sound like we's ah bunch ah underachieving slackers.  You'd swear none ah we have one ambitious or creative bone in we body, we might as well be shuffling and dancing and smiling fuh massa...s'long as we have we drink in we hand.

amazing.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I say so also but he forget that we does cover we self in fig leaf...

Wim talk a lot of truth here though about our selves as a people and athletes....

Who vex, vex.... when I came to the states, Cleopatra Borel-Brown and a few others came to Coppin with me, and you could see the vast difference between us and their athletes.... I know this is a one sided perspective, but in general. I think our Federation does not help nurture the best in our athletes and ballers.

eg  It have a certain popular footballer, who traveling the world looking for a team at 30.... and we know his stories.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 10:10:20 AM »

Funny...but I copied that same thing and was ready to come post about it.  I know we Trinis like tuh brag to all who would listen what a carefree party people we are and how we take liming tuh new degrees...but this man here making it sound like we's ah bunch ah underachieving slackers.  You'd swear none ah we have one ambitious or creative bone in we body, we might as well be shuffling and dancing and smiling fuh massa...s'long as we have we drink in we hand.

amazing.

IMHO I believe many Trinis live below their true potential... or allow themselves or circumstances to let them live way below their potential...

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
Yeah. The palm tree part make mih blink kinda hard. But I wasn't offended by the general sentiment. It's called hyperbole. It's a legitimate device of communication.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 10:12:58 AM »

Rijsbergen also bemoaned the lack of funding available to the team’s preparation, whereby members of the technical staff were not paid for over a month at a time, and repeated plans for a live-in camp, especially with the youth teams, never materialised.

d man was not doing he wuk aye

Rijsbergen said, “Without him, no decision was taken. He bears too much hats.
His party lost the recent elections,” Rijsbergen continued. “The government remained in power. There is also an investigation into financial flows within the football.

I am very keen to see how things would work out with this columbian

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
allyuh fail to realize tnt need to be serouis inthe game of football. it's very wrong for him to leave like that.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
They just translate wrong cause Palm tree equate to Coconut tree, so the man talk the truth.

I sure when the footballers not training and he ask them what they do yesterday on their day off they would respond ''I went and lime by a partner'' or "Take a lil drink with a padna" or "went to the beach and unwind. And to us, that is a safe answer to give coach when he ask about ur free time, instead of saying ' i went and brush two skegs' or 'i was fetein whole nite'

The man just combine all three answers and say what we is do...and it is the truth. Stop being in denial.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »
They just translate wrong cause Palm tree equate to Coconut tree, so the man talk the truth.

I sure when the footballers not training and he ask them what they do yesterday on their day off they would respond ''I went and lime by a partner'' or "Take a lil drink with a padna" or "went to the beach and unwind. And to us, that is a safe answer to give coach when he ask about ur free time, instead of saying ' i went and brush two skegs' or 'i was fetein whole nite'

The man just combine all three answers and say what we is do...and it is the truth. Stop being in denial.

ent  ;D

Too many of us does pull de wool over our eyes and let men like Hardest, Dwarika, Whitley and countless go dey own way..

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »

ent  ;D

Too many of us does pull de wool over our eyes and let men like Hardest, Dwarika, Whitley and countless go dey own way..

What the man say is true.....people here think natural talent alone will get you places. The kind of extra work that a professional athlete has to put in to be amongst the elite, is remarkable.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 11:02:51 AM »
de palm tree line make me jump but he talk de truth...

remember, he ent talking about me and you, yuh average 8-5 trini citizen, he talking about yuh average pro league footballer..

the level of professionalism for the Trinidadian athlete is way below what is customary in de outside world and that is a fact. We still ent on that level where everything about an athlete's lifestyle points to his career..

which means a daily training regimen, dietary discipline and all of the other sacrifices that go with it..

Daz why we local based cricketers and footballers does look nashy and under-nourished..

Real ballers nuh eat kfc and burger king and nuh drink inna Naris..

Also imagine de man hadda dive in he pocket to pay for man visa in Honduras. I may not have agreed with Wim's lack of tact in the past, but this article certainly does give us a perspective from the other side of the fence.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 11:07:35 AM »
Though I understand the point that Wim and others are making, I can't help but ask... Did Wim even try to motivate the local based to improve their professionalism, or did he just get vex an switch off when he realise the job was more difficult than he thought? To me, even from Beenhaker time; them men jus glance at the local pool and say "Nah, not fuh me sah! I going foreign". Beenhaker had justification as his was a race against time, he couldn't be messing about experimenting with a product he clearly thought was not upto scratch. However Wim was building to 2010 so instead of complaining about cultural shortfalls, should'nt he have been trying to change the mentality of the local based pro's. I know this may not have been the case, but to me Wim just seemed to be focused on preparing a National team rather than building one!

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »
tnt must get there head out a hole and start to take the game of football serouis. the major companies in tnt must use marketing tools to push football as a major sport.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 11:12:51 AM »
well, when de FIFA VP, the president of CONCACAF and CFU ent give a rats ass about the FUTURE of TnT football, what we go do ?

we HAVE TO BLAME de damn National team coach....RIGHT?

allya all right eh
even GC, who undoubtly was the BEST local coach, did get a SMALL blame in he time, not so?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:16:12 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »

remember, he ent talking about me and you, yuh average 8-5 trini citizen, he talking about yuh average pro league footballer..

the level of professionalism for the Trinidadian athlete is way below what is customary in de outside world and that is a fact. We still ent on that level where everything about an athlete's lifestyle points to his career..

which means a daily training regimen, dietary discipline and all of the other sacrifices that go with it..

Daz why we local based cricketers and footballers does look nashy and under-nourished..

Also imagine de man hadda dive in he pocket to pay for man visa in Honduras. I may not have agreed with Wim's lack of tact in the past, but this article certainly does give us a perspective from the other side of the fence.

Omar in 1995 we training for Carifta at the Hasley and we eating cheese paste sandwiches, with kiss cake, drinking solo and orchard drink. When ah come to Coppin State College, de coach hit meh ah tap for drinking coke and chewing bubble gum.... Saying what de a$$ they teach yuh in Trinidad... Talk about embarrassment.

So change needs to start from administration to athletes and then community....

Who vex vex, when you look on Facebook or Myspace at some of our local ballers, what kinda pics you does see ah dem.... Party and hoes....Maracas and Coconut beaches.... ah lie??

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »

Omar in 1995 we training for Carifta at the Hasley and we eating cheese paste sandwiches, with kiss cake, drinking solo and orchard drink. When ah come to Coppin State College, de coach hit meh ah tap for drinking coke and chewing bubble gum.... Saying what de a$$ they teach yuh in Trinidad... Talk about embarrassment.

So change needs to start from administration to athletes and then community....

Who vex vex, when you look on Facebook or Myspace at some of our local ballers, what kinda pics you does see ah dem.... Party and hoes....Maracas and Coconut beaches.... ah lie??
see dat b oth of allya know de scene

we like to lime tooooo much :devil:
and here when I say we, I am taking a shot at the people who RUN football who have NOT got our players to think along these lines of proper eating and having a proper work out regimen
why be serious......eh, why?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:20:17 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »
TTFF put him in a position to fail from the start. He did what he could but if he raised an issue that needed improvement they threw him out.

We lost a good coach for no damn reason.
Hart for president

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »

amazing.

Agreed it's a sweeping generalization- but to me the word "pastime" implies what we culturally do "to pass the time... in other words, what do Trinis do in their spare time when we're not working, studying etc......and it doesn't really comment directly on the level of education, creativity & industriousness of our nation as much as it comments on the breath of activities/things to see or do that are at our disposal locally....and the set of " extra- curricular" (so to speak) activities that ultimately comprise our set of interests....

I agree it's over-simplifies the perception of our nation from a cultural standpoint, but from an outsider who has spent limited time amongst our people, and who's time was probably spent with a select demographic- it's not that hard to see where he'd come up with such a generalization...... plain talk eh no bad manners- Trinis love to lime plenty and talk plenty sh*t....(the drinking part is debatable) and many outsiders consider that a charming quality of our culture. Despite the somewhat inaccurate depiction that it may portray in a sweeping generalization, I don't consider it that offensive.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »
Well ah read all dat everybody have to say so far and ah on de side of de folks who agree dat we does real slack off as a people. As someone say before, not us regular 8-5vers, but generally as a people we doh have what it takes to be disciplined and professional....

TTFF put him in a position to fail from the start. He did what he could but if he raised an issue that needed improvement they threw him out.

We lost a good coach for no damn reason.

oooooohhhhhh   :o.....you real brave boy Supporter.... ;D...wait till fishs read dis..... :whistling:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>