March 28, 2024, 02:55:06 AM

Author Topic: Rijsbergen looking to future.  (Read 12904 times)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Rijsbergen looking to future.
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 07:16:41 AM »
“If you want to achieve something as a footballer, you have to leave the island at a young age,” he affirmed. “Only abroad you can teach them the discipline associated with a professional. Their national pastime is liming, quietly drinking, talking and eating under a palm tree,” Rijsbergen said. “That belongs to their culture, but between merriment and athletics is a huge difference.”

Well yes, this is kix oui.

Allyuh right, the man made a wholly incorrect statement about Trinidadians, footballers or otherwise.

We do not lime, drink, talk shit and eat bake and shark on the beach, when we not working.

Our national pastime is playing the steel pan and surfing the internet or something so obviously.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 07:18:58 AM »
palm tree.....get to the real points in the interview......i right now under a palm tree eating,....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
palm tree.....get to the real points in the interview......i right now under a palm tree eating,....

I freezing my a$$ off in an office and have to go out in de blasted rain soon... I soulda play PFL oui...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
Seein dat dis article was reposted from one in a Dutch Newspaper, I am going to make the (probably incorrect) assumption that the origianl article was in Dutch.

If so, what we would be seein here is a TRANSLATED reproduction.  There might be some things that might be lost, altered etc in translation.

Besides, is all about context.  I assuming is a Sport article and Wim was being asked about his experiences with football in T&T.  Whatever comments he would make I perceived in that context.

I don't see anything wrong with Rijsbergen's comments.  Seems to me they were made in his usual blunt, forthright, some may say tactless manner, but there was nothing inaccurate.  First thing yuh ask any Trini what they most like to do and the TYPICAL INITIAL response is lime and/or fete.  WE promote that.  Not Wim.  But because he say it and how it may have been said and/or interpreted, is a problem for some.

PERHAPS the old adage rings true in this instance.  The truth offends.  Then again, that might mean for some peeps because I say dat, I could do no wrong.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:30:00 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2008, 09:32:35 AM »
is jack translate dat article! :D

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »
and surfing the internet.
speak for yaself ;D ;D

as Dutty would say
"Rimshot" fadda ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 01:42:09 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
All yuh Trinis will neva grow up people must still baby all yuh d trute could introduce itself and all yuh eh go recognize it.

Eg how we eh sertious dey just decide to start d mas on carnival fri I 5 min from my office and I cyah  get down fred st because some men cyah wait till mon to jump and wave. Well d rest of us have to work
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »

Most of us not willing to put out the effort to go to next level and we does fight down anybody who reach there.

True statement. If you in a job home and you outperforming men first thing you hear is "What happen you a hero, you trying to make us look bad?".

Most men here need to realize those who view this website are a subset of Trinidad population. Many who happen to be foreigners or in very good jobs home who don't currently fall into Wim's generalization.

If you  go home and talk to average Joe or Jane now, Joe or Jane is not saving or planning for the future. Right now Joe and Jane studying where they feting for the next five days.  When you talk to a trini is one of three things the conversation usually ends up at, food, lime or woman, sports every now and then but that is part of the lime.

I have a decent income, better than most I know back home yet still most people at I know at home have a "best cellr phone" and asking me what I still doing with a Razr.. Men living in they mother house and buying music and rims for they ride and feting away they pay cheque. We like to eat and lime.  If I lie let me know.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:27:49 PM by rippin »
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »

I have a decent income, better than most I know back home yet still most people at I know at home have a "best cellr phone" and asking me what I still doing with a Razr.. Men living in they mother house and buying music and rims for they ride and feting away they pay cheque. We like to eat and lime.  If I lie let me know.

You need tuh broaden yuh circles then...because in addition to man who struggling tuh make it or cyah see beyond de next fete, I also have pardners who running they own $1m dollar companies, setting up security systems, IT infrastructuring, and building homes in de hills in de west fuh expat executives moving back home...and all ah dem is black fellas who grow up poor like me.  I mentioned the last part to show that this ent even the Syrians, 'local whites' and de rich Indian and dem who come from money.

But say what, allyuh happy with the characterization that Trinidadians are not hardworking, but are rather a simple people happy tuh siddung in de shade and sip dey rum and coconut water.

1]; } ?>