March 28, 2024, 05:29:54 AM

Author Topic: Kennya Cordner Thread  (Read 41572 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Kennya Cordner Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2021, 12:29:52 AM »
Women Warriors' striker Kennya Cordner : I can learn a lot from Kenwyne
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

VETERAN Trinidad and Tobago women’s team striker Kennya “Ya Ya” Cordner is eager to learn from former men’s team forward and captain Kenwyne Jones, during his stint as interim coach of the Women Warriors.

Jones, who took over from American Constantine Konstin on October 18 (his interim stint will last until November 30), guided the team to a pair of drawn results (0-0 last Thursday and 1-1 on Monday) against Panama, at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

Cordner was the T&T goalscorer on Monday and, after being involved in the women’s squad since 2006, the 32-year-old Cordner is still willing to enhance her knowledge of the game.

“Kenwyne is a forward and I (am) a forward, so I can learn a lot from Kenwyne,” said Cordner, during Monday’s post-game zoom media conference. “He scored goals and I score goals.”

About Jones’ time at the helm, Cordner said, “It’s fairly new for him so, in time to come, with his knowledge, I think things would be better.”

With regards to Monday’s match, Cordner said, “We went out there and we fought for 95 minutes. Even though we didn’t come out with the win, we still went out there and put (our) best foot forward and we fought for each other.”

Looking back at the pair of matches against Panama, the slimly-built attacker said, “I think we did the best that we can because, having not played for two years and it’s a bunch of new girls, and having to come into a camp for a week to play two international friendlies, we did really well (under) the circumstances.”

She is keen to pass on her experience to the younger crop of T&T players, having played in the United States, Sweden, Australia, Paraguay and, since 2018, in Norway (with IL Sandviken).

“I was happy to be back at home, because I haven’t been home for 22 months,” said Cordner.

“To be able to come back and give for Trinidad and Tobago women team, after experiencing so much in Norway, and seeing how different they do stuff, with my experience, to be able to transfer to this team, and allow these girls to see how hard work does pay off, it feels really good to be back here.”

Midfielder Chelcy Ralph, who plays for Ball State University in Indiana, United States, spoke about the difficulties in playing during the covid19 pandemic.

“It is very difficult having to be tested every other day but, as a team, we are very dedicated in what we have to do, and we’ll remain humble and respectful of the covid19 (protocols),” said Ralph.

“It’s a great experience for all of us to join together, because we haven’t been together for (some) years. Yes, we have a lot of work to do but it’s a great start.”

Panama’s coach Ignacio Quintana, commenting on Monday’s match, said, “It was an exciting game where any team (could have won). That’s the beauty of football, two teams making all the effort to win. The result was 1-1.

About the team’s week-long stay in Trinidad, Quintana said, “It’s okay for us and we enjoyed, a lot, our stay here. We enjoyed the opportunity, the experience and we’re grateful to the TT (Football Association).”

Yvamara Rodriguez, who was a second half substitute for Panama during Monday’s game, mentioned, “This game was a very aggressive and physical game. I felt that we kept connectivity with each other mentally. I think we’re quite happy with the result.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2021, 12:26:03 AM »
Kennya Cordner: New crop of Women Warriors capable.
T&T Newsday Reports.

TRINIDAD and Tobago women’s senior footballer Kennya Cordner believes the squad has potential and “something to build on” after earning two draws against Panama, last month.

T&T and Panama played to a goalless draw in the first encounter on October 21, at the Ato Boldon Stadium, in Couva, before Cordner’s strike helped T&T to a 1-1 draw in the second match on October 25 at the same venue.

Cordner is elated to return to national colours.

“It felt amazing because putting on the red, white and black I am not only representing myself but I am representing my people and it is always a privilege and an honour to go out there and represent my country,” Cordner told TT Football Association media.

The Norwegian-based professional was glad to get her name on the scoresheet immediately on her return to local football. The matches against Panama were T&T’s first matches since October 2019.

“It meant a lot for me after being away from this programme for so long and to come back and pick up where I left off. I was scoring goals when I was with the national team previously and now that I am back I am still doing the same thing.”

There are several inexperienced players on the team, but Cordner is one of the more seasoned campaigners on the team along with Maylee Attin-Johnson and the Forbes sisters – Kimika and Karyn.

Cordner believes there is quality in the team.

“It’s different, but I think we have something here that we can go further with. A lot of new faces…they are into the football more than anything so you get to understand from a practice standpoint and from an analysis standpoint. With the coaches and players and everything as I said it is fairly new, but this time around it is much better I would say than previously even though there are a lot of new faces but it is a stepping stone and I know we will build something together.”

In a message to her team-mates, Cordner said, “I would say keep working. We went there for the last two games and we showed that we are hard workers and we have to continue to do that.”

The T&T women’s team, under new coach Kenwyne Jones, are preparing for the Concacaf Women’s Championship qualification tournament which starts in February, 2022.

That tournament will be the start of T&T’s 2023 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign. The world cup will be held in Australia and New Zealand.

Watch Cordner: We've got to stay focused

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner's club IL Sandviken win Norwegian Women's Cup
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2021, 08:51:49 PM »
Cordner's club IL Sandviken win Norwegian Women's Cup
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

KENNYA “Yaya” Cordner’s pro club IL Sandviken were crowned champions of the Norwegian Women’s Cup after they drubbed Klepp 8-0 in the final on Sunday.

Cordner however, was an unused substitute in the title match. The win saw the illustrious club bring to an end a 21-year Cup drought. They last won the Women's Cup in 1995.

During the past four seasons, IL Sandviken reached the final twice but had to settle for the runners-up spot.

In celebrating her team’s victory, Cordner posted to Facebook.

“God, if it wasn’t for you, I don’t know if I would of been here today (so) thankful for your mercies and the victory and for being a part of IL Sandviken history-wining 2021 (Cup). Just a little girl from Tobago in Norway living the dream,” she posted.

The striker/winger recently returned to the national women’s team to play to two international friendlies against Panama in October. Both games were drawn 0-0 and 1-1 respectively.

Additionally, this was her, and a few other T&T players, first time representing the nation in over two years owing to the pandemic.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2021, 12:54:23 PM »
Kennya Cordner joins Fenerbahçe's Women's Football Team after spending four seasons with Norwegian club, IL Sandviken, where she played 74 games and scored 35 goals.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
Cordner leaves Norwegian champs for Turkish club

VETERAN TRINIDAD and Tobago women's football team midfielder/striker Kennya 'YaYa' Cordner has left IL Sandviken in Norway to join Fenerbahce in Turkey for the 2022 season.

Cordner, who turned 33 on November 11, ended her four-year stint at IL Sandviken on a winning note, as the club claimed the Norwegian Women's Cup on November 7.

The Fenerbahce's women team was only formed in August and Cordner, who has experiences at the club level in the United States, Sweden, Australia and Paraguay, is expected to be one of the club's headline names.

On her Facebook page on Friday, Cordner wrote, "Jah jah gave me this talent to show the world that ladies from the sweet beautiful twin island Trinidad and Tobago can do it anywhere in the world as I embark on this new journey Lord I pray you guide my every steps an that you keep me grounded in Jesus mighty name Amen."

Cordner scored in her last appearance for T&T - a 1-1 draw against Panama at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on October 25.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
Cordner leaves Norwegian champs for Turkish club

VETERAN TRINIDAD and Tobago women's football team midfielder/striker Kennya 'YaYa' Cordner has left IL Sandviken in Norway to join Fenerbahce in Turkey for the 2022 season.

Cordner, who turned 33 on November 11, ended her four-year stint at IL Sandviken on a winning note, as the club claimed the Norwegian Women's Cup on November 7.

The Fenerbahce's women team was only formed in August and Cordner, who has experiences at the club level in the United States, Sweden, Australia and Paraguay, is expected to be one of the club's headline names.

On her Facebook page on Friday, Cordner wrote, "Jah jah gave me this talent to show the world that ladies from the sweet beautiful twin island Trinidad and Tobago can do it anywhere in the world as I embark on this new journey Lord I pray you guide my every steps an that you keep me grounded in Jesus mighty name Amen."

Cordner scored in her last appearance for T&T - a 1-1 draw against Panama at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on October 25.

Good to get that out of the way now, although Erdogan is a Fenerbahce supporter so he might let such proclamations slide.

Congrats, Ms. Cordner. :applause: Run de route. Absolutely stellar accomplishment.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:34:18 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner opened her account in Turkish football when she scored on a counter-attack for the sixth goal in Fenerbahçe's 7-0 hammering of Galatasaray in the first women's football derby that was held to stop discrimination and violence against girls and women.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/T6HAT7ko-F8?start=164" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/T6HAT7ko-F8?start=164</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2021, 04:28:19 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner scores Fenerbahçe's lone goal in a 2-1 loss to Beşiktaş in their opening fixture of the 2021/22 Turkish Women's Football League.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MJAPV4HAfQ0?start=4423" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MJAPV4HAfQ0?start=4423</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2021, 11:58:38 PM »
Wow,  :thumbsup: :wavetowel:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2021, 06:09:06 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner scores a hat-trick in Fenerbahçe's 5-0 thumping of 1207 Antalyaspor

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/15QuYHTLDFA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/15QuYHTLDFA</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2022, 08:22:31 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner scores the game-winner in Fenerbahçe's 2-1 come-from-behind win against Ankara BŞB Fomget GSK.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0CQuZxyebLE?start=495" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0CQuZxyebLE?start=495</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2022, 06:43:06 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner rounds off the scoring in Fenerbahce's dominating 8-1 win over Hatayspor. Cordner was also the provider of two assists.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Vm7g_4m3VL4?start=597" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Vm7g_4m3VL4?start=597</a>

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2022, 05:05:13 PM »
Women Warriors' striker Kennya Cordner : I can learn a lot from Kenwyne

VETERAN Trinidad and Tobago women’s team striker Kennya “Ya Ya” Cordner is eager to learn from former men’s team forward and captain Kenwyne Jones, during his stint as interim coach of the Women Warriors.

Jones, who took over from American Constantine Konstin on October 18 (his interim stint will last until November 30), guided the team to a pair of drawn results (0-0 last Thursday and 1-1 on Monday) against Panama, at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

Cordner was the T&T goalscorer on Monday and, after being involved in the women’s squad since 2006, the 32-year-old Cordner is still willing to enhance her knowledge of the game.

“Kenwyne is a forward and I (am) a forward, so I can learn a lot from Kenwyne,” said Cordner, during Monday’s post-game zoom media conference. “He scored goals and I score goals.”

About Jones’ time at the helm, Cordner said, “It’s fairly new for him so, in time to come, with his knowledge, I think things would be better.”

With regards to Monday’s match, Cordner said, “We went out there and we fought for 95 minutes. Even though we didn’t come out with the win, we still went out there and put (our) best foot forward and we fought for each other.”

Looking back at the pair of matches against Panama, the slimly-built attacker said, “I think we did the best that we can because, having not played for two years and it’s a bunch of new girls, and having to come into a camp for a week to play two international friendlies, we did really well (under) the circumstances.”

She is keen to pass on her experience to the younger crop of T&T players, having played in the United States, Sweden, Australia, Paraguay and, since 2018, in Norway (with IL Sandviken).

“I was happy to be back at home, because I haven’t been home for 22 months,” said Cordner.

“To be able to come back and give for Trinidad and Tobago women team, after experiencing so much in Norway, and seeing how different they do stuff, with my experience, to be able to transfer to this team, and allow these girls to see how hard work does pay off, it feels really good to be back here.”

Midfielder Chelcy Ralph, who plays for Ball State University in Indiana, United States, spoke about the difficulties in playing during the covid19 pandemic.

“It is very difficult having to be tested every other day but, as a team, we are very dedicated in what we have to do, and we’ll remain humble and respectful of the covid19 (protocols),” said Ralph.

“It’s a great experience for all of us to join together, because we haven’t been together for (some) years. Yes, we have a lot of work to do but it’s a great start.”

Panama’s coach Ignacio Quintana, commenting on Monday’s match, said, “It was an exciting game where any team (could have won). That’s the beauty of football, two teams making all the effort to win. The result was 1-1.

About the team’s week-long stay in Trinidad, Quintana said, “It’s okay for us and we enjoyed, a lot, our stay here. We enjoyed the opportunity, the experience and we’re grateful to the TT (Football Association).”

Yvamara Rodriguez, who was a second half substitute for Panama during Monday’s game, mentioned, “This game was a very aggressive and physical game. I felt that we kept connectivity with each other mentally. I think we’re quite happy with the result.”

I thought she wanted to learn so much from the coach? but eheh eh she done learning and turning she back now?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2022, 08:50:15 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner scored a 15-minute hat-trick during Fenerbahçe 10-0 smashing of Kireçburnu. Cordner's goals were scored in the 63rd, 65th and 78th minutes. She also had two assists during the game.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2022, 04:22:05 AM »
Is this the same Kennya Cordner who plays for likely the most popular women's team in the world?

The same Kennya Cordner who should not be alienated from the TT national team?

Is this the same Kennya Cordner who should be exercised as a veteran contributing to the acclimatization, integration and development of forwards into the TT NT?

Is this the Kennya Cordner who is a long-time, long-term stakeholder in women's football dealing with only-here-for-a-while and only-been-here-for-a-while stakeholders in TT women's football?

Hmmmm. Mash brakes.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2022, 04:31:53 AM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner scored a 15-minute hat-trick during Fenerbahçe 10-0 smashing of Kireçburnu. Cordner's goals were scored in the 63rd, 65th and 78th minutes. She also had two assists during the game.

Call the club office. Kireçburnu need a solution for their missing CBs.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2022, 05:59:44 PM »
WATCH: Another week, another hat-trick for Kennya Cordner as Fenerbahçe thrash Kocaeli Bayan FK 8-0.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2022, 10:39:12 PM »
WATCH: Another week, another hat-trick for Kennya Cordner as Fenerbahçe thrash Kocaeli Bayan FK 8-0.

The team huddles are equally as entertaining as the goals.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2022, 04:16:00 PM »
WATCH: With her beaver-trick in Fenerbahçe's 6-1 trouncing of Karadeniz Ereğli Belediyespor, Kennya Cordner has now amassed an incredible 10 goals in her last three games.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2022, 10:36:54 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner's penalty proves to be the game-winner in Fenerbahçe's 2-1 win over league leaders Beşiktaş.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2VKcwmLNk70?start=187" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2VKcwmLNk70?start=187</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2022, 12:15:31 PM »
WATCH: With her fourth hat-trick of the season, Fenerbahçe's Kennya Cordner how has a staggering 21 goals in 13 games. When you include her 9 assists, she has had 30 goal involvements so far. Fenerbahçe 4-0 Ataşehir Belediye Spor.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2022, 03:53:44 PM »
Has she ever had so much success anywhere or possibly such an easier league ?  It's like 1 other strong team, and they both win by 3 goals or more and as much as 8 + in many of their matches. Glad Yaya is getting the recognition doh, yet the competition seems a little weak, no ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2022, 05:50:39 PM »
Has she ever had so much success anywhere or possibly such an easier league ?  It's like 1 other strong team, and they both win by 3 goals or more and as much as 8 + in many of their matches. Glad Yaya is getting the recognition doh, yet the competition seems a little weak, no ?

Competition is uneven, but credit to her because she is being much more than a passenger. She's doing what they acquired her to do at a club that always has lofty expectations. The bottom line here is that YaYa is an ambassador for T&T precisely at the unfortunate moment that the NT does not get the benefit of her participation. This contract - coming at this stage of her career - was not expected. And, despite the uneveness and the evidence that she could deliver in a more competitive environment.

I like what it offers her as a platform for extending her career.

If Turkey can grow this product, they will be in a good place for their homegrown talent to emerge.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:17:53 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2022, 05:56:10 PM »

Competition is uneven, but credit to her because she is being much more than a passenger. She's doing what they acquired her to do at a club that always has lofty expectations. The bottom line here is that YaYa is an ambassador for T&T precisely at the unfortunate moment that the NT does not get the benefit of her participation. This contract - coming at this stage of her career - was not expected. And, despite the uneveness and, the evidence that she could deliver in a more competitive environment.

Based on how the WNT struggled to beat Dominica convincingly, Yaya go get a call come May.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2022, 06:10:21 PM »
One could only hope and insist that is worked out, but I suspect there's a focus on names waiting on the outside looking in and waiting for a passport. YaYa with those supplemental personnel would help to solve one issue, but there are still other playing matters to tweak.

Ah certain KJ is neither naive nor blind. Succeed while balancing interests.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2022, 11:02:32 PM »

Competition is uneven, but credit to her because she is being much more than a passenger. She's doing what they acquired her to do at a club that always has lofty expectations. The bottom line here is that YaYa is an ambassador for T&T precisely at the unfortunate moment that the NT does not get the benefit of her participation. This contract - coming at this stage of her career - was not expected. And, despite the uneveness and, the evidence that she could deliver in a more competitive environment.

If Turkey can grow this product, they will be in a good place for their homegrown talent to emerge.
:thumbsup:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2022, 07:36:01 AM »
Discussion can be had about the quality of the league, but the quality and variety of the goals are a different kettle of fish. The opening goal of the recent hattrick was of especial quality and intelligence.

:applause:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2022, 10:07:21 AM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner scores in the sixth minute of injury time to clinch a 2-1 win for Fenerbahçe over Fatih Vatan Spor. This is her 25th goal of the season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VASnWACtzXc?start=470" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VASnWACtzXc?start=470</a>

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2022, 10:49:05 AM »
Discussion can be had about the quality of the league, but the quality and variety of the goals are a different kettle of fish. The opening goal of the recent hattrick was of especial quality and intelligence.

:applause:

I agree.

Will leaving her off the WNT come back to haunt us? I think that WNT will need her services.

1]; } ?>