March 28, 2024, 02:25:28 PM

Author Topic: Kennya Cordner Thread  (Read 41578 times)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cordner heads for Australian trial.
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 10:26:45 AM »
TT shudda have bout 20 footballers playing in England and Scotland and making millions,after Dwight made it and to a lesser extent Latapy there should have been a steady flow of our players to England.Our boys are as good as anybody but something is wrong with our system,what a shame those yutes missing out on millions,I hope things can change.
No we eh good...is ah chicken or egg scenario..is the system producing crap ballers or are crap ballers entering an already crappy system

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »
Neither did Dwight ... I like her mentality I think she will do well .. goodluck and big up :beermug: :beermug:

Dwight had the opportunity to make millions, women don't.

ENTTTTTT

Yuh sure bout that?! Ah sure Dwight spend ah couple of his millions on them women!!  :devil:

I sure she has d opportunity 2 make milllions herself but not likely on a football pitch kickin d ball

Marta makes aprox US $55,000 per month in wages and sponsorship deals. It is possible, but u have to be good, just like any man on a pitch, but its tougher. WPS in USA right now is the league with the paper, for now. Womens football relatively young, but its growing fast. For the average woman player, don't expect the millions yet.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 10:46:51 AM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »
MEP,over the years we have produced ballers to take us to within 'a hairsbreadth' of 1974 WC but we got cheated out of that,we should have qualified for 90 Italy but Gally wasn't good enough to take us there,we qualified for 2006 with a virtual pure TT team apart from Birchall and if it wan't for all the problems internally we might have qualified for SA2010.We have been Caribbean Champs more than anyone so how you can say we produce crap,I think there are other problems and I hope we can identify them and fix it.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
MEP,over the years we have produced ballers to take us to within 'a hairsbreadth' of 1974 WC but we got cheated out of that,we should have qualified for 90 Italy but Gally wasn't good enough to take us there,we qualified for 2006 with a virtual pure TT team apart from Birchall and if it wan't for all the problems internally we might have qualified for SA2010.We have been Caribbean Champs more than anyone so how you can say we produce crap,I think there are other problems and I hope we can identify them and fix it.

The system or lack thereof is the problem. We wait to see who is "de baller" in SSFL and then they move on to the PFL hopefully and then just draft them onto a NT. Where in all this is the TTFF? Does the TTFF give out mandate or guidelines to clubs as per player development?

-Does the TTFF provide avenues for players to gain access to higher level coaching at a younger age outside of making a NT?
-Do players have an idea of the process in being identified towards making a NT?
-Are players identified at a young age by the TTFF and their development monitored?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 04:29:55 PM »
It's sad she never graduated from college. Hope she makes the best of this.

She can always go to college on her own or get some grant to do so. Was she in college and never finished?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »

She can always go to college on her own or get some grant to do so. Was she in college and never finished?

She went to Young Harris College for at least two years.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »

There is nothing wrong with the fact that Miss Cordner is putting her schooling on hold. The female professional is a different ball of wax compared to the mens. I see nothing wrong with playing professionally now and then going back and finishing off school. If its is feasible as far as her schedule goes online courses are an option. maybe she does not know what she wants to do in school (life) and is seizing the opportunity (again nothing wrong that) .. heck I am 47 and still have no idea what i want to do....lmfao... Anyways Miss Cordner (aka  Ya Ya), do yourself and all of your mates proud as we all are routing for your success.

Cheers  19

Offline trinipepper

• New Warrior
  • addin fire to the flame ...izatrini
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
Success is the key... change in discipline is also good... try it you can reach a long way....I am proud of you, hope you make the team.. youre a good player, with the right guidance you can make it a long way...the usa and the english league has scouts and that is where the money is at for the women's game but its not an easy access... As you can see not many islanders are in that mix...Represent in the Australian League good to go...

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »

There is nothing wrong with the fact that Miss Cordner is putting her schooling on hold. The female professional is a different ball of wax compared to the mens. I see nothing wrong with playing professionally now and then going back and finishing off school. If its is feasible as far as her schedule goes online courses are an option. maybe she does not know what she wants to do in school (life) and is seizing the opportunity (again nothing wrong that) .. heck I am 47 and still have no idea what i want to do....lmfao... Anyways Miss Cordner (aka  Ya Ya), do yourself and all of your mates proud as we all are routing for your success.

Cheers  19
The truth is that this is the best option for her because she was academically inepth ...under prepared for college and although she spent 2 years there she could not go on to a 4 year school because of her grades and lack of credits to transfer...(there were a lot of colleges interested in her after she finished her eligibility at YHC). This is a serious issue and the people who handling these players need to have a better plan in place to make sure that these players are prepared to handle the academic demands of college.
(19...this is not a put down on the player nor an attempt to discredit her , but I won't be eloquent about such a serious matter)
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »

Cheers  19
The truth is that this is the best option for her because she was academically inepth ...under prepared for college and although she spent 2 years there she could not go on to a 4 year school because of her grades and lack of credits to transfer...(there were a lot of colleges interested in her after she finished her eligibility at YHC). This is a serious issue and the people who handling these players need to have a better plan in place to make sure that these players are prepared to handle the academic demands of college.
(19...this is not a put down on the player nor an attempt to discredit her , but I won't be eloquent about such a serious matter)

I did not want to come out and say anything, but if she had focus a little more on academics she could have gone on. Is real colleges wanted her out of JUCO. Say what, at least she just ain't give up.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner on trial with with Brisbane Roar Women
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2010, 05:28:21 AM »
Cordner on trial with with Brisbane Roar Women
footballqueensland.com.au

The Brisbane Roar Women will host Trinidad & Tobago international, Kennya Cordner this week as the talented striker trials for a spot with a number of Westfield W-League clubs.

The 22-year-old already boasts an impressive resume having played for Trinidad & Tobago’s national team, nicknamed the ‘Soca Princesses’, since 2004 and scoring 32 goals for her country.

Kennya, nicknamed ‘Ya Ya’ was invited to Australia to trial with four of the Westfield W-League teams in the hopes of gaining a contract with one of the clubs, with Brisbane Roar the first of these trials.

If successful, this international stint won’t be the first for Cordner who attended Young Harris College in the States before playing in Sweden with Kvårnsveden IK in the country’s top women’s football league.

Arriving in Brisbane today ahead of her two-week trial with the Roar, Cordner was confident about her prospects of gaining a position in the Westfield W-League.

“I have high hopes. I’m going into it with a mentality to make the team and not one to just go for a trial.

“I am going out there to give it my all, and hopefully do enough to get picked up by a team,” she said.

“This type of opportunity does not come around often, so I will try my best to make the most of it”.

“This is a much bigger deal than my stint in Sweden and this time around, I am much better tactically and physically”.

Cordner will be watching closely this weekend when the Roar women take on Perth Glory with fellow striker and Roar stalwart Lana Harch in fine scoring form this season and the debut of Lisa De Vanna in orange last weekend, also vying for a starting spot up front.

See the Roar women in action against Perth Glory on Saturday, 27th November, kick-off 4pm at Perry Park, gates open one hour prior to kick-off.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
Brisbane Roars signs Cordner.
By: Shari John (Guardian).

T&T senior team forward, Kennya Cordner has signed a professional contract with top Australian women’s football club, Brisbane Roars.

Cordner spent the last two weeks on trial at the club and signed the contract on Saturday. The speedy striker debuted for the club on Monday in the Hyundai W-League, coming on in the 77th minute and managed to impress the fans according to match reports.

Cordner said it was exciting being able to play in a new environment and she hopes to become a better player at the end of her experience in Australia. “It feels great to be given an opportunity to play away from home because opportunities like this don’t come very often,” she said.

“The quality of football here (in Australia) is much higher than that of my previous encounters, apart from national duty, and I am sure it will improve my game.

This means a whole lot for my career because not only do I have the opportunity to become a better player, but set a standard be a role model for the younger players coming up. The 22-year-old will be in Australia until the end of the Australian women’s season in February.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
good!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 07:30:55 AM »
Congrats to the young lady!!! :applause: :applause:
:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 07:35:24 AM »
Congrats to the young lady!!! :applause: :applause:
:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

CO-SIGNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 10:43:19 AM »

Kennya Cordner of the Roar is tackled by Leah Blayney of Canberra during the round six W-League match between the Brisbane Roar and Canberra United at Perry Park on December 21, 2010 in Brisbane, Australia.

http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/default.aspx?s=wleague_newsdisplay&id=37684
Kennya Cordner was handed her debut for Brisbane having just signed for the club on 76 minutes and immediately had an impact opening up the right side of the Canberra defence before delivering a quality cross into the box which Butt laid off to Harch, but the latter put her shot wide.

Cordner definitely looked up for her debut and was again terrorising the Canberra defence a short time later and again delivering a quality ball, but after a scramble in the box Williams was finally able to gather the ball.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:45:07 AM by Tallman »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
nice...good for her :applause:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »
YA YA

play de fitball bago
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »
http://www.thefootballsack.com/2010/12/w-league-brisbane-roar-1-0-canberra.html

In the 70th minute a young Trinidad & Tobago International Kennya Cordner came on for her W-League debut for Brisbane and for the rest of the game she proceded tp tear up the best defense in the W-league, Canberra (although Canberra were without regular Lyndsay Glohe). Full of pace with good touch, aggressive and a left foot she is one to watch in future games.

Brisbane can also look ahead with enthusiasm thank to their new recruit Kennya Cordner who will be hard to contain and now really adds to a great forward line for Brisbane.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2010, 01:38:20 PM »
http://www.thefootballsack.com/2010/12/w-league-brisbane-roar-1-0-canberra.html

In the 70th minute a young Trinidad & Tobago International Kennya Cordner came on for her W-League debut for Brisbane and for the rest of the game she proceded tp tear up the best defense in the W-league, Canberra (although Canberra were without regular Lyndsay Glohe). Full of pace with good touch, aggressive and a left foot she is one to watch in future games.

Brisbane can also look ahead with enthusiasm thank to their new recruit Kennya Cordner who will be hard to contain and now really adds to a great forward line for Brisbane.

NICENESS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
happy for her

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2010, 05:43:27 PM »
Go Brave Young Princess!!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 16: Kennya Cordner of the Roar (R) flies ahead of her Victory opponent Ella Mastrantonio during the round ten W-League match between the Brisbane Roar and the Melbourne Victory at Perry Park on January 16, 2011 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Enzo Tomasiello/Getty Images)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 02:33:52 AM »
^^^^  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner is top TTFF woman
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 06:23:30 AM »
Cordner is top TTFF woman
T&T Guardian

National Senior team player Kennya Cordner has been named the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation Women's "Player of the Year" for 2010.

Now based in Australia where she has signed a three-month contract with professional W-League club Brisbane Roar, The Tobago-born Cordner described it as "great feeling" to cop the honour which will see her as the nominee for the First Citizen's "Sportswoman of the year."

The 22-year-old Cordner was the leading attacking player for T&T in 2010 during the Central American and Caribbean Games where T&T captured the silver medal, finishing second to Venezuela. She also led the scoring in the Caribbean Football Union World Cup qualifiers and scored T&T's opening goal in a 4-1 win over Guyana in the Concacaf Finals in Mexico.

"It feels great to b named the Trinidad and Tobago female football player of the year once more. The year 2010 was the best year ever for my football career. We won the silver medal at the CAC games and now I'm playing in Australia which is a step to bettering my career," Cordner told TTFF Media on Monday.

Cordner says her ambition is to play in the US Women's League.

"My aim is to keep on improving and become a better player because I hope to someday end up in the United States Women's League which I consider to be the best in the world," she added.

Cordner described her stint in Australia National Women's League as an eye opener.

"It's different here but it's going good so far. I'm enjoying the new experience. It's far from home but it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to make," she concluded.

Cordner is TTFF's top female player for 2010.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National Senior team player Kennya Cordner has been named the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation Women’s “Player of the Year” for 2010.

Now based in Australia where she has signed a three-month contract with professional W-League club Brisbane Roar, The Tobago-born Cordner described it as “great feeling” to cop the honour which will see her as the nominee for the First Citizen’s “Sportswoman of the year.”

Cordner was the leading attacking player for T&T in 2010 during the Central American and Caribbean Games where T&T captured the silver medal, finishing second to Venezuela. She also led the scoring in the Caribbean Football Union World Cup qualifiers and scored T&T’s opening goal in a 4-1 win over Guyana in the Concacaf Finals in Mexico.

“It feels great to b named the Trinidad and Tobago female football player of the year once more. The year 2010 was the best year ever for my football career. We won the silver medal at the CAC games and now I’m playing in Australia which is a step to bettering my career,” Cordner told TTFF Media on Monday.

Cordner says her ambition is to play in the US Women’s League.

“My aim is to keep on improving and become a better player because I hope to someday end up in the United States Women’s League which I consider to be the best in the world,” she added.
Crediting her cousin Joel as the person who pushed her on to become a full time footballer, she also had some advice for other women aspiring to play the game professionally.

“My cousin Joel inspired me because as a young girl growing up all I remember was being excited every time there was an opportunity to go to the football field and kick a ball whenever he was going.

“To all the young ladies out there wanting to pursue a career in football I would encourage them to follow their dreams because that’s what I did. Continue working hard and don’t let anyone ever tell you that you’re not good enough. Always believe in yourself because the sky is the limit,” Cordner said.

Cordner described her stint in Australia National Women’s League as an eye opener.

“It’s different here but it’s going good so far. I’m enjoying the new experience. It’s far from home but it’s a sacrifice that I’m willing to make,” she concluded.

Cordner grew up in Speyside, Tobago and attended Signal Hill Secondary Comprehensive before moving on to Young Harris College in the United States. She played for Tobago  Women FC as well as United States club Northampton Laurels.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:45:04 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner setting the pace
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »
Cordner setting the pace
By Ashleigh McIntosh (brisbaneroar.com.au)

Newest Brisbane Roar Women addition Kennya Cordner had earned the respect of her teammates in the time it took her to make a run down the wing towards goal.

Her blistering speed off the bench is a welcome addition to the current team dynamic and will greatly assist the Roar in their Westfield W-League finals campaign.

While a language barrier is never easy to overcome, Cordner speaks ‘football’ fluently.

The attacking forward’s time on the sidelines with a torn ligament during the team’s last regular season fixture against Newcastle Jets has made even her more eager to be out on the park during the finals.

“My injury is not that bad, I just tore a ligament so now I am fine,” Cordner said.

“I am looking forward to the finals, hopefully I will get to play.”

The international recruit, fondly referred to as “Ya-Ya” by her teammates, has made a name for herself in Swedish leagues and the USA, as well as representing her home country, Trinidad and Tobago.

Cordner’s impression of Australia has been marred by the recent Queensland floods but she is enjoying the new challenge of playing for Brisbane.

“I like Australia… except for all the rain and floods, it is really good,” she said.

“I have played football in the US and Sweden but I really like playing with the Roar.

“It is hard work but it is good.”

Brisbane Roar captain Clare Polkinghorne believes she is an electric player who does not hesitate to get stuck in at training without distraction.

“She is very pacey and can do a lot on the ball …she’s an exciting prospect for us,” Polkinghorne said.

“Not many people know who she is or how she plays.

“At every training session she does something that we don’t expect and she just surprises us every day.

“That is something that will work in our favour.”

Boarding with a range of the Roar girls has allowed Cordner to become better acquainted with her teammates and help her settle in.

“She’s fitting in really well, she seems to get stuck in at training and nothing really sort of bothers her,” Polkinghorne said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cordner setting the pace
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2011, 11:41:16 AM »

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 05: Kennya Cordner of the Roar celebrates after scoring a goal in the second half during the W-League semi final match between the Brisbane Roar and Canberra United at Ballymore Stadium on February 5, 2011 in Brisbane, Australia.

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 05: Kennya Cordner and Lisa De Vann of the Roar celebrate after Kennya Cordner scored a goal in the second half during the W-League semi final match between the Brisbane Roar and Canberra United at Ballymore Stadium on February 5, 2011 in Brisbane, Australia.

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 05: Kennya Cordner of the Roar heads the ball during the W-League semi final match between the Brisbane Roar and Canberra United at Ballymore Stadium on February 5, 2011 in Brisbane, Australia.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
Cordner setting the pace
By Ashleigh McIntosh (brisbaneroar.com.au)

...While a language barrier is never easy to overcome, Cordner speaks ‘football’ fluently.

They doh speaka de Engrish in Brisbane?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »
I was about to asknthe same thing as I was thinking maybe Brisbane was in Denmark or sweden

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »
Ya Ya ...play de fitball bago
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>