March 28, 2024, 04:21:57 PM

Author Topic: Kennya Cordner Thread  (Read 41581 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner nominated for Norway’s top female footballer award
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »
Cordner nominated for Norway’s top female footballer award
T&T Newsday

TOBAGO-born national striker, Kennya “YaYa” Cordner, is among three female nominees vying for Norway’s Female Footballer of the Year award.

Cordner plies her professional trade for Norwegian club, IL Sandviken and according to the club’s website, the TT striker has been the squad’s guiding star this season. She is described as a technically brilliant player, who recently captured the top scorer title during her second season (2019) at IL Sandviken, with a scorching 17 goals in 21 matches.

Following her nomination for the prestigious award, IL Sandviken acknowledged Cordner’s athletic prowess over the past competitive season. The two-time TT Female Footballer of the Year (2005, 2010) was described as, “A useful player with technical brilliance, who can punish any opponent. In the last series round, she decided the match for the top scorer title and throne at the top with 17 scores in the Toppserien (Norwegian top-flight).”

Also nominated for this accolade are Sherida Spitse (Valerenga captain) and Roas top-scorer Synne Jensen.

This is only the 31-year old’s second season at IL Sandviken following previous international stints at Northampton Laurels FC (USA), Kvarnsvedens IK (Sweden), Brisbane Roar (Australia), Seattle Reigns FC Reserves (USA) and Seattle Reign FC to name a few.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kennya Cordner Thread
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »
Well done Yaya, good luck
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner presented with the 2019 Norwegian Toppserien Golden Boot Award. Playing for IL Sandviken, Yaya scored 17 goals in 22 matches.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mFN4LR7wFU4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mFN4LR7wFU4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »
Congrats! Solid! :applause:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
Boom!  Well done Yaya!  Stay strong sistren  :applause: :applause: :applause:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »
Congrats Yaya! Way to represent, best football news in 2019.

Offline bingie man

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »
congrats sis ! more blessings  :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2019, 10:42:52 AM »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

SOLID! YaYa. Plenty Blessings. Footballer of the Year!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Yaya’ keen to light up Norway again
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
‘Yaya’ keen to light up Norway again
By Kinnesha George (T&T Newsday)

A menace on the football field, known for her speed, agility and scoring ability, Kennya Cordner, more commonly known as “Yaya,” has described her 2019 season as tough, however, she says 2020 is loading for the unleash of the #Yayamonsta2.0.

Cordner was recently presented with the golden boot as the top scorer in Norway for her new club, IL Sandviken, in just her second season there. Cordner’s exploits in the Toppserien – Norway’s top flight – did not go unnoticed and she was nominated for Player of the Year. Although not winning the big award on December 2, Cordner’s season was no fluke and the result of hard work and perseverance.

“I’ve been working a lot this year on my finishing and to accomplish such a goal. It’s really an overwhelming feeling because I did put my mind to something this year, hence the reason why I went out on Tuesdays when we had individual practice, to work on my finishing and it did pay off. So, to see that it paid off and I accomplished 17 goals in 22 matches... it’s an overwhelming feeling,” she told Newsday in an interview at the Gulf City Mall in Lowlands on Wednesday.

The experienced 31-year-old dedicated the award to her aunt Penny, who died in 2018 but was extremely close to her.

“I did it for her, she was my number one supporter... she’s been there for me my entire life. I lived with her for most of my life, pretty much, and she’s been there from day one, supporting me, going and coming, and to lose her...

“The day I got the news that she died, I just dropped everything and screamed out in the entire stadium full of people and from that day, it’s just like I lost a big part of my life, knowing that I can’t just pick up the phone and say, ‘Aunty look, look what your niece did.’

“It still hurts but she wouldn’t want me to be sad.”

Cordner described her 2019 season as one of mixed emotions and revealed she wanted to quit during the season but convinced herself to stick it out. “It’s been both up and down for me because in the middle of the season I wanted to leave the club, basically because I didn’t like how things were going. I said to myself, you know what, you’re already there for the long haul so just stay and stick it out, continue to pray because you know your faith is always first, so anything you ask God for He will fulfil it, and just continue to do your best.”

Cordner said after chatting with her mother she was able to refocus and put in her best performances.

“I spoke to my mum (Cheryl Johnson) and she was like... ‘Stay and stick it out.’ From the first half of the season and when the second half started, I just blocked out everything and just focused on what I have to do on the field and it turned over for me pretty much and it went well from July straight into November.”

Cordner, who has played in Sweden, Australia, Paraguay and the US, is currently home spending time with her family and friends. She is expected to leave on December 29 to head back to Norway.

The uncertainty and unhappiness from last season is now a thing of the past and Cordner is itching to get back on the field in Norway.

“I’m leaving to go back to play with my team in Norway, IL Sandviken to go and do big things again,” she said.

Questioned if she would ever reconsider playing for TT again, Cordner, a two-time TT footballer of the year, said, “At the end of the day, I won’t mind playing for my country but if they don’t have things in place, I would never set foot back on field to play for them.

“I’ve been doing this for how many years, and they didn’t really take care of me...Me coming from Tobago and practising, training hard and going out on the field and doing everything and they didn’t put anything in place for us, the Tobagonians, it was unfair. Hence the reason why I had to walk away in 2017 and no one knew the reason why, it was because the TTFA then made it seem like I was disrespectful to the coach (Carolina Morace), when it was never about that.”

She added, “If things are put in place and things are right, definitely I would represent the red, white and black again.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2020, 07:47:05 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner talks about what to expect from her in 2020. The interview was done after IL Sandviken's 1-0 win over Rosenborg BK in a preseason match. Cordner tallied the lone goal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6Vr2G2tAEGc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6Vr2G2tAEGc</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2020, 04:19:52 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner notches her second pre-season goal during IL Sandviken's 3-0 win over Vålerenga

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0i-1WHpp400?start=11" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0i-1WHpp400?start=11</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2020, 07:41:08 AM »
WATCH: All of Kennya Cordner's 17 goals from the 2019 Norwegian Toppserien season when she won the Golden Boot Award

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NlLR7DgbpkI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NlLR7DgbpkI</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner starts off the 2020 Toppserien season the same way she ended the 2019 season, with a goal. Yaya scored IL Sandviken's second goal, in their 3-2 win over Vålerenga.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0ytHlyKPgVg?start=70" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0ytHlyKPgVg?start=70</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner: At Sandviken, I've found myself in the right place
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »
Cordner: At Sandviken, I've found myself in the right place
By Kristian Moe (nfkvinner.no)

After a somewhat troubled career with many club changes, it finally looks like Kennya Cordner has found the right one. In 2018 she moved to Norway to play for Sandviken, and during her two seasons in Norway, she has battled with the defenders in the Toppserien. We had a chat with last year's top scorer.

Kennya Cordner has visited countless clubs, and played in countries such as Sweden, Australia, the United States and Paraguay. Before the 2018 season, she chose to go to Norway to play for Sandviken. During her two years in Norwegian football, she has proved to be a real goalscorer with 25 goals in 45 games, with last year's season as an absolute highlight. Her 17 goals were enough to secure the top scorer title and helped Sandviken to a very solid 4th place in the Toppserien.

This season, she hopes for more success for herself and Sandviken, but to achieve this, she must work hard. Cordner loves to score goals, which she did a lot of last season. At the same time, she believes that one must believe in oneself and keep trying all the time. She draws inspiration from the player many believe is the best football player of all time, the Argentine talisman, Lionel Messi.

Self-training, hard work and Lionel Messi
- Let's start by talking about yourself. Who is Kennya Cordner and how would you describe yourself as a player?

- I would describe myself as a humble player. I love to score goals and I work hard to master what I'm doing on the field. I have faith in everything I do, and even if I make mistakes, I keep trying, because no one is perfect.

- What is behind your success? How did you train in your childhood to become so good?

- When I didn't have anyone to train with, I had to do it for myself and on my own. I feel that one does their best work when no one is watching, so self-training is the main reason for my success today.

Do you have any examples? How have they influenced and inspired you as a human and football player?

- Lionel Messi is one of my role models because I love the way he plays football. He is a very humble person and he prioritizes the team over himself and that is the kind of player I am. He is also a family person like me, and it is the way he handles things so easily, that remind me of myself.

Racism: - People look at you differently
Racism has been a topical issue in the world lately after the murder of George Floyd. The Black Lives Matter campaign has been strong globally, and stadiums around the world have been flagged by players, coaches and supporters.

- What are your thoughts on racism in football and the world in general?

- At some point this became a relevant topic. It's hard to be a colored person because people look at you differently and you never get complete respect.

- Have you experienced any cases of racism in Norway that you want to tell about?

-No! Fortunately, I have never experienced racism in Norway.

About Sandviken
Cordner is now entering her third season as a Sandviken player following her move from Paraguayan football before the 2018 season. In her first season in Norwegian football she scored an acceptable 8 goals in 21 games, while last season she really emerged as a goal scorer of rank with 17 goals in 24 games, which was enough to secure the top scorer title from Røa player Synne Jensen. One can therefore safely say that Cordner's stay in Norway has been successful so far, something she herself hopes will continue in the 2020 season.

- How would you like to summarize your first two years in Norway and Sandviken?

- After being injured for two months and missing five games in the first season, I knew I had to make up for it in 2019, which I did. I continued to work hard every day to achieve my goals. It was a dedication to my late aunt.

- What about this season; what is your and Sandviken's goal?

- For me, it's about continuing and working hard and scoring goals for my team. For Sandviken we must continue to be a unit and work hard together and end up among the medal places this season.

- You have played in many different clubs during your career. Do you feel that you have found your way in Sandviken and Norway?

Yes, I have played in many different countries, but I have to say that Norway has been the longest period of my football career. That's also why I'm still here playing for Sandviken. When you find your place and you are in an environment you love to play in, you will adapt to that community fairly quickly. I did, so I found myself in the right place.

-  How are the facilities at Sandviken versus previous clubs you have been to?

- Most of the clubs I have played for have had good facilities, but the main differences with Sandviken are that it is always clean, and always ready for training and matches.

Norwegian football : - Big difference
- How was the transition to Norwegian football?

- The transition was quite different from what I've been used to, but being the person that I am, it didn't take long before I was able to adapt to it.

-  What are your thoughts on the playing style in Norway? Are there any major differences from, say, the United States?

- Compared to the US and the other countries I've played in, there is a big difference. In Norway you have the physicality and sometimes very direct play, while in other places you have the toughness and the technical play, but during the two years I have been here I have seen changes.

The development of women's football: - We must involve the less fortunate with big dreams
In recent years, women's football has grown in popularity both in Norway and the worldwide. Last year's World Cup had high viewing numbers, over 10,000 made the trip to Brann Stadion to see Norway against England in September, and clubs such as Rosenborg (formerly Trondheims-Ørn) and Manchester United have created women's teams. In addition, the focus on women's football is increasing in several countries, but in Cordner's home country, Trinidad and Tobago it is not. She still hopes that development continues, but also points out that more can be done to develop women's soccer.

- How is the focus on women's soccer in your home country?

-It has always been a struggle in my country when it comes to women's football. We never got the things we needed to be good enough to play at the top levels.

- What do you think about the development of women's football in Norway and internationally?

- I think a lot more can be done to develop women's football. Not just in Norway, but worldwide. We must manage to involve the less fortunate with big dreams before it is too late for them.

The future
Cordner turns 32 in 2020. She has now reached a stage of her career where she could possibly have one last chance in a major European league. She herself is uncertain what the future will bring.

- Do you want to end your career in Norway or another place?

-I don't know what the future holds for me, so it's hard to answer now.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2020, 08:57:54 AM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner pounces on an errant back-pass, rounds the keeper, and scores from an acute angle to rescue a point for IL Sandviken in their 1-1 draw with Lyn

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lyb1t7O1yoU?start=95" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lyb1t7O1yoU?start=95</a>
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:32:28 AM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2020, 09:32:42 AM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner blasts a left footer into the roof of the net to round off the scoring in IL Sandviken's 3-1 win over Avaldsnes IL

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KzBFSz0QglE?start=168" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KzBFSz0QglE?start=168</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2020, 11:44:16 AM »
WATCH: A brace from Kennya Cordner leads IL Sandviken to a 3-1 win over Kolbotn IL.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/f0bEZcs0kGY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/f0bEZcs0kGY</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner breaks her five-match goal drought by opening the scoring in Sandviken IF's 2-0 win over Arna-Bjørnar. Cordner also earned the penalty which brought Sandviken their second goal.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KDo-LuGXIlU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KDo-LuGXIlU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
Kennya Cordner named to Toppserien's Team of the Week (Round 13) for her goal and assist performance in IL Sandviken's 2-0 win over Arna-Bjørnar.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner fakes to the right, cuts back to the left and curls the ball into the far corner to score the third goal in Sandviken IL's 5-0 rout of Hønefoss BK. It's almost an exact replica of Russell Latapy's goal against Guatemala during the 2006 World Cup Qualifiers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUSr8SlGjQQ?start=163" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZUSr8SlGjQQ?start=163</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BoavarHQepM?start=173" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BoavarHQepM?start=173</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »
Cordner on target as Sandviken rolls in Norwegian NM Cup
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

T&T senior women's football team standout striker Kennya “Ya Ya” Cordner was among the goals as her Sandviken FC ran out comfortable 5-0 winners over Honefoss BK in their first round of the Norwegian NM Women's Cup at AKA Arena, Honefoss, Norway on Tuesday.

Sandviken took a 25th-minute lead through Vilde Hasund and they had to wait until the 72nd minute before Lisa Naalsund doubled the advantage before 31-year-old Cordner quickly made it 3-0 a minute later.

Having netted her fifth goal of the season and second in as many matches after going five matches without finding the net, Cordner was then replaced in the 81st minute by Sanne Lekven with the win already secured before the latter added strikes in the 86th and 90th minutes to complete the lopsided win and passage to the next phase of the competition.

Currently, fourth on the ten-team Norway Toppserien League with 22 points from 14 matches, nine adrift of leaders Valerenga, Cordner and her clubmates will return to league play against cellar-placed Roa on October 17, before meeting eighth-placed Kolbotn, two weeks later.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2020, 06:45:49 AM »
WATCH: When it comes to Striker Kennya Cordner you either like her or you don't. She's never been one to mince her words and has had a chequered history because of her outspoken nature. However, her talent with a football has never been in doubt and it's arguably how she earned the name Yaya Monster. But how exactly did that nickname came about?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner extends pro contract with Sandviken IL
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2020, 07:41:47 PM »
Cordner extends pro contract with Sandviken IL
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

NATIONAL women's footballer Kennya ‘Ya Ya’ Cordner has extended her contract with Norwegian Toppserien club Sandviken IL for the 2021 season

Cordner has been flying the red, white and black with Sandviken IL for the past three seasons and announced, on Monday, she would represent the dominant Norwegian club for an additional year.

The 32-year-old midfielder has played with an array of women’s pro teams throughout her decorated career such as Northampton Laurels (USA), Kvarnsvedens IK (Sweden), Brisbane Roar (Australia), San Juan Jabloteh FC (T&T) and Seattle Reign FC (USA).

Since she joined Sandvikens IF three years ago, the club improved from their previous three ninth-place finishes by placing fourth 2018 and 2019. The experienced T&T player was the 2019 season's leading scorer with 17 goals.

They are presently ranked fifth in the 2020 league which is still in progress.

She is the leading goalscorer for the national women’s team (38 goals) and was named T&T Female Footballer of the Year in 2005 and 2010.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2020, 02:49:21 AM »
Quality. I really hope she comes back and coaches the youth - both boys and girls. They could do with the wealth of her experience

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cordner awarded Golden Boot again by Sandviken IL
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »
Cordner awarded Golden Boot again by Sandviken IL
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

NATIONAL women’s footballer Kennya "Ya Ya" Cordner has claimed the 2020 Golden Boot Award by her Norwegian Toppserien (top flight) club IL Sandviken.

In a post to her Facebook page, on Monday, Cordner wrote, “God you alone listen and answer my prayers always, so all the glory belongs to you. That feeling, no matter how much time I fail, I will try and try again because giving up is never (an) option for the ‘Monsta’. Another year and the ‘Monsta’ is the same, thankful always.”

The 32-year-old midfielder played the first 13 games of IL Sandviken’s 2020 season, during which she scored six goals and had two assists. But her season was cut short by injury, which forced her to miss the club’s final five matches.

Cordner was the season’s topscorer last year with 17 goals.

When contacted, Cordner said, “To get this award in back-to-back years is (an) overjoy but amazing feeling, because I continue to work hard and doing what I do best, scoring goals and, for another year, I was the team’s topscorer.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2020, 08:19:06 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2021, 11:59:41 AM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner breaks her goal drought when she scores a diving header to seal IL Sandviken's 2-0 win over Rosenborg BK Kvinner.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vYlQH_avkLE?start=122" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vYlQH_avkLE?start=122</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner scores in the 90th minute during IL Sandviken's 3-0 win over AaFK Fortuna in the 3rd round of the Norwegian Women's Cup.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/80h4pgmAM30?start=64" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/80h4pgmAM30?start=64</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2021, 03:07:51 PM »
WATCH: Kennya Cordner rounds off the scoring in IL Sandviken's 3-0 win over Stabæk.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dEtbt0W5YkA?start=86" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dEtbt0W5YkA?start=86</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kennya Cordner: Shut out the noise and let's play football
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »
Kennya Cordner: Shut out the noise and let's play football
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

NATIONAL women’s senior team striker Kennya “Yaya” Cordner has called on teammates to shut out the noise and place full focus on Thursday’s international friendly match against Panama.

The Women Warriors play their first official match in over two years at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva from 3.30pm.

Cordner, who plies her trade in the Norwegian top-flight with IL Sandviken, encouraged her new and long-standing teammates to rally around each other amidst the team’s on-going challenges.

Over the past two weeks, the coach of the senior women’s team changed . After five months in charge, Welshman James Thomas resigned on October 6 for a job in the English women’s league.

Last Wednesday, American and former men’s futsal coach Constantine Konstin was appointed interim head coach but then stepped down owing to personal reasons on Sunday.

Ex-national men’s captain Kenwyne Jones was then appointed interim head coach on Monday and will serve in this capacity until November 30.

In an interview with TT Football Association media on Wednesday, Cordner urged her teammates to remain focused.

“The challenges will always be there but we as players must know that this has been a long going thing.

“If we want to go forward we need to put these things behind and think football, togetherness and team because if we dwell on things that we cannot control, then it will control us and football will not be played, we need to be focused on what we’re here for and it’s basically football,” she said.

The 32-year-old attacker was pleased to return to the national set up after over two years of inactivity from the TT team. TT women played their last match in October 2019 against Dominica Republic and drew goalless.

Cordner however, remained in Norway and continued playing when the league resumed after covid19 restrictions were lifted there. She has scored two goals for her club for this season thus far, the most recent one just 11 days ago.

“I’m pretty much excited after being away for so long. It’s a great feeling to come back to represent the red white and black despite the challenges that we face. I am still happy to be here to go out there and give my best,” she added. In the Concacaf region, Panama are ranked sixth while TT are eighth. On the overall FIFA rankings, Panama are 59th and TT 70th.

Cordner rued the team’s inability to secure at least one practice match ahead of Thursday’s friendly. She said the team will still approach Thursday’s match and show that TT can still prove to be a good challenge.

The seasoned player said she still has to familiarise herself with some of the newer players on the team but believes the mood in the camp is a positive one.

“There are a lot of new faces for me because I have not been around for a long time. But I’ve grown so much to understand when you’re around something new, it’s to adapt.

“The vibes and energy I’m getting from the girls is a great one. We just have to go out there and do our best. Like Maylee (Attin-Johnson) says, when your legs stop working, play with your heart. We will need heart to go out there and represent the red, white and black,” she added.

Additionally, interim coach Jones said he enjoys the energy and willingness of the squad. Although he has only been in charge for four days, Jones was able to hold a couple training sessions with the squad ahead of Thursday’s meeting.

“What we’re doing is trying to develop a culture within the squad. Now these two games will give them a test and see where we’re at, where we need to improve and also give us the ability to see new players in this type of setting.

He continued, “I’m also very curious to see what will happen for the things and problems we have to face and what we have to solve. How we go about that on a daily basis and how we instill the confidence in this team as we push towards the goal of qualification (Concacaf qualifiers in February 2022).”

1]; } ?>