April 26, 2024, 01:56:49 AM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones responds to Rednapp's doubts.  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones responds to Rednapp's doubts.
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Kenwyne Jones responds to Rednapp's doubts.
By: Will Scott (Northern Echo).

Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones yesterday responded to his former manager Harry Redknapp's recent comments regarding his desire to make it as a top-class striker.
Redknapp admitted he questioned whether his former charge at Southampton had the commitment and determination to become a successful Premier League star when he was Jones' manager.
The former Saints boss was so convinced his young striker would not cut the mustard that he sent him out on loan to Stoke City and Sheffield Wednesday during Redknapp's year-long sojourn at St Mary's between December 2004 and December 2005.
Given that assessment, it was unsurprising eyebrows were raised when Sunderland paid £6m for the Trinidad and Tobago international.
But Jones has more than justified his price tag and surprised more than just his former boss with how well he has adapted to the Premier League.
"If I'm truthful to myself I knew I had the desire," said Jones. "I think I showed it when I went out on loan to different clubs.
"It's all in the past now and I think you can see that desire when I play every week so it's not a question to be asked."
The 23-year-old's form has been so impressive since he swapped life on the south coast for the North-East that his boss Roy Keane has consequently claimed his new recruit is worth £40m, and added he is arguably the best striker in the Premier League.
Jones was humbled by his manager's appraisal and says that while he was flattered by the compliment he's determined to keep his feet firmly on the ground.
Jones was also magnanimous enough to recognise that some of his Premier League contemporaries may be more deserving of the top flight's best striker tag.
"I was glad to hear he has that much confidence in me, the way he expresses himself is his own way," said Jones, who is looking to add to his five goals this term at Anfield today. "I still have a long way to go.
"It's a huge compliment from him, as new as I am to the game it's not something I take to my head because you might lose yourself, but it's nice.
"I've had a bit of stick (from my team-mates) for that. If he says something like that about you, you might not have to live up to that, but you have to put in performances to help you to escape the bollockings.
"The best in the league is (Emmanuel) Adebayor right now, he's the top of the goal charts. Every player has their attributes; I don't think Liverpool would have bought (Fernando) Torres if he didn't have something about him.
"At the moment he's (Adebayor) in the form right now, we're not talking about (Cristiano) Ronaldo, he's a winger. Adebayor is the in-form striker at the moment and he has the most goals so he's the top man, there's no arguments about that."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:48:59 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones responds to Rednapp's doubts.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »
Rednapp didnt give the boy ah chance...he panic loaned the boy out and dey got relegated that season.  Although he only a few sub appearances before being loaned out im sure rednapp regretted not keeping and hence another reason he  wasnt selected as england coach
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 01:03:22 PM »
To be fair, though, from most accounts Kenwyne was a mess in the earlies. And also pretty lazy. I think how he playing now is because the World Cup experience put fire in him.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 01:07:04 PM »
Rednapp didnt give the boy ah chance...he panic loaned the boy out and dey got relegated that season.  Although he only a few sub appearances before being loaned out im sure rednapp regretted not keeping and hence another reason he  wasnt selected as england coach

why would rednapp regret ? He loan defoe out also ..... he loaned jones out to get match experience... after jones came back from shefield wednesday he did get playing itme ..allyuh  think its easy going from playing at w connection as a defender  and being converted to a striker in the EPL...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »
I wish Kenwyne all the best. I hope he really does live up to the hype cause right now is only hype.
IMHO Kenwyne work ethic and commitment on the pitch not there. There were chances in the last game where the team lost possesion, regained possession and he was in no hurry to bring himself back onside to get into the play. He did not follow through on shots taken on goal (Lack of predatory instinct) and he didn't do much off the ball to create options for his team mates. He also needs to stop flicking on the ball. Teams onto that and it is becoming useless. If he could hold up the ball and bring more team members into the play would be nice. I think he has great potential but his percieved work ethic could affect team moral. If you the star and you not fighting the game then why should others. I don't get the blood sweat and tears feel from him. Stern picked up his work rate and it has done him well. Maybe Stern or Dwight should talk to Kenwyne.

He has shown fight in other games during the season however maybe this was just an off game. Service form the midfield was non existent. The other striker (can't remember name)  was getting more touches and more into the game though.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
IMHO Kenwyne work ethic and commitment on the pitch not there. There were chances in the last game ....
You watch the wrong game, boss. Kenwyne was bad against Liverpool, but in general... KJ is the hardest working man on the field. He does be everywhere. Up front, wings, defending, everywhere.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
IMHO Kenwyne work ethic and commitment on the pitch not there. There were chances in the last game ....
You watch the wrong game, boss. Kenwyne was bad against Liverpool, but in general... KJ is the hardest working man on the field. He does be everywhere. Up front, wings, defending, everywhere.

I saw that too...but ah say to me self..KJ smart, he saving he self for the big game on Wednesday  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 03:07:08 PM »
i feel that rippin in a bad mood because he missing carnival....hype? Kenwyne Jones is singlehandedly keeping Sunderland out of the relegation zone....he has a hand in every goal whether scoring or setting up...we always knew of his potential......he is THE REAL DEAL.

Offline trinsolutions

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »
allyuh making the football hard. it's simple, play simple and u will get happiness.

1]; } ?>