March 28, 2024, 02:00:52 AM

Author Topic: Just say no to Mr Warner. (FA-T&T friendly)  (Read 5997 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Just say no to Mr Warner. (FA-T&T friendly)
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 12:50:45 PM »
D money he could make wit that match is not only d olive branch he extend I say is d entire tree
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 01:10:38 PM »
Lord this hit every small town paper in the UK:

Warner holds out olive branch

17:55 - 07 February 2008

He added: "What I did say in a BBC radio interview last year, was nothing but the reproduction of opinions and background whispers offered by false friends in Europe.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh yes, de ammended version....

Last year was last year, and dis year is dis year.....

Oh lord ah trying real hard not to laugh.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
Warner rails at 'deplorable' McBeth
By Martyn Ziegler (Scotsman)

FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has opened the way for a friendly between England and Trinidad & Tobago in June by hailing the FA as the most respected association in the world.
The FA had wanted Warner, the head of Caribbean football, to redress comments he made last year about England being "an irritant" to Europe and having had no impact in world football. Warner now says while European football figures do denigrate England, in the rest of the world the FA's international development work has reaped huge dividends.

He also claims that without his active support, former FA chairman Geoff Thompson would not have been elected as a fellow Fifa vice-president.

Warner was instrumental in securing Thompson the seat as Britain's Fifa vice-president. Scottish Football Association president John McBeth was about to take the post last May, only to be forced to withdraw after suggesting African and Caribbean associations were tainted by corruption and greed.

Warner said: "To assume that I had a personal grudge against England is incorrect. Frankly, without my active support, there still would not be an Englishman in Fifa's executive committee today: I encouraged Geoff to take on the responsibility of Fifa vice-president after that deplorable Scot McBeth lashed out against virtually anything non-British in a reprehensible way.

"One must not forget that for decades, there was no Englishman in any body of relevance at Uefa or Fifa levels. For 17 years, your Home Countries were represented by a Scot, and only when Geoff Thompson with his quiet yet professional and dedicated ways offered to play an active role, Uefa and later Fifa accepted an Englishman in their most senior ranks."

The FA is keen to hold the friendly in the West Indies on 1 June because Warner, the president of the Concacaf federation, is a hugely-important Fifa figure in terms of the 2018 World Cup bid. The match would also be part of the centenary celebrations of the country's football federation (T&TFF), and would fit in with England manager Fabio Capello's plans.

Warner, special adviser to the T&TFF, is something of a controversial figure in football. Last year, his son Daryan was banned from selling World Cup tickets after offering briefs from the 2006 tournament for several times their face value. The T&TFF are also currently being sued by their own players over bonuses they say they are owed from the 2006 finals.

Warner is a vital figure in terms of the 2018 campaign however – he directly controls three of the 24 Fifa executive committee votes and has a strong influence over four more. He is also a strong backer of Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

Warner, who insisted the FA had never asked him personally for any retraction of his comments about England, added: "I am certain that nobody of relevance within the FA believes that Jack Warner is England's enemy. The opposite is true.

"What I did say in a BBC radio interview last year, was nothing but the reproduction of opinions and background whispers offered by false friends in Europe.

"Numerous European football grandees have often made derogatory remarks about England in the past. What I did was merely to state them and share them with the public at large.

"Unfortunately, it was subsequently construed to be 'Jack Warner's opinion', simply because it was I who had voiced what others – behind England's back – were and are saying in Europe.

"I emphasise 'Europe' because the FA, under Geoff Thompson's leadership, and ever sin
ce (the failed bid for the World Cup in] 2006 has changed course in international terms and stepped up its international development programme to a level unmatched by any other FA in the world. The FA today is probably the most respected football association in Europe in the eyes of virtually all countries within Concacaf, Asia, Africa and South America."

Warner said a friendly with England would be "fabulous". "The T&TFF, having been formed by English settlers in 1908, has come a long way since then.

"If England were to play our twin-island nation's team to celebrate 100 years of football history, it would be a fabulous sign of recognition.

"Therefore, and when the timing is appropriate, I will be happy to outline the fine achievements of the FA in international development, with or without a game being played between our countries in honour of our 100- year birthday."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 06:58:12 PM »
What ah...........!!!!!!!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 10:58:55 PM »
Bowing to the English
Fazeer Mohammed (Express)

Friday, February 8th 2008

Will this be another "Yesterday was yesterday, today is today" moment?

It seems there's only one thing standing in the way of our former colonial masters coming to these shores in June to take on the national team in the showpiece occasion of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation's centenary celebrations: an apology, or more precisely, a retraction, from no less a person than Jack Warner himself.

Based on a report carried in yesterday's Trinidad Express sports section on the authority of the website ESPN Soccernet, the English Football Association is prepared to entertain a request for their senior national squad to bestow us with the enviable honour of their esteemed presence, once Warner retracts this comment he made last year in the midst of a debate over the abandonment of FIFA's continental rotation policy which would clear the way for England to mount a bid for the 2018 World Cup Finals:

"England has never had any impact on world football...England at no time has the love and support of Europe. For Europe, England is an irritant."

And that was just an extract from all that he said, which had the bigwigs at the EFA spluttering into their cups of Earl Grey (it may be Darjeeling, who knows?) at the brazen effrontery of this nowhere man from a nowhere land to dare to diss a country that prides itself as the spiritual home of the beautiful game. Indeed, the theme of their failed bid for the 2006 Finals, which went to Germany, was something along the lines of "Football Comes Home."

By the way, if anyone is upset at the reference to sweet T&T, home of the steelpan, calypso and limbo, not to mention the greatest show on earth, as a "nowhere land" in terms of the footballing map, just digest this other observation by ESPN Soccernet in relation to the same issue:

"It is understood that playing in (sic) Trinidad would fit in with Fabio Capello's plans of a match against a testing opponent at the end of May followed by a trip abroad where the England manager can spend some time with the players in a low-pressure environment."

I put the (sic) in because, at the risk of sounding like an insecure, small island fanatic, you really get sick and tired of people ignoring the fact that Tobago (Dwight Yorke, remember him?) is an integral part of our twin-island state, not an appendage that can be conveniently disconnected for the sake of literary expediency.

But that's just an aside. What's really revealing is the regard, or lack thereof, that Monsignor Capello appears to have for us puny Third Worlders. Never mind that the game, if it does come off, will be around the same time that Trinidad and Tobago will be taking on either Bermuda or the Cayman Islands in a home-and-away tie that kicks off our actual qualifying campaign to make it to South Africa 2010, and will therefore be expected to display a sharp, competitive edge even if the English are laid back.

To say that either of those two initial qualifying opponents are of no consequence and we shouldn't even have to be up to full steam to blow them away is to adopt the same insultingly condescending attitude that we accuse those good folks up north of harbouring towards us. And let us please keep in mind, shall we, that for all of the glory and celebration of making it to Germany '06, we were in considerable danger of stumbling fatally at the feet of humble St Vincent and the Grenadines before two late goals by Hector Sam and Angus Eve saw us through to the final phase of CONCACAF qualification.

No, what really crawls the blood is the insinuation that England coming here to play Trinidad and Tobago is not really all that far removed from a working holiday for the visitors in a "low-pressure environment," with 90 minutes of football at a reasonable enough pace to excite us star-struck natives before they return to the creature comforts of their luxury accommodation, complete with well-stocked bar and glamorous swarm of all-too-willing barflies.

Would it not be much more significant and symbolic if we were to invite, say, the African champions in a show of solidarity with a part of the world that suffers from the same sort of upper crust exploitation and condescension that has shaped our history, never mind the growing prominence of African footballers in the world's top domestic leagues?

And even if the likes of Ghana, Ivory Coast, Egypt or Cameroon couldn't make it, how about showing that we really have broken the shackles and approach Asian champions Iraq, who overcame the continuing destruction of their country to emerge triumphant last year, to honour us with a game worthy of our centenary celebrations?

But there's never going to be a chance of that, because I can see so many readers twisting up their faces at the prospect of enduring Abu Nobody and Abdul Whoever when they could be pulling on their England replica shirts and gallerying about how they know everything about Steven Gerrard from his tally of international goals to the favourite meal of his second cousin's uncle's former wife.

Almost two hundred years after the end of slavery and more than a hundred years since indentureship ceased, the mental ties that bind are stronger than any chains.

So Jack, let's try it one more time: Yesterday was yesterday and...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 12:07:40 AM »
Bowing to the English
Fazeer Mohammed (Express)

Friday, February 8th 2008

"It is understood that playing in (sic) Trinidad would fit in with Fabio Capello's plans of a match against a testing opponent at the end of May followed by a trip abroad where the England manager can spend some time with the players in a low-pressure environment."

I put the (sic) in because, at the risk of sounding like an insecure, small island fanatic, you really get sick and tired of people ignoring the fact that Tobago (Dwight Yorke, remember him?) is an integral part of our twin-island state, not an appendage that can be conveniently disconnected for the sake of literary expediency.

steups

Who gives a rat's f**kkin ass....

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:36 AM »
But there's never going to be a chance of that, because I can see so many readers twisting up their faces at the prospect of enduring Abu Nobody and Abdul Whoever when they could be pulling on their England replica shirts and gallerying about how they know everything about Steven Gerrard from his tally of international goals to the favourite meal of his second cousin's uncle's former wife.

Almost two hundred years after the end of slavery and more than a hundred years since indentureship ceased, the mental ties that bind are stronger than any chains.

cough  u mean cough Rooney cough cough

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 03:51:14 AM »
From afar, ir certainly seems that Mr Mohammed is  still suffering from "Almost two hundred years after the end of slavery and more than a hundred years since indentureship ceased, the mental ties that bind are stronger than any chains. "

Because when I read the comment about low pressure environment, this is what I thought:

Away from UK and Europe and the scrutiny of the press hyped up about Euro 2008.
The relaxed, chilled atmosphere of the Caribbean.
Sunshine and beaches.

This is why the Caribbean is such a popular holiday destination. The purpose of a friendly at this time is to bond the team and build team spirit. This is why many club teams choose holiday destination for pre season training.

Even better, England can play a 2006 World Cup finalist and gain brownie points for their 2018 bid. Even the journos will be more relaxed and less critical.

So, in my opinion, and offence to T&T is purely imaginary. Yes, I admit, if England wanted a testing workout, they may have chosen Mexico or USA, but thats a fair comment, isn't it. Brazil played Rep of Ireland on weds while England played the Swiss. Why do you think that was? Brazil and England didn't want a heavy match at this stage of the season. T&T are at least as good as Swiss and Rep of Ireland.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 08:52:03 AM »
From afar, ir certainly seems that Mr Mohammed is still suffering from "Almost two hundred years after the end of slavery and more than a hundred years since indentureship ceased, the mental ties that bind are stronger than any chains. "

Because when I read the comment about low pressure environment, this is what I thought:

Sunshine and beaches.

This is why the Caribbean is such a popular holiday destination. The purpose of a friendly at this time is to bond the team and build team spirit. This is why many club teams choose holiday destination for pre season training.

Even better, England can play a 2006 World Cup finalist and gain brownie points for their 2018 bid. Even the journos will be more relaxed and less critical.

So, in my opinion, and offence to T&T is purely imaginary. Yes, I admit, if England wanted a testing workout, they may have chosen Mexico or USA, but thats a fair comment, isn't it. Brazil played Rep of Ireland on weds while England played the Swiss. Why do you think that was? Brazil and England didn't want a heavy match at this stage of the season. T&T are at least as good as Swiss and Rep of Ireland.

I beg to differ...How about T&T are at least as good as Puerto Rico and Guadelopue.

I don't think agree that Capello want to come here because the Caribbean is a popular destination for pre season training.  I can't recall any of the powerhouses coming here for pre-season training within recent times.  Asia is the more popular destination.  Brazil and England played lesser teams the other day because NOW is building time...not so in four months time.

Added to that, why would he want to face a testing team in May and then cool down against T&T right after, to do team building...in preseason ??  June is campaign season where man have to be sharp.

I feel he chose T&T because they looking to get Jack votes for they campaign and playing against Jack shit side, they cyah lose...is a win win situation....is just that they could afford to squeeze Jack arm lil bit to get an apology...hollow as it may be.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »
I feel he chose T&T because they looking to get Jack votes for they campaign and playing against Jack shit side, they cyah lose...is a win win situation....is just that they could afford to squeeze Jack arm lil bit to get an apology...hollow as it may be.
good one Pardners
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 09:34:59 AM »
From afar, ir certainly seems that Mr Mohammed is still suffering from "Almost two hundred years after the end of slavery and more than a hundred years since indentureship ceased, the mental ties that bind are stronger than any chains. "

Sunshine and beaches.

I beg to differ...How about T&T are at least as good as Puerto Rico and Guadelopue.

I don't think agree that Capello want to come here because the Caribbean is a popular destination for pre season training.  I can't recall any of the powerhouses coming here for pre-season training within recent times.  Asia is the more popular destination.  Brazil and England played lesser teams the other day because NOW is building time...not so in four months time.

Added to that, why would he want to face a testing team in May and then cool down against T&T right after, to do team building...in preseason ?? 
June is campaign season where man have to be sharp. Not in England, mate. June is when players begin pre season. They probably won't even touc a ball in first few weeks of June. Then there'll be friendlies in early July (usually somewhere warm such as Spain) Englands first WC cup match is 6th September vs Andorra, so I don't think they want to focus on being sharp in June!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 06:57:10 PM »
Pardners in rippin form
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
Good one, Pardners

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2008, 09:00:05 PM »
Allyuh tink Jack easy ? There's only one Jack Warner

ENGLAND has received a major boost to its 2018 World Cup chances after influential Fifa vice-president Jack Warner hailed the Football Association as the most-respected association in the world.

Warner’s latest remarks also open the way to a friendly between England and T&T on June 1 in the West Indies.

The FA had wanted Warner, the head of Caribbean football, to redress comments he made last year about England being “an irritant” to Europe and having had no impact in world football.

Warner now says while European football figures do denigrate England, in the rest of the world the FA’s international development work has reaped huge dividends.

He also claims that without his active support, former FA chairman Geoff Thompson would not have been elected as a fellow Fifa vice-president.

On their side, the FA is keen to hold the friendly in the West Indies on June 1 because Warner, the president of the Concacaf federation, is a very important Fifa figure in terms of the 2018 World Cup bid.

The match would also be part of the centenary celebrations of the country’s football federation (T&TFF), and would fit in with England manager Fabio Capello’s plans.

Warner said: “I am certain that nobody of relevance within the FA believes that Jack Warner is England’s enemy. The opposite is true.

“What I did say in a BBC radio interview last year, was nothing but the reproduction of opinions and background whispers offered by false friends in Europe.

“Numerous European football grandees have often made derogatory remarks about England in the past. What I did was merely to state them and share them with the public at large.

“Unfortunately, it was subsequently construed to be ‘Jack Warner’s opinion’, simply because it was I who had voiced what others—behind England’s back—were and are saying in Europe.

“I emphasise ‘Europe’ because the FA, under Geoff Thompson’s leadership, and ever since (the failed bid for the World Cup in) 2006 has changed course in international terms and stepped up its international development programme to a level unmatched by any other FA in the world.

“The FA is probably the most respected football association in Europe in the eyes of virtually all countries within Concacaf, Asia, Africa and South America.”

Warner is a vital figure in terms of the 2018 campaign however—he directly controls three of the 24 Fifa executive committee votes and has a strong influence over four more. He is also a strong backer of Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

Warner was also instrumental in securing Thompson the seat as Britain’s Fifa vice-president. Scottish FA president John McBeth was about to take the post last May, only to be forced to withdraw after suggesting African and Caribbean associations were tainted by corruption and greed.

Warner added: “To assume that I had a personal grudge against England is incorrect. Frankly, without my active support, there still would not be an Englishman in Fifa’s executive committee today: I encouraged Geoff to take on the responsibility of Fifa vice-president after that deplorable Scot McBeth lashed out against virtually anything non-British in a reprehensible way.

guardian

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
Quote of all quotes d most respected association. I taught it was d TTFF

1]; } ?>