March 28, 2024, 10:03:09 AM

Author Topic: Olympic Team Thread.  (Read 46763 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:53:16 PM by E-man »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How important is Olimpic football to Brazil?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
Deeks ah respect yuh.... change something (hint)  ;D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Olympic Team Thread.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »
My views on T&T's 2012 Olympic qualifying series.

Coach

Name - Angus Eve.
Position - Head Coach.
Past Experince: - San Juan Jabloteh (Assistant Coach), Ma Pau SC (Assistant Coach).
Rating - 4 (10).
Strength - Seems to have his heart in the right place.
Weakness - Poor tactical ability, failure to better prepare his players and his team. As a team T&T lacked organisation and looked lost for ideas on the field, not to mention there were gaps to be filled and only deteriorated as the game progressed. Team selection, formation and substitution was also questionable. Could it be players not responding well to Eve's command?

Further Notes: -While the players are decent as individuals, T&T as a team is relatively a poorly structured one. For example, find a suitable formation to compliment the team strength and weakness.

There are gaps between defence to midfield and, especially midfield to forward as there is no one used to bridge them. The long high balls are also affecting the team's chemistry to string a few passes together.

Another problem was quite obvious, there were no other left-sided players to replace a suspended Joevin Jones. Furthermore, the midfield is the engine of any team yet T&T continued playing senseless long balls to the strikers which were lost and put them under immediate pressure.

Finally, the team looked totally different against Honduras and could have gotten a favorable result but failed to convert, the lone striker wasn't working to effectively.

But to blame Angus Eve alone would not be right. Poor technical ability in some of the basic criteria is the responsibility of the clubs etc etc. National coaches alone cannot take all abuse. Now the Federation did not allow for proper preparation of this squad, that being said, they did enter the Pan Am Games, but what did they really do since then?

Six (6) players from El Salvador played at the 2011 Gold Cup, six (6) from Honduras did the same. Mexico entered this team into the Copa America and then Pan Am Games which they won defeating Argentina.

Goalkeeper

Name - Andre Marchan.
Date of birth - 11 August 1990.
Club: - W Connection (TRI) - On loan to North East Stars.
School: - Carapichaima Secondary.
Number - 1.
Position - Goalkeeper.
Rating - 4 (10).
Strength - A decent shot stopper.
Weakness - Poor on high balls, crosses and does not comand his area with confidence. Had a relatively poor 2012 Olympic qualifying series. Also, Andre needs to know how to punch the ball when trying to clear it.

Defenders

Name - Daneil Cyrus.
Date of birth - 15 December 1990
Club: - FC 1st Santa Rosa (TRI).
School: - Mason Hall & El Dorado.
Number - 19.
Position - Center Back.
Rating - 8.5 (10).
Strength - Solid at the back, commands his area well, good aerial and good passing ability, can play various positions and has the pace to recover when playing wing back. Clearly one of T&T's best and most consistent performer at the 2012 Olympic qualifying series.
Weakness - Experience.

Name - Joevin Jones.
Date of birth - 8 March 1991.
Club: - W Connection (TRI).
School: - Mucurapo Senior.
Number - 3.
Position - Left Back.
Rating - 6 (10).
Strength - A decent left footed defender who loves to make overlapping runs down the wing, great going forward and isn't afraid to shoot at goal. Jones also has a decent recovery time.
Weakness - Needs to work on his passing from defence to midfield and eliminate the long balls.

Name - Sheldon Bateau.
Date of birth - 29 January 1991.
Club: - San Juan Jabloteh (TRI).
School: - Fatima College.
Number - 4.
Position - Defensive.
Rating - 4 (10).
Strength - One of T&T's hardest workers on the field. Broke up many plays from opposing attackers. Good in the air and can play many defensive roles.
Weakness - Gives away 90% of balls won. Needs to work on his passing and shooting. As a captain, Bateau must lead by example and must be vocal enough to lift his teammates.

Name - Kareem Moses.
Date of birth - 11 February 1990.
Club: - St Ann's Rangers (TRI).
School: - ?.
Number - 2.
Position - Center Back.
Rating - 5 (10).
Strength - Does the simple things, holds his ground and covers his partner well. Hard worker and capable of playing the sweeper role well.
Weakness - Needs to work on his man marking and aerial strength.

Name - Leslie Russell.
Date of birth - 21 August 1989
School: - ?.
Number - ?.
Position - Right Back.
Rating - 4.5 (10).
Strength - A simple defensive player. Does the simple things that is instructed.
Weakness - Does not get forward enough, needs to position himself better and needs to make better decisions with the ball.

Name - Mekeil Williams.
Date of birth - 24 July 1990.
Club: - Pogon Szczecin (POL).
School: - St Anthony's College.
Number - 17.
Position - Defensive.
Rating - 7 (10).
Strength - Another tiredless worker, has a high work rate and fights to the end. I enjoyed the energy he brought to the game.
Weakness - Makes to many wild tackles. Needs to be more composed on the ball when won.

Midfielders

Name - Micah Lewis.
Date of birth - 20 March 1990.
Club: - Caledonia AIA (TRI).
School: - St Anthony's College.
Number - 18.
Position - Right Wing.
Rating - 5 (10).
Strength - Good on the wing, can be creative, have pace and cannot be kicked off the ball easily.
Weakness - Needs to work on his crossing and consistency. Also needs to learn how to use his ability more effectively.

Name - Curtis Gonzales.
Date of birth - 26 January 1989
Club: - Defence Force (TRI).
School: - San Juan Senior.
Number - 15.
Position - Right Wing.
Rating - 5 (10).
Strength - Does the simple things, shows good potential in both attacking and defending.
Weakness - Needs to work on his crossing and a little to one dimention.

Name - Jomal Williams.
Date of birth - 28 April 1994
School: - East Mucurapo Secondary.
Number - 13.
Position - Left Wing.
Rating - 6 (10).
Strength - T&T's youngest member of the 2012 Olympic team and despite only making one appearance at the tournament Williams looked impressive. Had an immediate impact on the game and seems to have the potential to be a high scoring midfielder?
Weakness - Not enough time to comment.

Name - Jeromie Williams.
Date of birth - 17 May 1989.
Club: - North East Stars (TRI).
School: - Scarborough Secondary.
Number - 8.
Position - Midfielder.
Rating - 5.5 (10).
Strength - Does the simple things, broke up many plays from midfield. A tidy midfielder.
Weakness - Needs to work on his pace and make better decisions with the ball especially going forward.

Name - Jayson Joseph.
Date of birth - 7 January 1989.
Club: - T&TEC (TRI).
School: - Naparima College.
Number - 12.
Position - Midfielder.
Rating - 6.5 (10).
Strength - A tiny midfielder with a punch to his game. Can really turn it up both defensive and offensive. Very combative.
Weakness - Needs to work on his final play and attacking options.

Name - Kevan George.
Date of birth - 30 January 1990
Club: - Columbus Crew (USA).
School: - Bishop High.
Number - 5.
Position - Defensive Midfielder.
Rating - 5.5 (10).
Strength - Came into the tournament basically unknown. Did not have a good first game but grew as the tournament progressed. Another combative midfielder who can do attackers a lot of damage. Has a good workrate and covers a lot of ground at a good pace. Has good height and can score off headers.
Weakness - Needs work on his discipline, his passing and attacking options.

Name - Kevin Molino.
Date of birth - 17 June 1990.
Club: - Orlando City (USA).
School: - Mucarapo Senior Secondary.
Number - 10.
Position - Midfielder.
Rating - 6.5 (10).
Strength - Good vision, good ability to turn and escape defenders, very nippy, does everything a true midfielder is supposed to do. Does have a decent shot on goal, very determined and is capable of taking corner and set-plays. I believe Molino can be a turned into a future number 10, controlling the central midfield and spraying passes? Unfortunately, his talent was not properly utilized.
Weakness - Needs to be more composed on the ball, can get kicked off the ball easily at times.

Name - Sean De Silva.
Date of birth - 17 January 1990
Club/School: - College of Charleston (USA).
School: - St Mary's College.
Number - 7.
Position - Midfielder.
Rating - 5.5 (10).
Strength - Has good technical ability and a good eye for passing the ball accurately, can be very creative and capable of scoring from set plays. Could be a true #10 as well, but that's entirely up to him?
Weakness - Takes too many touches to get into the game and gets overwhelmed by defenders in the process. Needs to work on his first touch and transition play. Appears to be distracted by so call "big games".

Forwards

Name - Shahdon Winchester.
Date of birth - 8 January 1992.
School: - Naparima College.
Number - 11.
Position - Center Forward.
Rating - 7 (10).
Strength - Very nippy forward who can beat his marker, showed fight and composure on the ball. A hard working forward that gets back to defend. The mobility of Winchester can surely be a compliment to strikers that are less mobile.
Weakness - Needs to take more shots on goal at every opportunity. Can also work on his shooting power.

Name - Jamal Gay.
Date of birth - 9 February 1989.
School: - El Dorado Senior.
Number - 9.
Position - Center Forward.
Rating - 5.5 (10).
Strength - Holds up the ball well and makes decent passes, great aerial strength.
Weakness - Unfortunately, the system T&T uses does not compliment Gay too much. As a lone striker he does not get the serves needed and does not create chances. He also needs to learn how to play 1 on 1 and take his chances on goals more often.

Name - Trevin Caesar.
Date of birth - 26 April 1989.
School: - Scarborough Secondary.
Number - 14.
Position - Right Forward.
Rating - 4 (10).
Strength - Hard worker, decent composure on the ball.
Weakness - Failed to convert about 3 good opportunities. Needs to take more shots on goal and needs to work on his aerial strength and positioning.

Note: - Cordell Cato (Seattle Sounders/Injured out) and Sheldon Clarke (Defence Force/Uncapped) - No Rating.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:25:27 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: My views on T&T's 2012 Olympic qualifying series.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
Good analysis of the U-23s Flex.  :thumbsup:

I would not give Molino such a high rating ( 8 ) in this tournament though. I was left a bit underwhelmed by his performance and expected a lot more from him. He'll get a 6 from me.  He is still class though and will improve with experience.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:28:31 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »
Good analysis of the U-23s Flex.  :thumbsup:

I would not give Molino such a high rating in this tournament though. I was left a bit underwhelmed by his performance and expected a lot more from him. He'll get a 6 from me.  He is still class though and will improve with experience.

Agree 100% Molino was at best a 6.5. I thought his decision making in the final third wasnt so great and his passing was just ok. Unfortunately i dont see him as a future 10 he looks like a #7 to me. I also thought Mekeil Williams was our best player I'd give him a 7.5, a 6.5 seems harsh for a CB who played CM and even took corner kicks.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
Good review Flex! I would give Jamal Gay a higher rating though!
I am not surprised at the outcome though! I have been observing and found Eve not up to the task! The problem in Trinidad is we have too many hurrycomeuppers without having the experience and exposure for the top jobs! Men have to earn stripes !
Same goes for the Technical Director! Another person wet behind the ears and not up to that job! What  was he doing in Carson? Was there to observe just pose! Did he have any input, gave any guidance , was a motivating factor?  He got about the same number of goals from Mexico as well! He has nothing to offer! They all need to send in their resignation letters ! We need a fresh start with more competent people if our football is to go anywhere!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
Our players are not to the level.

U23 is full professional in peak of development getting ready for the best year of careers.

None of these men has been able to call down a contract on a decent professional team.

All the Mexican players play for the top teams in mexico

All the Honduras players play for the top team in Honduras

Panama we are a little close too

All the US players play on the top teams in USA and foreign

Our players play in the top teams in TnT

But the TnT level is not on par with that in Mexico and USA and even Honduras.

You cannot take men with limited experience and average natural ability and expect them to compete with men who playing at a high level day in and out. 

They are not prepared.

That is refected in the results

speed of the game
speed of decisions
ability to withstand pressure

all very evident to be lacking.

10 years ago we were working with a much better base of talent and a much weaker opposition

The gap in concacaf has widen considerably and we are falling into the wrong bucket.

Without a revamp of the pro league we will continue to fall behind.

sad but true.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
Flex this team conceded 10 goals and scored 2 but yet you have the lowest rating as a 5. Are you basing your assessment on what you know of them and have seen in the past?  Cause it certainly can't be based on this tournament's performance as it exposed a lot of these players especially their technical inefficiencies. It was quite evident in the Mexico game as we couldn't bring that ball forward far less possess it in the attacking third. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Flex, I agree with MEP, you pretty generous with your ratings.

Offline Hebaldo

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:45:09 PM »
The truth is that we should be as critical of these players performance in this competition as possible and these ratings don't seem harsh enough

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
my ratings
Marchan 3 ...cant hold d ball cant save
Curtis Gonzales.....5 worked well lacking passing ability
Cyrus ......7 best player we had for the tournament...still made mistakes but expected due to the amt of defending done
Kareem Moses .... 4 worked well, has work to do with his defensive positioning
Joevin Jones ......5.5 looked very lively and attacked well, made some good runs but sadly was not played in behind often enough
Mikel Williams....4.5 worked very hard lacked the composure in the middle of the park to play a CM position, tackles carelessly
Sheldon Bateau...3.5 good tackling but that comes to nothing if the ball is given away as you win it...because you cud kick hard doesnt mean you could take free kicks
Kevan George...3.5... i think picked only because he had a mls contract.... looked better against panama and honduras still should not be in the pool until he proves himself
Kevin Molino.....5.5  looked comfortable on the ball at times, alot more expected for someone with the amount of senior caps he has... could not start on any of the teams we played
Jayson joseph....5 not bad needs more composure on the ball  and better decision making...could be a real asset with his speed and dribbling ability
Sean De Silva....5 has all the confidence in the world and can pick out a pass... needs to simplify his game at times, lacks some of the physical attributes other players have, not good defensively
Jamal Gay....5 Tried hard but was isolated, when he got his chances never looked to take on a player....always has to take at least 3 touches because of his poor control
Shandon Winchester...6 always looked a threat, if a goal was going to come it was going to be through him...needs more experience

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »
Micah Lewis ....4 didnt show up has a lot of skill and pace and needs to utilize that
Cesar .....4.5 worked extremely hard but did not get anything to show for it...wasted on good chance
jomal williams 5.....would like to see more of him...he looked comfortable when he came on and played well
Jeromie williams ...4 gives away to many fouls and not that comfortable on the ball

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
Which of these player can transition to the Senior Team?. It would be interesting to hear the views of The Concacaf Technical Team as well as the other coaches involved in this Tournament about the T&T team

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:40 PM »
my ratings
Marchan 3 ...cant hold d ball cant save
Curtis Gonzales.....5 worked well lacking passing ability
Cyrus ......7 best player we had for the tournament...still made mistakes but expected due to the amt of defending done
Kareem Moses .... 4 worked well, has work to do with his defensive positioning
Joevin Jones ......5.5 looked very lively and attacked well, made some good runs but sadly was not played in behind often enough
Mikel Williams....4.5 worked very hard lacked the composure in the middle of the park to play a CM position, tackles carelessly
Sheldon Bateau...3.5 good tackling but that comes to nothing if the ball is given away as you win it...because you cud kick hard doesnt mean you could take free kicks
Kevan George...3.5... i think picked only because he had a mls contract.... looked better against panama and honduras still should not be in the pool until he proves himself
Kevin Molino.....5.5  looked comfortable on the ball at times, alot more expected for someone with the amount of senior caps he has... could not start on any of the teams we played
Jayson joseph....5 not bad needs more composure on the ball  and better decision making...could be a real asset with his speed and dribbling ability
Sean De Silva....5 has all the confidence in the world and can pick out a pass... needs to simplify his game at times, lacks some of the physical attributes other players have, not good defensively
Jamal Gay....5 Tried hard but was isolated, when he got his chances never looked to take on a player....always has to take at least 3 touches because of his poor control
Shandon Winchester...6 always looked a threat, if a goal was going to come it was going to be through him...needs more experience

I forgot about Cyrus he truly was our best player. He single-handedly saved us time after time. If it wasnt for him, and his last ditch defending our GD might have been -13 instead of -8.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
That #19, I am sorry, can't agree about him being our best player (Only saw the Mexico Game). I felt after a couple goals in the Mexico game he gave up. He showed no leadership and purposefully did not take instructions from the keeper. He is not quick and a bit uncordinated. His awareness in tracking players is also poor for a player of his supposedly stature.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 03:34:11 AM »
Intelligent and informative break down Flex.....

Hopefully, the heads take this in a positive and do some changes.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
Excellent work Flex.....

De question is, what will the TTFF do now with these crop of players ?

Angus need to go back to school, all of a sudden he talking about de foreign players now.... all de time is locals he believing in.....

Good wake up call for him !!!!!!!

Now pay de price, a month ago he was in de press opening he big mouth, now he backpedalling....

De locals need education, they trap in they own little world !!!!!

Ah want to hear Anton Corneal now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »
yea Flexos, good piece.
I didnt see any of the games apart from highlights, so I wont comment on who play how, or Eve.

All I can think about is a poast I made when we were in the camp in Florida 2 weeks ago.
there is no way in hell you should be on the verge of a big tournament like this, with such a pedigree team, so much experience, preperation, etc etc and be losing to some no-name local community team from orlando.not from a national team. You could make all the excuse you want about trying different things, experimenting etc, fact is if u are to be taken seriously, you cant be losing games like that....
That should have been a red flag then.
Apart from the loss to Mexico, there is no big embarrassment in losing to Honduras and drawing Panama, these are 2 very excellent youth teams, always have been, much more pedigree than us....
But the Mexico game was the killer, how in God's name you concede 7 goals is beyond me.
And I remember when parents come out and launch this big thing against Anton about how he ruff up and abuse the last team when they get embarass by Mexico, well I hope Angus went easy on them now....  SMH. lets continue to pamper our players and settle for mediocrity...

Its pretty clear that we are a Caribbean top team (forget about the dismal last WC campaign), if we are to really become a top CONCACAF team, fundamental changes have to occur.
We cld blame Angus and the players to an extent, but they are just an extension of all of us. We expect them to do well everytime and win games, yet we struggle to get supporters in the stadium to give them a boost. THey are just supporters playing for our team, and theiir attitude and intensity is the same as us. Plus the other teams were simply better than us.

This team should form the core for the digicel cup.

We need some foreigners to help with team prep. At the end of the day, our biggest success in football came under the guidance of a pedigree, internationally experienced coach who also got the respect of the players. You get what you pay for.

I would love to see the TTFF go after some past US coaches (Sampson/Bradley/Arena). We desperately need some structure and discipline.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
Whaiz de prize fuh being a "top Caribbean team"? 

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
All I can think about is a poast I made when we were in the camp in Florida 2 weeks ago.
there is no way in hell you should be on the verge of a big tournament like this, with such a pedigree team, so much experience, preperation, etc etc and be losing to some no-name local community team from orlando.not from a national team.
Canada lost to that same team and are in the semi-finals. What's your point?  :yapping:

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 09:31:50 AM »
thanks for allyuh view but alyuh ready for mine.. If a ever see dat maco goalkeeper wearing a TNT shirt again I guh buss facking head .. simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 09:37:19 AM »
  questions ?? why are we faulting our players entirely?? why is it that these young men and women are continually being set up to fail?? no one can honestly deny that, as  its clearly obvious that  the real issues should  wrest squarely  on the shoulders on the present administration plain and f....king simple only when that takes place and the proper structures are set in place i mean seriously set in place then and only then we may see the necessary progress we all yearn for from our men and women when  they are sent represent the red , white and black... !! who are we fooling ??? some other questions too many to ask but here are a few more questions where is minister of sport and his ministry in all of this . i truly question this man and his intent quite frankly ( Anil Roberts ) where is he???? it appears he loves photo ops when against the odds our young men and women gain any measure of success keep in mind  not long ago  njsane phillips  the young  cyclist who been pleading  literally pleading for sponsoreship  and financing in order to effectively prepare to meet the standard qualifying amount of points  system to get to london ....hardly anyone came forward to support this talented cyclist .....so who the heck are we fooling ???? where are the structures  ?? the academies?? where is our freaking government , the business co -op community in all of this . ???? are there any insurance for these players???  god forbid anyone of these people sustain any serious injuries there are an abundance of things that seriously must be done and set in place to ensure  these young people who are sent wearing  the red white and black  is worn .. are well prepared and  ready to compete internationally lets get serious  all of TnT that includes me as well i refuse to be  critical at this juncture of the players as there is no doubt in my mind these are being set up to fail i know am gonna get alot of stick for saying so  but one only take an objective view therein lies the answer... again am saying i refuse to place blame at the doorsteps of the players they were not well prepared we can either continue to be  wishful of success as it will not happen until the entire administration @TTFF along the sports ministries get their bloody act together and proactive  rather being reactive this short term quick fix mentality has got to go its time some radical changes take place its time  its time its time oh gosh  man 

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
I had so much hopes for this team.

They really fail me the way they played and lost.

Angus Eve got fooled by the Pan American results.

Aquil Selby, Akeem Adams, Marcus Joseph and Jean-Luc Rochford was missed.

I think that - - Andre Marchan, Micah Lewis, Sean DeSilva (maybe), Jamal Gay (maybe), Trevin Caesar, Jeromie Williams and Leslie Russell was mistakes taking to LA.

Why didn't Eve call in Glenroy Samuel ?

Andre Marchan sucks !!!!!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:24:17 AM by Errol »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Alvin: Eve’s men leaves the best for last Thursday.
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 04:09:17 AM »
Eve’s men leaves the best for last Thursday.
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

With the Angus Eve’s Red Force holding an outside chance of qualifying for the semifinals leading to a place in the London Olympics, their final opponents in the group, Honduras, also had similar thoughts. T&T had to win to advance; Honduras needed only a draw.

In the end, it was Honduras 2 vs T&T 0. A plucky draw against Panama, suggested that T&T could win against Honduras whose performances fluctuated during the tournament. For T&T, the absence of Jamaal Gay was surprising. He was the most experienced striker and has a knack for scoring and one must consider that only two goals were scored in three hours of football.

That suggested the other strikers were not prolific scorers. Nevertheless, the coach would have had a reason for making such a move and probably felt that the unusual speed of Cesar may well have surprised the Central Americans.

Packing a midfield with three defenders also appeared strange, but the failure of the midfielders to produce any organised form of ball winning procedure against Mexico, certainly led the technical staff to correct that problem. It worked well against Panama and Honduras with skipper Bateau, Kevan George, and Mekeil Williams closing down the opposing midfield trio and dispossessing them with a certain degree of success.

But as one problem was solved, another cropped up, as the ball distribution by the same ball winners was at best faulty, at worst, horrible. Honduras regained the ball, not through tactical formula, but by some inaccurate passing and wasted long balls towards the lone striker Shadhon Winchester, who was always surrounded by three defenders.

This strategy reflected the absence of good support and this encouraged the individual approach of some who felt inclined to win the match through their own skill. Knowing that one goal could put T&T in an awkward position, Honduras, through the artistry of their playmakers, Martinez, Mejia, and Crisanto, a classy right wing back, took the fight to the seven-man T&T defence, especially as they realized that counter attacks were not even on the cards.

Even after one goal down, T&T should have brought the game back level early in the second half. Chances for Winchester, Molino, Cesar, and even skipper Bateau, failed to capitalise. Young Winchester, who had quite a good game, created a wonderful chance for himself in the opponent’s penalty area and failed to complete what would have been a fine goal.

Bateau’s cross was even more exciting when it found Winchester’s head on the six-yard line and the goalkeeper on the goalline. A directed header on either side of the keeper would have entered the net. For the last 20 minutes, the team sprung to life as Molino and Jovin Jones started some combination moves which caused serious concerns for Honduras.

They used an injured player’s delay to get together during the match to deal with what was appearing to be a positive challenge by T&T. Goals showed up, shots were taken with constant regularity, but none finding their mark and time eventually ran out for the twin island state.

Admittedly, their final match was their best effort and may well have left them with the belief that our country’s national programme can take these lessons and move ahead to the upcoming Gold Cup preliminaries and a team building programme for the next few years.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39:44 AM »
Good work Flex!!  :beermug:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:52 AM »
If Anton wasn't technical director, you would have seen how Alvin would have bash the team.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 08:48:58 AM »
there is no way in hell you should be on the verge of a big tournament like this, with such a pedigree team, so much experience, preperation, etc etc and be losing to some no-name local community team from orlando.not from a national team.
Canada lost to that same team and are in the semi-finals. What's your point?  :yapping:

My point was that this close to the finals tournament, we should be getting better results if we are a truly quality team.
So whats your argument? Because Canada also lose to Ft Lauderdale, that mean we equal to Canada?
Let me tell you in case you didnt know, football is not 1+1 = 2, as beenhakker always said. If we use your logic, how in God's name we draw with Panama yet Mexico needed a very late goal to beat them 1-0, while we collect 7??
Football is played on the field, not based on mutal results. Football is goverened by the context in which it is played.. For all we know, Fort Lauderdale played a full strength team vs Canada and a bunch of trialists vs Trinidad...

At the end of the day, U-23 qualifying is real hard. We have never come close. Honduras is a real top team at this level, they won the competition twice, last series they beat the US in the US. Panama is always competitive, their youth teams have been very impressive over the last decade, and well Mexico is just world class. They just won the U17 WC, came in top 4 in the U20 or something so, plus the core of their team play in the Copa America last year...
I have NO PROBLEM whatsoevere with the results vs Honduras and Panama...Its the Mexico game that hurts.
Nothing wrong with having teams better than u, we were competitive in the last 2 games, but we collapsed in the first. I did not see the game, so I will not be too judgemental on Eve, maybe he should have made more tactical switches, some of the blame obviously lies with the players as they were the ones on the field...
This is the big difference betwene a pedigree, proven international coach and local coaches - the ability to mould a team that can keep shape, discipline and adjust when they ned to...
Man talking about how we cant do the basics and looking bun on the field and playing book kick football. If u take this T&T team and put them against lesser opposition, they will look like Brazil. But playing against a better team (mexico) who play fast one touch, high pressure game, we cannot do the things we usually do. thats why Barcelona look so good, they press insanely to put pressure on the opposition and make them give away possession and chase the game and get tired.
Out football philosophy is not Barcelona's nor is it Mexico's, it will never be. But if we are to compete with CONCACAF best, we have to figure out a way to better neutralise their strengths and promote ours. We have failed to do this over the last 50 years. The US has figured out how to do it. Canada has done on occassions. Jamaica and T&T have not.

We have 2 options now - wait till we produce another stream of very talented ballers like we did in the late 80's early 90's or we make an investment to get world class trainers and turn our average players now into competitive teams.
I much prefer the latter.
The first plan we tried and won tons of Digicel Cups and waltzed thru early WCQ rounds only to come up short.
The second plan with Beenhakker saw a very structured team assembled with experienced, average players. None of theose players had he raw talent of Evans Wise, Jerren Nixon, Leonson Lewis, terry St Louis, Arnold Dwarika etc, but look what happened (we also had some luck too and a spark with latas).

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Sando you right about that! When is Alvin going to stop that shit! He is so transparent in his approach! Writing in his son's favour all the time s o he could stay in a job and our football has now run to the bottom! Are the people in TTFF stupid? How come  he is fooling them for so long!
Are these men going to continue in this vein and hold the entire country to ransom? History will not be kind to these self serving rascals!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
I have to agree with Flex on many issues. Simply looking at coaching and not properly reviewing all the factors involved, will always give an impression that only one element is/was missing.

First to begin with. Utilizing University players who have not played competitive football since Oct-Nov is a risk. Not enough time to gain fitness and then get match fit. It is now 2012, University players cannot make the grade. Just L :thinking: :thinking: K at the finals?

What is the role of the clubs in all of this? Technical, Physical weaknesses etc. They must be held accountable!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »
I have to agree with Flex on many issues. Simply looking at coaching and not properly reviewing all the factors involved, will always give an impression that only one element is/was missing.

First to begin with. Utilizing University players who have not played competitive football since Oct-Nov is a risk. Not enough time to gain fitness and then get match fit. It is now 2012, University players cannot make the grade. Just L :thinking: :thinking: K at the finals?

What is the role of the clubs in all of this? Technical, Physical weaknesses etc. They must be held accountable!

Canada....a team that in my opinion is not necessarily BETTER than T&T.....lost to mexico 3-1.  It could have been 6 but you RARELY see a DECENT team losing by such a margin....even if the opposition is much better than they are.

This Mexico team is special.  They have players at pretty much every position except goalie.  They're susceptible in the air and from dead ball situations, but otherwise....you not beating them on technical ability, speed, athleticism, or tactics.

The reason why Canada concedes "only" 3 goals and T&T conceded 7 is down to lack of organisation, maybe a goalie having an "off" night,  and to some extent...lack of heart.

THAT's IT.  And I'm sorry....lack of organisation comes down to coaching.  NOT the Pro league.  NOT the University.  NOT Jack Warner.  NOT Kamla.  COACHING.

Our national teams are SELDOM organized....especially at the back.   And if it's difficlut for EXPERIENCED, foreign coaches to get our players to play defensively in an organized manner (Beenie being the notable exception...but dey lambaste him for taking the "flair" out of our players for doing so), then our local coaches are beyond clueless as to how to implement it.

Until then...we will continue to colleck serious goal in we pweffen.  We keep banging our heads against the wall.  Maybe one day we will defy all the odds and the wall will soften.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>