April 26, 2024, 05:43:53 PM

Author Topic: Heat, Suns talking Shaq-Marion trade  (Read 9096 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Heat, Suns talking Shaq-Marion trade
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:53:58 PM »
Report: Heat, Suns talking Shaq-Marion tradeFOXSports.com
Updated: February 5, 2008, 7:06 PM EST 31 comments RSS digg blog email print With the Heat's season an utter disaster, a drastic move was certainly in order. Miami may be doing just that.

The Heat have told Shaquille O'Neal's representation that they are looking into trading him, the Miami Herald reported on its Web site Tuesday.

The report, citing two officials close to the situation, said the Phoenix Suns have discussed sending Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to the Heat in exchange for O'Neal.

One of O'Neal's representatives confirmed that O'Neal had been made aware of the discussions, the report said, but the deal was not definite.

Dallas has also been rumored as a possible destination, but the Heat did not inform O'Neal of that possibility, the report said.

O'Neal helped lead the Heat to the 2005-06 NBA title, but it has been all downhill since. After a first-round playoff exit last season, the Heat are off to a league-worst 9-37 record this year.

Marion, a four-time All-Star, is averaging 15.8 points and 9.9 rebounds for the Suns this season.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Heat, Suns talking Shaq-Marion trade
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »
good move for the heat, bad move for the suns unless the sight of Kobe will inspire Shaq to play superhero one more time.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
He dey in Phoenix right now doing his medical, ah following dat and de T&T game right now. It is a beautiful day in Florida  ;D. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
Dat miami dream team era unravel quick oui

Payton fire de wukk, shaq done, zo bun..and wade lose that explosive step

look how much man stock sink when dey lorse dat step from injury..larry johnson, webber, mc dyess,penny etc etc...is only grant hill somehow manage to hold on
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:38:55 PM »
Deal done....Shaq is a SUN....he come back to harrass my Lakers again but too bad he FINISH!
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 06:43:16 PM »
Deal done....Shaq is a SUN....he come back to harrass my Lakers again but too bad he FINISH!

:D...when shaq see Kobe regularly it go re-light he fires....he will ignore the pain of injury and divorce
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
ah want shaq to be ah thorn in kobe ass.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »
PHOENIX — The Phoenix Suns today acquired four-time NBA Champion Shaquille O’Neal from the Miami Heat in exchange for forward Shawn Marion and guard Marcus Banks, pending completion of physical examinations by both teams.

“We’re thrilled to add a player and person of Shaquille’s quality to our roster,” President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Steve Kerr said. “We believe this addition strengthens our team. We thank Shawn and Marcus for their contributions to our team. Shawn in particular has been a tremendous player for this organization the past eight-and-a-half years and his impact both on and off the court in Phoenix will not be forgotten.”

In the 7-1, 325-pound O’Neal, Phoenix acquires one of the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players and one of the most prolific scorers in league history. O’Neal owns a career scoring average of 25.6 points, the ninth-highest in league history, and ranks 11th all-time in scoring (25,908) in 1,013 career games. The 16-year veteran is a career 58.0 percent shooter, third-highest in NBA history, and has led the league in field goal accuracy nine times, matching Wilt Chamberlain’s all-time record. O’Neal has averaged 11.5 rebounds (21st-NBA history) and grabbed 11,630 (21st) boards as a member of the Orlando Magic (1992-97), Los Angeles Lakers (1997-2004) and Miami Heat (2005-2008). The three-time NBA All-Defensive Second Team honoree (2000, 2001, 2003) ranks 8th all-time in blocks (2,485).

O’Neal, 35, won three NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers (2000, 2001, 2002) and one with the Miami Heat (2006). A three-time NBA Finals MVP (2000, 2001, 2002), O’Neal owns career playoff averages of 25.5 points (10th), 12.1 rebounds and 2.19 blocks and is a career 56.6 percent (6th) shooter from the field in the postseason. Shaq has pulled down the third-most rebounds in NBA playoff history (2,401) and blocked the third-most shots (433).

The Louisiana State product, who won a gold medal as a member of the 1996 USA Men’s Senior National Team, was named the 1999-2000 NBA MVP after averaging 29.7 points and 13.6 rebounds for the NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers. O’Neal is a 13-time All-NBA First Team selection, a 14-time All-Star and the 1992-93 Rookie of the Year.

Originally selected with the first overall pick of the 1992 NBA Draft by the Orlando Magic, Shaq signed as a free agent with the Los Angeles Lakers on July 18, 1996, before being acquired by the Heat on July 14, 2004, in exchange for Caron Butler, Brian Grant, Lamar Odom and a future first-round pick.

Marion has played all nine of his professional seasons with the Suns after being selected by Phoenix with the ninth overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft. The UNLV product owns career averages of 18.4 points and 10.0 rebounds in 660 games (647 starts). The four-time All-Star is second in minutes played in franchise history (24,948), fourth in points (12,134), second in rebounds (6,616), second in steals (1,245) and third in blocked shots (894). Amaré Stoudemire, in his sixth season with Phoenix, is now the longest-tenured Sun.

Banks signed with the Suns on July 20, 2006 and in just over one season has averaged 5.0 points, 0.8 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 11.8 minutes in 69 games (two starts) for Phoenix.

The three-time defending Pacific Division Champion Phoenix Suns own the best record in the Western Conference (34-14) and tonight host the New Orleans Hornets (32-15, 1.5 games back) at 7 p.m. at US Airways Center. All the action can be seen on FSN Arizona and heard on Sports 620 KTAR.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
Surprise trades could pit Shaq against Kobe
by Michael Rosenberg
Detroit Free Press columnist Michael Rosenberg is a contributor to FOXSports.com. An archive of his Free Press columns can be found here.
Updated: February 7, 2008, 12:39 PM EST 6 comments RSS digg blog email print I have a dream. It is an awesome dream. It is also a totally inconsequential dream, in the big scheme of things. But anyway, here is my dream:

Western Conference finals.
Shaquille O'Neal on one side.

Kobe Bryant on the other.
At first, you might think, "Cool." And then you might think, "aw, hell, Shaq and Kobe, that will get hyped so much that the fun will get sucked right out of it, and besides, I got sick of Shaq and Kobe three years ago."

But think this through. Shaq vs. Kobe is one of the great Shakespearean sports dramas of this generation — maybe the greatest. They were two of the top five players in the world. They won three straight titles, then made the NBA Finals again, but they still couldn't stand to be around each other, so Shaq got traded.

It would be like if the Patriots had LaDainian Tomlinson all these years, then shipped him out because he didn't get along with Tom Brady.

Shaq-Kobe in this year's conference finals could be the grand conclusion. It would be the ultimate tiebreaker in their feud. If Kobe and the Lakers won, he could finally win his coveted Shaq-free title, convince the last skeptics he has become a team player and establish himself as one of the 10 best players ever. Plus, he would get the supreme satisfaction of knowing he ruined Shaq's last chance at a title.

But if Shaq and his new Phoenix Suns teammates won ... well, one could then make the argument that Shaq was the ultimate difference-maker in NBA history. He would have taken four franchises to the Finals. He would be four wins away from his fifth championship. And he would send a message that he, not Kobe, was most responsible for those three Lakers championships.

Just a week ago, the prospect of either man winning a championship this year seemed remote. But then the Lakers stole Pau Gasol from Memphis for a ridiculous package including Gasol's own brother, Marc. (A lot of people have asked: What was Memphis thinking? I'll tell you exactly what Memphis was thinking: "We're the Grizzlies, nobody's paying attention anyway, we'll just tell people it's the same Gasol and they won't know the difference.")

Then Miami shipped Shaq to Phoenix. It says a lot about Shaq's free fall that he was traded for a gifted but overpaid malcontent, and people think the team that got Shaq is stupid.

The critics could be right. Shaq is not remotely the same force that he was even two years ago — he needs a note from his doctor before he attempts to jump, his shots look horrible and he can't move laterally to avoid a fire. Now Shaq is joining the run-and-gun Suns. He is supposed to make his debut as soon as he is healthy, but I don't see how, since it will take him three months to catch up with the rest of his team.

But then again ... maybe Shaq still has one run left. It's not inconceivable.

Look at the NBA standings. Does anybody strike you as a dominant team? Dallas is still a major postseason question mark. New Orleans is a wonderful story, but totally untested in the playoffs. Utah is up and down. San Antonio is probably the Western Conference favorite, just on principle, but are the Spurs invincible?

In this league, the Bryant-Gasol-Andrew Bynum Lakers have as good a chance as anybody of winning the title. I'm not so sure about the Shaq Suns — this is a bizarre chemistry experiment, and nobody knows how it will turn out.

But if it somehow works, everybody better watch out. Including Shaq's old teammate and nemesis.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »
Crazy deal for the Suns IMO.

Watch Shaq for years at the Lakers and teams will run pick and roll like it going out of style.

Very simple, have Shaq guard a more mobile player, try to draw him away from the basket, kill him from the outside or use the space he vacates under the basket.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »
marion get screwed big time,from de best team in de west(record wise) to de worst team in de whole league.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »
Shaq unlikely to make debut WednesdayAssociated Press
Updated: February 12, 2008, 7:01 PM EST 68 comments RSS digg blog email print PHOENIX (AP) - Shaquille O'Neal doesn't want to slow the Phoenix Suns.

That's why he may make them wait a few more days before playing his eagerly awaited first game in purple and orange.

O'Neal, who is learning a new offense and working his way into shape after a hip injury, is unlikely to play when the Suns visit Golden State on Wednesday night. After returning from the Bay Area, the team will decide whether O'Neal will play against Dallas on Thursday night in Phoenix.

"I want to be a little more in tune before I step out on the court, because as you watch this team without me, they're like a great flowing machine," O'Neal said after practice Tuesday at US Airways Center. "I don't want to be the kink in the machinery."

If O'Neal doesn't play this week, his debut could come on Feb. 20 against his former team, the Los Angeles Lakers. Phoenix plays host to its Pacific Division rival in the first game after the All-Star break.

O'Neal, who has been out since Jan. 21 with a hip injury, went through his second Suns practice on Tuesday morning, participating in a full-court workout before the team left for California in the afternoon.

"I haven't done anything in a month and a half," O'Neal said. "I'm in great human shape. I'm in OK basketball shape. I've just got to get into basketball shape."

Coach Mike D'Antoni said the team would make a decision on O'Neal's availability for the game against the Warriors after an individual workout before the game, but it appears doubtful that O'Neal will play.

"He's not quite ready," D'Antoni said. "He wants to be comfortable with the offense. He knows it's going to be a big splash when he goes out the first time."

D'Antoni said it's "possible" O'Neal could play against the Mavericks on Thursday night.

O'Neal injured his hip diving for a loose ball against Utah on Dec. 22. He returned Jan. 16 but was sidelined again five days later. An MRI showed inflammation in the left hip, shutting him down from all basketball activity.

Diesel out of gas? Shaquille O'Neal's numbers have been on the decline since his days in Orlando. A look at the newest Sun's career stats, team-by-team:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years Team Games PPG RPG MPG
'92-'96 ORL 295 27.2 12.5 37.8
'96-'04 LAL 514 27.0 11.8 37.6
'04-'08 MIA 204 19.6 9.1 31.1
'08 PHX ? ? ? ?
Totals  1013 25.6 11.5 36.4
Phoenix is 2-1 since the trade last Wednesday that brought O'Neal from the Miami Heat for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks. The Suns have the conference's best record at 36-15, but a pack of pursuers isn't far behind.

The Suns say they aren't worried about playing short-handed until O'Neal is ready to join them.

"The big fella will play when he's ready to play," point guard Steve Nash said. "There's no rush. We've got a couple of months here to figure it out."

O'Neal's teammates are stressing patience. But they can't help looking ahead to life with one of the greatest centers in NBA history.

"I've never played with a post player before," Nash said. "So it's going to be interesting. But what a great player to play with. It's going to be a lot of fun to try to figure it out.

"There'll probably be some indecision and some uncertainty at times," Nash said. "But we've got a couple of months, so it'll all come together."

That process has already begun, if only in the privacy of the Suns' practice court. During Tuesday's full-court drill, Nash chased down a loose ball in the corner and flipped the ball toward the rim, knowing that O'Neal would be the only player who could reach it.

O'Neal said he's looking forward to playing with Nash, a two-time MVP who is adept at finding teammates for wide-open shots in the Suns' free-flowing attack.

"I've never had a point guard like him," O'Neal said. "As I was telling Steve, I haven't got an easy bucket in six years."

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
O'Neal set to make Suns debut WednesdayAssociated Press
Updated: February 19, 2008, 11:33 PM EST 91 comments RSS digg blog email print PHOENIX (AP) - Shaquille O'Neal says he is ready to run with the Phoenix Suns. Really.

"I'm going to be looking to get out like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens," he said Tuesday after going through his final workout before making his debut with the Suns on Wednesday night against his old team, the Los Angeles Lakers.
The prospect of the 7-foot-1, 325-pound O'Neal, at age 35, fitting in with the high-octane Suns has been ridiculed across much of the NBA.

The Lakers' Phil Jackson, O'Neal's former coach, said Shaq's role would be "taking the ball out of bounds and waiting for the other team to get back."

"He's a jokester, and that's funny, very funny," Shaq said without smiling. "Ha-ha. Very funny."

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni says people will be surprised about how well a motivated O'Neal can move, and playmaker Steve Nash was elated with the trade that brought O'Neal from Miami for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks.

"We're going to have to adjust slightly to his strengths," Nash said, "but you know where he's strong we've been weak, and that's having a big presence in the paint, taking up space and guarding the rim."

O'Neal says he has no desire to be a star with his new team. Those roles belong to Nash and Amare Stoudemire, he said.

"I'm more like a senior adviser so I don't like to come in here and try to take over," O'Neal said. ... "Just like your basic karate movie where the young guys come to the old guys with beards who have them do weird stuff to get to the other side. That's who I am, the old guy with a long beard."

Long pause.

"You like that analogy?" he said, obviously pleased with himself. "That was pretty good?"

Nash was a willing sidekick.

"I think this is his 73rd Asian martial arts film," he said. "We're excited to learn from the great master."

Shaq's charisma and humor have energized the Suns franchise since last week's trade, with the anticipation building toward Wednesday night's showdown with Jackson, Kobe Bryant, newcomer Pau Gasol and the rest of the Lakers. O'Neal insisted there is nothing special about the opponent being the Lakers, other than the fact that it's a tough Pacific Division foe.

"We had more great times than bad times together, but they've moved on, I've moved on," O'Neal said. "I have a new team now and I have a new focus."

Still, Jackson's comments have not been brushed aside.

"I don't take anything personal," O'Neal said. "I just have a certain file in my head, so Earthlings must be careful with what they say."

O'Neal is part of a recent migration of talent to the already-tough Western Conference, with Gasol going to the Lakers from Memphis and, in a trade finalized on Tuesday, Jason Kidd to the Dallas Mavericks from New Jersey.

There will be no time for O'Neal to ease into his new role. After the Lakers, the Suns are home to Boston on Friday night and Detroit on Sunday.

"We don't have three cupcakes to start, but that's all right," Nash said. "We're going to learn a lot about ourselves and where we're going, and maybe that will give us a steeper learning curve to play against terrific teams."

O'Neal has played in four games since injuring his left hip while diving for a loose ball Dec. 22 against Utah. He returned Jan. 16, but was sidelined again after a Jan. 24 game against Cleveland.

He said his hip feels good but will play only about 20 minutes against the Lakers, D'Antoni said. O'Neal will be in the starting lineup.

"We know that's our team," D'Antoni said. "Let's get there as quickly as we can. Also, it's a 48-minute game, to spread 20 minutes out of 48 you don't want him to warm up and then sit down and get cold."

O'Neal said he hasn't played with a passer as good as Nash since his days with Bryant and, before that in Orlando, Scott Skiles.

"I can remember playing with Scott Skiles if you were open an inch, that would be there and it would be there perfect every time," O'Neal said. "When you've got a guy that's going to look for you, you run. A lot of people think I can't run, but my thing was I wasn't going to be running if you're not going to throw it. I know Nash will throw it."

O'Neal said he's learned a lot watching the Suns play from the bench, enough to make him believe that this team can win an NBA title, something the franchise hasn't achieved in its 40-year history.

"Their unselfishness, the way they play and their poise factor," he said. "When you never panic, that's a great sign."

He said he needs that fifth title, and maybe a sixth, to cement the legacy he covets.
"Every time that I've won a championship I've looked at my guys around me and looked at their work ethic and said 'You know what, I'm going to win it this year,"' O'Neal said. "I feel that way now."

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:35:39 PM »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »
Watch Shaq for years at the Lakers and teams will run pick and roll like it going out of style.

Saw this from an analysis of last night's game

Well, let's dilute a bit of this enthusiasm by reminding everyone that L.A.'s 130 points were not exactly the product of a blistering pace. With O'Neal contributing as a minor liability in pick-and-roll situations, the Suns' hospitable defense permitted the Lakers to snipe at a 57-percent success rate.

that being said Shaq looked much better than recently at Miami.

He committed to getting in shape and this could work out for Phoenix. The West Playoffs will be something else this year.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 08:58:29 AM »
after watchin de game last nite de man play with real intensity,he and nash hook up ah couple times with de lob and dunk.suns will be ah team to b reckon with.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
after watchin de game last nite de man play with real intensity,he and nash hook up ah couple times with de lob and dunk.suns will be ah team to b reckon with.

Dat is alright, de man came and left us wid ah championship  ;). So he cud run from Arizona tuh Sando  ;D, get fit and help Suns win ah title, me eh business. He is ah very good bredda, so best of luck tuh him  :beermug:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »
Like ah said before people, Supa following de coolege ball 2 and ah start doing meh scouting already. If all yuh think Supa is ah joker, well read de sports section in de USA Today fuh yesterday (Monday). Look at de date on meh post when ah selected Beasley (spelt his name wrong in dat post) and Rose as meh front runners tuh help de heat. Well dey large up Beasely so much yesterday, dat it look like dey think he will be another Kobe, James or Wade. Ah have 2 more names tuh buss, dat ah think will be in de first five in de draft and might be under de radar fuh Riley also. Watch de ride, de Heat will rise again  ;). HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:10:43 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »
Like ah said before people, Supa following de coolege ball 2 and ah start doing meh scouting already. If all yuh think Supa is ah joker, well read de sports section in de USA today fuh yesterday (Monday). Look at de date on meh post when ah selected Beasley (spelt his name wrong in dat post) and Rose as meh front runners tuh help de heat. Well dey large up Beasely so much yesterday, dat it look like dey think he will be another Kobe, James or Wade. Ah have 2 more names tuh buss, dat ah think will be in de first five in de draft and might be under de radar fuh Riley also. Watch de ride, de Heat will rise again  ;). HIGHLY BLESSED.
once flash could get ah supportin cast,i eh doubt it.ah plus will be havin riley too.i always say he is one ah de best coaches of all time.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 12:54:47 PM »
Report: Yao done for the season
by FOXSports.com
Updated: February 26, 2008, 1:40 PM EST 9 comments
RSS digg blog email print
The Houston Rockets just can't catch a break.

Winners of 12 straight and just three games behind the West-leading Lakers, Houston will have to play the rest of its season without All-Star center Yao Ming, who has a stress fracture in his left foot, the Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site.

Yao will miss both the regular season and the postseason, should the Rockets make it that far, the report said.

The team will announce the diagnosis later Tuesday, the newspaper reported.

After missing just two games in his first three years in the league, Yao has been injury prone of late, playing in 57 games in the 2005-06 season, and 48 games last year. In 55 games this season, Yao was averaging 22 points and just under 11 rebounds per game.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 08:16:11 AM »
BOSTON (AP) - LeBron James hit a milestone. The Boston Celtics hit their shots.

James returned from a first-half ankle injury to score 26 and become the youngest player in NBA history to reach the 10,000 points, but Boston got 22 points from Ray Allen to beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 92-87 on Wednesday night.

"When you have an off-shooting night like this, it's tough to pull a game out," said James, whose 7-for-24 shooting sank the Cavs to 38 percent from the floor. "Especially against the best team in the league."

Kevin Garnett scored 18 points with 11 rebounds to help Boston win its third straight and improve to 2-2 for the season against the defending Eastern Conference champions. The Cavaliers were playing their third game with four new players, including Ben Wallace, acquired in an 11-player, three-team deal at the trading deadline.

"They're so new, we really didn't see them," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "They're going to be so much better because of that trade."

Cavaliers coach Mike Brown was ejected with 42 seconds left in the third quarter after he had to be restrained by his assistants while arguing a foul call against James. His star took a shorter break: He sprained his ankle and missed the last 4:24 of the first half, but X-rays were negative and he was back for the start of the second.

"I know my ankle, and tomorrow it's going to be a lot worse," James said, expressing the hope he would be ready for Friday's game against Minnesota.

"I've had my share of ankle injuries. The first thing I thought was, 'Not again. Not another one to go down for our team.' We have been hit with the injury bug, the cold bug, guys have been walking around here sick and injured. I didn't want to go down."

James reached the 10,000-point milestone at 23 years and 59 days, more than a year younger than Kobe Bryant was when he hit the milestone in 2003 (24 years, 193 days). It took James 368 games to do it - the ninth-fastest in league history.

"It doesn't make me happy to do it in a losing effort," James said. "To be in the record books is a tribute to my teammates, myself and my family."

James hit the mark on a dunk that made it 63-54 with 4:54 left in the third quarter. But Boston, which shot 52 percent, quickly extended its lead back to double-digits; after hitting the first two baskets of the fourth quarter to make it 75-66, the Cavs never got closer than 10 points until the final minute.

Delonte West's meaningless 3-pointer for Cleveland at the buzzer counted because of goaltending, making it appear closer than it was.

"We had our hands full (with James), but I thought we did a pretty good job," Allen said. "I think we gutted it out."

James was hurt after driving for a layup when he came down on Paul Pierce's foot. He hobbled off toward the Cavaliers bench and then dropped onto the court in front of the scorer's table with 4:24 left in the first half.

When the whistle blew, Brown and the training staff rushed over to attend to James, while the crowd hushed and the players on both benches looked over to see what was happening. After being looked at on the floor for a few minutes, he limped off to the locker room, favoring his right leg, getting a cheer from the Boston fans.

Boston led 25-16 after one quarter, with 12-5 rebounding edge, then took a 33-18 lead early in the second.

Notes: Celtics guard Tony Allen sat out with a strained right calf. ... Garnett missed the matchup with James on Feb. 5, and James missed the game against Boston on Dec. 2. When both played on Nov. 27, the Cavaliers beat the Celtics in Cleveland 109-104 in overtime. ... The Cavs fell to 15-16 on the road this season, with three wins in their last seven games. ... Rajon Rondo had eight points and eight assists for Boston, which won its sixth straight home game.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 08:17:28 AM »
instead ah opening ah whole new thread i just posting stuff that need mentioning.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »
instead ah opening ah whole new thread i just posting stuff that need mentioning.

handle yuh stories breds...I doh buy sports illustrated no more

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »

handle yuh stories breds...I doh buy sports illustrated no more
seein we have de babes thread who need sports illustrated.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »
Isiah tells Marbury to stay away from Knicksby Marc Berman, New York Post
Updated: February 29, 2008, 2:32 PM EST 189 comments RSS digg blog email print NEW YORK - Stephon Marbury has been instructed by Isiah Thomas not to attend Knicks home games — another indication of the continuing feud between the former pals, The New York Post has learned.

The Knicks still have not confirmed that Stephon Marbury will not return this season. (Chris McGrath / Getty Images)
According to a Marbury confidant, the embattled point guard is under a gag order by Knicks management, forbidding him from speaking to the media. Marbury has not commented since his Jan. 22 ankle surgery. "They've got a muzzle on him," the confidant said.

Marbury began rehab 11 days ago at the club's Westchester practice facility, and he has wanted to join the club on the home bench at the Garden since the All-Star break, according to the friend. Marbury is one of three captains, along with Jamal Crawford and Malik Rose.

Thomas disrespected Marbury on Wednesday night when he talked about next season's backcourt and did not mention Marbury. Thomas said the Knicks need to add a point guard to next season's club, saying Nate Robinson, Jamal Crawford and Fred Jones need help with ballhandling.

Thomas was given two chances to correct himself, but declined to add Marbury to next season's point-guard mix. Marbury still has one year left and $21 million on his pact — a valuable commodity for a team looking to get under the salary cap after the 2008-09 season.

Marbury has not attended a Knicks game since they faced the Nets at the Meadowlands Jan. 16 as he awaited word on his MRI. When surgery became more involved than anticipated — seven bone fragments were removed in a two-hour procedure — Marbury was not fit to attend games in the two weeks following the operation as he was on heavy pain medication.

But now, the friend said, he's ready to cheer on the club from the bench. The Post has reported Marbury is out for the season, though the Knicks won't acknowledge it.

That Marbury has been instructed not to travel with the club makes sense because it could interfere with rehab. But Marbury, the friend said, doesn't understand why he can't go to home games.

Insiders believe Thomas feels Marbury cost the Knicks the season by rebelling so strongly in November when the coach looked to remove Marbury from the starting lineup after five games. Marbury's bolting of Phoenix fractured the locker room. Thomas also resents Marbury for having surgery instead of trying to postpone it. "It was very bad timing for the team," the friend said, "but it had to be done."

Thomas said Wednesday if Marbury had the season he did in 2006-07, the Knicks "would've won five, six more games and we'd be right in the thick of things."i eh tink so.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
Report: Cassell likely to sign with Bostonby FOXSports.com
Updated: March 3, 2008, 4:08 PM EST 53 comments RSS digg blog email print The strong keep getting stronger in the Eastern Conference.

Sam Cassell, waived last week by the Clippers, plans to sign with the Boston Celtics once he clears waivers, his agent, David Falk, told the Boston Globe. The deadline for a team to claim Cassell is Monday at 6 p.m. ET.

"We've talked to all the teams that expressed an interest in Sam and nothing is going to change," Falk told the newspaper. "He's still going to sign with the Celtics. The only unknown is if some team claims him off waivers. But I consider that to be highly unlikely."

For a team to claim Cassell, it must have room under the salary cap to assume the remaining portion of his $6.15 million salary. It is unlikely that any of those teams would want Cassell.

Cassell would be the third household name to join Boston this year, along with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.

"I've told Danny that it was amazing how quickly those guys [Allen, Garnett, Paul Pierce] all jelled," Falk said, according to the newspaper. "I mean, this isn't fantasy basketball. And when you saw what needs they might have going forward, the only thing really left to do is to bring in a guy like Sam.

"If you look at this thing like a low-risk stock, Boston is a better fit. The West is much more difficult, while the East looks like a two-horse race."

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
Boss, ah thought dis was ah Heat and Suns thread, wey yuh bring NY Knicks and Cassell on dis thread for? Take that info tuh de Raptors thread nah, ah already frustrated wid de Heat, den yuh do dis tuh meh man, :devil:  ;D. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 02:00:48 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 02:13:27 PM »
Boss, ah thought dis was ah Heat and Suns thread, wey yuh bring NY Knicks and Cassell on dis thread for? Take that info tuh de Raptors thread nah, ah already frustrated wid de Heat, den yuh do dis tuh meh man, :devil:  ;D. HIGHLY BLESSED.
boy wuh ah could tell drink ah cold beer fuh de heat.lol.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »

well boss...de thread have to diversify...ah mean how much time he could type.."well the heat lorse las night again"  :devil:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »
Celtics Clinch Playoff Berth With Win Over PistonsBy JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer
Celtics 90, Pacers 78 (F)
 Kevin Garnett scored a season-high 31 to lead Boston to a bruising win over Detroit Wednesday to help the Celtics become the first team to clinch a playoff berth. Boston 90, Detroit 78
BOSTON, March 5 (AP) -- Kevin Garnett scored a season-high 31 points to lead Boston to a bruising 90-78 victory over Detroit on Wednesday night as the Celtics became the first team in the NBA to clinch a playoff berth and also earned the homecourt tie-breaker over their closest competitor.

Boston won its sixth consecutive game and took a four-game lead over Detroit in the Eastern Conference standings. Should the Pistons catch the Celtics in the standings and meet them in the playoffs, Boston would have the home-court advantage by virtue of a 2-1 edge in the season series.

Kendrick Perkins had a career-high 20 rebounds to go with his 10 points for the Celtics.

Chauncey Billups scored 23 points, making 14-of-15 foul shots in the game, and Rasheed Wallace also scored 23 for Detroit.

The Pistons never led, falling behind 17-3 off the opening tip and working their way back to a 69-69 tie on Tayshaun Prince's putback for the first basket of the fourth quarter. But Garnett scored the next five points and, after Detroit cut it to 78-77, the Celtics scored 12 of the last 13 points.

It was an anticlimactic ending to a hard-fought game, with three technical fouls handed out along with hard fouls that sent players to the floor. Ray Allen drew the first T with a clearing elbow to Richard Hamilton's sternum in the first quarter; in the third, Jason Maxiell clobbered Rajon Rondo to the parquet after a breakaway layup.

Tony Allen's layup gave Boston a 78-74 lead with 6:01 left in the game, but he was called for a technical foul - apparently for celebrating - that cut a point off the lead and Hamilton calmly sank a 23-footer from the top of the key to make it a one-point game.

But Paul Pierce, who scored 15, hit a 3 to make it 81-77. Rondo drew a charging foul on Billups, and the Pistons guard was called for a technical that gave the Celtics an 82-77 lead.

After a Pistons miss, Rondo got the loose ball and threw it upcourt, where Pierce grabbed it and put it in for an 85-77 lead.

It was over.

The Celtics took a 23-13 lead after the first quarter, shooting 59 percent to 26 percent for the Pistons. But Wallace scored 14 in second quarter - Garnett had 12 - and the Pistons scored eight straight points to make it 25-23.

Juan Dixon had a chance to give Detroit the lead, but he missed a 3-pointer. The Celtics scored 11 consecutive points - 10 in a row from Garnett - to make it 38-25.

The Pistons finally pulled even early in the fourth after Billups and Prince scored the last seven points of the third, then Prince tied it with 10:50 left in the game.

Notes: The Pistons won 87-85 in the first meeting this season. Boston won 92-85 in the second. ... Billups made all 11 of his free throws and scored 18 in the third quarter. ... Garnett needs 23 points to reach 20,000 in his career.

1]; } ?>