March 28, 2024, 10:54:16 AM

Author Topic: owen get d shaft  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
owen get d shaft
« on: August 30, 2005, 07:34:40 AM »
how could a goal scoring machine like owen not keep a regular place in real side?
before they got robinho, he was their second best striker. He and Ronaldo were a devastating strike tandem. Raul purgin dat side a long time and it is because of him that Owen had to leave. I sure there are a lot of Owen haters on dis site, and I am not his biggest fan, but I think he should have gotten quality time on that squad. Now he playin for Souness who is an @$$hole
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: owen get d shaft
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:35:52 AM »
Souness as in Newcastle, God help he
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 07:38:06 AM »
Well look how I have a new Fantasy league striker. He will score goals and link up well with Shearer.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 07:43:43 AM »
I am sad he went to newcastle. He will not play in Europe and will be fitting relegation this season. Poor owen i shed a tear for you :'(
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:56:44 AM »
owen better than 2 robinho and 2 baptista put together...full stop
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:11:47 AM »

now now!!. Lets not get carried away!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 08:17:43 AM »
madrid treat owen bad yes - and the man good yuh hadda give him that, if raul was not untouchable then owen woulda be starting with ronaldo - it only make sense

on the baptista and robinho note - i watch them play against cadiz and robinho was impressive but baptista was not, he has alot of power but doesent seem to have great ball control, time will tell yes cuz he score alot of goals over the last 2 seasons

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 08:24:19 AM »
Owen agrees four-year deal with Newcastle

Newcastle today pulled off a sensational transfer coup when they finally managed to persuade England striker Michael Owen to keep his World Cup dreams alive on Tyneside.

In a move which dashed the hopes of former club Liverpool of securing the 25-year-old's return, the Magpies completed their club record swoop - believed to be in the region of £17million - for the Real Madrid star to hand manager Graeme Souness a massive boost.

Owen will undergo a medical on Tyneside this afternoon before sealing his switch to St James' Park in a move which represents a coup for Newcastle on a par with their capture of skipper Alan Shearer back in July 1996.

'Bringing Michael to St James' Park will rank alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment at Newcastle United,' chairman Freddy Shepherd told the club's official website.

'Newcastle fans love centre-forwards and Michael is a fantastic goalscorer. He's someone we would love to build the team around and we hope he can help us bring success to the club.'

Owen's decision comes less than 24 hours after he travelled to the north-east to meet Souness, chairman Freddy Shepherd and former international team-mate Shearer to discuss his future following talks with the Anfield club.

It represents a major change of heart from the player, who has always insisted a return to Merseyside was his preferred option despite indicating he would be prepared to join the Magpies on loan for a season.

But Real's need to raise cash to help fund their bid for Sevilla defender Sergio Ramos and Newcastle's insistence on a permanent deal meant that was not an option.

Reports today suggested Owen was returning to Liverpool for further talks amid speculation his former club had finally made a formal approach, although with the Reds unwilling to spend significantly more than the £8million for which they sold him to the Spanish aristocrats last summer, Newcastle had gained the upper hand.

There have even been hints the striker could bide his time at the Bernabeu Stadium until the January window with the latest transfer deadline looming tomorrow night.

Owen's future has been the subject of intense speculation for months, and that grew on Sunday when he did not even make the bench for his side's opening La Liga fixture in Cadiz.

Newcastle's latest coup is reminiscent of their £15million capture of Shearer back in July 1996, and a similar return on their investment this time around would be welcome with Souness' side having collected just one point from their first four Barclays Premiership games this season without scoring a single goal.

For Owen too, the move will give him regular first-team football as the World Cup finals approach, and that will be of immense comfort to England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 08:30:10 AM »

owen good but not that good
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 08:35:17 AM »
how could a goal scoring machine like owen not keep a regular place in real side?
before they got robinho, he was their second best striker. He and Ronaldo were a devastating strike tandem. Raul purgin dat side a long time and it is because of him that Owen had to leave. I sure there are a lot of Owen haters on dis site, and I am not his biggest fan, but I think he should have gotten quality time on that squad. Now he playin for Souness who is an @$$hole

I am not a big Owen fan but I was happy he did well at Real Madrid, even as a non fan I have to admit the man is a quality striker. I don't know which player in their right mind will want to play for Souness. It is true that Raul is wasting time and Owen should have been starting more regularly instead of Raul. I can't understand why they say he seems to be untouchable maybe he's the president of the club nephew or God-son.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 08:37:14 AM by Jayerson »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 12:24:33 PM »
Owen proved he was a world class finisher at Madrid. Not a huge fan but I was happy for him to prove himself against the odds. He deserved better but life and football ain't fair. In the eyes of Spaniards..Raul is the cultural symbol of Spanish football. An icon for both madrid and the national team. Raul is to Madrid what Owen was to Liverpool. No matter what Owen did at Liverpool, he was never going to get dropped. Basically Owen couldn't take the place of the Spanish version of himself....in Spain no less!

Batista was never going to be a forward in Madrid. He played there at Sevilla, but watch him when he plays for the senior Brazilian National team....strictly defensive midfield folks. Didn't anyone watch Gold Cup 2003 when Brazil Under 23s with Kaka, Motta, Diego, Robinho and Julio Baptista lost 0-1 to Mexico in the final. Watch Brazil WC qualifiers, he and Renato are the subs in defensive midfield. Only after he moved to Sevilla they decided to use his power and strength to score goals. He is playing a more attacking midfield for Madrid but still closer to his midfield roots and his arrival didn't push Owen out...the press still eh figure that out. Robinho on the other hand...well you could definitely argue that was the final nail in the coffin....

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 02:10:37 PM »
fellas like we miss the chips on this one. It look like National Team duty helped to confirm it for Owen. Like Sven tell him he go get dropped if he aint playing every week and in England at that. So NewCastle was probably the Team that will give him the most money & playing time which will suit Owen, Sven and Souness. For de fans maybe a loss but for Owen WorldCup dreams seemingly definetly a Plus.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »
i think if he was playing consistently at Real and scoring, no way sven droppin him. look d captain o fd squad playin away in spain. plus england not that deep in strikers to drop him
that was an empty threat by sven. plus for all d hype up sven gets, eng have accomplished nothing during his tenure.

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 02:51:57 PM »
owen's arrival will put further pressure on souness to deliver and when he does not he will be fired and shearer will take over the club - have a look at how pearcy is running man city dese days. nobody really likes souey anyway.

true raul is a cult icon for madrid. the club talisman. the fans believe that he sacrificed a lot for the club and in their eyes there is no madrid without raul. they boo madrid but never raul. not even ten owens will take raul's place.

owen being pushed out is not a good football decision but it is a good marketing and club decision for madrid and their fans.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 03:08:55 PM »
Owen did not have to return to England. I read a soccernet article last week where Sven explicitly said if Owen even played as much for Madrid as he did last year (primarily coming off the bench), he would still be a starter for England. He is happy the man sorted out his future at Newcastle because in a WC year he looked like he wasn't going to play much for Madrid. But he certainly didn't have to return to England. If you could show where Sven said that I'd really like to read it. I will very humbly eat my words. It is just very strange for the coach to say that, especially when he picking Beckham and Hargreaves and even say the door open to Woodgate if he  could get playing time. Remember, Owen didn't even make the substitute list for Madrid's first game this season. He had to watch the game in the stands. And when they play Robinho who only train with the team one day, de man say dat is it...I out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 03:12:51 PM »
GOD does really move in mysterious ways yes.

He give a man de ability to recoginise & acclaim footballing genius in de form of Russel Latapy

Den de same man tun rong and say Michael Owen better dan 2 Robino and Julio Baptista put together.

HE put sense and nonsense in de same individual.... ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 05:38:55 PM »
Sven didnt say so breds, but by the htreat of Owen's WC spot he is sure insinuating it.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 08:12:21 PM »
Unfortunately Souness tenureship got extended by another month...i can't believe how he dismemembered that side so much..they cant even attack properly  >:(
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 08:40:11 PM »
this also seems a way real madrid makes money..buy good players on the cheap or free then sell them fora  big profit..i know is business but they real nasty and greedy.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 05:36:45 AM »
PALOS LEH WE BET NAH.... canadian money only.....owen still only what ?? 25..26...world cup veteran....explode in france...ask argentina....european player of the year....youngest england captain....proven goal scorer in england ,spain ...14 goals as a sub.....and 4th higest ever scorer for england....owen never went down the pecking order for real.madrid...the press said that......when robinho and that tall goat baptista do likewise i will give yuh yuh money palos....the ting is plenty of allyuh on this site have short memories....thats why we always begging for this one and that one to get pick for tnt....look noray score...pick him ..drop stern....look josh johnson score...pick him...drop stern....real flavor of the month kinda ting....like frigging baptista....thank god some of us here will never coach a national team... and i cool with being smart and stupid...it keeps me alive and honest...... any how i know you and me only want the best for tnt...so gobd bless tnt.....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 07:24:39 AM »
Sven didnt say so breds, but by the htreat of Owen's WC spot he is sure insinuating it.

Yeah...Owen have to play to keep his England spot...no doubt. But you said he had to play in England and Sven never insinuated that. All I saying is show any proof that he said that and I cool with that. But no way Sven would have dropped Owen if he wsa starting for Madrid or any decent European side outside of England. Like I said, beckham and Hargreaves do have no worries...

And honestly, why are men comparing Owen to Baptista? Baptista fighting for a place with men like Guti. He played up top for Sevilla, but he never played there before coming to Spain. He played a defensive midfielder for the Brazil Under 23s (see Gold Cup 2003), is a defensive midfield substitute (along with Renato) for the Brazilian senior side (see Confed Cup and WC qualifiers) and is an attacking midfielder for Madrid (the Spanish seem to like his determination and strength to bulldoze defenders into submission). His arrival did not displace Owen. Does anyone agree or am I the only one who saw Madrid vs MLS All Stars, or Madrid vs. Cadiz and saw that baptista is not playing as a  striker for this club?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 07:35:05 AM »
PALOS LEH WE BET NAH.... canadian money only.....owen still only what ?? 25..26...world cup veteran....explode in france...ask argentina....european player of the year....youngest england captain....proven goal scorer in england ,spain ...14 goals as a sub.....and 4th higest ever scorer for england....owen never went down the pecking order for real.madrid...the press said that......when robinho and that tall goat baptista do likewise i will give yuh yuh money palos....the ting is plenty of allyuh on this site have short memories....thats why we always begging for this one and that one to get pick for tnt....look noray score...pick him ..drop stern....look josh johnson score...pick him...drop stern....real flavor of the month kinda ting....like frigging baptista....thank god some of us here will never coach a national team... and i cool with being smart and stupid...it keeps me alive and honest...... any how i know you and me only want the best for tnt...so gobd bless tnt.....

You can't make a direct comparison between Owen and Baptista- two totally different players. Batista was holding middie for Brazil's U-23 team, then transformed into a striker for sevilla and top scored for the team with 18 goals. Batista himself is only 23.....Great potential, and very versatile...When you call him a tall goat, and then talk about short term memories, you first need to ask yourself how many times you've seen him play, and then ask yourself how exactly do you qualify him as a goat, then ask yourself how long term is your memory of Batista beyond the last game or two you've seen him play........Then reconsider jumping on a hater bandwagon and talking garbage in haste.

Owen is a great player, who's built up a good track record, especially for his age...and yes he in some way got shafted by Madrid.....but attacks made on the quality of Batista, and Robinho in order to argue in favor of Owen are pretty juvenile.....and are quite frankly missing the boat
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 07:36:45 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 07:51:25 AM »
Some hardcore Brazilians on this site.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 08:05:23 AM »
owen didnt get his chance, they treat him like shit. but owen, you have to have higher  standards. how u can go play for asshole souness and newcastle?theyre going down this yr. you didnt play much for real but u is still world class. how u going to go play for dickhead souness??
Hart for president

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 08:25:06 AM »

Breds...first of all....is a heckle ah pelt yuh way wit de sense and nonsense lyrics.  In no way was it meant to offend.

Dat said..............

WIT ALL DUE RESPECK...your statement that Owen better than 2 ROBINHO and Julio Baptista PUT TOGETHER is ASININE.  I suspect you was exaggeratin to make a point because as much of an admirer you are of Michael Owen, I eh really think you and all believe dat.

I have plenty respeck for Michael Owen.  He is a proven goalscorer.  Reminds me of Ian Rush in his prime.  But the way people talk about him, especially the British press who are masters of the hype I don't see him as one of the top 5 strikers in the world.

Ronaldo
Schevchenko
Adriano
Henry
Van Nistelroy
Rooney
Eto'o

Are ALL better strikers at the moment.....and that's just some.  I put Owen in the Trezeguet class of strikers but dat is jes me.

Yes...he kinda get shaft in Madrid because dey choose Raul over Owen when Raul was out of form but player for player....Raul is the better footballer for me....at least uo until a year ago when Raul start pullin stones.  No way Owen startin before Ronaldo so leh we doh get into dat one.

Owen may well score more goals dan Julio Baptista and Robinho but he should because those types provide the openings for a Michael Owen.

So once again...no disrespect meant whatsoever.  Jes a lil picong.  Dididn't mean fuh yuh to tek it pussonal.  I'll know better nex time.

Respeck.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 09:59:42 AM »
RESPECT PALOS....peace...anything else we could bet on???...i need some canadian money...lol...hope you feel good sat evening all the way up there bro....we down here will do our best to keep the vibe going...god bless  tnt tnt tnt

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »
4 my part im ah Barcelona fan to heart so d less fire power Madrid has is d better.The ting is d transition that English players have to make to settle in d Spanish league was too much 4 Owen,so he neva really settled in ah team where d World's best striker is playin and scoring goals.Owen should have stayed in Liverpool they always loved him,now when u Real Madrid has to make and option of choosin between there darling Raul' and Owen who u feel dey go pick
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 04:29:28 PM »
The ting is d transition that English players have to make to settle in d Spanish league was too much 4 Owen,so he neva really settled in ah team where d World's best striker is playin and scoring goals.

Too much for Owen?  But didn't he score goals?  Was there something else he was supposed to be doing?

Owen did his part.  Real just dotish.  Treat de man real bad.  I hope he get a chance to buss dey net sometime soon.

1]; } ?>