April 18, 2024, 02:28:35 AM

Author Topic: Forever Remembered- R.I.P Munich Victims  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Forever Remembered- R.I.P Munich Victims
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:31:38 AM »
February 6 will forever be circled on the calendars of everyone connected with Manchester United.

On that day in 1958, the darkest day in United's history, 23 people - including eight players and three members of the club's staff - suffered fatal injuries in the Munich air crash.

Flying back from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade, the team plane stopped in Germany to refuel. The first two attempts to take off from Munich airport were aborted; following a third attempt, the plane crashed.

Twenty-two of the people on board died instantly, while Duncan Edwards - one of the eight victims from the team - died 15 days later as a result of the injuries he sustained.

The tragedy is an indelible part of United's history, as is Sir Matt Busby overcoming his injuries to build another great team which won the European Cup 10 years later.

Roger Byrne (28), Eddie Colman (21), Mark Jones (24), David Pegg (22), Tommy Taylor (26), Geoff Bent (25), Liam Whelan (22) and Duncan Edwards (21) all died, along with club secretary Walter Crickmer, trainer Tom Curry and coach Bert Whalley.

Eight journalists died - Alf Clarke, Tom Jackson, Don Davies, George Fellows, Archie Ledbrook, Eric Thompson, Henry Rose, and Frank Swift who was a former Manchester City player. Plane captain Ken Rayment perished, as did Sir Matt's friend Willie Sanitof. Travel agent Bela Miklos and passenger Tom Cable also died.

We will never forget.

http://www.manutd.com/

Today on MUTV online is free coverage of a day of tribute towards the flowers...

R.I.P ...Forever Remembered

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Forever Remembered- R.I.P Munich Victims
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
Neva new about that incident
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:12:30 PM »
Neva new about that incident

Always remembered every year, but this is 50th anniversary.  Unfortunately, Man Utd are playing Man City on saturday and there are big worries-particularly from respectable Man City fans. They expect City fans to disrespect the minutes silence. City-Utd rivalry is intense and bitter and if City don't respect the minutes silence, there will be trouble.  City fans should behave, as one of the City legends, keeper Frank Swift died in the accident (he was covering the Utd match as a journalist)

Tonite at Wembley there was a minutes silence and out of 86,000 supporters, only one or two shouted out and were soon quietened. It was nice to see the Swiss fans respect the memory of the dead.

Theres an interesting fact surrounding the crash. A stewardess who survived the crash was actually pregnant at the time and eventually gave birth to a girl who supposedly was goalkeeper John Lucics mother. Don't know if its true, but its a classic football quiz question. Mathmatically, it doesn't add up, as Lucic must be around 40 by now!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:23:13 PM by kentsoulman »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
Theres an interesting fact surrounding the crash. A stewardess who survived the crash was actually pregnant at the time and eventually gave birth to a girl who supposedly was goalkeeper John Lucics mother. Don't know if its true, but its a classic football quiz question. Mathmatically, it doesn't add up, as Lucic must be around 40 by now!

It is not true. Became a popular myth because the lady had a slavic name Lukic was on board. The myth is that she was his mother, not his grandmother but it is false.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>