March 28, 2024, 11:45:37 AM

Author Topic: England vs Switzerland Thread  (Read 4538 times)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England vs Switzerland Thread
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:35:20 AM »
England v Switzerland
Date: Wednesday, 6 February
Kick-off: 2000 GMT
Venue: Wembley Stadium
BBC Coverage: Live on BBC One, Radio 5 Live and the BBC Sport website
FSC @4pm TT Time and at 12am Re-broadcast

Michael Owen is expected to miss out on a place in England boss Fabio Capello's starting line-up for the Italian's first match in charge on Wednesday.

The striker is set for a place on the bench for the game against Switzerland.

Capello had Joe Cole operating behind Wayne Rooney up front in his final training session on Tuesday.

Matthew Upson joined Rio Ferdinand in central defence, with David Bentley and Ashley Young alongside Owen Hargreaves and Steven Gerrard in midfield.

David James was in goal while the two full-backs were Wes Brown and Ashley Cole.

Should that team start the friendly against the Swiss, that would mean nine changes to the side beaten by Croatia in Steve McClaren's last game at the helm.

Only Gerrard and Joe Cole would remain from the team that lost 3-2 at Wembley on 21 November.

Capello has vowed not to tell his players who is in the team until shortly before they leave their hotel for Wembley on Wednesday afternoon.

Whoever is chosen, Sir Trevor Brooking thinks places will remain up for grabs under the new coaching regime.

"There are going to be very, very few automatic choices," the Football Association's development director told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"If you play well, then you could force your way into Capello's starting XI. If you deliver for him, then he'll support you.

"He will really change it around. He wants to look at people. He just wants to develop this winning mentality."

Newcastle star Owen, who has scored 40 goals in 88 appearances for his country, has only just returned to first-team action after a succession of injuries.

Young, 22, would be making only his second appearance for the England senior team but he has enjoyed an impressive season with Aston Villa.

He would start in the left side of midfield, with 23-year-old Bentley on the right.

The Blackburn Rovers player, who has played twice for England, has long been tipped to fill a role that David Beckham had been hoping to occupy.

But new boss Capello decided the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder would have to wait until he was fully match fit before being given the chance to win his 100th cap.

James appears to have beaten off competition from Villa's Scott Carson and Wigan's Chris Kirkland to start in goal.

The 37-year-old, who has been in tremendous form for Portsmouth this season, will be earning his 36th cap.

In front of him, Upson would be making his first England appearance since coming on a substitute in the 1-0 defeat by Spain in Madrid on 17 November 2004.

And Manchester United's Wes Brown looks to have landed the right-back berth ahead of Micah Richards.

Expected team: David James (Portsmouth), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Ashley Cole (Chelsea); David Bentley (Blackburn), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Ashley Young (Aston Villa); Joe Cole (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7229823.stm

England v Switzerland preview
Capello's Italian Job begins at Wembley

Fabio Capello has been touted as the man to save English football and the rescue mission begins against Switzerland at Wembley on Wednesday.

With England in the doldrums following the failure to qualify for the finals of Euro 2008, the Football Association have opted to implement their very own Italian Job.

And the astute Capello - who has been quick to point out he is no footballing 'Messiah' - will be well aware that his new dawn hangs in the balance in a not totally dissimilar manner to a teetering scene from the Alpine cliff tops high above Turin.

The footballing critics will be quick to pounce upon any misjudgement of balance from Capello and the former Milan, Roma, Juventus and Real Madrid boss will be eager to inform his lads of a 'great idea' to tip the equilibrium in his favour.

Owen out

Known to be a tough taskmaster and recognised for a refusal to acknowledge sentiment, as David Beckham will testify, Capello is unlikely to pull any punches in his team selection.

Michael Owen is expected to be the most high-profile of Capello cuts as the Newcastle striker pays the price for an injury-stricken season and finds himself warming a seat on the substitutes' bench.

That is likely to leave Wayne Rooney as Capello's point man in attack with Joe Cole floating just behind as England attempt to pick the lock of the Swiss defence.

Steven Gerrard has been named as Capello's captain and the Liverpool skipper is predicted to be given a licence to roam as he is accompanied by the holding Owen Hargreaves in the centre of midfield.

Bentley start

It is understood Aston Villa's Ashley Young will be rewarded for his fine form this season with a second international cap as he slots in to the left wing, while David Bentley - often a target for the England boo-boys - will get the nod on the right.

Manchester United's Wes Brown is ready to drop in behind Bentley on the right of defence with club colleague Rio Ferdinand partnered by West Ham's Matthew Upson in the heart of the back four.

Chelsea's Ashley Cole will be trusted with the left-back slot, while Capello opts for experience in goal as 37-year-old Portsmouth shot-stopper David James is preferred to Scott Carson and Chris Kirkland.

However, Switzerland cannot be dismissed and they will be desperate to sabotage Capello's scheme.

Kobi Kuhn favours a counter-attacking style, but the Switzerland coach is without regular strike pair Alex Frei and Marco Streller through injury which is likely to mean teenage forward Eren Derdiyok plays some part.
http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_2927259,00.html

I would have gone with Richards instead of Brown at RB...   Good side nonetheless
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:47:13 AM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England vs Switzerland Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »
why gerrard wearing #10?
yeah he good he does fight hard in d middle he have a wcked bullet buh armmmmmm no, he doesnt have the magic of a number 10 stevie please desist from this want2be behaviour right now ...............shucks man

game so far is ah cat fight nil all after 20 mns

Michael Owen has been left out of Fabio Capello's first England line-up. The Italian has elected to play Wayne Rooney as a lone striker with Joe Cole just behind. Jermaine Jenas, Steven Gerrard and Gareth Barry start in midfield while David Bentley is on the right wing. David James is in goal and Matthew Upson pairs Rio Ferdinand in central defence with Ashley Cole and Wes Brown as full backs.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
What you expect is England playing, anyone can wear number 10 on dat side if they make it.  ;D

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »
Jenas Score for England 1 : 0

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
Making note that a black player scored England's first goal in the new regime   ;D

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
joe  #10 cole ::) nice skill 2 puut d defender on he bamcee
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »
Goalllll in england tail  :rotfl:

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »
Swiss Equalizer in the 58'....1 : 1

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:21:11 PM »
Goal England!

SWP off a nice flick from Gerrard 2:1 England in the 62'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:24:26 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »
SWP made it 2:1 for Eng

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:22:05 PM »
SWP made it 2:1 for Eng

Big Up!

Yeah Gary Coleman score  ;D

2 goals by 2 black men... was about time England stop that favoritism thing... Good bye Owen....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:53:43 PM by forever trini »

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
What favouritism ting?

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 04:33:19 PM »
lol I doh feel england have no favoritism thing going except certain coaches have players they like is not like back in the time of barnes I mean for crying out loud cole , ferdinand, brown, james all black men cmon boys lets think before we talk nah ...all england concerned about is winning and they doh care who out there to do it.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
What favouritism ting?

Always playing dey flecking misfiring forwards... ;D Like Owen, they pretty boy Beckham.... and the disaster that is Paul Robinson...

Having they media influence the team's selection... understood!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:54:56 PM »
lol I doh feel england have no favoritism thing going except certain coaches have players they like is not like back in the time of barnes I mean for crying out loud cole , ferdinand, brown, james all black men cmon boys lets think before we talk nah ...all england concerned about is winning and they doh care who out there to do it.

As you can tell I'm no england fan, and I do not support all those years of playing Owen and Rooney... That's all...

or may be you have not been around when only Des Walker or Paul Parker use to only make the team!

England's failures have been selecting their favourite media players.... not always the best players... or more consistent.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:59:17 PM by forever trini »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »
Making note that a black player scored England's first goal in the new regime   ;D

Steups...that's your scene?

By the way Jenas is as white as he is black so let's make a note that the race talk should done right there...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »

Steups...that's your scene?

By the way Jenas is as white as he is black so let's make a note that the race talk should done right there...

You need to leave NY and travel to the midlands then... ;D

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 06:50:16 PM »
Just back from Wembley. SWPs goal was very good. Excellent run and pass by Gerrard, good vision and run by SWP. Don't agree that Gerrard was man of the match though. To be fair, none of the England players stood out.

Its interesting to note all this talk about black players and favouritism. I don't hear any of my black/mixed/white friends in England saying this. In fact, I haven't heard talk like that in the UK for a long time.

I must admit, I've heard a few white muppets complaining about too many black guys, but the only complaints I hear from black guys is that there seems to be a negetive vibe about black coaches.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 06:54:14 PM »
Just back from Wembley. SWPs goal was very good. Excellent run and pass by Gerrard, good vision and run by SWP. Don't agree that Gerrard was man of the match though. To be fair, none of the England players stood out.

Its interesting to note all this talk about black players and favouritism. I don't hear any of my black/mixed/white friends in England saying this. In fact, I haven't heard talk like that in the UK for a long time.

I must admit, I've heard a few white muppets complaining about too many black guys, but the only complaints I hear from black guys is that there seems to be a negetive vibe about black coaches.

As an England fan dating back to the days of Barnes, Robson and Lineker...it's an old criticism of English managers that they are hesitant to play black players.  I personally think this may have indeed been the case 20 yrs ago, but not so sure now as others have pointed out that this criticism is valid today, given the number of prominent black players getting regular run in the National Team.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
funny eh buh all i saw was 2 men scoring didnt really see colour
the only colour  i saw was england kit, n too like it but i would still like to own 1

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
I was in DC for the Game at Lucky Shoe Bar and heard them mentioning too many black players on the team. I guess they were Owen and Nugent fans but was glad to see the new faces of England... I'm not saying they are favoured but in the 80's and 90's far less selected... Its good to see more faces of that reflect the diaspora of Europe in their national teams... thats all. Was at Northumbria and heard some racist $hit when defoe was playing under their last Steve...

Its also welcoming as a football fan to see players being disciplined and not being selected from some media pressure. I was glad to see that Becks was given a rest and more of their younger players given a chance. This is the favouritsm that I was talking about..

Kicker btw Madrid does hang Confederate Flags in dey stadium, I know I was in there for a Barca game....

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »
Germany play today anyone see that... that was ah Game.... onward march...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
I happy Calamity get ah run....he might get more sweat now that Robbo's patron get canned.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
I recorded the game and came back after the TnT game and watched it..

i found England looked very good...   they played a 4-1-4-1 formation and Rooney and or Bentley were the best players by far

The second half was much better and only good things to come

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
i eh lieing nah....some ah allyuh sick yes...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 08:47:25 PM »
So easy to stir controversy on this forum... ;D

I jess dislike England that is all hahahahaha  ;D

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
I was in DC for the Game at Lucky Shoe Bar and heard them mentioning too many black players on the team. I guess they were Owen and Nugent fans but was glad to see the new faces of England... I'm not saying they are favoured but in the 80's and 90's far less selected... Its good to see more faces of that reflect the diaspora of Europe in their national teams... thats all. Was at Northumbria and heard some racist $hit when defoe was playing under their last Steve...

Its also welcoming as a football fan to see players being disciplined and not being selected from some media pressure. I was glad to see that Becks was given a rest and more of their younger players given a chance. This is the favouritsm that I was talking about..

Kicker btw Madrid does hang Confederate Flags in dey stadium, I know I was in there for a Barca game....

You are taking isolated reactions of "fans", who are probably idiots and using it to criticise several different administrations of the team.

Suffice it to say race has not been a factor in England team selections for more than 20 years. In fact I could remember England sides with as many or more black players starting than those who started tonight.

As for fresh selections, Capello hasn't selected anyone new to the set-up. the most he might have done is give Bentley a bigger role.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 01:40:08 AM »
England was not impressive...a tougher opponent than Switzerland would have humiliated them

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 04:09:50 AM »

Yow forget that talk nah dread, BC it go lead to ppl calling yuh a racist and ah hater! mind you , i think you're spot on! cause i watching english football since some ah dem men was in their mother's belly , in strollers , and in their father testicles , and i remember the only black faces you saw in the prem was garth crocks and another jamaican born player can't recall his name right now, but english football has came a long way. to me the first black player i've ever seen in an english shirt was john barnes, not sure if that's correct, but i stop watch english football in the mid 80ies , and started watching seria, so i don't know for sure if there were others before him . france is a perfect example of how bias english selection is when it come down to race. BTW jennas is black dude! one drop of black blood make's you black, doh matter how white yuh feel you are, or how white you may look.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:15:59 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 04:24:02 AM »

Yow forget that talk nah dread, BC it go lead to ppl calling yuh a racist and ah hater! mind you , i think you're spot on! cause i watching english football since some ah dem men was in their mother's belly , in strollers , and in their father testicles , and i remember the only black faces you saw in the prem was garth crocks and another jamaican born player can't recall his name right now, but english football has came a long way. to me the first black player i've ever seen in an english shirt was john barnes, not sure if that's correct, but i stop watch english football in the mid 80ies , and started watching seria, so i don't know for sure if there were others before him . france is a perfect example of how bias english selection is when it come down to race. BTW jennas is black dude! one drop of black blood make's you black, doh matter how white yuh feel you are, or how white you may look.

I think Viv Anderson was the first black player to be capped and was quickly followed by Fashanu and Regis, if I remember correctly. First black footballer I ever saw playing in England was Clyde Best of West Ham, and that was around 1972.  I wonder if there were earlier players who were mixed race, but so light skinned that no one noticed in those days. I remember people who may have been quarter black were referred to as having "a touch of the tan" which meant they had "foreign blood such as African, Asian etc".

Maybe there were some great mixed/black players but the British were too stupid to notice??

1]; } ?>