April 19, 2024, 09:11:19 AM

Poll

Bring back Otis Seaton?

Yes
14 (56%)
No
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Maturana targets World Cup midfielder.  (Read 11529 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maturana targets World Cup midfielder.
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

WHITLEY WANTED

New Trinidad and Tobago head coach Francisco Maturana is ready to offer maverick midfielder Aurtis Whitley a return to international football in an effort to strengthen his squad before the South Africa 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign kicks off this June.
Whitley, who represents Pro League outfit Vibe CT 105 W Connection, played in all three matches at the 2006 World Cup but made just one outing in four fixtures under suspended coach Wim Rijsbergen before a Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) blacklist ruled him out of contention.
Maturana, a two-time World Cup coach with his native Colombia, pored through scores of national games played over the last three years and, according to a T&TFF source, has decided that Whitley is too gifted to be ignored.
If Whitley accepts and impresses, it will increase competition for the playmaker's role that was shared between his Hungary-based World Cup teammate Densill Theobald and 32-year-old Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA star Marvin Oliver in Wednesday's goalless draw with Guadeloupe.
However, the Colombian is understood to be well aware of Whitley's penchant for sudden absences from duty and his supposedly relaxed view on training ground discipline.
"His call-up would come with certain commitments, dedication and passion even before the football (side of things)," said the anonymous source, who hinted that some other World Cup players are also being considered.
The 30-year-old Whitley was described as "the Brian Lara of Trinidad football" by CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh coach and ex-England international Terry Fenwick in the build-up to the showcase 2006 tournament. A thigh injury hampered the gifted midfielder's contribution in Germany although coach Leo Beenhakker still started him twice.
He has not been the same since, according to who you listen to. Fenwick discarded Whitley last season citing the player's lack of motivation and Jabloteh went on to win the Pro League title. The midfielder showed flashes of brilliance as he steered Connection to the FCB Cup but he missed several key games for injury and "personal reasons".
Theobald, who emerged as a mainstay in the national midfield since the World Cup, might have enough on his mind already after being pipped to the captain's armband just minutes before kick-off on Ash Wednesday.
Maturana told the Express, on the eve of the friendly encounter, that Theobald would keep the armband for now as he was wary of making drastic changes too early. But the message did not seem to get through to striker and record goal scorer, Stern John.
John was team captain in his last outing-a 2-1 win over Panama on October 11, 2006-although his promotion over Dennis Lawrence for that fixture was thought to be ceremonial as the poacher was making his 100th appearance for the country. Lawrence is now retired from international duty.
Perhaps John assumed that he would retain the armband but the technical staff was said to be surprised when the Southampton striker strode on to the Queen's Park Oval pitch with the accessory, which is normally set down on the dressing room table by the equipment manager.
Assistant national coach Anton Corneal would not be drawn on the apparent mix-up while he insisted that the striker's withdrawal at the interval was merely to allow Swansea striker Jason Scotland an extended run rather than a signal of discontent at John's performance.
"I really prefer not to say (how John ended up with the armband)," said Corneal, "but we are not going to make an issue about that when there are so many other more important things to work on if we want to qualify (for the 2010 World Cup).
"In the end, as Francisco (Maturana) explained, the captain will show himself through his play and his ability to lead."
Neither John nor Theobald could be reached for comment on the temporary transfer of captaincy. Almost certainly, the captaincy issue pales in significance to the return of a fit and motivated Whitley.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:24:08 AM by Flex »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WHITLEY WANTED
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:05 PM »
hmmmm....hardest next?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:14:59 PM »
Whittttleeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:13 PM »
like i have to bring back out my whitley world cup jersey. i rather he than shitty Dennis Theobald

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:53 PM »
like i have to bring back out my whitley world cup jersey. i rather he than shitty Dennis Theobald

Who he does play for, Crab Connection?  ::)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »

I think he playing for some foreign club now, i don't know who he bull to get that contract  :rotfl:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:52:34 PM »
dey bringing him back??? He learn how to cross and pass now...

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
 Like personally, I don't know how much Whitley can help (with all due respect). I think we better off grooming Keon or Mcknight or some other youth that want it bad.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:57:28 AM »
well dont we need someone to hold down defensive midfield? i think he can fill that position. i giving him a chance.

i have a good feeling about maturana coaching T&T.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:05:03 AM by Trini Madness »
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 01:14:55 AM »
If not whitley then Khaleem Highland IMHO is the player best suited for grooming into the defensive mid role. But without regular playing time outside T&T leagues he may not develop the competence we need by time 2010 rolls around. The faster Higland, Daniel and these fellas get quality playing time the better. The upcoming generation will exert tremendous pressure on Theobald, Whitley etc, once they get their chance. They are who we should be investing in. By 2010 I expect Leston Paul, Sean Da Silva and maybe a couple other youths will be challenging for spots, whether we make S. Africa or not. So Whitley and them serve us well in the past but if Maturana works best with more experienced players he might have his hands full with the "delinquents" :devil:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:17:50 AM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana targets World Cup midfielder.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 05:39:35 AM »
Bleeder has a big role to play in WCQ....dont write the man off.....yes he had a bad game....
might be something personal....also not match fit...i saw him in the Guyana game asking Anton " Gaffer, Gaffer....should i play 10 more mins???...Anton repiled ...15 min more....that was the start of the second half...
I not making excues for him...it might be something personal.....Bleeder is vital...
welcome back for Otis...hope he is up for it...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 05:57:08 AM »
Maturana, a two-time World Cup coach with his native Colombia, pored through scores of national games played over the last three years.

Wow imagine watching 3 years worth of that tata?  Whatever they paying this man...it not nearly enough

Also I was wondering how the other World Cup players would react to linking up again with Theobald, the only man who played last year when the blacklist was in effect.  I guess Stern's actions tell the story.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:14:07 AM by arrow »

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 06:10:35 AM »
Bleeder has a big role to play in WCQ....dont write the man off.....yes he had a bad game....
might be something personal....also not match fit...i saw him in the Guyana game asking Anton " Gaffer, Gaffer....should i play 10 more mins???...Anton repiled ...15 min more....that was the start of the second half...
I not making excues for him...it might be something personal.....Bleeder is vital...
welcome back for Otis...hope he is up for it...

ah know a deputy essential
but i sincerely doubt that bleeder is vital.
and if he is, its not cause of his skill but due to our lack of developed talent.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 06:21:57 AM »
MrMc...ok...is all opinions....but i believe Bleeder will come good...

remember is only tapes and the TTFF selections Maturana have to go by.....he did not get the chance to go see PFL games week in week out....tough job ..innit??...

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 06:32:12 AM »
truth be told my opinion of Bleeder has been tainted since the WC and leaving Falkirk after, cant say Ive seen him play since our last WC match...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »
I kinda conflicted bout Aurtis.....he disappoint mih after de WC.....we done have enough problems on de field, we doh need to be dealing wid off de field problems too....
So ah goh be glad if he come back but be professional about his approach to the game on and off de field......

Oh and BM, ah sorry eh but Theobald never impress and he probably never will.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 06:43:26 AM »
dais cool.....de man play 10 times more minutes that Latapy in de World Cup...yuh think i like him ??.....but Bleeder will come good

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 06:45:43 AM »
well i hope maturana know wa he doin

i see aurtis on carnival monday in a lil fender bender over the lady young and me and morvant was sayin why he not in bago look he in trini exchangin info and coastin

but as a pro league man i think fenrick had the side a lil to bulky at the beginning of the eseason and i think aurtis never really got football fit with him

in connection he looked like a new man but still always missin trainin

we go take him in cali like nuttin though  ;D

but wa kinda lala ting is dat wit the armband they does just rest it down??

so stern must assume he is the most experienced so it go be he own??

them is real imps yes
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
Hopefully this happens... Whitley was a boss...everyone deserves a second chance....  he can also play Left Wing... he used to play it when Latas started... it used to be Whitley and Latapy interchanging

That Guadeloupe Game helped players to gain experience
... Dont forget the "Fab 5"(Gray,Andrews,Lawrence,Avery,(they will get call backs-very close source)..Sancho(only one i am not sure of)..) still has to come back, and the Fab 5 will be complimented by the likes of J.James..Nigel Daniel..Telesford..Power..Akeil Edwards..Kern Cupid..Keston Wililams.. Randafah Abu Baker.. and many many others

In Midfield.. RW:Edwards..Tinto..Kerry Babtiste    CM: Theobald..Hyland..Oliver..Whitley..Spann(who can also play RW and RB)..Birchall..and others     LW:Samuel..C.Babtiste...(whitley can play LW as well as Glenn)

Strikers: Stern...Jones...Scotty...Roberts...Glenn..Sealy... and many others

And allyuh scared

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:17:35 AM by Small Magician aka Wazza »

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 07:09:11 AM »
... Dont forget the "Fab 5"(Gray,Andrews,Lawrence,Avery,(they will get call backs-very close source)..Sancho(only one i am not sure of)..) still has to come back

Das d Fab 5 or de Geriatric 5?  Altidore, Dempsey and dem young fellas go run dem ragged

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 07:12:51 AM »
... Dont forget the "Fab 5"(Gray,Andrews,Lawrence,Avery,(they will get call backs-very close source)..Sancho(only one i am not sure of)..) still has to come back

Das d Fab 5 or de Geriatric 5?  Altidore, Dempsey and dem young fellas go run dem ragged

Was up with your negativity these days...  COULD f**kING ZLATAN AND LARRSON RUN PAST THEM? 

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 07:21:17 AM »

Was up with your negativity these days...  COULD f**kING ZLATAN AND LARRSON RUN PAST THEM? 

Larrson is a ole man too!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »

hah I done yes... The ignorance too thick this morning... Class is Class...remember that

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:35 AM »
SM.....bringing them back is all well and good but when they planning to bring them together with the younger/newer players so that they could gel and not look as disjointed as they did on Wednesday??

We now looking to bring the team together when we should have never let them break apart in the first place....but say wha....everytime I think bout Jackula & Co. I want to scream....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »

I think he playing for some foreign club now, i don't know who he bull to get that contract :rotfl:

Babalawo....ah wonder if yuh miss the point Zandolie was throwin at yuh ?
Yuh see Dennis Theobald in bold...go figure  ;)

By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

WHITLEY WANTED

"I really prefer not to say (how John ended up with the armband)," said Corneal, "but we are not going to make an issue about that when there are so many other more important things to work on if we want to qualify (for the 2010 World Cup).
"In the end, as Francisco (Maturana) explained, the captain will show himself through his play and his ability to lead."
Neither John nor Theobald could be reached for comment on the temporary transfer of captaincy. Almost certainly, the captaincy issue pales in significance to the return of a fit and motivated Whitley.

But is how Corneal sounding so much like Jack....evading the issue of the captaincy.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 08:07:16 AM »
Cuz once de Jackula sink he fangs into yuh....instant Jakcula zombie....if yuh think ah lie, ask Scamps...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »
It have no denying otis is a boss. Just his head hadda sort out. however relying on him is a bad tactic......the man is 30 at the moment....will be 32 time 2010......get some youths in the mix too...so we eh hadda be scrambling looking for somebody.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
bring back birchall  ;D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »
Reasonable inquiry from Maturana. Again I don't think we are ina position to be cavalierly disregarding players. New emperor, new trumpet. Lehwe go.

That captaincy BS is disturbing. Repeatedly, when it comes to these lil issues, we gehhin dem wrong. Blam, blam, blam ... should be a nothing.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »

hah I done yes... The ignorance too thick this morning... Class is Class...remember that

Call it negativity or reality or whatever.  At the end of the day we can't just list a bunch of names on a piece of paper or in an internet forum, stand back and say 'Wow what a bomb squad...South Africa here we come!!'  The fact of the matter is the performances we putting down now against the likes of Guadeloupe etc. are closer to our normal level than the impressive results we had against Sweden and England in the World Cup.  Don't forget how we struggled to get past Guatemala, Mexico (who had already qualified) and Bahrain to reach Germany - and that was after umpteen training sessions and practice matches with the core of the squad playing together.
I would agree that on paper our players do have the talent to play some impressive football and achieve success in the Concacaf region, but the performances we had at the WC were the result of several weeks/months of the squad training and playing practice games together in the build up to Germany.  When are we ever going to have that happen again until/unless we qualify for another World Cup?  Until then we will have men flying in 2 or 3 days before a match, so it will take dozens of those sessions to get a decent brand of football going.  So let's not fool ourselves into thinking we're going to automatically pick up where we left off in Germany when we bring everyone back - we need to lower our expectations back to the level we were playing in the previous semi-final round of WCQ and the Hex.  Unfortunately, this time around we likely will not have the luxury of facing St. Vincent and St. Kitts so we require much more urgency in our preparations at an earlier stage than last time.  Let's see how it all unfolds...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:30:57 AM by arrow »

1]; } ?>